IGNORED

Audirvana 2.2 with iOS remote

If you can't restart playback by also selecting another track, ans it happens with any kind of audio file, this could be your DAC (its USB interface) crashing. Or the USB cable.

What is your DAC model? is the USB interface getting hot?

Hi,

Thank you for the prompt response!

When I meant restart, I was referring to the playback restart, i.e. stop (not pause) and then start. Not the Mac restart.

It happens and happened on 3 different macs, and 4 different audio interfaces.

One of these interfaces is built-in Intel (audio jack on a MBP) and Audioquest Dragonfly 1.2

What happens most of the time is that playback continues with no sound, and then it recovers itself with no action on my part. At times (rare) it will stop the playback towards the end of the song. In that case, it will stop it completely. No sound, no progress.

Stop and start (restart) of the playback recover it, but at times it will repeat the behavior.

In all the cases, no restart of the computer is required, only the restart (stop, not pause) of the playback is required.

Best regards,

Michael

if "Grouping" is empty it doesn't show in A+ nor does the Composer beside it (look at the attachment I posted: the lines in bold are the Grouping tag + Composer in paretheses. Both are automatically added if and only *if* the Grouping tag is filled)

Composer always (optionally) shows as a column in album view ;)

I am sorry to butt in about this point.

Being part of those who have adopted a consistent manner of naming tracks and filling their metadata over many years before Hi Res files and Audirvana+ were available, I am welcoming all these new possibilities Audirvana+ offers, but I do not see the sense in forcing the display of the Grouping metadata, if it contains anything, while playing a track.

Astute as one may consider the use of the Grouping field in the way Damien suggests, I have made for a long time a different use of that field, possibly like many other users, and I do not wish to be forced to change when I have dealt differently with the matter of classical music files.

The forced display of the Grouping field is felt as a frustrating distraction.

Somewhat I cannot help myself thinking it unhelpful that it is impossible to opt out of the forced display of the Grouping field while playing a track.

Since we are in the days building up to Christmas, I wish AudirSanta brought a way to make use of the Sort… fields many of us have cared to fill consistently over very many years.

Now, that would be helpful!

As for those who are not AudirSanta, Merry Christmas all.

Just released beta 13 for 2.3 (2.2.9.13) with:

• SQ optimization ;)

Damien

Hey guys, what do you think about SQ ?

on my system, il feel a good deep soundstage with great focus.

maybe less wide but very good impression of musicality.

No stress, no harsh.

i think Damien makes (as usual) à very good job on the 2.2.9.13

Windows PC server/ Target PC Diretta / Audirvana/ DAC W4S 10th anniversary/ Jadis DA60 / Wilson Audio Sophia 

Waldburg... I was very frustrated too, at first, when I found A+ was forcing the display of "Grouping" tag that I was using, since well before, for different purposes

Then I surrendered and moved those values to other tags leaving Grouping empty

I'm, now, starting using it the way Damien suggests (just when the Album contains "logical" subdivisions, *not* for, eg, Suite No.1, Suite No.2 etc and single movements as the tracks titles)

Though... I still find forcing the addition of composer too (taken from first following track) totally misleading (it only happens when tracks in a group are from different composers, *not* if composer is the same for all of them)

Example 1 - makes sense, it is clean and perfectly readable:

Screenshot 2.png

Example 2 - result is an unreadable mess plus is totally wrong (as each subsequent track has a different composer):

Screenshot 1.png

Truly hope Damien changes his mind at least on the "composer part"

... oh... and I'd also like that the "Grouping line" would scroll away altogether with its tracks, instead of sticking on top of the window with tracks scrolling away underneath ;)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall IV

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

Yes, but I am accustomed to Unix numbering from zero, so it doesn't bother me. :)

Also, I didn't suppose the currently playing selection needed numbering, since we already know when it plays.

Yes of course it isn't bothering.. Just mentioned it because it didn't use to be that way!

Mac Mini with JRMC26 or Audirvana  / Raspberry4B_4GB(GentooPlayer_LMS) / Raspberry Rpi3B+: Allo DigiOne(GentooPlayer) - M2Tech Evo DAC Two Plus/iPurifier2 - Schiit Vali 2 - Densen DM20pre/30pwr amps - Spendor SP2/3E, Sennheiser HD600 & HD25Aluminum - Audeze Sine

Cables: Vovox, DIY, Furutech. 

Portable sources: iPad, DELL Laptop with JRiver MC26

Waldburg... I was very frustrated too, at first, when I found A+ was forcing the display of "Grouping" tag that I was using, since well before, for different purposes

Then I surrendered and moved those values to other tags leaving Grouping empty

I'm, now, starting using it the way Damien suggests (just when the Album contains "logical" subdivisions, *not* for, eg, Suite No.1, Suite No.2 etc and single movements as the tracks titles)

Though... I still find forcing the addition of composer too (taken from first following track) totally misleading (it only happens when tracks in a group are from different composers, *not* if composer is the same for all of them)

Example 1 - makes sense, it is clean and perfectly readable:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22875[/ATTACH]

Example 2 - result is an unreadable mess plus is totally wrong (as each subsequent track has a different composer):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22876[/ATTACH]

Truly hope Damien changes his mind at least on the "composer part"

... oh... and I'd also like that the "Grouping line" would scroll away altogether with its tracks, instead of sticking on top of the window with tracks scrolling away underneath ;)

I got totally rid of the composer information for any non-classical tracks. Honestly, it is pretty much irrelevant for the selection elsewhere.

I got totally rid of the composer information for any non-classical tracks. Honestly, it is pretty much irrelevant for the selection elsewhere.

sorry, Musicophile, but I can't see why I should (be forced to) get rid :-0 of composers for non-classical

nor do I see why you say it is irrelevant: in the case of bands (as above) one might want to search/filter only tracks from a given composer (alone or amongst others). eg: not so many tracks credited to Syd Barrett, in Pink Floyd's discography ;)

and let's let alone everything Jazz: "covers" are almost the norm, there! ;)

@ Damien ...btw: for classical I do use Artist for composer (also repeating it as composer) and Album Artist for Conductor-Orchestra/Ensemble

in album view (tracklist) there's no option for an Album Artist column :-/ could you please add it? :-)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall IV

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

sorry, Musicophile, but I can't see why I should (be forced to) get rid :-0 of composers for non-classical

nor do I see why you say it is irrelevant: in the case of bands (as above) one might want to search/filter only tracks from a given composer (alone or amongst others). eg: not so many tracks credited to Syd Barrett, in Pink Floyd's discography ;)

and let's let alone everything Jazz: "covers" are almost the norm, there! ;)

@ Damien ...btw: for classical I do use Artist for composer (also repeating it as composer) and Album Artist for Conductor-Orchestra/Ensemble

in album view (tracklist) there's no option for an Album Artist column :-/ could you please add it? :-)

I wasn't forcing anything, I just provided an approach that works for me.

probably due to language barriers it came out a bit harsh and personal: sorry, it wasn't at all meant that way

I was only debating the matter

problem is current A+ behaviour *only works* for Classical albums by a single (or, maybe, different: haven't checked this case) composer(s) if/when "Grouping" is used for, eg, "Suite No.1 in E minor" and track titles for single movements

in *every* other scenario (including Classical "concept albums") the result is just a mess :-/

headphones system:

Could A+ give compatibility with DAPs like Astell&Kern ? it could be very nice to manage the playlist directly between A+ and DAPs ?

DAPs : Astell&Kern AK380 - Cowon X9

IEM/Headphones : Shure SE846 - Denon AHD600 - Sony 1RNC

Amp. : Centrance HiFi-M8 LX XL4

Macbook Pro 2011 > Audirvana Plus 2 + Remote IOS App > Cable AudioQuest USB PEARL 1.5 > Speaker Sony SRS-X99

Hey guys, what do you think about SQ ?

on my system, il feel a good deep soundstage with great focus.

maybe less wide but very good impression of musicality.

No stress, no harsh.

i think Damien makes (as usual) à very good job on the 2.2.9.13

The latest beta is better than previous ones but it is still not at the stellar level of 2.2.4 & 2.2.9.6

IsoTek evo3 Sirius⎪Late 2009 27" iMac 20GB w/SSD, 10.10.x ➤Audirvana Plus 3.0.x (Exclusive Direct Integer Mode 1, NOS) & Qobuz HiFi Sublime+ ➤Curious Cables ➤UpTone Audio ISO REGEN (UpTone Audio UltraCap LPS-1 (Breeze Audio R-Core Linear PSU)) ➤UpTone Audio USPCB ➤iFi micro iDAC2 running v5.2a (Bit-Perfect) serving:

➤Nobsound SE OTL headphone amp on Herbie's Soft Tenderfoot (selected tubes with Herbie's UltraSonic Rx) with IsoTek evo3 Premier power cable⎪Audez'e LCD-2 Rev. 2 on Moon Audio Silver Dragon V3 Premium cable

➤Audioengine A5+ with AudioQuest Power NRG-1 cable

➤iFi micro iTube2 ➤Denon AVR-A100 100th Anniversary Edition with IsoTek evo3 Premier power cable on IsoTek evo3 Aquarius⎪B&W 804 D3 bi-amped on Inakustik cables

The album artist is the same for all the tracks in the album. So I don't see the point of having a column with the same value for all rows.

It's displayed in the panel above the list.

I'll add a check for the composer to not display it if it is not the same for all tracks in the grouping. Though this may find its way in a 2.3.1 as I intend to release 2.3 for Christmas.

Last feature I'm adding is Qobuz playlists browsing from A+ Remote as this one can be without an update of the Remote.

MBP 15"/Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Audioquest Diamond USB, AMR DP-777, exD DSD DAC (for DSD), Pioneer N-70AE, Audioquest Niagara balanced/Viard Audio Design Silver HD, Accuphase E-560, Cabasse Sumatra MT420

The album artist is the same for all the tracks in the album. So I don't see the point of having a column with the same value for all rows.

ok but.... "Artist" and "Composer" too are, for Classical music albums, "quite often" the same for every track and both are available

I'm using the Artist tag for Composer (let's not get into this: the debate risks going philosophical :P ) so, for Classical music only, I have two duplicated columns (Artist and Composer) with, 8 times out 10, the very same values all identical :(

I'll add a check for the composer to not display it if it is not the same for all tracks in the grouping. Though this may find its way in a 2.3.1 as I intend to release 2.3 for Christmas.

great news (both): thank you :)

headphones system:

The non-standard approach is iTunes, not Audirvana.

Buy Yate (or equivalent) and fix your album art then Audirvana and every other music app can see it now and forever more.

Well, I am am Mac user and have been for fifteen years (that's why I got Audirvana btw) - and I don't see why I should apologize for that or why I should burden myself with the ridiculuos amount of work of sorting my whole library (tenthousands of files!!) anew. I really wish Audirvana would incorporate iTunes' (may it be non-standard) way of labeling its music files instead of expecting all its costumers who have been using iTunes for years to redo most of their work!

As long as Audirvana doesn't help with this problem, I won't be completely pleased with it. I sure hope it will though at some point.

This has been stated several times before in the various Audirvana threads, but since Yuletide is coming …

1. Metadata automatically populated by iTunes aren't embedded in the corresponding audio files. Metadata manually added/edited by the user are. This includes album art. Metadata in the latter category is handled by iTunes according to de facto standards and is shown correctly in every player I've tried (well … to be honest only some of my ALAC album art show up in DeaDBeeF, but …).
  2. Several versions back Damien added an option to Audirvana's iTunes-sync feature that lets the user import and embed non-embedded metadata from an iTunes library. Why not try it out?

"It is commonly accepted amongst authentic libertines that the sensations communicated by the organs of hearing are the most flattering and those impressions are the liveliest" (Donatien Alphonse François de Sade)

This has been stated several times before in the various Audirvana threads, but since Yuletide is coming …

1. Metadata automatically populated by iTunes aren't embedded in the corresponding audio files. Metadata manually added/edited by the user are. This includes album art. Metadata in the latter category is handled by iTunes according to de facto standards and is shown correctly in every player I've tried (well … to be honest only some of my ALAC album art show up in DeaDBeeF, but …).
  2. Several versions back Damien added an option to Audirvana's iTunes-sync feature that lets the user import and embed non-embedded metadata from an iTunes library. Why not try it out?

Of course I've tried that feature... several times! Checked the box to 'select all' and ran it, but it never works!! :(

Wow! I am impressed...

Does that include filling automatically the Grouping field in the "holyer than thou" way too?

thought not…. ?

Thank you all for the additions to my todo list ;)

FYI, A+ Remote 1.1 with selectable album view instead of tracks for playlists, ... is next.

For now, this should be the last beta for 2.3: 2.2.9.14

It brings Qobuz playlists browsing in A+ Remote, and fixes:

• Fix Comments not available in library album tracks list, and make it single line display
  • Fix columns setup for detail tracks list not saved when switching album/playlist
  • Fix columns selection menu in Mavericks
  • Fix incorrect playlist/play queue index displayed in tracks list view

MBP 15"/Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Audioquest Diamond USB, AMR DP-777, exD DSD DAC (for DSD), Pioneer N-70AE, Audioquest Niagara balanced/Viard Audio Design Silver HD, Accuphase E-560, Cabasse Sumatra MT420

thank you Damien :)

and one more line for your to do list :P : when filtering (searching) the Library in Album view, the "status bar" shows the correct number of albums found but total tracks and total playtime still are those for whole library :-/

headphones system:

Sound quality is terrific, Damien - outstanding clarity. Don't know how you continue to do it, but thank you.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.