IGNORED

Fuse replacement in an Aurender

Here's a question: I have an Aurender N100H. I'd like to upgrade the fuses, so I pulled the fuse holder and there are two, 2 amp fuses! I suspect that one is a spare.. I did email Aurender and haven't heard back. Has anyone replaced the fuses and is one actually a spare?

I have an X100 and am very curious to hear about what your observations are after the fuse swap. I've used Hi-Fi Tuning Supreme fuses in my Ayre DAC, pre, and power amp and have been happy with the results... Hadn't yet considered a fuse upgrade to the Aurender.

• 2 weeks later...

I've replaced the stock fuses with HiFi Tuning Supremes. For the cost I'd say it's a no-brainer. First impression was clearly more detailed, better timbre, slightly more articulate bass and bass weight, bit more sparkle in the highs, and just more realistic. More good everything... Am looking forward to some close listening this weekend, once everything is settled in. Pic attached for directional fuse orientation... image.jpg

Check out the following review. I agree with the reviewer's comments and feel they are fitting in the case of my X100s. I've replaced all the fuses in my Ayre gear and found similar effect. The only difference I'd say amongst my components is the degree of effect realized (but we're talking marginal degree of effect differences between components). Across all my gear, including the X100s, the effect is a wee bit on the subtle side but absolutely noticeable and worth the cost. Definitely a lifting of a veil (or two depending on how resolving your gear is). Why it works, especially in the case of the Aurender, baffles me... My guess is that it simply has something to do with improved flow of electrons...

fuses

A few weeks ago I blew a channel when the speaker cable touched when I was moving it. So I had some car fuses that fit just fine and never thought about it again until I read this post. After reading this post I bought 3 Hifi Tuning Supreme fuses for my amp 1 for each channel and one for the power and I have to write that they made a large improvement in the sound. I do not know a lot of hi fi lingo all I can say is it went from good to very good. The Aurender fuses are next and maybe the Vaga too.

Gentlemen,

I urge everyone to try the new RED fuses by Synergistic Research. I have tried several others, including the Supreme, and IMHO the RED out performed the rest.

Ambassador for Sound Galleries Monaco and Taiko Audio The Netherlands 

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

Sound Galleries SGM 2015 Music Server>ROON-all rates up-sampled to DSD512 by HQ Player>Sablon Reserva 2017 USB>T+A DAC 8 DSD>Merrill Audio Veritas Ncore NC1200 Mono Amps>B&W 802D>High Fidelity Cables Interconnect, Speaker & Power Cords for Amps & SGM & T+A>Power Conditioning High Fidelity MC-6 Hemisphere>T+A & Hemisphere supported by Stillpoints Ultra Mini - B&W 802D & Veritas supported by Stillpoints Ultra SS>All sitting on IKEA Aptitlig bamboo butcher blocks - Taiko Audio Setchi active grounding on SGM & T+A

I recently found out that changing fuses can void the warranty by some manufacturers. I was very interested in this area until I was told by a senior audiophile that this is an area best left alone. Of course benefits are there to be found but please check with the manufacturer of your gear if they are okay with changing fuses before proceeding.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

What color fuse do you recommend for the women?

Pink or nude blush, lol

Hey, I don't name them, I just report how well they perform.

Try it, you will like it.

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

Sound Galleries SGM 2015 Music Server>ROON-all rates up-sampled to DSD512 by HQ Player>Sablon Reserva 2017 USB>T+A DAC 8 DSD>Merrill Audio Veritas Ncore NC1200 Mono Amps>B&W 802D>High Fidelity Cables Interconnect, Speaker & Power Cords for Amps & SGM & T+A>Power Conditioning High Fidelity MC-6 Hemisphere>T+A & Hemisphere supported by Stillpoints Ultra Mini - B&W 802D & Veritas supported by Stillpoints Ultra SS>All sitting on IKEA Aptitlig bamboo butcher blocks - Taiko Audio Setchi active grounding on SGM & T+A

Pink or nude blush, lol

Hey, I don't name them, I just report how well they perform.

Try it, you will like it.

I have not tried any of the Synergistic fuses. However their marketing of some of their other products leaves me generally in a skeptical frame of mind regarding the rest of them.

I did try a couple of different fuses in my DAC (the power inlet incorporates the fuse holder, making quick changes easy) and thought I heard a difference, though who knows how reliable that was; so I'm open to the idea fuses might make a difference.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Jud, wgscott.

While I too have been skeptical of many claims in "Audio" I also try to keep in open mind and I am willing to try when a company offers a money back 30 day home trial (not just Synergistic). And at times I have faith in the designers, Alex and John as an example with the Regen. As some other examples.

1) Power Cords: I could try 100 different and 80-90 on a good day will all basically sound the same and not make any worthwhile improvement. The remainder will have a few that really make a worthwhile difference in the improvement to the sound based on their cost. So one may try many different PC and think none make a difference, let alone a worthwhile one.

2) Fuses: Thats right, fuses. As I said I have tried a few over the years. And as hard as I tried almost all left me wanting. Just two made a slight improvement and I do mean SLIGHT. The Supreme and Synergistics previous fuse the Quantum.

Well I can be a glutton for punishment so I tried the new RED fuse. This was not hard to hear.

wgscott;

Look, I could make a loooong list, and so could all Audiophiles. But my feeling is this, and I say this in the most respectful way, until you have put your money were your mouth is...

Think of all the CRAZY things that NO ONE thought would of, could of made a difference in the sound.

JUST a few years ago (if that) USB cables COULD NOT possible make a difference.

Jitter below a certain number COULD NOT...(well phase)

Changing the power supply in a PC COULD NOT...

Software...

and on and on and on...

And maybe in your system you will not hear a difference. But maybe you will.

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

I've replaced the stock fuses with HiFi Tuning Supremes. For the cost I'd say it's a no-brainer. First impression was clearly more detailed, better timbre, slightly more articulate bass and bass weight, bit more sparkle in the highs, and just more realistic. More good everything... Am looking forward to some close listening this weekend, once everything is settled in. Pic attached for directional fuse orientation... [ATTACH=CONFIG]20028[/ATTACH]

I'm glad you found meaningful improvement in the fuse upgrade. I have an Aurender N100, but I'm not sure having to replace two fuses at a cost of $200.00 can be called a "no brainer". Of course, all things are relative.

JC

I'm glad you found meaningful improvement in the fuse upgrade. I have an Aurender N100, but I'm not sure having to replace two fuses at a cost of $200.00 can be called a "no brainer". Of course, all things are relative.

JC

About 120$ I believe as they are the small fuses.

The cost was slightly over $100 from the Cable Company, including shipping to Canada.

Compared to the cost of the X100, the cash outlay was definitely worth it; given the improvement gained... I had a chance to do some close listening last night with everything now having fully settled in together.

There is definitely resolution that wasn't there prior... I was listening to songs I know very well and was hearing details that were simply never there ever before. I'm not referring to an aspect of a given song becoming more resolved, but rather entire elements of the music that I'd never noticed before.

I'd also say that the music became a bit more lifelike, like it was happening 'with me' vs 'before me' in the room. The pace, timing, and rhythm is improved, which lends to this aspect. It's as though the band members were really nailing their performance, vs playing a bit off from one another...

There was also enough of an effect on the focus of the sound that I was able to toe out my speakers slightly, expanding the soundstage but all the while maintaining focused imaging across the entire soundstage.

Money well spent in my mind. :)

• 5 months later...
I've replaced the stock fuses with HiFi Tuning Supremes. For the cost I'd say it's a no-brainer. First impression was clearly more detailed, better timbre, slightly more articulate bass and bass weight, bit more sparkle in the highs, and just more realistic. More good everything... Am looking forward to some close listening this weekend, once everything is settled in. Pic attached for directional fuse orientation... [ATTACH=CONFIG]20028[/ATTACH]

Do I assume correctly that the "F" stands for fast blow?

*ANTIPODES CX--- Ethernet--->

*CARY DMS-600 STREAMER/DAC---> XLR ICs--->

*CARY SLP-05 preamp (Ultimate Upgrade ed.)---> XLR ICs--->

*CLAYTON M-300 amps--->

*MARTIN LOGAN Spire speakers.

I removed the fuses that were in my X100 and Googled the values depicted on them. Replaced with better quality ones of same value. From memory I thought they were slow blow but I could be mistaken. Possible that values may vary from one model to the next so I'd suggest checking what is in yours.