IGNORED

The "Official" Aurender Discussion Thread

6 minutes ago, maxijazz said:

99% of time it depends on company’s ownership and management.

If company is ran by „original” (co-)owner/founder, then it isn’t always about money.

If company is ran by CEO-for-hire, it is 99% about money.

It's worth defining what "it" is.

Is "it" why Aurender has resisted Roon for so long?

Or is "it" why Aurender finally relented and accepted Roon?

Or is "it" something else entirely?

3 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Do you have inside information that nobody else has?

Only what has been posted here and on AudioShark.  I have no particular personal inside scoop.  It is my understanding that part of the shift to Intel was to allow for the Roon option.

As part of some reverse logic, the possible Roon integration has been discussed quite a bit on this thread as of late and Ari has never shot it down with the traditional Aurender maxims about how they have no plans to integrate Roon because of sound quality and product control.  While not proof, it is a worthwhile observation.

Also, on AudioShark, one of the active members in that future of Roon thread is a guy named Mike who is an Aurender dealer and he has been talking like Roon integration is a foregone conclusion.

However, all of that likely would not pass the Supreme Court's restrictions on hearsay.  Fair point counselor 😂 

10 minutes ago, DancingSea said:

Only what has been posted here and on AudioShark.  I have no particular personal inside scoop.  It is my understanding that part of the shift to Intel was to allow for the Roon option.

As part of some reverse logic, the possible Roon integration has been discussed quite a bit on this thread as of late and Ari has never shot it down with the traditional Aurender maxims about how they have no plans to integrate Roon because of sound quality and product control.  While not proof, it is a worthwhile observation.

Also, on AudioShark, one of the active members in that future of Roon thread is a guy named Mike who is an Aurender dealer and he has been talking like Roon integration is a foregone conclusion.

However, all of that likely would not pass the Supreme Court's restrictions on hearsay.  Fair point counselor 😂 

I should've typed more, but just walked in the door from the vet with my tiny chihuahua and had my hands full :~)

I think we should be careful with language. Using the term relent, as in Aurender relented, presupposes information that we don't have. It could very well be the case, but it's speculation. 

Perhaps there is finally enough customer demand or a management change or any number of reasons. I've covered this company since its inception and have used nearly every product it has ever produced, and one or two that never made it to production. Perhaps my sensitivity to accuracy over speculation is a bit heightened. 

All good though, nothing personal. 

I was just thinking this morning about Roon and Aurender. I'm sure I will eventually try it, but I don't think I'll use it much. it would feel awkward, like oil and water. the two approaches have traditionally been so different. Plus, my Roon usage over all has taken a nose dive. When it first came out I was all-in, but have since cooled quite a bit. 

Screenshot 2024-01-17 at 12.04.10 PM.png

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

8 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I should've typed more, but just walked in the door from the vet with my tiny chihuahua and had my hands full :~)

Yes, something far more important than all of this madness.  Hope the little one is ok.

In the future, for each sentence  I'll be sure to proved three verb options for each verb written so readers may select the verb they prefer.

For instance:

Aurender finally a) relented, b) surrendered, or c) embraced Roon integration after years on the run ;)

I love Roon.  It's fantastic.  I have a lifetime license.  I use it maybe once a month because I'm into to physical media these days and my Aurender wipes the floor with it on sound quality.

4 hours ago, DancingSea said:

... on AudioShark, one of the active members in that future of Roon thread is a guy named Mike who is an Aurender dealer and he has been talking like Roon integration is a foregone conclusion.

That's Mike Bovaird who's the owner of Suncoast Audio in Florida and AudioShark is his website.

He later jokingly says: "It’s coming. It’s been the worst kept secret in high end audio."

I am now the owner of a (pre-owned) Aurender N200 and it is fully living up to my expectations. The sound quality has moved decisively up the audiophile ladder, compared to the Bryston BDP-2 the N200 has replaced. Much clearer placement of the various instruments, while retaining overall coherence and all the emotional content.

My delight in the N200’s performance isn’t intended as a knock on Bryston. I’ve used their BDP-1 and BDP-2 contentedly for many years, and my DAC remains the BDA-3. 

Which brings me to the one small issue I’m experiencing. The BDA-3 is capable of processing native DSD. For a while, it was working. (I know because the BDA distinguishes between DoP and native DSD by using two different-coloured LEDs.) But I lost that function when I upgraded the firmware on the N200. The Conductor app now insists that my DAC is not native DSD capable, so it won’t let me flip the ‘switch’ to the ‘on’ position.

I have put in a service call via the Conductor app. I haven’t received a response yet (not even an acknowledgement) but admittedly I sent the service call on Friday evening, just as the weekend started. 

So I thought I would reach out to the knowledgeable folks on this forum to see if anyone has a work-around. I know DSD is still DSD even if it’s transferred via DoP, so I’m not losing anything in terms of sound quality. I just want the satisfaction of seeing the LED on the BDA-3 switch from green to yellow. I’ve waited years for that. (The BDP still doesn’t output native DSD, although Bryston has promised it’s coming.) 

Aurender N200 music server, Bryston BDA-3 DAC, PS Audio BHK Signature preamp, Bryston 4B3 power amp, and Diapason Adamantes III monitor speakers. Power cords from AudioQuest and Shunyata; interconnects from Silnote Audio.

52 minutes ago, NTWrong said:

The Conductor app now insists that my DAC is not native DSD capable, so it won’t let me flip the ‘switch’ to the ‘on’ position.

I recently encountered this issue.  Conductor V3 said my DAC is not capable of native DSD, even though it is. 

However, in V4 my dac was recognized and native DSD was enabled. 

Have you tried it in V4?

It then remains in native DSD mode thereafter using either V3 or V4. 

7 hours ago, DancingSea said:

Have you tried it in V4?

Thanks for the suggestion. I am already using V4 but I might switch to V3 to see what happens! No harm in trying!

Aurender N200 music server, Bryston BDA-3 DAC, PS Audio BHK Signature preamp, Bryston 4B3 power amp, and Diapason Adamantes III monitor speakers. Power cords from AudioQuest and Shunyata; interconnects from Silnote Audio.

On 1/21/2024 at 8:14 PM, NTWrong said:

Thanks for the suggestion. I am already using V4 but I might switch to V3 to see what happens! No harm in trying!

I kind of recall coming across a similar situation, but I don't listen to much DSD content, so I didn't pay a great deal of attention.

When I joined the Aurender Beta Tester program and downloaded V4 (1.23.424), I believe that DSD issue in my system was resolved (but I can't guarantee it).

I'd suggest looking to see which V4 release you are using, and upgrade to 1.23.424. See if that makes a difference. Regardless, 1.23.424 is improved over the general release V4, so well worth using.

Audio Note AN-E SPx AlNiCo, Audio Note P4 Tonmeister 300B Balanced Monos, Bricasti Audio M21 DAC,  Aurender N30SA, Esoteric UX3-Pi, Audio Note Sogon, SPx and WyWires cabling, Environmental Potentials EP-2050 Whole House AC Filter, Torus TOT Mini Isolation Transformer, Dedicated Audio AC Circuit

8 hours ago, GJo said:

I kind of recall coming across a similar situation, but I don't listen to much DSD content, so I didn't pay a great deal of attention.

When I joined the Aurender Beta Tester program and downloaded V4 (1.23.424), I believe that DSD issue in my system was resolved (but I can't guarantee it).

I'd suggest looking to see which V4 release you are using, and upgrade to 1.23.424. See if that makes a difference. Regardless, 1.23.424 is improved over the general release V4, so well worth using.

Thanks for the suggestion. I checked and that’s the version of the firmware that I have. I updated it when I got the N200. 

Meanwhile, I still haven’t heard back from Aurender support. I emailed them again.

16 minutes ago, NTWrong said:

Thanks for the suggestion. I checked and that’s the version of the firmware that I have. I updated it when I got the N200. 

Version 1.23.424 I mentioned is the Conductor4 app software version.

It’s not a device’s firmware version.  

You may have meant software, not firmware, but you mentioned updating it when you got your N200, which usually refers to firmware, so I wanted to clarify the difference. 

Audio Note AN-E SPx AlNiCo, Audio Note P4 Tonmeister 300B Balanced Monos, Bricasti Audio M21 DAC,  Aurender N30SA, Esoteric UX3-Pi, Audio Note Sogon, SPx and WyWires cabling, Environmental Potentials EP-2050 Whole House AC Filter, Torus TOT Mini Isolation Transformer, Dedicated Audio AC Circuit

39 minutes ago, NTWrong said:

Meanwhile, I still haven’t heard back from Aurender support. I emailed them again.

Aurender support seems to be a one man band....

OK boys and girls -  Yesterday I had  a conversation with Kelly regarding some issues I have been having with the software for version 4 and also help with creating playlists.  Ari was very, very good with customer service, however he may have "met his match" with Kelly.   Aurender customer service is still is great hands.  Kelly was able to explain in depth and solve all my issues.  Great job. Hopefully Kelly has some help with all the issues they may be facing.  Onward.

I'm interested to know folks' experience with external word clocks and their Aurender devices, particularly Mutec word clocks. The Mutec REF10 looks interesting to me based on comments I've read elsewhere.

Aurender's word clock is too expensive, so it's not under consideration. 

I have done a topic search and haven't found much activity on this.

Anyone tried a Mutec word clock?

9 minutes ago, GJo said:

I'm interested to know folks' experience with external word clocks and their Aurender devices, particularly Mutec word clocks. The Mutec REF10 looks interesting to me based on comments I've read elsewhere.

Aurender's word clock is too expensive, so it's not under consideration. 

I have done a topic search and haven't found much activity on this.

Anyone tried a Mutec word clock?

The important point is to keep in mind is that a single clock is a good thing, in a system with multiple devices. From there, it's a matter of which clock will work best with one's system and within one's budget. 

I have the amazing Aurender MC20 clock and love it, but I also realize it isn't cheap. I've also used dCS clocks with a W20SE and Rossini DAC. 

I have good reason to believe the Mutec REF10, that @Superdad is now representing here in the US, would be an excellent choice to pair with an Aurender.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Bear in mind that the MC20 is designed to be paired with only a select group of very sophisticated DACs. The MC10, at a much lower cost point, is for all the others. I am told that the MC20 does not improve the performance of the MC10, again unless one has one of the select high-end DACs. 

23 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

The important point is to keep in mind is that a single clock is a good thing, in a system with multiple devices. From there, it's a matter of which clock will work best with one's system and within one's budget. 

I have the amazing Aurender MC20 clock and love it, but I also realize it isn't cheap. I've also used dCS clocks with a W20SE and Rossini DAC. 

I have good reason to believe the Mutec REF10, that @Superdad is now representing here in the US, would be an excellent choice to pair with an Aurender.

Thanks.

My DAC - Bricasti M1 Series 2 - does not have a word clock input. Would that reduce the efficacy of an external clock to the extent that the benefit of a Mutec REF10 would be marginal?

Just now, GJo said:

Thanks.

My DAC - Bricasti M1 Series 2 - does not have a word clock input. Would that reduce the efficacy of an external clock to the extent that the benefit of a Mutec REF10 would be marginal?

That's more debatable than a straight forward "everything is clockable" type setup. If you use a connection like AES or S/PDIF, that depend heavily on a good clock, there's room for improvement. If you use USB, where the clock is in the DAC, we get into a technical vs personal experience type of situation. As usual, it goes oth ways, with people on both sides of this one. 

Just now, The Computer Audiophile said:

That's more debatable than a straight forward "everything is clockable" type setup. If you use a connection like AES or S/PDIF, that depend heavily on a good clock, there's room for improvement. If you use USB, where the clock is in the DAC, we get into a technical vs personal experience type of situation. As usual, it goes oth ways, with people on both sides of this one. 

I use AES (after having compared to USB). 

I have a M21 Bricasti using AES.  I’ve noticed a nice improvement using a MC10.  I also did not use the stock cables

2 Channel: Bricasti M20, 21 & M28 SE /Aurender N30SA and MC10 Master clock Treatments: Acoustical panels(F, S & R walls) Misc.: SR Master Fuses

Speakers: Martin Logan CLX ART (Dark Cherry) w/30# weights / 2-ML 212's 

Grounding: QKore 1&6 / Networking: SOtM switch, clock and Pwr Supply / AQ Diamond /SR Router Power: Furutech GTX-DNCF / Oyaide inwall  wire

Nordost: 2-QB8 III, QV2's, QK1's, QSine, QWave, QX4, TC Kones, Sort Fut & LIft / Full OG Loom / 3-QSource & 12-QPoints, QNet, V2 Network

Misc.: iPad 6 /Custom Rack  Media Rm: ML: 13A's, 2-Descent i's, 6- Vanquish, Focus / 3-Parasound A23 / Legacy iV-3 Ultra / 77" LG 4k OLED / Anthem AVM90 / Pioneer Elite DVD Nordost: Odin/T2/H2, BC Kones, H2 Network, V2 HDMI

13 minutes ago, michaelD said:

I have a M21 Bricasti using AES.  I’ve noticed a nice improvement using a MC10.  I also did not use the stock cables

Thanks. That's helpful.

Would you please explain not using the stock cables? Which stock cables?

What cables specifically are you using instead? Nordost?