IGNORED

Article: Auralic Aries Review

Very nice job Chris.

One thing that I'd like to add about USB or any type of network storage. This device is nice as it allows someone to purchase the ARIES first and use their current USB Drive and then purchase a NAS should they decide they want or need to. I think this is a great selling point of the ARIES. It's literally switching out your current computer or whatever you use and you're ready to go or buy this and a small HD. Simple.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Very nice job Chris.

One thing that I'd like to add about USB or any type of network storage. This device is nice as it allows someone to purchase the ARIES first and use their current USB Drive and then purchase a NAS should they decide they want or need to. I think this is a great selling point of the ARIES. It's literally switching out your current computer or whatever you use and you're ready to go or buy this and a small HD. Simple.

Thanks for the kind words. You make a very good point.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Interesting review from you Chris. I was wondering if you would review this. As always I appreciate your no-nonsense style. My main criticism of this review is that the main dac used to review the device is limited to SPDIF/AES source. The single biggest feature that sets the Aries apart is the optimized USB output with support for DSD and resolutions beyond 192. Using the AlphaRS for your review really doesn't allow you to evaluate these capabilities which are the Aries's most compelling features.

From the Audiostream review I was (perhaps mistakenly) under the impression that the AES output of the Aries might not be quite on par with its USB output or the AES outputs of some other streamers. Obviously this could be system dependent and zillions of variable could be at play. But you noted that the Alpha USB worked with the Aries. Did you compare Aries->(AES)->AlphaRS vs Aries->(USB)->Alpha USB->(AES)->AlphaRS?

An interesting comparison for the Aries in your setup with the AlphaRS would be the NAD M50 streamer because the AlphaRS is limited to 192 and SPDIF/AES inputs. The M50/Bluesound is a different, closed non-DLNA ecosystem with its own dedicated app, but it works exceptionally well and you can mix the playlists from your local library and your online streaming services seamlessly.

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open

A that is a homerun for Chris again! Thanks.

I will come back for more question but most importantly, for now:

You said "My XMOS based Berkeley Audio Design Alpha USB works without issue while connected to the Aries".

Does it means you used your Alpha USB most of the time, or you just tested it ok, and used mostly the direct connection Aries to DAC?

It would be so interesting to know if you compared the SPDIF and USB outputs of the Aries, but that would mean to

According to some, USB is more "rolled off" or soft sounding...

Thanks!

A that is a homerun for Chris again! Thanks.

I will come back for more question but most importantly, for now:

You said "My XMOS based Berkeley Audio Design Alpha USB works without issue while connected to the Aries".

Does it means you used your Alpha USB most of the time, or you just tested it ok, and used mostly the direct connection Aries to DAC?

It would be so interesting to know if you compared the SPDIF and USB outputs of the Aries, but that would mean to

According to some, USB is more "rolled off" or soft sounding...

Thanks!

I used a direct AES connection most of the time because the Alpha USB costs more than the Aries and I don't think it's a practical option for most Aries customers. Don't get me wrong, I recommend it for Aries customers, but the cost is likely prohibitive at close to $2,000.

Using the Alpha USB in the chain does sound a bit better, but it should because it's the best USB to AES converter i've ever used.

I used the Alpha DAC RS in this review because it's the best DAC i've ever heard and it enables me to get the clearest picture of what the other components are doing. Yes the RS price is $16,000, but as a review tool it can't be beat.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

My XMOS Stello U2 unit works great with the Aries. The AES did not play well with my AudioNoteKits DAC 4.1, with a lot of stuttering. I recently got the 1.11 update, so I'll give it another go sometime.

I do like the Aries, the sound beats my 3-4 year old fanless PC I was using to feed the DAC. I figure it to be a nice upgrade. I use a win8.1 server with Minimserver. I'm still playing with PC based control programs (Kinsky mainly), until Auralic releases a Lightning DS program for PC and or Mac.

[Home Digital] MSB Premier DAC > Modright LS300 > Atma-Sphere "Class D" Monoblocks > Daedalus Audio Muse Studio Speakers

[Home Analog] Technics SL-1200G > Boulder 508 (Benz Glider SL)

[Office] Laptop > Kitsune R2R lvl3 > Violectric V281 > Meze Liric / Meze Elite

[Travel] Laptop/iPad -> Focal Bathys

Very nice job Chris.

I enjoyed this review but am still confused as to whether or not I would even be able to use this product. I had wanted to purchase it some time ago when it was first released but never quite understood how it would work in my setup. Perhaps someone could help me decide if this product would work for me. I plan to use it as part of a headphone setup in my den, but I don't have access to an ethernet port in that room. My internet speeds are pretty slow due to an old router (802.11b) so I don't think wireless would be an option either. I've considered using a Hard Drive, but as I download a lot of music, I wouldn't want to have to keep transfering new music to it everytime I downloaded something. Are there any other options or is there a way to make it work with what I've got. Also, I don't have an iPad, but I do own an iPhone, will that work with the Aries too?

As I'm not very computer literate. I very much appreciate Auralic decision to include USB drive support. It's so very easy to add music files or delete a song or whole album from your flash drive where as deleting a song or album on a NAS can get very complicated quickly. Great review.

2 Ch stereo

Auralic Aries>Wireworld AES>Kitsune Holo Spring DAC L3>Van Den Hul-The Second balance cable>Sonic Euphoria (fully balance autoformer)>Van Den Hul-The Second balance cable>D-Sonic M3-1200S-A (Anaview AMS1000-2600)>Synergistic Tesla Accelerator cable>Ohm 3000 speakers plus Omni Harmonizer super tweeter

Thanks for a great review, Chris!

I'd like to say my own findings regarding Aries largely match yours.

Over the past couple of months I've had the opportunity to demo an Aries/Vega combination to a few audiophile friends at their homes, and the comments were always very favorable, even from those who've had a strong preference for analog gear. Aries apparently can make some DACs sound better than being driven by other sources, especially over USB, and the Aries/Vega combo sounds neither like analog or digital, but better, with a stronger "live" feel, realistic instrument & vocal sizing and deep yet accurate soundstage. Aries and Vega are each very good, but the combination is just awesome. I set the Vega DAC to linear phase filter and "Exact" clocking mode and wait 1+ hour for the unit to settle down before starting auditions, and the results are always very satisfying. Vega power is run through a balanced transformer which seems to help also. I've been listening to Aries/Vega a lot with HD 800 headphones in balanced mode driven by a Bryston BHA-1 headphone amp, but I just bought an Auralic Taurus MkII headphone amp and can't wait to add it to the Auralic stack. 16/44.1 content playing through Aries/Vega sounds so good it led me to believe high resolution audio being largely unnecessary, and I frankly could not tell any difference between 16/44.1 and 24/96 (or 24/192) of the same content, even with careful and extended listening. Auralic is that good. I also found a USB flash drive that delivers slightly better sound from Aries than it streaming from a WS2012R2/Minimserver-based fanless x86 box over either wireless or Ethernet, but the difference there is quite small. Aries has such a killer combination of great sound quality and ease of use I'm contemplating getting a second unit.

Chris-

Thanks for the review.

You just published a review of the Sonore Signature Rendu. Do you have a preference of one over the other in terms of SQ?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I gather that most of your listening was done using Aries over AES to the Alpha DAC RS. Did you get a chance to listen to DSD? Any opinions?

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

The Bareilles albums, this live one you point to as well as "The Blessed Unrest" are available on HDTracks at higher res. Not sure how much diff this makes in these particular recordings (Blessed Unrest sounds good but I think I hear some compression) but just FYI...

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

system pics

The Bareilles albums, this live one you point to as well as "The Blessed Unrest" are available on HDTracks at higher res. Not sure how much diff this makes in these particular recordings (Blessed Unrest sounds good but I think I hear some compression) but just FYI...

Thanks! Downloading now. ;-)

Jason,

What kinda difference do you think it will make throwing a soon to come REGEN device on the end of the USB output here. Speculation welcome.

I have no idea but I'm willing to try. ;-)

And BTW I also recommend her album "Little Voice" (CD only AFAIK). The song Gravity is gorgeous in this album. Pretty nice recording too.

system pics