IGNORED

Article: The TIDAL HIFI Revolution Starts Today

OK, if I understand this, I use the Mac app. But, then, I'm not using Audirvana or other similar software. Does the Tidal Mac app, bypassing iTunes and the Mac dac, not need an application such as Audirvana to 'make it sound better'?

Main: sonicTransporter I5>etherRegen>opticalRendu/ghent/UltraCap 1.2> WireWorld Platinum>YGGY Atma-sphere MP-1 3.1> Hegel 30> Maggie 1.7, REL SE 212: Zero Autoformers, Interconnects , Analysis Plus Silver Oval-In, Nordost Heimdall, Power Cables: Synergistic./Shunyata>Chang Litespeed 

HT:Dish>OPPO>Marantz>Hegel> 3-Maggies/2-Quads>REL Gibraltar>Custom Wire loom>APS>Samsung Plasma 55"

OK, if I understand this, I use the Mac app. But, then, I'm not using Audirvana or other similar software. Does the Tidal Mac app, bypassing iTunes and the Mac dac, not need an application such as Audirvana to 'make it sound better'?

This will be an entire new conversation I'm sure.

I just tested both the new Mac app and the web client through Chrome and both tested bit perfect.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Main: sonicTransporter I5>etherRegen>opticalRendu/ghent/UltraCap 1.2> WireWorld Platinum>YGGY Atma-sphere MP-1 3.1> Hegel 30> Maggie 1.7, REL SE 212: Zero Autoformers, Interconnects , Analysis Plus Silver Oval-In, Nordost Heimdall, Power Cables: Synergistic./Shunyata>Chang Litespeed 

HT:Dish>OPPO>Marantz>Hegel> 3-Maggies/2-Quads>REL Gibraltar>Custom Wire loom>APS>Samsung Plasma 55"

Please let us know if this works. I've been trying to figure out how to get TIDAL to work with JPlay (Windows 7, one PC, Xtreme mode). I tried the JRiver WDM driver, but I get skips and garbled sound.

The JRiver WDM driver without JPlay seems to work fine, but the sound is not as good as JPlay.

How to use ASIO from Tidal player for Windows Users:

Like many here I use a dual PC setup with JRMC 19 and JPLAY with control PC and Audio PC. I have been able to test (on my laptop at least) the following configuration with the Tidal app being able to stream via ASIO out to JPLAY. Here is how:

1) Download (it is a payed tool) WDM ASIO Link or the WDM ASIO Link Pro (WDM ASIO Link Driver Pro - Linking Windows Audio to ASIO and the network)

2) Install the Tidal App

3) Select the virtual WDM audiocard installed by the WDM ASIO Link (it will install 4 virtual devices)

4) Within the ASIO control panel for (ASIO Link Pro) you will be able to select your output device - in my case JPLAY (already configured). I have also tested going direct ASIO out to my GeekOut and this works, as well as the JRiver Virtual ASIO driver.

5) detailed instructions are available here: http://midithru.net/Content/The%20WDM%20Asio%20Link%20Driver%20v2.1.pdf

Tonight (time permitting) I will try at home with my dualPC setup

I'm impressed but not overly ecstatic as I thought I would be! Why? I've now A,B'ed and C'ed content from Tidal, Spotify, and CD using many different setups i.e. Apple TV, iPad, iPhone, iMac, USB, Coaxial, and even Optical...but with every test my CD player outshines them all! Nothing comes close. The spacial and depth differences compared to my CD player are substantial!!!

I can't justify spending an extra $10 a month for a streaming service to only gain...a little improvement. Yes there is an improvement in quality from Spotify at extreme settings and HI-FI on Tidal...but again not worth $10 more a month. I'll save the $10 and buy some more CD's.

Anyone else do any comparisons...Specifically A-B'ing the same content?

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts...

System components...McIntosh and PeachTree DACIT.

I'm impressed but not overly ecstatic as I thought I would be! Why? I've now A,B'ed and C'ed content from Tidal, Spotify, and CD using many different setups i.e. Apple TV, iPad, iPhone, iMac, USB, Coaxial, and even Optical...but with every test my CD player outshines them all! Nothing comes close. The spacial and depth differences compared to my CD player are substantial!!!

I can't justify spending an extra $10 a month for a streaming service to only gain...a little improvement. Yes there is an improvement in quality from Spotify at extreme settings and HI-FI on Tidal...but again not worth $10 more a month. I'll save the $10 and buy some more CD's.

good to know...I am unable to sign up to tidal as it tells me you are in US and tidal coming soon to your country. Any case i have spotify too and after seeing your comment will stick to spotify for auditions and will continue to buy CDs.

Music after life

To those listening to Tidal now:

Would you please tell me whether or not there is there any ECM content (e.g., Keith Jarrett, Tord Gustavsen)?

Thanks,

Boy Howdy

Yes, multiple albums by both. And what appears to be everything done by Leonard Cohen. And Rolling Stones remasters. Dig it, even Radiohead. It appears finicky artists will stream with high audio quality.

Yes, multiple albums by both. And what appears to be everything done by Leonard Cohen. And Rolling Stones remasters. Dig it, even Radiohead. It appears finicky artists will stream with high audio quality.

MountainSufi:

I am using Qobuz and they too its ECM content but when you try to play it, it won't work. Would you please try to stream some of the ECM content and see if it actually plays?

Thanks,

Boy Howdy

MountainSufi:

I am using Qobuz and they too its ECM content but when you try to play it, it won't work. Would you please try to stream some of the ECM content and see if it actually plays?

Thanks,

Boy Howdy

I'm having the same problem with both the OS X player and Chrome web player. And when I mouse over a specific track in the OS X player, I get either a "Buy to Stream" or "The record label doesn't allow this track to be streamed." message. Searched the Tidal FAQ online but couldn't find any reference to these issues.

BartokandBill

Seems to be the same on Tidal. I tried several albums (Keith Jarrett, Eberhart Weber, Ralph Towner & Gary Burton, Marc Johnson) and none were available for playback.

If you try to play an album, you get a message that says, "The album you tried to play is not available for playback" and the individual tracks are grayed out. A couple of times I got a pop-up that said "Purchase to stream," but it's not entirely clear how one would do that. :(

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

Has anyone tried Tidal through Pure Music 2's Playthrough feature?

I tried PM 1.89 but need to do some more troubleshooting. Got it working but am experiencing intermittent pops etc. Went back to using the Tidal mac client with no issues there for me. I tried it on a Yosemite partition so may try Mavericks that is relatively clean still. Don't know if 2.0 would change the results but maybe will try a demo version.

Also tried Amarra sQ but that has never worked for me and Sonic Studio has not responded to my support request on that which does not do anything to lessen my growing frustration with them. The issue is sQ intermittently screeches. Amarra and other uses of my Metric Halo DAC do not have issues during playback once you get playback going ie the ongoing problems with loading files into the playlist from my SDXC card file source.

Anyway, my initial impression so far (including with PM Playthrough) is that Tidal music sounds good but not on par with playing my ripped files via my sw players. More discussion and digging is needed to see if and how the playback sound quality can be optimized further. Am glad to see from Chris's post that it's showing bit perfect. Really like the selection ie catalog so I'm planning on continuing my subscription.

Best,

Steve

Please let us know if this works. I've been trying to figure out how to get TIDAL to work with JPlay (Windows 7, one PC, Xtreme mode). I tried the JRiver WDM driver, but I get skips and garbled sound.

The JRiver WDM driver without JPlay seems to work fine, but the sound is not as good as JPlay.

I have Tidal playing now thru JPlay using the JRiver MC 20 WDM driver. I think your problem is trying to use the Xtreme mode of JPlay which is not supported for streaming (only for local playback). In Win 7 try River or Beach. In Win 8 Ultrastream works the best. I have both a Win 7/32 and a Win 8/64 machine and have tested it on both and works great at these settings. Also, make sure that JRiver MC 20 is updated. There were some problems reported with the first build to have the WDM driver. Good luck!!

I have Tidal playing now thru JPlay using the JRiver MC 20 WDM driver. I think your problem is trying to use the Xtreme mode of JPlay which is not supported for streaming (only for local playback). In Win 7 try River or Beach. In Win 8 Ultrastream works the best. I have both a Win 7/32 and a Win 8/64 machine and have tested it on both and works great at these settings. Also, make sure that JRiver MC 20 is updated. There were some problems reported with the first build to have the WDM driver. Good luck!!

Thanks for the tips. I tried it and was able to get JPlay to work using the JRiver WDM drivers, but as you mentioned, it only works with Beach or River engines. The "problem" now is that Xtreme sounds the best on my system :(

So are you saying that Aurender will be integrating Tidal into their server software (after demoing the integration at RMAF) or that they have already done so? If they have not done so yet, do you know how soon this is coming?

Yes. As of this morning they have put pre-release upgrades of the firmware on the X100L and W20 here, and I am awaiting the companion iPad app that puts it all together. I am told that for the time being only the X100 upgrade works with Tidal, which I will demonstrate during next weekend's open house.

Their iPad app easily toggles between music stored locally and that from Tidal, so your playlists can include both. You can search on any field, including composer and conductor, which are important to classical music listeners. With Tidal streaming selected there are tabs to view recommendations, genres, moods, and new and recommended playlists.

Brian Walsh

Analog Expert / Showroom Manager

Music Direct

So are you saying that Aurender will be integrating Tidal into their server software (after demoing the integration at RMAF) or that they have already done so? If they have not done so yet, do you know how soon this is coming?

Regarding the release date of the firmware and iPad app upgrades, they estimate around the end of the year. Naturally they can't come soon enough.

Brian Walsh

Music Direct

I'm impressed but not overly ecstatic as I thought I would be! Why? I've now A,B'ed and C'ed content from Tidal, Spotify, and CD using many different setups i.e. Apple TV, iPad, iPhone, iMac, USB, Coaxial, and even Optical

SQ of several tracks, including Diana K Just A Little Lov'in, and others, from my tweaked Mini/USB into my PS Audio DirectStream DAC, compared to ripped on Synology/Minimserver, are not quite on a par...somewhat disappointed.

rogerdn

I tried to reply to your message earlier today but for some reason it didn't show up.

The short answer is yes, they are doing so, and the final release of the updates to the firmware and iPad app are targeted for around the end of the year. By early next week I should have things going here with pre-release versions. If people are interested I can post screen captures of the iPad app showing the integration, but I don't know if that would be allowed.

Brian Walsh

Music Direct

I can't seem to get my MC19 windows 8 working (understand I may need mc20), but I can't get the tidal app to see my auralic vega day in the drop down menu. It only shows remote audio as a option. Any thoughts? Thx

Equipment:

Auralic Vega DAC, Auralic Taurus Preamp, KEF LS50 Speakers, Hypex Ncore400 monoblock amps, CAPs V3, Paul Hynes SR5 (12v and 9v rails), Audioquest King Cobra XLRs, Signal Cable speaker cable, Furutech power and USB cable

I tried PM 1.89 but need to do some more troubleshooting. Got it working but am experiencing intermittent pops etc. Went back to using the Tidal mac client with no issues there for me. I tried it on a Yosemite partition so may try Mavericks that is relatively clean still. Don't know if 2.0 would change the results but maybe will try a demo version.

Also tried Amarra sQ but that has never worked for me and Sonic Studio has not responded to my support request on that which does not do anything to lessen my growing frustration with them. The issue is sQ intermittently screeches. Amarra and other uses of my Metric Halo DAC do not have issues during playback once you get playback going ie the ongoing problems with loading files into the playlist from my SDXC card file source.

Anyway, my initial impression so far (including with PM Playthrough) is that Tidal music sounds good but not on par with playing my ripped files via my sw players. More discussion and digging is needed to see if and how the playback sound quality can be optimized further. Am glad to see from Chris's post that it's showing bit perfect. Really like the selection ie catalog so I'm planning on continuing my subscription.

Best,

Steve

I was able to get Tidal working through PM 2.02 in Playthrough mode but it crashes after about 15-20 minutes each time I try it (which were many). I've contacted PM support but until I hear something, I'm done with the play-crash-restart PM routine. I've been playing the desktop app through my mac mini/ Directstream setup.