IGNORED

Auralic Lightning DS App (Software) - Impressions and Information

I am very interested to buy an Auralic Aries streamer, but dont know if the Lightning DS is available for my Macbook Pro 2014 because I dont own an iPad. Could I command the Aries also with Macbook or is an iPad a must, sorry for dumb question, but I am new to the streaming world. Many thanks Eric.

Simply cannot do without an iPad. Kinsky will let you control it from a mac (not 100% sure to what extent you can control playback) but for some features it's just Lightning DS or the road. Get a used older iPad, that should be cheap. Alternatively you could use an iPad emulator on OS X, that might work.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

Simply cannot do without an iPad. Kinsky will let you control it from a mac (not 100% sure to what extent you can control playback)

As I said, iPad for setup but Kinsky can control all playback functions. I use it quite frequently when I'm working on my MB Air. It's just an easy three swipe to toggle between screens.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

So when I create a playlist, it works for a few days but then it stops being able to play. The list is there but the album art doesn't appear anymore and the songs won't play. Any ideas/solutions others have found (or is this just me)?

John

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

So when I create a playlist, it works for a few days but then it stops being able to play. The list is there but the album art doesn't appear anymore and the songs won't play. Any ideas/solutions others have found (or is this just me)?

John

Same here. Does this happen if you clear the cache?

John

All uPnP control software like Lumin, Kinsky as well as current version of Lightning DS will this problem. This is because the DLNA server IP has changed since last time you create the playlist. All uPnP control software's playlist function is to save the absolute streaming address like 'http://192.168.1.100/albuem/track.flac'. When the IP has changed, the link wont work and the playlist is unplayable.

The resolution are:

1, fix the IP of NAS drive or the computer that running server software

2, wait for new 2.0 version of Lightning DS which we will introduce a patenting technology to mach the server without using IP address.

All uPnP control software like Lumin, Kinsky as well as current version of Lightning DS will this problem. This is because the DLNA server IP has changed since last time you create the playlist. All uPnP control software's playlist function is to save the absolute streaming address like 'http://192.168.1.100/albuem/track.flac'. When the IP has changed, the link wont work and the playlist is unplayable.

The resolution are:

2, wait for new 2.0 version of Lightning DS which we will introduce a patenting technology to mach the server without using IP address.

Thank you sir,

easy then - I will fix the IP address of my NAS to make sure I don't have to create playlists again :)

The resolution are:

Is there a way to export a playlist to a file and import it back? I would like this feature to either create playlists on my mac or simply have a backup if I need it. Thx.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

The resolution are:

I have a static IP address on the NAS where the library is located so have not had the 'disappearing playlist' problem but I would really appreciate an explanation and possible fix for the scrambled playlist issue. An explanation as to why the playlists scramble would, if it is a Minimserver issue as Auralic support maintain, allow an approach to Simon armed with some kind of information rather than '...hey, this doesn't work and Auralic say its your fault...'

Over to you Xuanqian.....

Derek

Just an update that there is a new Minimserver & Minimwatch update. 0.8.3 has been installed on my unit successfully You can download from here and see the release notes here. Don't forget that Simon is extremely helpful on his forum should you have any issues.

Oh, and don't forget to donate to this project. ;-)

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

The resolution are:

Outstanding!!

• 2 weeks later...

I still can't get my Aries to play from USB. But the one time I managed to get it to import my music, the organization was disconcerting. I use MPaD and have labelled my folders properly. For example, with "Last Name, First Name" or "Group Name, The". Does the Lightning not use my labeling?

SonicTransporter i9 > EtherRegen (optical out) > LUMIN P1 > LUMIN Amp > YG Kipod Signature Passive speakers.

I suspect not as it depends on the meta data within your files. However if you use Folder view rather than Library view you may see your folders/files organized in the manner you expect.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

I suspect not as it depends on the meta data within your files. However if you use Folder view rather than Library view you may see your folders/files organized in the manner you expect.

I've tagged my WAV files so that they are consistent with my Folder names. So maybe it gets the info from another source for Library mode? Anyway, I guess I'll wait until i can get the Aries working before concluding anything.

SonicTransporter i9 > EtherRegen (optical out) > LUMIN P1 > LUMIN Amp > YG Kipod Signature Passive speakers.

I've tagged my WAV files so that they are consistent with my Folder names. So maybe it gets the info from another source for Library mode? Anyway, I guess I'll wait until i can get the Aries working before concluding anything.

WAV files can't have tags in them, so the server would not be able to index them, other than by folder and file names. FLAC allows you to properly tag every file for much improved indexing and searching. Are both library mode and folder view failing, or is it just library mode?

I had emailed Auralic re the order of the songs in my playlists getting scrambled after updating to a different firmware version and rescanning the Minimserver library after adding new files to the library. They replied this was a Minimserver issue.

I have now updated Minimserver to 0.83 and the Aries firmware to 1.11. In an effort to return the playlists to their original order I thought I would try reordering my playlists via the Edit option in LDS rather than deleting them and re-entering them. However, when I select Edit and drag a song to a new position it simply returns to its original position in the playlist. Anyone else had this issue? I have sent feedback to Auralic.

Derek

I've tagged all my WAV files with Artist, Album Name, release date, genre using "Tag" by sbooth. MPaD uses my file names, but I use Tag to delete the track names because it interferes. I thought I would tag all the WAV files with genre because Mr. Wang told me at RMAF that this would work. So if the Aries uses my file names or the tags, I should be fine, but this wasn't the case on first import. I don't know about the differences between library mode and folder view since I was only able to get albums showing up briefly one time. This afternoon I'm going to take my hard drive to the store where I bought the Aries and try it on their unit so see if mine is faulty. I hope it's this and not an issue with my tagging the files. I really don't want to go back and erase tags from my whole library!

I hope it's this and not an issue with my tagging the files. I really don't want to go back and erase tags from my whole library!

Hello,

Here a trick which can speed up the processus if your files are well named and organised as follow for exemple:

- (folder) Genre

- (folder) Artist

- (folder) Album

#track - title.wav

Use a soft like foobar (free) to tag automatically your files from file names. You have just to set a pattern and in one click all your files can be tagged in one process :)

Hello,

Here a trick which can speed up the processus if your files are well named and organised as follow for exemple:

- (folder) Genre

- (folder) Artist

- (folder) Album

#track - title.wav

Use a soft like foobar (free) to tag automatically your files from file names. You have just to set a pattern and in one click all your files can be tagged in one process :)

That's a great tip. My folders are in this structure and I've taken great care with the folder names. Thanks!

It looks like Foobar is PC only. Are you aware of any Mac program that do the above?

The Mac program Yate should be able to do that. However I believe you need to create an "action" to automate this. I don't know how to do it, but if you perhaps post on their forum they should be able to assist.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs