IGNORED

Auralic Lightning DS App (Software) - Impressions and Information

I wonder if the OH instability is also a Lightning/JRIver thing or does it drop off when trying to read Minimserver too (I forget if it even reads a JRIver library in OH mode, sorry)..

Good suggestion, but I checked and I don't have the Jriver library loaded, only the Minimserver library.

Not sure why the Aries is disappearing from the Lightning DS application. That is worthy of an email to Auralic support.

I did send them an email and, as I noted earlier, the tech suggested it was a recent firmware issue. Since the firmware in the AC66U is not current, that doesn't seem to be the issue.

I will go out a little later today and pick up a different modem. If it has the same problem, then I guess I will take advantage of Best Buy's return policy and consider myself cursed. :-)

For what it's worth, the problem exists whether I'm using the Lightning App on my ipad (the most recent version) or my wife's (the 3rd generation version).

Seems like the tagging issue is a Jriver issue. I installed minimserver to give it a whirl and when I load the minimserver library, tags are there.

I picked up the Aries yesterday. The good news is that it is rock solid when run as a uPnP render. Streaming my music from the Lightning App is no problem and, more importantly to me, Jriver sees it and I can stream music to the Aries either right from my desktop when running JRiver or via Jremote. Very impressed with the sound, even though just using a coaxil cable as I wait for my jcat usb cable to arrive.

The bad news is that when run in OpenHome, the Lightning App keeps losing it and showing no devices. It does not happen when used in uPnP mode. It can either disappear for long periods or just a second or two, just enough to disrupt the music. I want to use it for Tidal. Login into Tidal with no issue but then the Lightning App loses the Aries. Happens whether I have the Aries hard wired into the network or when running it wireless. I'm using an Asus AC68U router with the current firmware. Both the Aries and my ipad are on the same 5g network. I've tried making both addresses static but that didn't fix the problem.

I contacted Tidal support and they got back almost right away. The tech said the current firmware version for the AC68U has some sort of an issue which he thought was causing the problem. Suggested rolling back the firmware. As I wasn't quite sure how to do that, so I put back in my older Asus AC66U router, with older firmware (v. 3.0.0.4.270). Have exactly the same problem. Not sure if this is an issue with Asus routers, although it seems others are using them without this issue.

Does anyone have any suggested solution? If not, may have to try a new and non-Asus router. The DLink DIR 880L router is on sale at Best Buy and so I'm thinking of trying it. Anyone else using it? Any suggestions on a different router?

Have you tried to change the wifi channel on your router? I had the same "no device" problem with my unit, and changing to another channel solved this issu in my case.

Minim server,Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit),Auralic Vega, Auralic Aries,Krell Kav-280p, Krell Kav-2250, B&W 802d, Nordost SPM XLR, Nordost Red Dawn XLR, Purist Audio Design Vesta, Wireworld electra 7, 2x2m +1x1m, Harmony Logitech oneKinsky -"folder-view setting" (Lightning DS -just for setup)

I found out that as much as I love JRiver, it is much more forgiving of "grey" areas of tagging, while MinimServer is strictly compliant. Same thing for some .AIFF files (typically related to album art attachments but also some other end of file information).

At first I was confused. Then I was mad. Then I got busy and fixed the issues by re-converting the offending files to the same format using XLD and retagging the same files in Metadactics. This required me to really look at my file management from a curator's perspective. Things like Artist, Album Artist, and Track Artist all seemed interchangeable but, strictly speaking, they need to be specific for specific things or you get funny outcomes.

Again, JRiver is much softer on these sorts of things but MinimServer is very strict. I have found that if I get things "clean" (i.e. the log file in MinimServer is clean) and I get the proper dropping of "the" in Lightning DS, then the same files show up perfectly in JRiver, too. On the other hand, just because it is fine in JRiver doesn't result in fine in Lightning DS.

I have a thread showing this at the MinimServer forum that documents the details for those that are interested.

The main point is that "fine in JRiver" is not good enough for Lightning DS and we need not say it is (nor should we fault JRiver...they created a very easy to use/maintain yet powerful database manager that is still my favorite).

John

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

Have an Aires home for review and possible purchase. Having some problems with the unit reading my USB attached hard drives....so far only FAT 32 Drives appear to the system. Still working at a solution. Support for Auralic has, so far, been quite outstanding. Email was returned in 30 minutes and the firmware was updated remotely (how do they do this...access my network and read the Aries)

With a small FAT 32 drive currently playing the sound is a far more quiet background with better definition and deeper bass.

Anyone have problems mounting a large USB drive formatted for MAC OS Extended (journaled)?

I found out that as much as I love JRiver, it is much more forgiving of "grey" areas of tagging, while MinimServer is strictly compliant. Same thing for some .AIFF files (typically related to album art attachments but also some other end of file information).

At first I was confused. Then I was mad. Then I got busy and fixed the issues by re-converting the offending files to the same format using XLD and retagging the same files in Metadactics. This required me to really look at my file management from a curator's perspective. Things like Artist, Album Artist, and Track Artist all seemed interchangeable but, strictly speaking, they need to be specific for specific things or you get funny outcomes.

Again, JRiver is much softer on these sorts of things but MinimServer is very strict. I have found that if I get things "clean" (i.e. the log file in MinimServer is clean) and I get the proper dropping of "the" in Lightning DS, then the same files show up perfectly in JRiver, too. On the other hand, just because it is fine in JRiver doesn't result in fine in Lightning DS.

I have a thread showing this at the MinimServer forum that documents the details for those that are interested.

The main point is that "fine in JRiver" is not good enough for Lightning DS and we need not say it is (nor should we fault JRiver...they created a very easy to use/maintain yet powerful database manager that is still my favorite).

John

John - This is very true, it took me about 8 hours to clean up the meta data in my music files such that I would no longer get any errors in Minimserver. For this task I chose Yate, which I found to be outstanding. Using Yate precluded the need to re-transcode them via XLD.

Now I have an error free Minimserver log file.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Well, I'm completely at a loss to understand what's going on. I've tried 4 different routers (the two Asus, a DLink 880L and an Airport Extreme. Not only do I have the same problems with all 4 routers, with the Dlink and the Apple, the Lightning App would not stream any of my music (again, running minimserver on my compuer) in either OpenHome or uPnP. I've sent a detailed email to Auralic support, but at this point, I'm thinking that I simply have a defective unit and will need to replace it.

On the positive side, while streaming using Jriver while the Aries in uPnP, everything is rock solid and the Aries sounds better than streaming to the bridge into my PS Audio Directstream.

John - This is very true, it took me about 8 hours to clean up the meta data in my music files such that I would no longer get any errors in Minimserver. For this task I chose Yate, which I found to be outstanding. Using Yate precluded the need to re-transcode them via XLD.

Now I have an error free Minimserver log file.

+1

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

MurrayB - Could you tell us a little bit more about your setup?

What cable modem do you have? How big is your house? Where is the computer running Minimserver (distance from router) and is it connected wireless or wired to the router? Same for Aries, how far from computer running Minimserver and from router? As to the computer running Minimserver, what brand/model is it?

I am fairly certain you mentioned you have a separate, named 5GHz band for 802.11n and that you have set your computer, Aries and iPad to connect to the named 5Ghz band? And that you assigned a static IP address for the Aries ( and possibly the computer running Minimserver and your iPad )? It would be best for you to assign a static IP address for the Aries and for the computer running Minimserver.

I have an Apple Extreme, the newest model. I set DHCP reservation for the Aries ( you cannot assign a static address address for the Aries ) and a static IP address for my Synology NAS which is running Minimserver. I also set a DHCP reservation for my iPad.

As someone else mentioned earlier, if you have a means to scan your WIFI network, you should determine if any neighbors have their routers on similar channels as your router and if so, you should change your router to a different broadcast channel.

I use Macs so I use WiFi Explorer to determine what other routers are near my house and the channels they are using for the 2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz networks.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

bplexico - I believe the modem is a Hitron CGN3, which I have in bridge mode. House is about 3,000 sf. Computer is about 3 feet from the router and is connected by ethernet cable to the modem. The computer is one I put together a couple of years ago. Asus Sabertooth motherboard (forget the model). Running Windows 7. The Aries is about 3 to 4 feet from the modem and 4 to 5 feet from the computer.

With the Apple Extreme, nothing has been reserved. Not sure how to do that. How do you scan one's wireless network and change the channels. I don't how to do that.

Ok so the modem is in bridge mode so you can attach a router to it. And the modem thus has its own built in router I assume, otherwise you would not need to put it in bridge mode?

Ok, I checked and I see the modem does in fact have a router built in.

The integrated four-port Gigabit Ethernet switch and 802.11n 3X3 Dual Band MIMO Access Point enable fast and easy home networking.

Have you tried using the Aries and computer with the router built into the Hitron?

If using a router with the Hitron, could you try connecting the computer to the router and the Aries into router? And see if that works? It should.

In regards to the Apple Extreme, if you put it into Bridge mode, and be sure to turn off NAT on the Apple Extreme, you can use Apple's Airport Utility to set DHCP reservations. It is on the Network Tab, under DHCP reservations. However if the router is enabled on your Hitron, then you would need to use whatever software came with the Hitron to setup the reservations as it rather than the Apple Extreme would serve up the DHCP addresses.

Confusing eh? It is, my cable modem is a Motorola which has no router built into it, so it's alot easier to setup. I had to do alot of "googling" to setup my mom with a Apple Extreme given her Verizon modem is also a router.

So I guess my question is, and I apologize if I missed it, have you tried it with the Hitron router only, or is there some reason you are using an additional router?

Who knew one had to be computer networking expert to listen to music. Sigh.

From all accounts, the wireless router in the Hitron isn't all that good. Since I already had the Asus modem when I got the Hitron, I just put the Hitron into bridge mode to shut off its router and use the Asus (now the Apple Extreme for the moment). Everything has worked fine up to now and so I still suspect the issue with the Aries. I think I figured out how to change the wireless channel, which is only relevant for the ipad as currently the Aries is wired into the router. Found a program to check out the wifi situation. About 4 or 5 other wireless networks on the same channel as mine, but the signal strength of all of them is less than half of the signal strength of my wireless network.

Yeah, it is nuts. So much for plug and play eh?

So the computer and Aries are wired into Apple Extreme and you are having issues? OK, that is bad. Good idea to change the channel on yours, both the 5 Ghz and 2.4Ghz channels. And you have a separate 5Ghz network that the iPad is connected to?

But it does look like you have exhausted (no pun intended) all options.

In regards to the Apple Extreme, if you put it into Bridge mode, and be sure to turn off NAT on the Apple Extreme, you can use Apple's Airport Utility to set DHCP reservations. It is on the Network Tab, under DHCP reservations. However if the router is enabled on your Hitron, then you would need to use whatever software came with the Hitron to setup the reservations as it rather than the Apple Extreme would serve up the DHCP addresses.

Good advices bplexico, however;

If the AE is set to Bridge mode, I don't think it can act as a DHCP server.

The reason is that you have to avoid that there exist several DHCP servers in your LAN, thus creating IP conflicts. There should be only one DHCP server, namely your main router. The Aries would still get its IP address via the Bridge though, but provided from the router.

Here is a program that may help for diagnosing your wifi, e.g. disturbance and strong senders (Mac & PC):

http://www.inssider.com/inssider4/

There are a few apps available also for IOS but not as comprehensive.

Hej all,

Just unpacked my Aries and I really liked it. The SQ is extremly good even "out of the box".

I have a couple of problems and that is that after "klicking" on an album it only plays two songs...and then stops! The other thing is that i can't navigate with the buttons in Lightning DS - need to use the remote (which I don't like btw..) Could someone help me please or direct me to the right thread if this already been captured somewhere else.

I am running the latest SW and I am using Minimserver on a HTPC.

Thanks in advance

//Perka

Have you invoked the plus icon?

I reckon you use openhome?

Hej,

I guess this was for me? :-) What do you mean by invoke? Shouldn't it work to play a full album by tapping the album? No - I am not using openhome - I run Minimserver as a straight Upnp-server, wired Auries to my DAC with Spdif/RCA. Thought openhome was something for USB Connections? (sorry if this sounds extremly newbie...)

//Perka

Hej,

I guess this was for me? :-) What do you mean by invoke? Shouldn't it work to play a full album by tapping the album? No - I am not using openhome - I run Minimserver as a straight Upnp-server, wired Auries to my DAC with Spdif/RCA. Thought openhome was something for USB Connections? (sorry if this sounds extremly newbie...)

//Perka

Hello. You should set the Aries to OpenHome not uPnP. Given your setup and that you are using Minimserver, that is the correct setting.

As to playing back a full album, you need to tap the title of the album, please see the picture I attached below which highlights with a green box the area to tap.

AriesTap.jpg

Hello. You should set the Aries to OpenHome not uPnP. Given your setup and that you are using Minimserver, that is the correct setting.

As to playing back a full album, you need to tap the title of the album, please see the picture I attached below which highlights with a green box the area to tap.

Thanks a lot for your help! Works perfect now!

//Perka

From AURALiC:

This will be a big week for ARIES user. ARIES firmware 2.1 is now available for update while Lightning DS 1.7 is coming this weekend. The first beta version of Android cell phone Lightning DS will also come within a week.

As the change log of new firmware is way too long to present here, we have prepared for a release notice for your information. Please download the document though the following link

http://www.auralic.com/download/aries_firmware_release_notice.pdf

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Well I saw my Aries doing update , it downloaded , asked to reboot , then said there was a network problem and please connect to Lan . It was connected wirelessly . I unplugged moved to computer .

Now it starts up but lightning app does not see the Aries .

Anyone else have this problem

Update : oh it changed the name back to numbers . I see it now .

Jimmy - see this post in the other thread.

In essence here is what you need to do, as per other thread. I would recommend you invoke the Access Point, put your iPad onto the network created by the Aries, and then launch Lightning DS where you can correct the settings and put your Aries on the correct Wifi network that you use daily. Then when done, take the Aries out of WiFi Access Point mode.

The wireless access point created by the Aries should be called "AURALIC-Lightning".

As a tip for those without ready access to wired ethernet you can now use the new access point feature in the Aries. It is documented in the release notes. By enabling this function and having your iPad connect to this WiFi network, you can in turn update the settings in the Lightning DS application for your Aries.

So for those of you upgrading to the newest firmware, if you find you are unable to locate your Aries, or get an error message on your Aries that asks you to plug in a LAN cable, you can invoke the WiFi Access point and complete the setup without having to plug in an ethernet cable.

* To enable WiFi access point function, please press and hold 'SEARCH' button on remote for 7 seconds till you see the text 'APPLYING SETTING'. You will see an open WiFi network named 'AURALiC-Lightning' after display switch to a WiFi icon. To exit WiFi mode, please press 'EXIT' key on your remote.