IGNORED

Pono seems totally irrelevant

Personally I get more depressed by "experts" who pronounce a whole genre of music abominable.

Whatever people listen to from Britney Spears and Enenem through to Mahler and Schostokovich is okay by me. Not always my taste but not to be dismissed as bad or wrong taste.

Oh the"experts", these experts back in the day said our parents music was abominable LOL

As long as there are people alive that listen to rock and roll the music will live on regardless of what "experts" write. Heck everyone thought the Beatles and Elvis, music would die off, and it's still going. Rock and Roll originated in the late 40's and 50's via rhythm and blues and here we are in the year 2014 and rock music is still going, sure there is not a lot of "new" rock and roll bands but the old music is still being remastered to this day. As long as there is a rocker alive the music will continue.

The Truth Is Out There

That TV show with Jessica Alba was called, "Dark Angel". It was created by James Cameron, and ran from 2000-2002.

I think that much of the reason young people prefer vinyl over digital is that they have not heard a good digital system. They are, no doubt comparing a traditional turntable component system to mp3 downloads played on an iPod or similar device, or at best, their mp3 player plugged into same component system with a mini-jack.

That TV show with Jessica Alba was called, "Dark Angel". It was created by James Cameron, and ran from 2000-2002.

I think that much of the reason young people prefer vinyl over digital is that they have not heard a good digital system. They are, no doubt comparing a traditional turntable component system to mp3 downloads played on an iPod or similar device, or at best, their mp3 player plugged into same component system with a mini-jack.

Could be, I was at my local record store, yes they still exist and there was 8 to 11 people in there. The old over 55 guys like me (3) and the rest where mid's 20's and 30's young men and yes women buying vinyl. I asked why do you like LP's, a few noted, they enjoy the experience and they enjoy the sound. A few had their ear buds around their necks so they listen to downloads. But is was interesting to walk into the store and see young people in there buying records. The store clerk told me afterwards, in the last two to three years he has seen more and more young people coming in purchasing LP's. They stand around and read the backcovers of the album, talk history of the group(s) they like and then buy the LP or place an order.

It appears, it's not that some have not heard a "good dac" I think some of these young people would rather enjoy the music experience of playing a LP, some like the sound. The same thing can be said about people with DACS, some have never heard a good turntable and cartridge. To me, it's all about the enjoyment of the music anyway I can get it and it appears these young people I met feel the same way.

The Truth Is Out There

Oh the"experts", these experts back in the day said our parents music was abominable LOL

As long as there are people alive that listen to rock and roll the music will live on regardless of what "experts" write. Heck everyone thought the Beatles and Elvis, music would die off, and it's still going. Rock and Roll originated in the late 40's and 50's via rhythm and blues and here we are in the year 2014 and rock music is still going, sure there is not a lot of "new" rock and roll bands but the old music is still being remastered to this day. As long as there is a rocker alive the music will continue.

Anyone lamenting the supposed death of rock and roll should listen to the new War on Drugs album immediately. Possibly my favorite album of the year.

You can get it in lossless right here.

Anyone lamenting the supposed death of rock and roll should listen to the new War on Drugs album immediately. Possibly my favorite album of the year.

You can get it in lossless right here.

Thank you for sharing that album.... Downloaded and liking it.

The Truth Is Out There

Was not "classical" music the pop of that era? It is not as if Beethoven is obscure.

No. It was and is not. In fact, classical music is still being composed today and plenty was written in the 20th Century: Copland, Villa-Lobos, Ravel, Vaughan Williams, Sibelius, Walton, Ginestera, Chavez, etc. Even Tin-Pan Alley composer George Gershwin wrote classical music. None of these composers' classical works were ever on Top-40 radio. That doesn't mean that popular songs weren't sometimes made out of classical compositions. Examples: Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto #1 became Tonight We Love, Rachmaninioff's Piano Concerto #2 became 'Till the End of Time. Fifties Singer Perry Como had a hit with Chabrier's Espana which Como recorded as Hot Diggity, Dog Diggity and in the 1960's, The Motown groups, The Toys and the Supremes took Bach's Minuet in G Minor and turned it into A Lover's Concerto, which went to the top of the charts twice. There are more, examples, but you get the idea.

Throughout the 18th and 19th century, the average person, living outside of the large European cities had little or no access to classical music. While it might have been 'popular' among the rich aristocracy and the intellectuals of the time, one needed a ticket to a concert hall to hear it. Most people could neither afford that ticket nor the quality of dress required to get in such a hall. It took the growth of the middle class in the late 19th century before ordinary people in the cities gained access to concert halls and opera houses, and it took the advent of the phonograph and radio before more rural audience got a chance to be exposed to great music.

In the 1930's through the early 1950's, classical music actually became widely available in the USA and was much more well known and appreciated than it is today. For instance, a number of pop songs in the '40's made reference to such classical music and opera figures as Paganini and Leoncavallo's opera Pagliacci. If a rapper today were to make reference to either of these in a rap song, virtually none of that rapper's audience would have any idea what he was talking about, but in the 1940's and early 50's even teens knew what the song writer meant when he referenced the tragic clown Pagliacci in a song. Also, in the late 30's through much of 1954, Conductor Arturo Toscannini conducted nation-wide radio concerts every Sunday afternoon from Studio 8A in the Rockefeller Plaza's RCA building on the NBC network, and they were very popular. Toscannini was household name in this country for decades as was Leopold Stokowski (the latter even showing up as a character in several Bugs Bunny cartoons). There were other such programs as well such as the "Longines Symphonette" which broadcast classical music over the Mutual Radio Network every night.

Now, of course, the percentage of the population who listens to classical music has fallen from about 20% in the 1940's to far less than 1% today, while pop and rock is all that the great majority of Westerners ever listen to or even get to hear.

George

Personally I get more depressed by "experts" who pronounce a whole genre of music abominable.

Whatever people listen to from Britney Spears and Enenem through to Mahler and Schostokovich is okay by me. Not always my taste but not to be dismissed as bad or wrong taste.

I certainly don't consider myself an expert with or without quotes, but I agree with you that entropy and devolution are depressing. In spite of the modern trend to hyper-egalitarianism, there is such a thing as good and bad taste, and bad taste begets more bad taste in my experience. YMMV!

George

Come back and ask me that in 2214.

George

Whats the situation anyway with Neil Young he keeps sending me pono updates but nothing of real interest, is the player ready yet does anyone know?

There was a listening party for Kickstarter backers in San Francisco last night, and the reviewer from Sound and Vision had the Ayer version of the player, so they must be getting close.

No. It was and is not. In fact, classical music is still being composed today and plenty was written in the 20th Century: Copland, Villa-Lobos, Ravel, Vaughan Williams, Sibelius, Walton, Ginestera, Chavez, etc. Even Tin-Pan Alley composer George Gershwin wrote classical music. None of these composers' classical works were ever on Top-40 radio. That doesn't mean that popular songs weren't sometimes made out of classical compositions. Examples: Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto #1 became Tonight We Love, Rachmaninioff's Piano Concerto #2 became 'Till the End of Time. Fifties Singer Perry Como had a hit with Chabrier's Espana which Como recorded as Hot Diggity, Dog Diggity and in the 1960's, The Motown groups, The Toys and the Supremes took Bach's Minuet in G Minor and turned it into A Lover's Concerto, which went to the top of the charts twice. There are more, examples, but you get the idea.

Well as I'm sure you know it depends if you are referring to music from the Classical era or classical music more generally.

I am sure in the mid 18th century parents were bemoaning how their children were no longer going to concerts of Bach and Handel's music and were listening to that racket created by Mozart.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Well I would but you and I will not be around.

Speak for yourself. I plan to be around. :)

But the point of my hyperbole is that in 2214, nobody will have heard of the Beatles, or Arrowsmith, or The Who, or Snoopdog, or any other pop music performer, group, or songs from second half of the 20th Century. I'd bet money on that. But Vivaldi, Bach, Beethoven, etc, will still be played and listened to because great art, unlike entertainment, does not die.

George

Well as I'm sure you know it depends if you are referring to music from the Classical era or classical music more generally.

I am sure in the mid 18th century parents were bemoaning how their children were no longer going to concerts of Bach and Handel's music and were listening to that racket created by Mozart.

Eloise

Eloise, in the mid 18th century parents weren't bemoaning anything, because the "youth culture" was two hundred years in the future, and being young was just something one went through on the way to adulthood. If they were engaged in music at all, it was folk dances - the same ones that their parents and grandparents danced to, as were the folksongs they sang. More likely, the music they were most familiar with were the hymns they sang or heard sung in church. I doubt if any of them had ever heard of Bach or Handel and if they had, it was in relation to the church music they may have heard at services.

We like to think that people in the past were just like us (minus the technology). They weren't. The things that they found important and thought about and believed, we don't give even a single thought to today. Even the way they interfaced with the Christian religion was so far removed from the way people interact with their religion today, as to be almost unrecognizable to us. I'm not referring to the church rituals, many of which haven't changed, but rather the way the average person interacted with those rules and rituals.

George

We like to think that people in the past were just like us (minus the technology). They weren't.

“Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.” Socrates as reported by Plato

I'm sure that things will be just as bad for the older generation in 2,000 more years....

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

But the point of my hyperbole is that in 2214, nobody will have heard of the Beatles, or Arrowsmith, or The Who, or Snoopdog, or any other pop music performer, group, or songs from second half of the 20th Century. I'd bet money on that. But Vivaldi, Bach, Beethoven, etc, will still be played and listened to because great art, unlike entertainment, does not die.

It's Aerosmith.

It's Snoop Dogg.

It's Beeth-oven.

las-alucinantes-aventuras-de-bill-y-ted-beethoven.jpg

It is easy to bet on that which could never be collected. I feel you are fooling yourself if you think the Beatles are going to be forgotten anytime soon. As usual, Eloise nailed it.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

You will be dead like the rest of us, unless you will be in cryo freeze for the next 200 years LOL

And yes the Beatles will be remembered along with Chuck Berry - Johnny B Goode and Pygmy girls' initiation song and the Navajo Indians Night Chant and yes Bach - Brandenburg Concerto No. 2 in F among others.

The Truth Is Out There