IGNORED

High Res Zeppelin Update (from Stereophile)

I apologize if posted previously, but I couldn't finis it in an advanced search with Led Zeppelin as Title of thread -- if so delete, but very giddy about this

Jimmy Page Drops Some Clues About New HD Led Zeppelin Releases | Stereophile.com

"Everything has been remastered to 192 kHz/24 Bit, but for reasons unexplained, only the 96 kHz/24 bit files will be available from HD Tracks. These fresh remasters will come in a number of forms: single CD, CD with companion audio disc, single 180 gram LP, 180 gram LP with companion audio 180 gram LP, original LP and companion audio digital downloads and the Super Deluxe Boxed Set which is everything above and a gorgeous book of photos, memorabilia and stuff every single Zep head will have to have."

"Asked if this is the best sound yet, Page calmly replied, “No, off the analogue tapes is going to be the best way but unfortunately I can’t invite you all round to listen to them.”

I will be happy to be the download guinea pig on this one!

Aurender N10--> DCS Bartok w Rossini Clock—>Audio Research REF6 Pre --> Vandersteen M5HPA—>Vandersteen Quatro CT Speakers; AMG Giro Turntable w Lyra Delos Cartridge —> Audio Research Ref 3 PhonoPre

let's hope the added volume compression on the HDT downloads will be non-existent or minimal....

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Are they finally going to clean up that tape bleed echo?

By the way, it seems that most people feel one of the major benefits of hi-res (apart from better mastering which often accompanies a hi-res release) is the improved "sound stage" effect. Are these classic rock albums (or any pop album for that matter) recorded in a way to produce that effect?

Are they finally going to clean up that tape bleed echo?

By the way, it seems that most people feel one of the major benefits of hi-res (apart from better mastering which often accompanies a hi-res release) is the improved "sound stage" effect. Are these classic rock albums (or any pop album for that matter) recorded in a way to produce that effect?

If the original is lousy, you are not going to get much improvement. I bought the HDTracks hi-res versions of Disraeli Gears and Wheels of Fire, and they don't sound much better than the original CD's, IMO. Maybe a little brighter, as they are dynamic range compressed.

Why not just release the 24/192 now?

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

"Everything has been remastered to 192 kHz/24 bit, but for reasons unexplained, only the 96 kHz/24 bit files will be available from HD Tracks.

OK, so now I'd like to know if the Hi-Res download within the Super Deluxe Edition Box will be 192 kHz/24 bit, or the same 96 kHz/24 bit files from HD Tracks?

“We don’t like their sound … and guitar music is on the way out!”

– Decca Records, 1962

Taiko Audio Extreme | Vinnie Rossi L2i SE and L2 DAC | Omega Super Alnico Monitors | JL Audio Fathom Sub

Why not just release the 24/192 now?

So they can sell you the 24/192 files next year.

2012 MBP (OSX 10.11 and Amarra Symphony w/IRC)-> Revelation Dual Conduit USB -> Berkeley Alpha USB -> Verastarr Silver Signature AES -> Devialet D250-> Siltech 550L -> KEF 104/2 (Steve Nugent Custom).

Power conditioning Audience Adept AR2p -> Verastarr Grand Illusion, Siltech Explorer 270p and Crystal Cable Standard Diamond

Analog: VPI Classic 3, Sumiko Pearwood Celebration ii, Siltech 770i RCA

You bought the vinyl.

You bought the 8-track.

You bought the cassette.

You bought the CD.

You downloaded 256 ACC from iTunes.

You'll download 24/96.

And then you'll download 24/192.

At which time you'll be clamoring for ..... the next iteration of perfect digital sound reproduction.

I wish the digital releases of Zeppelin would (or could) sound good. I have many and they all sound bright, basically unlistenable. And now the new LP's are being cut from the digital remasters. So I am not optimistic for decent sound quality in the new releases. But I can hope.

2012 MBP (OSX 10.11 and Amarra Symphony w/IRC)-> Revelation Dual Conduit USB -> Berkeley Alpha USB -> Verastarr Silver Signature AES -> Devialet D250-> Siltech 550L -> KEF 104/2 (Steve Nugent Custom).

Power conditioning Audience Adept AR2p -> Verastarr Grand Illusion, Siltech Explorer 270p and Crystal Cable Standard Diamond

Analog: VPI Classic 3, Sumiko Pearwood Celebration ii, Siltech 770i RCA

let's hope the added volume compression on the HDT downloads will be non-existent or minimal....

I downloaded LZ IV from Qobuz that is supposed to be the same as the new CD release. It has a dynamic range of DR9 which is a bit down from the previous versions which were around 12, but not as bad as it could be. It does sound quite good though, as long as you are not expecting miracles.

You bought the vinyl.

You bought the 8-track.

You bought the cassette.

You bought the CD.

You downloaded 256 ACC from iTunes.

You'll download 24/96.

And then you'll download 24/192.

What? No DSD version, 5.1 remix, or Blu-ray audio with extra features?

A sidestep here about buying all the different versions: vinyl, CD, SHM CD etc. Somehow it seems that after you've bought the artistic property (or whatever it's called) you shouldn't have to keep shelling out full boat for different playback versions. But who am I?

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

A sidestep here about buying all the different versions: vinyl, CD, SHM CD etc. Somehow it seems that after you've bought the artistic property (or whatever it's called) you shouldn't have to keep shelling out full boat for different playback versions. But who am I?

If that were true, then what would pay folks for their hard work going into the new transcription from tape to 24/192, and then the new mastering and subsequent release at 24/96? I have no problem paying for newly transcribed and re-mastered versions of music which is important to me; I just hope these versions are done well. Current ADC and mastering technology allows for considerable improvement over the digital versions previously available (I grew up on original vinyl versions) IF the new versions are really well done using really good ADCs (and hoping the tapes are in decent condition).

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

I downloaded LZ IV from Qobuz that is supposed to be the same as the new CD release. It has a dynamic range of DR9 which is a bit down from the previous versions which were around 12, but not as bad as it could be. It does sound quite good though, as long as you are not expecting miracles.

Maybe. But we have seen remasters in hi-res and CD where the same basic master was used, but the CD master was more heavily volume compressed than the one for hi-res download, even though they both were sourced from the same files.

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

After reading the piece from Stereophile I'm even more worried. Gosh what do this current crop of music journos know if anything about hires.

Nobody asked the critical questions like did you use the original master tapes which Barry Diament says quote below:

If this in fact is the first time they have been mastered from the original tapes, I'm surprised there was no press about *finding* the original tapes.

When I mastered the original CD releases while at Atlantic (except for IV, which was the first one released and was done out at Warner Brothers in LA), I asked about the original tapes and was told they were "missing"

In fact it would be interesting if in fact Jimi Page has them which may be the case and if he has transferred these to 24/192 great.

To be honest releasing at 24/96 should be more than adequate considering the limited bandwidth of the original recordings.

It would be great to see the 24/96 released on BR. It also worries me that this is available from HD tracks only in this format. I've had very mixed results from HD downloads to the point where I'm only downloading something I really love. I'm over rehashed old recordings very few are better than CD. Hard to beat new recordings in hires 24/96/192.

OK, so now I'd like to know if the Hi-Res download within the Super Deluxe Edition Box will be 192 kHz/24 bit, or the same 96 kHz/24 bit files from HD Tracks?

According to Rhino: "High-def audio download card of all content at 96kHz/24 bit (Live tracks are 48kHz/24bit)"

First 3 albums are now posted at highresaudio.com; on sale beginning May 30.

I'm waiting.............Please God let these be great.........

according to respective web sites

Hopefully we'll get a "heads up" from those who can buy from highresaudio.

I heard The Immigrant Song and Whole Lotta' Love alternate takes on NPR today and they definitely sounded a bit different, and, well, awesome...even on FM radio.

Aurender N10--> DCS Bartok w Rossini Clock—>Audio Research REF6 Pre --> Vandersteen M5HPA—>Vandersteen Quatro CT Speakers; AMG Giro Turntable w Lyra Delos Cartridge —> Audio Research Ref 3 PhonoPre

Downloaded Led Zeppelin III Standard Edition from HighResAudio 96-24 FLAC. Transcoded to DSD128 during play.

Jriver audio analysis

LZ3 Analysis_resize.jpg

Average DR for the album is 9.8.

Spectrum for Immigrant Song, not much past "the barrier".

LZ3 Spectrum.jpg

Music plays very well, can only compare CD rips and Barry Diament masters.

I can see the CD rips being deleted, they sound like MP3 in comparison. The 96-24 have a lot of lift in the image stakes, good depth mainly height, rather than front to back. Not going to over the top here blubbering how good the tracks are just yet, have heard better recordings, but for LZ these recordings are a new beginning of what rock music should sound like.

Reverb on the opening for once is very good for Gallows Pole and the momentum builds as it should. Dynamics are present, but don't hit as hard as expected. Drums sound authentic, still a way to go though, I dare say Physical Graffiti would be the release worth waiting for.

Worth the investment - yes. The initial run through didn't spot any major drama, thumbs up for this release.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA