IGNORED

High Res Zeppelin Update (from Stereophile)

Hammer of the Gods.......................Excellent news. Here's hoping!

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

Of those who are die hard fans aren't going to at least try one of these out to listen?

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

Had all three Super Deluxe Box Sets ordered, but was only interested in the High Res and the books. Planned to sell the vinyl and CDs on eBay. When HDtracks announced... I let go of the books and cancelled.

August 1969: My first concert. 15 years old. To this day I don't remember who the other bands were that night. Zeppelin was an unknown, the opener, and they stole the show!

“We don’t like their sound … and guitar music is on the way out!”

– Decca Records, 1962

Taiko Audio Extreme | Vinnie Rossi L2i SE and L2 DAC | Omega Super Alnico Monitors | JL Audio Fathom Sub

Moondog. What a beyond cool story and experience. I knew who they were listening to FM "Underground Radio" and parents wouldn't let me go! My one buddy sneaked out of the house and told me all about it.

Didn't they open for "Spirit" on one of those early tours? Is that who you saw?

Had all three Super Deluxe Box Sets ordered, but was only interested in the High Res and the books. Planned to sell the vinyl and CDs on eBay. When HDtracks announced... I let go of the books and cancelled.

August 1969: My first concert. 15 years old. To this day I don't remember who the other bands were that night. Zeppelin was an unknown, the opener, and they stole the show!

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Didn't they open for "Spirit" on one of those early tours? Is that who you saw?

I saw them in Chicago. They opened for Vanilla Fudge. I remember Jimmy Page sitting with his legs over the end of the stage at two in the morning playing his double neck. There were probably 100 people still there. ( though now about 100,000 claim to have been there!)

Family Room: Panny TCP65S2, Panny BDP-55, DTV HR-24, SB Touch, Schiit Bifrost Multibit, Yamaha RX-V3900, Emotiva XPA-3, Rocket NM 550's, Rocket 150's, X-CS, UFW-10, Harmony 700.

Computer Room: Dell laptop, Uptone Regen Amber, Schiit Bifrost Multibit, Decware SE84C+, Zu Omen, ALO National, Mr.Speakers Mad Dog headphones

Heh, I was also 15 in '69, and the concert my mom wouldn't let me go see was Woodstock. :-(

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Heh, I was also 15 in '69, and the concert my mom wouldn't let me go see was Woodstock. :-(

Was 13 in 1969, asked Mom if I could "go on camping trip" with my bud/drummer in band and his older brother who was 18 to NYS, lived in CT. Mom's response was, "the brother with the hair down his back and painted up VW bus...no way!"

Sidelined for Woodstock, as well. Never saw Zep...that was a miss.

Listened to the clips of the bonus live tracks on the Special Edition LZI...Plant's voice is huge. Remember reading that on LZ's first tour, think it was as the New Yardbirds, his singing blew up the PAs...hearing him in 1969 explains that. Worth getting the album for the 3rd or 4th time.

Tone with Soul

I listened to some of the stuff last night. LZ II was great. I kind of thought that the sound quality for LZ III was notably worse -- flatter, less dynamic. Loved the bass on the live Dazed and Confused. Whole Lotta Love is awesome.

Aurender N10--> DCS Bartok w Rossini Clock—>Audio Research REF6 Pre --> Vandersteen M5HPA—>Vandersteen Quatro CT Speakers; AMG Giro Turntable w Lyra Delos Cartridge —> Audio Research Ref 3 PhonoPre

I listened to some of the stuff last night. LZ II was great. I kind of thought that the sound quality for LZ III was notably worse -- flatter, less dynamic. Loved the bass on the live Dazed and Confused. Whole Lotta Love is awesome.

blaven: I am surprised, my experience of the early LPs was that LZ-III was the first album with decent recording quality. It would be too bad that the new mastering would be flat sounding... IMO, LZ recordings get a lot better beyond LZ-III, really excited for Physical Graffitti and Presence with the new mastering and high res. I think I'll pick up LZ-II first though, I have not had a copy of that around for awhile.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

blaven: I am surprised, my experience of the early LPs was that LZ-III was the first album with decent recording quality. It would be too bad that the new mastering would be flat sounding... IMO, LZ recordings get a lot better beyond LZ-III, really excited for Physical Graffitti and Presence with the new mastering and high res. I think I'll pick up LZ-II first though, I have not had a copy of that around for awhile.

My initial impression was different than blaven's as well. Although I haven't listened to these albums in a while, listening to II reminded me how much noise is present within the recordings. It sounded damn good up loud, but I guess I was prepared to hear less noise, which I guess is just here to stay for better or worse.

Listening to III, I bought in to the sound fairly quickly, noting that it sounds fuller, cleaner, and warmer than II. More acoustic guitar throughout, and I admit I'm a sucker for that, but overall, I think III has better "resolution" than II.

I should have clarified, that I only listened briefly (the problem with 3 kids bedtime at 8:30PM). For LZ III, got through the 1st 3 songs. In particular, I was really excited to play Immigrant song for my 5yo Zeppelin lover, and it really seamed flat to me. I think someone commented on this in another thread as well, but confess to not having listened to more than this.

Whole Lotta Love was very impressive. The imaging was holographic, particularly in the psychedelic instrumental interlude in the middle, where it rivaled top surround mixes I have heard. I could swear there were rear speaker effects, but I only have a 2 channel rig in that room! (I had no mind-altering drugs on board-unless coconut water counts).

Aurender N10--> DCS Bartok w Rossini Clock—>Audio Research REF6 Pre --> Vandersteen M5HPA—>Vandersteen Quatro CT Speakers; AMG Giro Turntable w Lyra Delos Cartridge —> Audio Research Ref 3 PhonoPre

LZ II was one of my first album purchases. Played it first time on neighbors set up, his Dad had KLH speakers (they were "audiophile" for the day, at least in my neighborhood where everyone else had a console hifi in an ugly cabinet), and heard this channel bleed stuff happening and sort of ghosting of what Plant was going to sing before he sang it. Always wondered what was going on with that.

Barrows, what was that all about?

Tone with Soul

I was really excited to play Immigrant song [...] and it really seamed flat to me.

The Immigrant Song has always sounded odd - I don't think there's much that can be done without a full remix.

The rest of the [new HD reissue] album sounds great though, IMO.

I can say that the new 24Bit downloads are F'NG AMAZING!!!

I can't stop listening to them.

Why it has taken so long to fix some of the greatest rock albums of all time is bizarre.

Especially Zepp II. What a horrible sounding, bloaty, booy, muffled CD. But now it is clear, open and the detail is creapy.

Well done Jimmy!

Now, I have to patiently wait for the rest of the catalogue...

Just started listening to Zepp I & II. At first listen, I'm impressed. Sounds open and airy. I like the sound a lot. Gotta give props to HD Tracks too. I was one of the folks that bitched about their downloader nonstop. But the downloader thru JRiver has been smooth. Both these two and Blind Faith downloaded quickly with no problem

Family Room: Panny TCP65S2, Panny BDP-55, DTV HR-24, SB Touch, Schiit Bifrost Multibit, Yamaha RX-V3900, Emotiva XPA-3, Rocket NM 550's, Rocket 150's, X-CS, UFW-10, Harmony 700.

Computer Room: Dell laptop, Uptone Regen Amber, Schiit Bifrost Multibit, Decware SE84C+, Zu Omen, ALO National, Mr.Speakers Mad Dog headphones

Same here, bought I and Ii and they sound great. Biggest difference versus CD version to me is the imaging and spacing, not to say 3 dimensional because not quite. But everything is very clean. Kept checking my SPL meter but unfortunately for my ears, it sounded best around 95-97db. Very happy with it. Now hoping for a Houses of the Holy.

24/96 LZ II is the best version I have heard. More expansive, more details. Certainly not warm and fuzzy, but I am glad they did not go that route. I had early LPs back in the day... this is more appreciated than those. There will always be weak spots in these older rock recordings, despite JP's production abilities, rock recordings of this era were not expected to be "masterpieces" or to last forever. They were done fairly quickly, and engineers were on a steep learning curve trying to learn how to record the essence of the beginnings of heavy metal music.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

LZ I Deluxe has the channels reversed!

• 7 months later...

Amazon has new remaster - CD - of Physical Graffiti available Feb 24. So hi-res should be available around the same time.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)