IGNORED

HQ Player

58 minutes ago, Jud said:

Something similar has occurred for me with both Audirvana (various versions) and HQPlayer in microRendu 1.3 and 1.5, so if it is a software problem it may be in the microRendu.

I have had periodic issues like this, which occur and disappear without any predictable pattern or frequency.

In my case, the usual fix is to restart both NAA in the rendu and HQP on the server.  

If that doesn't work, I turn off my switch, my DAC, and my rendu.  Then, I restart them in that order. 

If that doesn't work, I listen using another protocol for awhile.  When I switch back to NAA after awhile, it almost always works again.

Pain in the arse, but the days of putting a CD in the tray, pressing "play, " and hearing music are long gone.

Also, FWIW, when HQP is working, it shows the name of your DAC as part of the end point.  Yours does not in the attached screenshot, but my W4S DAC's name appears as part of the end point when all is working.  (Screenshot is from HQP Embedded, but I recall that Desktop also shows DAC name explicitly when everything is working.)

Screenshot_20220222-094335_Splashtop.jpg

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

1 hour ago, Jud said:

Something similar has occurred for me with both Audirvana (various versions) and HQPlayer in microRendu 1.3 and 1.5, so if it is a software problem it may be in the microRendu.

If one has a spare microSD card, you could try also my NAA OS image on microRendu.

But it could be also some hardware level incompatibility between USB controller and the device USB interface.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

51 minutes ago, Mike Rubin said:

Also, FWIW, when HQP is working, it shows the name of your DAC as part of the end point.

If there's no DAC (or other audio interface) found behind a NAA, nothing is shown about the NAA.

Format that it shown there is <NAA name>:<audio interface name>

So what ever is before first colon is the name NAA is advertising and what ever is shown after the colon is what the DAC says as it's device string. What kind of device string DAC shows varies wildly, sometimes it's a name/model of the DAC (for example Topping shows model) and sometimes just name/model of the USB interface (Holo Audio).

RME is more advanced and embeds the device serial number to the device string, so if you have multiple RME devices connected these can be reliably identified. Unlike most other devices where even OS itself can become confused when you connect multiple devices with the same device identifier (can happen on macOS).

1 hour ago, Miska said:

If one has a spare microSD card, you could try also my NAA OS image on microRendu.

But it could be also some hardware level incompatibility between USB controller and the device USB interface.

I’m assuming the microSD card contains the entire OS for the mR and therefore if you want the regular OS back you just switch back to the regular card.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I have a uRendu with its microSD in the latest version 2.8 which contains the HQPlayer NAA in version 4.0.0 . Despite being working normally, would there be any advantage in using your own latest version and in that case what would it be, as I'm not sure? As I understand it, just install on a microSD using Etcher.

When I purchased my microRendu version 1.5 new from SGC in the fall of 2020, it came with Sonicorbiter OS version 2.8 which included HQPlayer NAA version 4.1.1. I have never seen an update available for Sonicorbiter OS and I have never seen an update offered from the microRendu for a newer version of HQPlayer NAA. What version of HQPlayer NAA should we be running, how do we obtain the most current version of HQP NAA, and how do we install the latest version if one is available ?

@stefano_mbpis this the file you are referring to?

naa-413-cubox-i-rendu.7z

35 minutes ago, OzarkMtn said:

When I purchased my microRendu version 1.5 new from SGC in the fall of 2020, it came with Sonicorbiter OS version 2.8 which included HQPlayer NAA version 4.1.1. I have never seen an update available for Sonicorbiter OS and I have never seen an update offered from the microRendu for a newer version of HQPlayer NAA. What version of HQPlayer NAA should we be running, how do we obtain the most current version of HQP NAA, and how do we install the latest version if one is available ?

For sonicOrbiter OS, you get updates through SGC. If you are on 4.1.1 you should be fine for most cases. Most recent 4.2.0 adds some fixes to deal with certain buggy XMOS firmwares, this may or may not be applicable to you depending on your DAC.

But functionally, there's not much difference since 4.1.1.

Just now, OzarkMtn said:

What do I gain or lose besides obtaining the current version of HQPlayer NAA by installing @Miska's NAA OS on the mR?

Anyone else replace the original microRendu Sonicorbiter OS with @Miska's NAA OS? Any insight to going down this path? I have never considered going this route.

It's easy enough that you may as well just try it. I'm away from home or I would do so and report back.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

3 minutes ago, Miska said:

For sonicOrbiter OS, you get updates through SGC. If you are on 4.1.1 you should be fine for most cases. Most recent 4.2.0 adds some fixes to deal with certain buggy XMOS firmwares, this may or may not be applicable to you depending on your DAC.

But functionally, there's not much difference since 4.1.1.

I have had no problems with my microRendu or my Denafrips Pontus II DAC. Sound like I should "leave well enough alone".

2 minutes ago, musicjunkie917 said:

Strange. Every time I compare DSD256 with ADSM7ECv2 to DSD512 with ASDM7 512+fs, the former wins and it is not close. My DAC is a May KTE…

I would like to have this problem!  My DACs only go to DSD256!

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

13 hours ago, musicjunkie917 said:

Strange. Every time I compare DSD256 with ADSM7ECv2 to DSD512 with ASDM7 512+fs, the former wins and it is not close. My DAC is a May KTE…

Room can be a big part of it.  This is the best sounding room I have had my speakers in by far.  That is 8 rooms/houses  my speakers and my buddies almost exactly the same speakers who I set up for him have been in.  Then there is listening tastes and what we value in playback.  Each to their own.  Try DSD512 with gauss XLA as filter and DSD5v2 or the 256f version of it to 256 w EC.