IGNORED

HQ Player

Just tested HQP 4.17 on win 11 pro machine, 11900K, 3060 GPU, multicore DSP is checked.  I can play DSD512 w EC7v2 modulator and so far poly sinc MP, gauss XLA for 44.1-96K base rates.  Well done Jussi.  If I grey multicore DSP I get dropouts every minute or so.  Now 4.14-3 and 4.17 can do the magic at least for my set up.

Add gauss-hires-mp to the can play list

39 minutes ago, dericchan1 said:

Is gauss hires basically an upgraded version of gauss and will likely requires more cpu resource?

I'm not Miska, but I'd say rather than "upgrade" it's a new variant that rolls off sooner and provides the shortest filter length of the gauss variants. And therefore should require less CPU resources. Obviously also no 16x intemediate rates for SDM outputs are required.

Therefore suitable to upsample 88.2kHz and higher source content - so a gauss variant with the "Oversampling Nx" tab in mind (amongst other use cases).

I could be wrong, of course :-)

Mac Mini, HQPlayer | iFi Zenstream (NAA) | Intona 7055-B | Singxer SDA-6 pro | Vincent SV237 | Buchardt S400 | SPL Phonitor One | Beyer DT1990pro | Avantone Pro Planar II
Desktop: Audirvana Origin | Intona 7054 | SMSL M500MKII | Pro-Ject Stereo Box S | Aperion Novus B5 Bookshelf | Lehmann Rhinelander | Beyer DT700proX

Gapless playback with Adaptive Gain:

On 2/12/2022 at 9:39 PM, Miska said:

Now fixed for next release...

4.17 👍🙏

Mac Mini, HQPlayer | iFi Zenstream (NAA) | Intona 7055-B | Singxer SDA-6 pro | Vincent SV237 | Buchardt S400 | SPL Phonitor One | Beyer DT1990pro | Avantone Pro Planar II
Desktop: Audirvana Origin | Intona 7054 | SMSL M500MKII | Pro-Ject Stereo Box S | Aperion Novus B5 Bookshelf | Lehmann Rhinelander | Beyer DT700proX

1 minute ago, Quadman said:

It was pushing my 11900K pretty hard and I noted the highest ave temps on the CPU I have seen, this with DSD512, EC7v2, gauss-hires-mp.  I clearly need AIO cooling for this CPU.

maybe for the very reason that it does not utilze 16x intermediate rates for SDM output.

But I'm not sure - maybe Miska just didn't note 16x intermediate rates for SDM output in the manual for this new filter.

6 minutes ago, copy_of_a said:

I'm not Miska, but I'd say rather than "upgrade" it's a new variant that rolls off sooner and provides the shortest filter length of the gauss variants. And therefore should require less CPU resources. Obviously also no 16x intemediate rates for SDM outputs are required.

poly-sinc-gauss-hires has 8x intermediate, but since it is usually used with hires to begin with, the intermediate is at least the same as for other poly-sinc-gauss. For 1x source rates it is equivalent of -2s filter variants.

6 minutes ago, copy_of_a said:

Therefore suitable to upsample 88.2kHz and higher content - so a gauss variant with the "Oversampling Nx" tab in mind (amongst other use cases).

I could be wrong, of course :-)

You are pretty much spot on. Since there is a lot of hires content from Qobuz and highresaudio.com, HDTracks and the likes, I decided that it was very much worth designing a filter specializing on this kind of content.

It is designed such way that it also tames the rising noise floor slopes of 192/352.8k content, so it serves similar purposes as "HF filters" provided in some other environments without extra processing or down sides. And with lossy 1x content like MP3 and MQA, the highest frequencies before Nyquist are missing or broken. 128 kbps MP3 is specified to have 16 kHz bandwidth, while the poly-sinc-gauss-hires begins to roll-off above 18 kHz. While it still reaches full attenuation by Nyquist. It also focuses on fact that most hires content is 48k-base rate. All this while producing same very high reconstruction accuracy (equivalent of 50-bit PCM resolution).

poly-sinc-gauss-hires.png.ca5de1ba63d898c3decec62909e6a4e7.png

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

I can't run v4.17 or v4.16 on my Win 10 machine. I had no problem with v4.13.

It looks to install fine, but just won't startup.

I can't remember where the logfile is!

Thoughts??

Bob

Mac Mini M1 12 volt dc > Roon > HQ Player to DSD 256 > Fibre to EtherRegen w/LPS1.2 and BG7TBL OCXO > Sonore microRendu v1.3 > IsoRegen > Denafrips Iris > i2s  > Denafrips Pontus II > Schiit Freya+ w/ Linlai E-6SN7's >  Nord One Up NCore 500 monoblocks REV D w/SI990Enh op amps > Martin Logan Impression 11A w/ dual Rythmik E15HP2 subs. Supra Cat8, JPS Labs Superconductor+ cables

2 hours ago, Quadman said:

Just tested HQP 4.17 on win 11 pro machine, 11900K, 3060 GPU, multicore DSP is checked.  I can play DSD512 w EC7v2 modulator and so far poly sinc MP, gauss XLA for 44.1-96K base rates.  Well done Jussi.  If I grey multicore DSP I get dropouts every minute or so.  Now 4.14-3 and 4.17 can do the magic at least for my set up.

Add gauss-hires-mp to the can play list

I concur. Similar setup 11900, 3060, RAM at 3733 and Win 11. DSD512x48, ec7v2 and just about any filters. I can do ext3, gauss-xla and sinc-Mx at a hard push. Have not tried sinc-L but seeing sinc-Mx is already pushing the PC to the brink, I doubt that is possible. Power usage is up 40% and temperature up 10C but still only around 65C and manageable. Thanks Miska.

37 minutes ago, Quadman said:

What is your cooling solution.  With my noctura air cooler ave cpu themps were mid to upper 70's, ouch.

Also fan cooling profiles set in BIOS affect temps. I'm keeping my fan profiles set to "Silent", so fans run just enough to keep CPU within operating temp range.

But 75C or so is just fine.

29 minutes ago, Schafheide said:

Hi Miska

Re HQPlayer Desktop 14.7.0

"Performance optimizations for EC modulators."

Your continuous improvement of your product never ceases to amaze me!

And it is extremely appreciated. Thank you.

Seriously I am looking  forward to this day when my 6th gen i7 is able to run dsd512 with ECV2 !!!  (In my dream)

Keep up the excellent work Miska!! Much appreciated!!!

Deric

2 hours ago, Quadman said:

What is your cooling solution.  With my noctura air cooler ave cpu themps were mid to upper 70's, ouch.

My setup Asus Rog Z590 Maximus Xiii extreme and I made use of its AI cooling. Cpu cooler is the huge passive noctua nh-p1. I do use an extension fan for the Noctua but keep it in silent mode under 700rpm. I had the Hdplex linear psu but was not happy with only 400w which was causing problems at times. Now I have the Silverstone passive nj700  psu which has good voltage regulation +/- 2% and low ripple noise. Hard to find the right case to fit all that in and put it in the lounge room without wife complaining. So I just put it in an open work bench which also help with the cooling.. 

6 hours ago, Schafheide said:

Hi Miska

Re HQPlayer Desktop 14.7.0

"Performance optimizations for EC modulators."

Your continuous improvement of your product never ceases to amaze me!

And it is extremely appreciated. Thank you.

Yes, so true. I still struggle with EC modulators at DSD512 and suspect it is some other aspect of my chain, not HQ Player related. That said, I am really enjoying poly-sinc-gauss-hires-ip with ASDM5ECv2 at DSD256. This filter sounds great even from red book source even though I know that wasn't the design goal. It brings forth some warm musicality but still provides great detail and imaging, no small feat to accomplish in one package. Much appreciation, @Miska.

Desktop: HQ Player --> Singxer SU-1 --> Matrix X-Sabre Pro --> McChanson SuperSilver UltimatE

Headphones: Audeze MM-500, Meze Audio Elite, Focal Utopia 2022, Focal Bathys (Wireless)

Portable Gear: Hiby RS6, xDuoo XD05 Bal 2, FiiO BTR7, Creative BT-W5, FiiTii HiFiDots TWS

Nearfield Active Speakers: Audioengine HD3 

Power Conditioning: Furman Elite-15 PFi

6 hours ago, Schafheide said:

As happy as I am with 14.7.0 for PCM conversion, correct me if I am wrong, but for SDM - SDM conversion the only room for future improvement is -

1. The modulator

2. SDM conversion (Wide vs Narrow)

Sorry, what  is the Integrator?

It is the third setting for SDM-SDM conversion you can find under "DSD Source Settings".

Lately it happens that I hear sharpness in the sound of new albums. Then I look at the Apod counter in HQPlayer. If the numbers shoot up, then I already know what's going on. At these high values, an apodizing filter no longer does anything for me. I delete these albums.  

43051449hz.png

59 minutes ago, StreamFidelity said:

Lately it happens that I hear sharpness in the sound of new albums. Then I look at the Apod counter in HQPlayer. If the numbers shoot up, then I already know what's going on. At these high values, an apodizing filter no longer does anything for me. I delete these albums.  

43051449hz.png

You could try for example the new poly-sinc-gauss-hires for such. Most RedBook content of pop/rock from past 20 years triggers the counter.