IGNORED

HQ Player

Just now, Miska said:

There are just numbers referring to the length. When you multiply the given figure by 16 you get the 16x (705.6/768k) length.

With shorter filters you get reduced length of "ringing" while not trading much on the filter roll-off. These are all still relatively long ones.

Oh, I see. I understood that part.

No electron left behind.

22 minutes ago, Miska said:

Is there anything in common regarding for example network? @ericuco @Quadman what kind of network setup do you have? Everything on a common gigabit network? NAA in use?

I am on a wifi network and have been ever since Roon and HQP back in late 15.  Modem is 2 floors above listening room and no ethernet.  Once my Achilles heals up I will run cat 6 down to listening room for ethernet and then maybe play with NAA's

22 minutes ago, Miska said:

There is now 5.15 series kernel for Ubuntu Focal.

I see it now, Thank you!!.  (your kernel is low latency I assume) I'll set that up and then I'll follow what I did on the Non-jussi focal kernel to complete the HQP.  I hate terminal (total newbie)..    Loving this new stuff you keep giving us.  Big and loud standing ovation to you!!

11 minutes ago, Miska said:

I wonder why this happens for some people, it is not happening to me with any of my machines.

Is there anything in common regarding for example network? @ericuco @Quadman what kind of network setup do you have? Everything on a common gigabit network? NAA in use?

My network connect from ISP is fiber running at 1 Gbps.

Router > 1 Gbps Ethernet > Mikrotik switch > 10 Gbps fiber > Mikrotik switch > 1 Gbps fiber > HQP server (Ubuntu 20.04) & HQP NAA (fitlet2)

so fairly straightforward & fast network.

8 minutes ago, ericuco said:

My network connect from ISP is fiber running at 1 Gbps.

Router > 1 Gbps Ethernet > Mikrotik switch > 10 Gbps fiber > Mikrotik switch > 1 Gbps fiber > HQP server (Ubuntu 20.04) & HQP NAA (fitlet2)

so fairly straightforward & fast network.

That certainly shouldn't have issues. Although I would recommend to confirm with "ethtool" that flow control is active:

root@linux-wks:~# ethtool -a enp7s0
Pause parameters for enp7s0:
Autonegotiate:	on
RX:		on
TX:		on

10 seconds before end of the track, HQPlayer begins to fetch the next one.

Only factors I can think of are:

• Network bandwidth/stalls
  • CPU time needed for the TLS (https) handshake
  • Random number generator or crypto parts needed for the TLS handshake blocking interrupts - but this wouldn't affect NAA

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

15 minutes ago, Miska said:

Although I would recommend to confirm with "ethtool" that flow control is active:

ethtool on my Ubuntu server with HQP Desktop shows autonegotiate=off, rx=on, tx=on.

The Mikrotik switches have flow control turned on if applicable. In router, QoS set priority for Ubuntu server.

Just to be clear, dropouts with Qobuz isn’t ever track but frequent, perhaps once or twice per album.

I also have a static noise when trying to play DSD formatted files with both Client and “drag & drop” into Desktop window. I converted DSD files to FLAC which plays without static. Also, same DSD files play fine (no static) when using Roon as frontend to HQP. DSD files are on common NAS, so same source for both approaches.

5 hours ago, Miska said:

But it is not a Mac? If it's a Mac, latest macOS version should still work.

One option is to use Ubuntu Desktop 20.04 and install generic build of HQPlayer Desktop on it. This way you can use latest HQPlayer version.

Thanks Miska:

It's a Windows PC. I can wait for the new Mac Mini, hopefully in March.

Bob

Mac Mini M1 12 volt dc > Roon > HQ Player to DSD 256 > Fibre to EtherRegen w/LPS1.2 and BG7TBL OCXO > Sonore microRendu v1.3 > IsoRegen > Denafrips Iris > i2s  > Denafrips Pontus II > Schiit Freya+ w/ Linlai E-6SN7's >  Nord One Up NCore 500 monoblocks REV D w/SI990Enh op amps > Martin Logan Impression 11A w/ dual Rythmik E15HP2 subs. Supra Cat8, JPS Labs Superconductor+ cables

AMD optimised 4.17.0 Desktop on Ubuntu has slightly better max CPU load and distribution on my aging 9700. However, it create drop-off every about 2-3 mins with ext2 / ASDM5ECv2 when using DSD512 from 192kHz.

With 4.16.2, I can just barely do it.

Hope the next 4.17.x could combine both strength and help many old system like mine hold back for a little bit longer time. 😀

RoonROCK: NUC8i5 Akasa case > HQPlayer OS in HDPlex H3V3 case - i7-14700K > Oratek TOFU Raspberry Pi CM4  - Jussi's NAA OS > Holo Spring 3 L2 DAC with Preamp > DIY EL84PP amp > Snell Type E/III speakers

Ubiquiti EdgerouterX SFP / Sonore Optical Module / Linear Power Supply for all

4 hours ago, ericuco said:

I also have a static noise when trying to play DSD formatted files with both Client and “drag & drop” into Desktop window. I converted DSD files to FLAC which plays without static. Also, same DSD files play fine (no static) when using Roon as frontend to HQP. DSD files are on common NAS, so same source for both approaches.

This is weird. With T+A? Original firmware or the Linux compatible one? This usually happens if there's a timing issue or loss of data due to such.

Difference is that in one case path is NAS -> HQPlayer and in the other one NAS -> Roon -> HQPlayer. File buffering semantics are different in these two cases.

These indicate towards the network one way or the other. Can you check flow control also at NAA side?

4 hours ago, ericuco said:

ethtool on my Ubuntu server with HQP Desktop shows autonegotiate=off, rx=on, tx=on

Autonegotiation should appear ON, otherwise it is hinting that there may not be the necessary negotiation happening between nodes.

If packet loss happens due to failing flow control, it causes re-send storm that may cause more failing which results in traffic stall.

2 hours ago, chipvn said:

AMD optimised 4.17.0 Desktop on Ubuntu has slightly better max CPU load and distribution on my aging 9700. However, it create drop-off every about 2-3 mins with ext2 / ASDM5ECv2 when using DSD512 from 192kHz.

With 4.16.2, I can just barely do it.

Hope the next 4.17.x could combine both strength and help many old system like mine hold back for a little bit longer time. 😀

Also try the generic build with Multicore DSP checked/grayed. On AMD build, just leave it grayed, changing the setting doesn't really have much effect there.

19 minutes ago, Miska said:

Also try the generic build with Multicore DSP checked/grayed. On AMD build, just leave it grayed, changing the setting doesn't really have much effect there.

Thanks, Jussi.

I have tried both build with almost all combination. So far, the AMD build on Ubuntu with grayed Multicore DSP is still the most resource friendly one from the 4.14.x till now.

RoonROCK: NUC8i5 Akasa case > HQPlayer OS in HDPlex H3V3 case - i7-14700K > Oratek TOFU Raspberry Pi CM4  - Jussi's NAA OS > Holo Spring 3 L2 DAC with Preamp > DIY EL84PP amp > Snell Type E/III speakers

Ubiquiti EdgerouterX SFP / Sonore Optical Module / Linear Power Supply for all

15 hours ago, ericuco said:

ethtool on my Ubuntu server with HQP Desktop shows autonegotiate=off, rx=on, tx=on.

The Mikrotik switches have flow control turned on if applicable. In router, QoS set priority for Ubuntu server.

Just to be clear, dropouts with Qobuz isn’t ever track but frequent, perhaps once or twice per album.

Try turning off QoS in the Router. It should not be needed and it caused problems for me when I tried it.

12 hours ago, Miska said:

Autonegotiation should appear ON, otherwise it is hinting that there may not be the necessary negotiation happening between nodes.

Out of curiosity I looked this up on my system as well, and found a confusing (for me at least) situation:

Auto-negotiate is enabled both in the Mikrotik switch and on my Intel X520-DA2 NIC, but ethtool -a for the NIC reports Autonegotiate to be off… Any hint where I could look or what to do to resolve this? I sometimes (once or twice a week) have a few network dropouts when HQPlayer Embedded is playing to the NAA, playback stops once or twice for a few seconds, then resumes automatically, so I‘d assume this is the reason.

07899C91-66C6-4851-8368-957918D0AC4B.jpeg

D3122C65-6869-43D7-8430-EC5C7855D749.jpeg

22 minutes ago, Fredc said:

I have a question on SDM to SDM conversion. Say when I upsample DSD64 to DSD512, does the conversion process goes through PCM first?

No, the conversion happens direct from one SDM rate to another SDM rate. Also any DSP processing that you apply in such case, happens at the source rate.

13 minutes ago, Miska said:

No, the conversion happens direct from one SDM rate to another SDM rate. Also any DSP processing that you apply in such case, happens at the source rate.

That;'s great. Some new T+A high end DACs has their  "breakthrough" T+A-True-1Bit DSD D/A-Converter that does that and they claim that to be unique.

26 minutes ago, Miska said:

Those T+A DACs pair nicely with HQPlayer's upsampling. They are pure bit-perfect DSD D/A converters, where the input bits end up as-is to the actual analog conversion stage.

T+A-True-1Bit DSD D/A-Converter is supposed to do the DSD upsampling. I guess if you have already done that in HQplayer, you don't need to make use of that.