IGNORED

HQ Player

re RME ADI2 dac (v.1), anyone know the effect of its standby function on its internal clocks? Better to leave permanently ON?

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

13 hours ago, k6davis said:

Is that case that the M1 Mac Mini can do Sinc-L at DSD256? I thought a higher-end CUDA GPU card was necessary for that.

12 hours ago, Nikko1960 said:

I'm just going on what I read earlier in this thread.  I hope so as I'm about to buy one.

It was stated here several times that the M1 chip is capable of EC at DSD256. If someone said that it was also capable of Sinc-L at DSD256, then I missed that. 

So has any Apple M1 owner actually gotten Sinc-L at DSD256 to work? 

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

7 hours ago, jamesg11 said:

Entirely ‘explicable’ ... for those of us inclined to apple simplicity & wary of the learning curve + cost of heading into pc construction ...

Simplicity? We're talking about powerful PCs here, to run hqplayer... Not game consoles.

How apple PCs would be "simpler" than w10 ones? I used both and i don't see such a difference, we're not talking about linux. Plus, w10 users have much larger choice of software, much wider support community, much higher compatibility. BUT with a bit of an effort you can even install mac os on an assembled pc, if you want, so no "simplicity" difference. 

And assembled windows PCs are much cheaper, at same performance level, than apple ones (even some i5 machines can do dsd256 EC today! And adding a proper gpu, many i7 can do sync L too). I can build for 1000 usd a win pc that is WAY more powerful than an apple M1, with more cores, more flexible, more expandable, more future-proof. After initial expense, if my performance requirements raise (ex. multichannel, dsp, hqplayer new filters/modulators, etc...) i can easily upgrade to a more powerful pc replacing only the cpu, or cpu + motherboard, adding ram, disk space, a more powerful gpu... So spending much less in time than having to buy a notebook, than another from next gen, and so on. I can do what i want reaching the desired performance and minimizing cost, even staying in very small dimensions and weight.

And don't tell me that assembling a PC is so difficult, in 2021... You can pay 50 usd to a nearby pc store to do that for you, if you're not able to do that by yourself. 

Notebooks are for portability, and you pay much for that ability in terms of cost, power, expandibility, and so on. If you don't really need that level of portability (travel, work away from home  etc...) buying a notebook is inexplicable for me

1 hour ago, Geoffrey Armstrong said:

Surely on Mac you're limited to DoP, which maxes out at DSD128. Unless, of course, you're outputting to an NAA.

The exasound dacs have an ASIO driver capable of DSD256 on Mac; but that ceased to work with HQPlayer from series 4.

Yep, as per sig, ultraRendu NAA.

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

23 hours ago, Nikko1960 said:

How do you like your Golden Atlantic?

Sorry for the (short) continuation of the OT Lampi discussion.... love it!  I’m checking into the new JLSounds USB that they are using now to be able to use the various Linux based NAAs.  (the Amanero version of Win+Linux firmware is iffy)  But the DAC end of things is really good, and they have the new DSD engine.  Very easy to hear all of the HQP filter and modulator differences.  Do run yours in for a couple hundred hours before it settles in.  Enjoy!

18 hours ago, luisma said:

Hello everyone, today I connected to my HQPe PC running Ubuntu which is always ON and I installed back in Nov 2020. HQPe shows as Trial not licensed and I noticed the fingerprint changed without me altering hardware, including CPU, RAM, board, SSD, etc. I decided to go back from 4.21.1-60 to 4.20.3-58 still the same "wrong" fingerprint. I wonder if an earlier 4.20 will show another fingerprint.

Anyone has experienced anything like this?

Replying to my own post

Miska just replied, there is a possibility I was using a fingerprint from Audiolinux which is different than Ubuntu's

I'm going to confirm and provide feedback on the forum

Roon 1.8 will be released soon.

Jussi: did you get to test HQP? 

Should we wait before upgrading?

Mac Mini Late 2014 (16G/SSD) w Uptone JS-2 w OWC Thunderbay 4 Mini RAID (JS-2) / Roon

Aqua LinQ w EtherCon cable (Ghent) w Uptone EtherRegen w Uptone JS-2

Aqua Formula xHD w Ocellia RCA Interconnect & Shunyata Delta NR

Kora TB 200 Integrated Amplifier w Audio Art Power Cable

Magico V2 w Ocellia speaker cables w Shunyata Dark Field Elevator & JL Audio E-Sub e110 X 2

All equipment, including subwoofer on Modulum platforms (modulumaudio.com)

16 hours ago, Geoffrey Armstrong said:

I tried this morning with my M1 Mac Air to an NAA with SincL at DSD256 using an EC modulator. Got dropouts.

…but I got the same dropouts with much lighter settings. So I obviously have some network issues.

Keep us posted on developments! ... close to getting the M1 Mini.

I just bought an M1 today to test it out with HQPlayer to upsample redbook to DSD512. Also saw that it's easy enough to add more memory if needed. As the M1 will only be running HQPlayer, wasn't sure if it needed more or not. Any config tips I need to know about? This is my first MAC product....

5 hours ago, cesio said:

Using this setting to have a smooth decrease in the higher frequencies. Are there any side effects on audio quality? Because my goal is just a slight change in tone for my taste.

2021-02-08_cr.jpg

You could likely get similar by putting f in the middle of transition (1 kHz?) and use fairly small value for s.

For example

iir:type=hshelf;f=1000;s=0.1;g=-6

Gives following kind of response

Screenshot_2021-02-08_22-37-57.png.60ed1fe315284c88503faeae6c0540af.png

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

On 2/4/2021 at 2:10 PM, Zauurx said:

I use an i5-8400 as described here :

And I use Roon Radio .. and when there is a blank or a dropout .. a DSD is playing. Too late to change modulator ! 🤪

I also have an HAF convolution via matrix, which consumes a little but with an input as useful as HQP!

Likely reason for the heavy load is convolution for DSD. But that is something where GPU can help a lot.

On 2/4/2021 at 6:33 PM, juanitox said:

Still in love with multibits dac sounds , i wonder what HQP PCM filter will be near with my HOLO as the 

old Good sounding Digimaster filter of the first generation of Wadia ( 2000/ 9/x64).

non apodizing perhaps?

I would get started with minringFIR and maybe check polynomial2 as well. Although the latter is really poor in terms of "filter".

On 2/4/2021 at 7:50 PM, sledwards said:

Quick question on configuration. I am going to move Roon off my HQPlayer Embedded server machine and put it on its own machine.  Right now, my music resides on the HQPlayer machine (4 TB SSD).  For efficiency, should I leave my music on the HQPlayer machine, or move it to the Roon machine where the Roon library resides? My intuition says to leave it on the HQPlayer machine to avoid another trip over the network thru the switch before HQPlayer processes the music file. Or maybe it really doesn't matter.

If you use Roon, it should be close to Roon, because Roon always streams the content to HQPlayer and doesn't let HQPlayer to directly access it. Otherwise it'll make two trips over the network, back and forth.

This is very different from the case when HQPlayer is used standalone.

On 2/5/2021 at 4:24 PM, highsinad said:

@Miska I am also trying to do 1.5 mhz but am using HQplayer desktop and get stuttering and scratchy sounds. I know this is for linux operating system but I was wondering if there was a similar fix for HQPlayer desktop to be able to get those rates? 

Which Linux are you using? You need either HQPlayer OS or Ubuntu/Debian with my custom kernel. In addition you must use Intel USB controller built to the motherboard.

Alternatively you can set DAC Bits to 16 and use suitable noise shaping like LNS15, NS9 or NS5 and then it works on any kernel or macOS.

On 2/5/2021 at 11:40 PM, pdvm said:

Finally, through BlackHole, I am able to use Audirvana as a front end for HQPlayer! 

I was wondering, have you found a way to make BlackHole (or another program, through BlackHole) automatically change the input sample rate in HQPlayer, the way Roon is able to? 

Not that way, but if you use HQPlayer Embedded and Audirvana's UPnP output support, the combination works fine.

On 2/6/2021 at 2:30 PM, Rovo said:

I have installed vc_redist.x64.exe (following the link on the Signalist web page) followed by Update for Windows Server 2012 R2 (KB2999226). When trying to install networkaudiod.exe again I got the message that qwave.dll was missing. Downloaded and installed qwave.dll in the directories "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\" and "C:\Windows\System32\". This functioned, but I got a next .dll missing: api-ms-win-core-libraryloader-l1-2-2.dll. Did the same as for qwave.dll. This functioned also, but got a next .dll missing: api-ms-win-core-synch-l1-2-1.dll.

Your Windows installation is missing Windows components... But OTOH, Server versions of Windows are not supported. Should work fine on stock installation of Windows 10.

Just copying missing DLL like qwave.dll doesn't help, because it is only front-end to the service that also needs to be running, or otherwise you get broken functionality (missing QoS support).

On 2/7/2021 at 9:50 AM, k6davis said:

It was stated here several times that the M1 chip is capable of EC at DSD256. If someone said that it was also capable of Sinc-L at DSD256, then I missed that. 

So has any Apple M1 owner actually gotten Sinc-L at DSD256 to work? 

I don't remember if I've tried. But I'm fairly certain it won't work. Because for processing filters you have the four low power cores left. So you can only do light weight filters.