IGNORED

HQ Player

11 minutes ago, Yviena said:

I see... just curious but what did you actually do to reduce the thread usage that much for AMD CPU's?

It actually performs equally well compared to the normal build on i7-8086K when tested with HQPlayer Embedded. It just suffers quite a lot on my Xeon W2245 because I had to disable AVX-512 support and bunch of other things too.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

22 minutes ago, Miska said:

It actually performs equally well compared to the normal build on i7-8086K when tested with HQPlayer Embedded. It just suffers quite a lot on my Xeon W2245 because I had to disable AVX-512 support and bunch of other things too.

1 hour ago, Miska said:

Yes, should work fine with the UP Gateway + NAA OS. This same applies also for doing DSD1024. I think I've tested both Holo Spring 2 and T+A HA 200.

32x PCM also works from my iMac when DAC Bits is set to 16. If you have incompatible software/hardware, you need to set DAC Bits to 16 to make it work. There's no quality loss if you use proper noise shaper like LNS15, NS9 or NS5.

With Spring (1 or 2) or May, set DAC Bits to minimum 16, but maximum 20.

So I've tried a few things, using different sources, buffer settings, USB 3.0 vs 2.0 port, even changing USB cable, but so far not much luck other than one change;
When I use the HQP NAA image, the music plays at the correct speed, but sounds robotic and distorted (video here: https://streamable.com/mikhdf )
When I use RopieeeXL or my SMS200 Ultra, it plays at half-speed AND sounds robotic/distorted.

The video above shows the issue i'm having.
Do you know what might be causing this?

The only other thing I can really think of would be my networking somehow? Though i'm not doing anything particularly unusual there. Just normal asus router with standard config.

https://youtube.com/goldensound

Roon -> HQPlayer -> SMS200 Ultra/SPS500 -> Holo Audio May (Wildism Edition) -> Holo Audio Serene (Wildism Edition) -> Benchmark AHB2 -> Hifiman Susvara

4 hours ago, Miska said:

I still think that there's something wrong with Hqplayer, and AMD though, i made it so only 2 specific cores can be used for HQplayer (multi DSP needs to be on else it stutters regardless), and sometimes thread usage is 60-68% for the 2 threads so closeish to what you get with the optimized build, but going to settings, and restarting playback brings it back upto 90-100% which it shouldn't really do as everything is literally the same threads are confined to those cores etc, a change from 44.1 to 48khz, or vice versa  also seem to be the same as going to settings, i think it's the re-initialization that does it.  

This test was done with nothing else running also.

4 hours ago, Yviena said:

I still think that there's something wrong with Hqplayer, and AMD though, i made it so only 2 specific cores can be used for HQplayer (multi DSP needs to be on else it stutters regardless), and sometimes thread usage is 60-68% for the 2 threads so closeish to what you get with the optimized build, but going to settings, and restarting playback brings it back upto 90-100% which it shouldn't really do as everything is literally the same threads are confined to those cores etc, a change from 44.1 to 48khz, or vice versa  also seem to be the same as going to settings, i think it's the re-initialization that does it.  

This test was done with nothing else running also.

No, there's nothing wrong with HQPlayer. But there's a lot wrong with Windows. And HQPlayer can use all the cores and threads of the CPU. Just use poly-sinc-xtr (non-2s) or sinc-L filter and you see more activity.

Just switch to Linux and you see much more consistent behavior. Windows just has habit of randomly stuffing multiple things on same cores.

8 hours ago, GoldenOne said:

When I use the HQP NAA image, the music plays at the correct speed, but sounds robotic and distorted (video here: https://streamable.com/mikhdf )

On which hardware? It needs to be something with Intel USB controller.

8 hours ago, GoldenOne said:

Do you know what might be causing this?

Yes, you need to have right combination of hardware and software.

12 hours ago, GoldenOne said:

has anyone been able to get 1.536mhz working with an NAA?
I've tried with both a pi4 (USB 3 and USB 2 ports) and my sms200 ultra but cannot get it to work.

1.536 mHz is no problem with the NAA image and a NUC7i7DNKE here. DAC Bits is set to 20. Even when I was playing around with Diretta 1.4112 and 1.536 mHz were no problem but I had set DAC Bits to 16.

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

bedroom: pi3/DigiOne (RoPieee) --> S.M.S.L M500 --> KRK Rokit 5 or AKG 712 Pro

4 minutes ago, denniswaugh said:

I can't see HQplayer OS download at the bottom of the page either.

https://www.signalyst.com/embedded-install.html?

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

bedroom: pi3/DigiOne (RoPieee) --> S.M.S.L M500 --> KRK Rokit 5 or AKG 712 Pro

4 hours ago, Miska said:

On which hardware? It needs to be something with Intel USB controller.

Yes, you need to have right combination of hardware and software.

Ah, i'm using the sotm SMS200 Ultra, and a raspberry pi 4. Does that mean it won't be possible to use 1.536mhz on either of those?

Roon -> HQPlayer -> SMS200 Ultra/SPS500 -> Holo Audio May (Wildism Edition) -> Holo Audio Serene (Wildism Edition) -> Benchmark AHB2 -> Hifiman Susvara

on naa I use both gentoo (on usb stick) and the image of Miska 411 for windows ....
no problem reproducing the pcm 1536mhz.
on the server the s.o. it's windows server2016

sistema:

Server HDPlex (i7-6700-WS2016) HQPlayer con Ramdisk + HQPDcontrol > Macmini (roon core+Qobuz) o HQPlayer Client + Qobuz > HDPlex NAA (celeron G1840T-WS2016) NAD con Ramdisk, o miniPC Fitlet con immagine di Miska > Denafrips Ares2 , SPLvolume2 > Monitor KH+sub

6 minutes ago, giordy60 said:

on naa I use both gentoo (on usb stick) and the image of Miska 411 for windows ....
no problem reproducing the pcm 1536mhz.
on the server the s.o. it's windows server2016

yeah it seems any intel machine is fine. 
My AMD PC also doesn't have an issue with it, can do 1.536mhz direct from my pc without issue.

But so far any NAA/streamer i've tried I get the robot issue. I'd really like to be able to avoid having to swap my streamer out for a nuc to get it working if possible but I don't know if there will be a choice. 

The SMS200 Ultra is using some customised USB solution with their own clocks. Sotm says that there is no reason as far as they're aware that 1.536mhz shouldn't work, but they do not have a 1.536mhz capable dac to test it. 

As far as the raspberry pi 4, bandwidth shouldn't be an issue, so I'm guessing as Jussi suggested it's a hardware thing.

Does anyone know WHY some non-intel stuff won't work? Would looove to get this working on my sms200 ultra

2 hours ago, denniswaugh said:

Thank you for the reply.

Is embedded the same as HQplayer OS?

On the signalyst web page it looks like HQplayer OS and embedded are two different programs.

HQPlayer Embedded is just the player software. HQPlayer OS is full custom operating system with HQPlayer Embedded installed on it.

So HQPlayer OS is HQPlayer Embedded + OS.

2 hours ago, GoldenOne said:

But so far any NAA/streamer i've tried I get the robot issue. I'd really like to be able to avoid having to swap my streamer out for a nuc to get it working if possible but I don't know if there will be a choice. 

You don't need anything as big as NUC. A small Intel Atom-based device/boards is enough.

1 hour ago, Miska said:

You don't need anything as big as NUC. A small Intel Atom-based device/boards is enough.

Its more that i'd rather keep using my SMS200 ultra instead.
768khz is fine though I think, its a shame the non-intel controllers don't work for 1.536mhz :( (though some do, my AMD pc is fine as mentioned)

Is there a particular reason known for why that is? Or chance it might work in future?

What is the latest 3.xx version released?
On my other PC where I still have v3 I am using 3.25.1 and wondered if I there's later release.

Vinnie Rossi LIO (AVC/Tubestage, AMP Module with built in HPF 100Hz 24dB/octave, DAC 2.0), Harbeth P3ESR, Rythmik F8

Win10 i7-7700 -> Roon -> HQPlayer DSD512- > LIO 100Hz HPF -> Harbeth P3ESR

->LIO  -> miniDSP <100Hz -> Rythmik F8  

Will there ever be a HQPlayer Linux OS with HQPlayer desktop version pre-installed on it?

i5 7600 fanless pc running Ubuntu 22.04 and HQPlayer Desktop > Cisco switch > 10Gtek fibre network > Raspberry Pi4 HQPlayerNAA > IFi purifier 3 > SRC-DX > Chord Qutest > Jotunheim 2 preamplifier > Ncore monoblocks > KEF R5 speakers.

1 hour ago, GoldenOne said:

Its more that i'd rather keep using my SMS200 ultra instead.
768khz is fine though I think, its a shame the non-intel controllers don't work for 1.536mhz :( (though some do, my AMD pc is fine as mentioned)

Is there a particular reason known for why that is? Or chance it might work in future?

Tim at Kitsune thought it was a driver issue in the chain but one that no one is in a hurry to fix as there are only two DACs that will accept 1.536 PCM.

10 hours ago, Miska said:

No, there's nothing wrong with HQPlayer. But there's a lot wrong with Windows. And HQPlayer can use all the cores and threads of the CPU. Just use poly-sinc-xtr (non-2s) or sinc-L filter and you see more activity.

Just switch to Linux and you see much more consistent behavior. Windows just has habit of randomly stuffing multiple things on same cores.

But then why when HQplayer is basically locked to those threads I've assigned, a simple re initialization of the filter/modulator etc when going into HQplayer settings increases the  thread load from 60% to 95-100% when playing back music.

I've verified that the thread distribution for HQplayer  is exactly the same between the 2 assigned cores between initialization, and there's nothing else running on the assigned cores either, at this point I'm  just confused as monitoring software shows the threads/load to be the exact same yet load is different.