IGNORED

HQ Player

On 2/7/2021 at 10:51 AM, Geoffrey Armstrong said:

Surely on Mac you're limited to DoP, which maxes out at DSD128. Unless, of course, you're outputting to an NAA.

The exasound dacs have an ASIO driver capable of DSD256 on Mac; but that ceased to work with HQPlayer from series 4.

On macOS you can get DSD256 on many DACs through CoreAudio, as long as the DAC can represent 705.6/768k PCM capability (like RME ADI-2, which is always DoP on all OS).

exaSound works up to DSD256 also through the CoreAudio driver, you don't need ASIO for that.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

3 minutes ago, CheapSplurge said:

What dither and dac bits is best for chord dacs, via optical with upsampling to 192?

If you use USB, it is 32-bit interface and LNS15 shaper.

With optical/coaxial/AES it is 24-bit interface and LNS15 shaper. So in these case, always remember to set DAC Bits to 24.

17 minutes ago, Miska said:

With optical/coaxial/AES it is 24-bit interface and LNS15 shaper. So in these case, always remember to set DAC Bits to 24.

What about if you are using i2s upsampling to DSD? I have an LKS MH-DA004 DAC being fed from a Sonore UltraDigital&Ultrarendu

45 minutes ago, Miska said:

OK thanks. So lns15 goes good with rverything. 

Am I limited to what filter I can have when using optical max 192k upsample? 

I'd like a filter that brings smoothness and laid back presentation. 

Buffer speed important? 

I'll only be using pcm. 

Any macOS Big Sur user with NAA?

I just upgrade my MacBookPro from Mojave to BigSur ... HQP Desktop 3.25.6 doesn't work anymore with NAA

I also tried HQP Desktop 4.0 just to double check and but no sound at all ...

HQPD4.0 just show additional info (see below)

Any clue?

Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 10.56.55 PM.png

37 minutes ago, fmzip said:

What about if you are using i2s upsampling to DSD? I have an LKS MH-DA004 DAC being fed from a Sonore UltraDigital&Ultrarendu

I2S is capable of 32-bit, but rest depends on what is behind the I2S. Since it is unidirectional like S/PDIF and AES, there's no information coming back about the DAC behind it. So the choice depends on the DAC and how the I2S interface in question operates. But ESS chip in itself is 32-bit capable.

9 minutes ago, CheapSplurge said:

OK thanks. So lns15 goes good with rverything. 

Am I limited to what filter I can have when using optical max 192k upsample? 

I'd like a filter that brings smoothness and laid back presentation. 

Buffer speed important? 

I'll only be using pcm. 

LNS15 is good if you can do at least 352.8k, but not so much for lower rates. For 192k you should use NS9. For Chord, it would be optimal to feed it always 705.6/768k rate. You could try poly-sinc-short-mp and poly-sinc-ext2.

6 minutes ago, Ipoci said:

Any macOS Big Sur user with NAA?

I just upgrade my MacBookPro from Mojave to BigSur ... HQP Desktop 3.25.6 doesn't work anymore with NAA

I also tried HQP Desktop 4.0 just to double check and but no sound at all ...

Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 10.56.55 PM.png

Yes, for example Mac Mini M1 with Big Sur to a NAA. No problems.

Does the Mac see the NAA in first place? It is not unusual for IPv6 to fail on macOS, so you may get # errors shown on status bar and things may still work fine. HQPlayer log could tell what is going on.

Also check that you don't have unused network interfaces active, like WiFi if you are connecting to a NAA through wired.

1 hour ago, Miska said:

Which Linux are you using? You need either HQPlayer OS or Ubuntu/Debian with my custom kernel. In addition you must use Intel USB controller built to the motherboard.

Alternatively you can set DAC Bits to 16 and use suitable noise shaping like LNS15, NS9 or NS5 and then it works on any kernel or macOS.

@Miska I am using windows 10 with HQPlayer 4 desktop on an AMD based computer

17 minutes ago, wolft said:

Hello, does it make sense to wait for the i9-11900k and Z590 boards or is the Mac Mini M1 enough? Are there any significant changes to the HQPlayer expected with the I9-11900k?

Well, the 11900K is much more powerful than M1. The difference is what kind of filters you can run along with the modulators.

10 minutes ago, Ipoci said:

Yep. NAA is seen from HQPD 3.25.6 via IPv4 ... 

I did a try with Pcm upsampled to DSD, DSD updampled to DSD and DSD native too ... same result

HQPlayer.log 10.46 kB · 0 downloads

In the log I can just see the NAA being disconnected when playback is started. You may want to check what kind of error there is at the NAA side.

On 2/6/2021 at 8:16 AM, bibo01 said:

@MiskaI need some assistance for a friend of mine...

He uses HQPlayer in Windows and recently I updated the driver with the new version of the Merging driver (he has a Nadac).
For compatibility reasons he tried to put the old driver back, at that point HQPlayer stopped starting. That is, if it's launched HQPlayer gave no sign of life, as if it was not launched at all.
This happened with version 4.5.1 as well as the latest 4.9.2.
No trace in Task Manager, HQPlayer does not start.
Another Asio music player continues to work regularly, but HQPlayer does not.
Do you have any suggestions? Some missing library?

@MiskaAny idea about the above?

37 minutes ago, Miska said:

No, what I've tested with latest Hapi firmware and latest Merging driver things work. (on stock Windows 10 installation)

Thanks.

We are in the dark.

Any other player works with Merging driver. HQP doesn't even start even after a re-installation. 

Could it be a missing/changed library? Maybe a graphic library?!

Any help is welcomed.