IGNORED

HQ Player

On 5/4/2017 at 4:34 AM, Hazard said:

Maybe I am missing something, but I cannot clearly work out which options in 'Setting' and 'DSDIFF/DSF' boxes apply to PCM->DSD conversion, and which aply to DSD->DSD conversion.

Flexibility is a curse in a way... I've tried to group things... Things that apply to DSD sources (DSDIFF (.dff) and DSF (.dsf) files) are under the "DSDIFF/DSF Settings" dialog. "Settings" dialog is just about defaults for the main window and limits. The real beef was supposed to be in the main window. Until the "Auto" things were added which made it more confusing. Especially the "auto mode" that switches between PCM and SDM output modes. For that reason, 3.16.1 and newer disable the main window controls when "auto mode" is being used because otherwise it would become inconsistent. There's no way to represent both PCM and DSD output mode settings simultaneously in the main window right now. So when using "auto mode", the default values from Settings-dialog (Preferences on Mac) applies.

DSD rate conversions are done in a different way, so the rate conversion filter setting is irrelevant (as things stand today).

Matrix and speaker menu things are sort of separate. When "Direct SDM" is disabled, everything applies similarly to PCM and DSD. When "Direct SDM" is enabled, only speaker distance setting applies to DSD sources because that is bit-perfect anyway.

I need to think about a graph of the DSP data paths, which could clarify a bit.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

2 hours ago, westside said:

Hello,

With an i5 3570k what max setting could you advice to me in SDM mode.

I am on AudoLinux atm and the player doesn't work smooth (micro cut)

@Miska

The only way to know for sure is try.  That being said I would imagine you could convert to DSD128 using any of the -2 filters with that cpu.   My old i7-3770s can barely handle DSD512 with convolution, though DSD256 is no problem at all.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

I need to think about a graph of the DSP data paths, which could clarify a bit.

totally agree ,  Miska what will be nice is a simple notice about the 5 principal used of HQP  and what are the optimal settings for them.

1 native PCM

2 PCM / umpsampled PCM

3 PCM/  DSD

3 native DSD

4 DSD / upsampled DSD

5 DSD/  PCM

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker

Gents,

been a lurker for some time and now need a hint which I haven't found solutions on the forum.

I made a fresh install of HQPlayer on a 2011 i7 macmini (piloted by roonServer on the same machine) but I can't see the rates for DSD (in the settings panel) even if my Luxman DA-06 supports it. Am I doing something wrong? Is, as I think, HQP reading the capabilities of the DAC before presenting you the list of available rates?

Currently if I play DSF it output to 384kHz to DA-06. Switched the "Auto" thing (rightmost) on the frontend to no avail, it just seems to converto to DSD, resample to some 6MHz (???) then outputs to 384kHz (as limited in the PCM panel).

Any idea? I'm probably missing something very stupid but I'm hammering it since 2 weeks and no solution yet!

4 minutes ago, mooflotic said:

Gents,

been a lurker for some time and now need a hint which I haven't found solutions on the forum.

I made a fresh install of HQPlayer on a 2011 i7 macmini (piloted by roonServer on the same machine) but I can't see the rates for DSD (in the settings panel) even if my Luxman DA-06 supports it. Am I doing something wrong? Is, as I think, HQP reading the capabilities of the DAC before presenting you the list of available rates?

Currently if I play DSF it output to 384kHz to DA-06. Switched the "Auto" thing (rightmost) on the frontend to no avail, it just seems to converto to DSD, resample to some 6MHz (???) then outputs to 384kHz (as limited in the PCM panel).

Any idea? I'm probably missing something very stupid but I'm hammering it since 2 weeks and no solution yet!

Do you have DoP set for SDM Pack?  Looks like the Luxman requires it for connection to the Mac.

Robert

Software: Roon/HQplayer; System I: Roon Server/HQplayer DSD 512 Upsampling, Custom Windows 10 PC/AO, LPS-1 powered Startech USB card; LPS-1 powered ISO Regen; Holo Cyan DAC; VPI Scout 2 Turntable, Soundsmith Boheme, TTW Clamps and Carbon Matt; Cary SLP-98P Preamp; Van Alstine FET 600 Poweramp;  Aerial Acoustics 6T loudspeakers, SVS SB13 Ultra Subwoofers. System II: Custom PC with Signalyst Linux HQplayer NAA; LPS-1 powered Startech USB card; LPS-1 powered ISO Regen; IFI Micro iDSD Black Label; Primaluna Dialogue 2 with Tung Sol KT-150; Paradigm Studio 20 v3 monitors on Custom Mapleshade stands. Cables: Moon Audio, LUSH, Kimber Kable, Mapleshade, LARRY custom.

1 hour ago, mooflotic said:

Gents,

Is Luxman selected in devices drop down menu?

1 hour ago, mooflotic said:

Yes it is, above CoreAudio, below DA-06.

If it might help, I have the same bit rates in DSD settings in mac mini connected to dac and in macbook air which is not connected to any dac. Selecting different backend and devices makes no difference, rates are here.

6 hours ago, mooflotic said:

Gents,

Go to DSDIFF/DSF settings and turn off Direct SDM. Try that.

Then, try changing Modulator to something different on the main screen and see if the rates show up (not all modulators support all rates).

Also, try different oversampling method if the other two settings don't produce a result.

1 hour ago, AnotherSpin said:

If it might help, I have the same bit rates in DSD settings in mac mini connected to dac and in macbook air which is not connected to any dac. Selecting different backend and devices makes no difference, rates are here.

It helps, mine doesn't show dsd rates, only pcm. Any idea where the config/plist files are on a mac?

1 hour ago, pkane2001 said:

Go to DSDIFF/DSF settings and turn off Direct SDM. Try that.

Then, try changing Modulator to something different on the main screen and see if the rates show up (not all modulators support all rates).

Also, try different oversampling method if the other two settings don't produce a result.

Dsdiff was already off (6dB was on but obviously useless in this scenario).

tried all the modulators, again to no avail.

tried some oversampling, nothing again.

6 minutes ago, mooflotic said:

It helps, mine doesn't show dsd rates, only pcm. Any idea where the config/plist files are on a mac?

OK, you posted the screenshots at the same time I asked... It does show the rates there. So now I don't get what is the problem?

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

24 minutes ago, Solstice380 said:

Why do you have 32k x 512 set as the Max Rate.  Shouldn't that be 44.1 k or 48k?

Good catch.  Looks like the Luxman can handle max DSD128 (or 44.1 x 128).

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

2 hours ago, mooflotic said:

To give you an idea of my settings. Notice on the open rate list no DSD rates...

sorry for the huge images, I'm on an iPad Pro...

IMG_0001.PNG

IMG_0002.PNG

Everything is fine, you have DSD rates. I would try 44.1k x512. 

Also: Try to select something in PCM settings for filter and dither (poly-sinc and TPDF, for example) and increase PCM sample rate, even if SDM selected in the main window.

3 minutes ago, ted_b said:

Huh?  He is using a Mac.  There is no DSD512, and i wouldnt start there anyway.  Try simple 44kx64 or 44kx128.

It's DoP on a Mac, so DSD128 is the max if his DAC will accept it.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

26 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

DSD256 is the max on a Mac.That's what I upsample to all my content. While my DAC can accept DSD512, I can't feed it over DoP.... so, may need to use a PC instead, as much as I don't like the idea :)

DSD256 is the max for native DSD.  I believe the questioner's DAC utilizes DoP, so you halve that due to protocol overhead and get a max of DSD128.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

1 minute ago, Jud said:

DSD256 is the max for native DSD.  I believe the questioner's DAC utilizes DoP, so you halve that due to protocol overhead and get a max of DSD128.

Luxman's own spec say 44.1 x 128 is max it can handle.

Other components:

13 minutes ago, Jud said:

If you are talking about a specific DAC, then the highest rate can be limited by the DAC, no argument there. But the upper limit of CoreAudio on the Mac is DSD256, regardless of what the DAC supports.

1 minute ago, pkane2001 said:

DoP is the only method to output DSD on a Mac when using CoreAudio. CoreAudio doesn't support native DSD and most DAC makers don't write their own drivers for the Mac. CoreAudio is capable of DSD256 over PCM, otherwise HQP (and my DAC) are both lying to me ;)  

Interesting - I thought I was doing native.  Are you aware of any DAC at all that will do DSD512 with a Mac?