IGNORED

HQ Player

Hello Miska,

Can you please help me here:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/hq-player-20293/index264.html#post587749

I have been since running with just Roon and mrendu - no hiss.

THANKS

Mac Mini Late 2014 (16G/SSD) w Uptone JS-2 w OWC Thunderbay 4 Mini RAID (JS-2) / Roon

Aqua LinQ w EtherCon cable (Ghent) w Uptone EtherRegen w Uptone JS-2

Aqua Formula xHD w Ocellia RCA Interconnect & Shunyata Delta NR

Kora TB 200 Integrated Amplifier w Audio Art Power Cable

Magico V2 w Ocellia speaker cables w Shunyata Dark Field Elevator & JL Audio E-Sub e110 X 2

All equipment, including subwoofer on Modulum platforms (modulumaudio.com)

Hello Miska,

Can you please help me here:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/hq-player-20293/index264.html#post587749

I have been since running with just Roon and mrendu - no hiss.

Using Roon + microRendu is not the same thing unless you don't upsample in HQPlayer either. Some DACs end up in hissing mode when there's a buffer underrun (drop-out). So check that your per-core CPU loads don't exceed about 75% and that there's enough network bandwidth. RedBook from Roon to microRendu is 1.4 Mbps, DSD64 from HQPlayer to microRendu is 5.6 Mbps and 192/32 PCM is 12.3 Mbps.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Thanks Miska for always getting your player to always sound great!

HQ Player (#1) & Audrivana (#2) (wow! love the Apple w/music!!) .. these two software make my system "Amazing!", Purist USB- Benchmark DAC2 HGC (love it!), Purist Audio XLR , ATC SCM25A's (To Die For!) & Focal sub6 . Triode Power Cables with Uber Buss (Yes!) Also enjoy Audeze LCD3 w/"fat pipe cardas."

CUDA on OSX: Miska from post #6555

”Nvidia has dropped support for OS X / macOS, likely because there have not been new Macs with Nvidia GPUs in recent years. This means that 3.14 will also drop CUDA support on macOS“.

Roon client on iPad/MacBookPro

Roon Server & HQPlayer on Mac Mini 2.0 GHz i7 with JS-2

LPS-1 & ultraRendu → Lampizator Atlantic → Bent Audio TAP-X → Atma-sphere M60 → Zero autoformers → Harbeth Compact 7 ES-3

Update: CUDA toolkit for macOS has reappeared on the Nvidia site, so likely I can get it back in 3.14.1 build.

Probably typical thing happened and some recent Apple update broke things for them and delayed the release. As Apple likes to break things every now and then, it is better to not count on longevity of CUDA support on that platform. Unless Apple again decides to put Nvidia GPUs in new Macs (which again puts pressure on Nvidia to keep supporting it).

But generally, I'm not surprised if there are issues when using USB drive for playing to USB DAC.

I'm using Thunderbolt drive on my Mac Mini and before that I was using FW800 drive, both without issues. When playing from network (gigabit switched ethernet), the drive is 7200 rpm enterprise server HDD connected to 6 Gbps SATA. Server is Xeon E5 with 32 GB of RAM, so pretty much entire album ends up being serviced from the RAM cache.

Tested again, this time the music files are on a Raid10 Xeon workstation also 32GB RAM, rotating drives. Played over the network to the m93 Lenovo (i7, 16GB RAM) pulled by HQPlayer. The same bumps for flick of the wrist transition and a click between tracks for gapped tracks.

Some time ago having a USB drive with music files and a USB DAC was just about unplayable. With Win10, come to think of it, Win7 has improved so that the two USB systems can co-exist. It's only with HQPlayer (on Win10) that the small glitches occur. It's hard to shake these noises off once they register, so will wait for a newer HQPlayer to come along that may fix.

Thank you for the reply.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

It's described in the latest manual that comes with the program download. But I don't understand what the reference to multi bit means in this context, nor how it differs from the other 7th order options.

I did not find it in my v3.14 manual! At pg11 of the manual there is no reference. Nor a "AMSDM7" search found it.

Where is it? :)

I did not find it in my v3.14 manual! At pg11 of the manual there is no reference. Nor a "AMSDM7" search found it.

Strange. Sorry to mislead - I must have seen it in a version of the manual that came with one of the preceding beta versions. I'm away from home until Friday so can't quote it direct until then.

This is from Miska earlier in this thread:

The differences are more technical by nature, rather than aiming for any specific behavior. There is no clear way to describe the sonic differences. Main difference driving decision for a certain DACs is noise shaper order for 5th and 7th order modulators, 7th order modulator pushes more noise out of audio band and thus gives better SNR, but it also means that the noise outside of audio band increases on steeper slope and puts more demands on DAC's low-pass filter. So DACs using very simple low-pass filters are better sticking to 5th order modulators.

DSD* modulators are fixed configuration ones while ASDM* modulators are adaptive in various ways based on source signal. So the DSD* ones are simpler and the ASDM* ones are more advanced algorithms. But you can just listen and decide which way you prefer, there is no clear way to say how something sounds and what should be used, apart from the modulator order as discussed above. Now in the latest beta there's a new special beast called AMSDM7 tailored for >= DSD512 speeds (it is also allowed for DSD256, but then your mileage may vary depending on DAC - i need to do more measurements to see how it behaves in such cases).

I'll try to remember to update the manual too for next release to reflect the description above.

Sorry, it's not!

I am looking at a 3.14 manual in the Win version.

I just checked it on my test machine and I have correct version of the manual. Manual should say version 3.14 on the front page and the file should have date Sep 26th.

Did you remember to uninstall the old version of HQPlayer before installing 3.14?

I just checked it on my test machine and I have correct version of the manual. Manual should say version 3.14 on the front page and the file should have date Sep 26th.

Did you remember to uninstall the old version of HQPlayer before installing 3.14?

I did not uninstall because I had v3.13 installed before.

Anyhow, I uninstalled and reinstalled 3.14.

My manual says 3.14 on the cover (like before uninstall) and the file date is 25/05/2016 !!!

I did not uninstall because I had v3.13 installed before.

There's a note, both on beta download page and now on the main page that 3.13 should be uninstalled before installing 3.14. Otherwise there will be bunch of old cruft left in the installation folder.

Anyhow, I uninstalled and reinstalled 3.14.

My manual says 3.14 on the cover (like before uninstall) and the file date is 25/05/2016 !!!

If you uninstall after installing 3.14 it doesn't help anymore, because you are launching uninstaller of the new version, not the old one... That manual is from some early beta that didn't have the modulator yet.

Do following:

1) Uninstall the current version using uninstaller

2) Check for existence and delete "Signalyst" folders under both "\Program Files" and "\Program Files (x86)"

3) Install 3.14 again (MD5: 32c1de8c93b584af6122c147465eeb37)

Now you have a clean install...

What is the difference between NetworkAudioAdapter and NetworkAudioAdapter IPv6?

Network Audio Adapter can use either Internet Protocol (IP) version 4, the old system that everyone's network supports, to communicate with the HQPlayer computer, or Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6), the "newer" system that has been around for many years but not everyone's network supports yet.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.