IGNORED

HQ Player

Since the "listen" filter is extremely leaky filter it produces lot of images in ultrasonic band which significantly increases amount of intermodulation products in the audio band.

If you compare to HQPlayer, "measure" filter on QB-9 is closest to poly-sinc-short-mp. And "listen" filter is closer to either polynomial filter or minringFIR, although the "listen" filter is minimum phase too unlike the polynomial or minringFIR which are both linear phase. So Ayre's both filters modify phase response.

If you have QB-9 DSD, it is probably best to use it in DSD mode which would hopefully bypass Ayre's digital filters. Too bad it is limited to DSD64 though...

I think something similar is used in the Pono, and I like the sound of that too. So the IMD is apparently something that subjectively appeals to me (and others, if various reviews and owner reactions are anything to go by).

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Since the "listen" filter is extremely leaky filter it produces lot of images in ultrasonic band which significantly increases amount of intermodulation products in the audio band.

If you compare to HQPlayer, "measure" filter on QB-9 is closest to poly-sinc-short-mp. And "listen" filter is closer to either polynomial filter or minringFIR, although the "listen" filter is minimum phase too unlike the polynomial or minringFIR which are both linear phase. So Ayre's both filters modify phase response.

If you have QB-9 DSD, it is probably best to use it in DSD mode which would hopefully bypass Ayre's digital filters. Too bad it is limited to DSD64 though...

Thanks guys, really appreciate your input. I believe it would not be a wasted effort to find the best setup/settings for my gear (which is very well respected in the industry and not that uncommon) as far as HQP is concerned. I can see a lot of promise, and Miska, I was never trying to be antagonistic. And yes, I use the LISTEN setting.

By the way, before buying, I auditioned three QB-9's, one of which was my new QB9 DSD, in a fantastic setup with Wilson Alexias. A brand new QB9 DSD was significantly better than plain QB9's, while the published measurements are only available for the original QB9, which was replaced by QB9 192 and then by QB9 DSD.

Ayre QX-5 Twenty + Oppo 205, Mac mini + Audirvana, Ayre KX-R Twenty pre, Ayre MX-R monos, Monitor Audio PL300 floorstanders, Shunyata cables

Wow, extremely interesting. Thanks Miska.

Roon client on iPad/MacBookPro

Roon Server & HQPlayer on Mac Mini 2.0 GHz i7 with JS-2

LPS-1 & ultraRendu → Lampizator Atlantic → Bent Audio TAP-X → Atma-sphere M60 → Zero autoformers → Harbeth Compact 7 ES-3

Your reply prompted me to investigated the external drive. It has a LED light which flashes every now and again, this causes HQP to drop out. Light stops flashing, HQP restarts.

However when using Jriver, get the same flashing but Jriver continues to play happily?

Do you perhaps have the Play from Memory option turned in in JRiver? As I understand, HQP processes data "on the fly" so any disruption in the data stream could cause what you are hearing. There is a buffer setting in HQP. Have you tried adjusting that from Default?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Do you perhaps have the Play from Memory option turned in in JRiver? As I understand, HQP processes data "on the fly" so any disruption in the data stream could cause what you are hearing. There is a buffer setting in HQP. Have you tried adjusting that from Default?

tangentially related..................if i'm using hqplayer only as a renderer to a mRendu as NAA (no upsampling or dither), would there be any benefit to buffering? i'm wondering if this would affect streaming jitter or anything like that

hi miska,

is there a way to trial the linux embedded version of hqplayer? i'm convinced on sound quality but need to validate it with bubble control and minimserver as library. i use bubble/minimserver today with MPD mode and it is fast and reliable for a 60k+ music library (not something i would want to do with desktop). if i interpret things correctly, linux embedded is the only way to get remote control with something like bubble and to integrate my minimserver NAS?

i'd like to verify it all works well together as well as still sounding great installed on a 5i7 NUC that i have on 24/7 for my sagetv server. can i just install it, as with desktop, with the 30 minute limit i get with hqplayer desktop/linux?

note: at this point, i would purchase based on sound quality benefit with upsampling, dither and all filtering turned off! (anything beyond that is gravy)

I would not follow suite. Keep Roon processing and HQPlayer processing away from each other. It is nice that Roon now officially supports the QNAP and Synology NAS machines (many have moved to them even prior to the announcement) but they would be the last place I'd want HQPlayer, especially given what HQPlayer requires (to do DSD512 upsampling, for example). Roon on your NAS, HQPlayer on your workhorse, and the NAA on your minimalist quiet isolated DAC-connected device. A nice audio menage a trois. :)

I ill only do PCM up conversion, as my DAC most likely never will support DSD. (Not even sure if HQPlayer will benefit me for that limited use as well).

Maybe my TS-453-Pro https://www.qnap.com/i/en/product/model.php?II=149&event=2 is sufficient. 8Gb RAM.

In order to test this, is it possible to install HQPlayer on Qnap ?

Does a installer packadge exist ? Or will it be made, now that the Qnaps get more powerful with the TVS series ?

My Linux knowledge is very limited.

Juergen's Lintweaker github seems to have gone a bit quiet about any Amanero Linux work lately (last real update was Jussi's comment 20 days ago that RC3 doesn't work). Does anyone know any updates or where the ball is right now? For those wondering why I ask here, this affects many dacs' ability to do raw/direct/native DSD (like accepting DSD512 upsampling from HQP) in Linux.

Juergen's Lintweaker github seems to have gone a bit quiet about any Amanero Linux work lately (last real update was Jussi's comment 20 days ago that RC3 doesn't work). Does anyone know any updates or where the ball is right now? For those wondering why I ask here, this affects many dacs' ability to do raw/direct/native DSD (like accepting DSD512 upsampling from HQP) in Linux.

I spoke to Domenico of Amanero last week, before he went to London for work. I've been in touch with him every week for the last few months.

He wants to be sure to release a final working firmware, at the same time he is busy for the release of a new multi-channel card.

It was his intention to get in touch with Miska/Jussi for testing the firmware. I don't know if he did. Perhaps Jussi can pitch in...

Anyhow, the firmware itself is for sure near completion.

Yes do have play from memory on Jriver.

Have just swapped out the external drive and have put a self powered portable USB drive in.

The same files are playing fine now with HQP, so it must have something to do with the type of external drive.

I am taking a break from HQP and going back to A+. With almost 10 hours listen under the belt from Dream Theater to Schumann by Berliner Philarmoniker (both in 24/96 PCM), I don't know if it is bugs, the approach or incompatibility, but all I get is disjointed performance and a sharper sound like an edge-enhanced picture. A+ sounds analogue, spot on with timing, and the vocals feel real and convincing, all in all the equipment truly disappears. On the contrary, I am feeling like I am listening to some computer code with HQP, that is trying to impress me. Again, no idea what is this caused by, maybe I'm 'not holding it correctly'.

I'll come back to more experimenting when I get more time and energy.

Ayre QX-5 Twenty + Oppo 205, Mac mini + Audirvana, Ayre KX-R Twenty pre, Ayre MX-R monos, Monitor Audio PL300 floorstanders, Shunyata cables

After having played music for some time with HQP 3.14b5 on Server 2012 R2 in core mode with JPLAY, suddenly HQP crashes on me every time I either start it or when I try to play a track. I went back to GUI and re-installed 3.14b5: no change. I un-installed AO and Fidelizer (still in GUI): same problem. I uninstalled HQP and installed a previous version 3.133 and then it worked again. When I installed 3.14b5 again: same problem, it always crashes.

Any ideas?

audio system

Thank you. Yes i would prefer to stay fanless and just reuse as much as what I currently have as possible. I am trying to just do DSD256. My little i3 dual core almost does it so I think a 3770s or 3770k quad should handle DSD256 just fine. I think I will get the 3770K so I have the option to overclock though I have never done that before so I am afraid I am going to burn down my house!

I upgraded my I3 3220t dual core cpu to an I7 3770s last night and I am happy to say all my static issues upsampling to DSD 128 and 256 are totally gone. Previously, I had to pretty much max out my Dac driver buffer and latency settings to be able to do DSD 64 and 128. However, I had issues upsampling 24/192 files. With this new cpu, HQP can upsample any file type without issue. Also, the cpu runs pretty cool even in my fanless case. The cooling block on top of the cpu is barely warm. Needless to say I am very happy!

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

After having played music for some time with HQP 3.14b5 on Server 2012 R2 in core mode with JPLAY, suddenly HQP crashes on me every time I either start it or when I try to play a track. I went back to GUI and re-installed 3.14b5: no change. I un-installed AO and Fidelizer (still in GUI): same problem. I uninstalled HQP and installed a previous version 3.133 and then it worked again. When I installed 3.14b5 again: same problem, it always crashes.

Any ideas?

Maybe try deleting or temporarily renaming HQPlayer.xml in \Users\<username>\AppData\Local\HQPlayer\.

If you can't find the AppData directory, you'll need to have Windows show hidden files and folders.

I upgraded my I3 3220t dual core cpu to an I7 3770s last night and I am happy to say all my static issues upsampling to DSD 128 and 256 are totally gone. Previously, I had to pretty much max out my Dac driver buffer and latency settings to be able to do DSD 64 and 128. However, I had issues upsampling 24/192 files. With this new cpu, HQP can upsample any file type without issue. Also, the cpu runs pretty cool even in my fanless case. The cooling block on top of the cpu is barely warm. Needless to say I am very happy!

Hi Tommy

Do you use your dac connected to NAA or direct to pc via USB ?

I ask this because I had issues with upsampling from redbook to 24/192 with latest version of NAA but no issues with version you gave me

Can't try dsd as mine is not a dsd capable dac

My CPU is a very basic amd dual core with Max clock speed of 1600 mhz

Hi Tommy

Do you use your dac connected to NAA or direct to pc via USB ?

I ask this because I had issues with upsampling from redbook to 24/192 with latest version of NAA but no issues with version you gave me

Can't try dsd as mine is not a dsd capable dac

My CPU is a very basic amd dual core with Max clock speed of 1600 mhz

Right now the DAC is attached directly my Mutec 3+ via USB. The Mutec 3+ then outputs to my DAC. The issue with SPDIF output from the Digi+ on my Pi3 is that the max it can handle is DSD64. Also, the Mutec does not accept DSD over SPDIF. I am going to try another NAA, using the UP Board and its USB output.

Other components:

I think no digital (coaxial or optical) can send bitrate more then 24/192 or DOP 64

I think it's the bottle neck with the technology

I have not come across any component (dac or USB to spidif or i2s to spidif ) then can do more then 24/192

I think no digital (coaxial or optical) can send bitrate more then 24/192 or DOP 64

I think it's the bottle neck with the technology

I have not come across any component (dac or USB to spidif or i2s to spidif ) then can do more then 24/192

MSB Technologies supports 128x for all their digital inputs (including S/PDIF).

Wow

Thanks for pointing out that to me

I never even cared to look at any dac of MSB as its way beyond my reach

But still one should read about all things ones interested in just for information sake

Maybe try deleting or temporarily renaming HQPlayer.xml in \Users\<username>\AppData\Local\HQPlayer\.

If you can't find the AppData directory, you'll need to have Windows show hidden files and folders.

Thanks clipper, I tried that, and I even re-imaged my control PC to a previous version, but the problem remains: HQP crashes when used with JPLAY.

Guess I either have to go back to version 3.133, or skip JPLAY and use NAA.

audio system

How is that possible?? I need to research this more.

Other components:

hi there,

i have tested the trial version of hqplayer desktop on linux and am super impressed with the sound qualiy of hqplayer + microrendu (NAA mode) when only using hqplayer as a renderer, even with no upsampling or dither.

based on this sound quality, i'm willing to jump in and purchase a license but the only version that makes sense for me is the linux embedded version (which will work with my current minimserver + bubble controller) but this is unsupported.

i'm prepared to go ahead anyway but want to know if many of you are also running linux embedded version and if there are any things i should look out for.........or anyone to ask for advice if i have problems.

thanks

Hi Ankur

Are you from India ?

Well filter choice changes from person to person so definate answer for that.

For example when I listen to Bollywood music which is generally recorded with a very bright sound, the FIR filter works like a charm with guass1 noise filter

I am also fairly new to hqplayer so trying out all filters

Best results according to many is achieved by upsampling to dsd if you have a dsd capable dac

I am new to hqplayer. I found upsampling 44.1khz files upsampled to 176.4 khz or 192kz sound great. I have a query. what is the best filter for upsampling 44 .1khz files to 176.4 or 192khz and what will be the best dither setting ?

I would recommend "polysinc-shrt-mp" filter with "shaped" dither option

In general go with any of the poly-sinc filters. You could also try the closed loop filter if you are going from 44.1 KHz > 176.4 KHz or 48 KHz > 192 KHz i.e. clean 4x up-sample. Try them and see what sounds best in your setup.

For dither you can also try NS9 for 4x up-sampling to 176.4 KHz or 192 KHz

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110