IGNORED

Article: Searching For Good Sound at AXPONA Chicago 2014

I believe several rooms (like MBL Omnis on lower level and Scaena on main floor) were out of phase in some of their driver pairs. Stuff sounded ethereal when it shouldn't have. I've heard those Scaenas sound much better (RMAF Hyatt room). My $.02

I believe several rooms (like MBL Omnis on lower level and Scaena on main floor) were out of phase in some of their driver pairs. Stuff sounded ethereal when it shouldn't have. I've heard those Scaenas sound much better (RMAF Hyatt room). My $.02

The official Mbl room sounded really good, but the adjacent room that only used Mbl speakers had some serious issues.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Not sure if I'm allowed to comment as a manufacturer/exhibitor at the Axpona show - but everyone here seems very nice, so I'll take a shot! Background: I own both Snake River Audio (cable manufacturer) and Sonist Audio (speaker manufacturer). We were exhibiting up on the 12th floor in room 1238 and were debuting our little bookshelf speaker for $1895. We were using a Baetis music server through a Mytek for digital, but also had a turntable we'd flip back and forth from.

I greatly enjoy reading all of the comments and thoughts of the attendees at the shows, and hearing views "from the other side of the room." We've always had a "lean forward" listening approach to setting up our rooms, rather than forcing people to lean back in fear. I personally take great pride in working for hours and hours to get the room just right before we open the doors. We very regularly get comments on our rooms like "non-fatiguing" and "very relaxing".

Also, I often leave the air conditioning on, with the comment "You wouldn't bake yourself out at home, so why do it here?" Yes, it adds a small bit to the noise floor, but if someone wanted to do some hardcore listening, I'd certainly shut it off for them. Even with the door closed, people laughing and talking out in the hallway add much more than a little cool air flowing in.

One thing I've noticed is that the quality of sound in the room seems to directly correlate with the amount of effort put into setting the room up. Regardless of gear used, a major part of any listening environment is the room. Ignoring the room dynamics and hoping for your system to perform at it's best, is truly unrealistic expectations. I've heard phenomenal rooms with incredible sound from a modest system, while the room next door with an extra zero or two at the end of the price tags sounds horrendous. I'm sorry, but a couple of plastic plants do not a treatment make. However, I digress..

I want to thank everyone who did go to the show, and leaves comments here for us to read. Please know that your thoughts and suggestions aren't falling on deaf ears. At least not from those of us who care. Thank you.

I attended all three days as well, and although I cautioned others (on another forum thread) to beware of trying to evaluate product sonics at show conditions...we all do it. And yes, I fully agree with Chris (and yes he is my pseudo-boss :) ) that this show in particular had a bad combination of poor sonics often played way too loud (one presenter pointed out that the rooms were more square than other hotel shows and thus the damn midbass humps were even more prevalent).

But I did enjoy the show immensely. Why? Cuz it hit all of my goals: touch and feel some new devices I was interested in, catch up with several manufacturers/friends on next steps (Dan Wright, Paul McGowan, Wang Xuanqian, George Klissarov, etc) and re-kindle great friendships made at these forums (often even meeting a few face to face for the first time).

What about this idea: develop a show where the entire room setup needs to be less than $x (say $5k) or multiples ($5k on floor 29-30, $10k on floor 34, etc) so the dealers or mfg'ers are forced to "get real". There is nothing more pathetic than going into a suite of $300-500k worth of gear, hear the same audiophile cuts at 108db, overpowering the room something fierce, and walking (or running) away with the feeling that this is hedonism at its worst.

I will continue to attend these shows, but mainly for my aforementioned goals. If I hear a room that even portends greatness it is almost by accident.

Ted, did you get to listen to Paul's new DirectStream ?

rogerdn

Chris: Did you listen to the Cabasse setup in your photos? If so, what did you think?

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

jtwrace: That is a Woo Audio WA22.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Chris: Did you listen to the Cabasse setup in your photos? If so, what did you think?

I'd echo a couple of comments: In general the music was too loud. Mostly to drown out the other rooms I suppose. Couple of the rooms, like the Magico/Pass, simply had too much bass or too boomy.

An exception was the Cabasse. At least for a while they played music at a listenable level. I thought the sound was clean, coherent and musical with a broad sweet spot. The subwoofer seemed reasonably well integrated.

I'd echo a couple of comments: In general the music was too loud. Mostly to drown out the other rooms I suppose. Couple of the rooms, like the Magico/Pass, simply had too much bass or too boomy.

An exception was the Cabasse. At least for a while they played music at a listenable level. I thought the sound was clean, coherent and musical with a broad sweet spot. The subwoofer seemed reasonably well integrated.

Thanks for the input. Something about those Cabasse speakers.... I would love the opportunity to hear them, but thus far the opportunity has not presented itself.

Myself and an industry veteran visited the AIX Records / German Physiks room around 12 Noon Saturday and were so underwhelmed we couldn't believe it. For the price of that system ($400,000+) I should have been able to close my eyes and feel like I was in attendance at a concert. I don't doubt the recordings and the equipment are capable of great things, but I also don't doubt people with an extra $400,000+ would rather spend it elsewhere after that presentation.

P.S. I ran into someone in the elevator who loved the sound of the room :~)

Actually AIX is saying that room had $1 Million of audio equipment!

Check about 3 minutes in on this new podcast of "Home Theater Geeks" with Scott Wilkinson and Mark Waldrep of AIX Records:

Home Theater Geeks 204 | TWiT.TV

Actually AIX is saying that room had $1 Million of audio equipment!

Check about 3 minutes in on this new podcast of "Home Theater Geeks" with Scott Wilkinson and Mark Waldrep of AIX Records:

Home Theater Geeks 204 | TWiT.TV

Wow. Quite a fail. A million dollar system capable of turning anyone off of high end audio.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Chris, I'm sorry that you didn't get a chance to sit in the center of the room...that might have made difference for you and the industry veteran you mentioned. The feedback that I've received was predominantly positive. In fact, I was absolutely thrilled that John Hamm (the CEO of Pono) had time to come by the room on Saturday morning. He did sit in the center of the room as I played John Gorka, Dave Mason and a melancholy track featuring a very well know female artist. He was absolutely blown away and as we chatted outside following the presentation, he insisted on taking a copy of John Gorka with him to share with Neil.

The speakers were not my choice for the room...I mix and prefer direct radiators but I think most would agree with the person you quoted in the elevator. The room sounded amazing.

Can Chris ir anyone who attended comment on the Kef Blade sound?

I must admit a fetish for the Blade's but I am suspicious of how they match tube amps...

Gorgeously. If the amps are good they will work on the Blades. Everything you love about the Blades becomes better as you move into better amps, tube amps included.

David

Chris, I'm sorry that you didn't get a chance to sit in the center of the room...that might have made difference for you and the industry veteran you mentioned. The feedback that I've received was predominantly positive. In fact, I was absolutely thrilled that John Hamm (the CEO of Pono) had time to come by the room on Saturday morning. He did sit in the center of the room as I played John Gorka, Dave Mason and a melancholy track featuring a very well know female artist. He was absolutely blown away and as we chatted outside following the presentation, he insisted on taking a copy of John Gorka with him to share with Neil.

The speakers were not my choice for the room...I mix and prefer direct radiators but I think most would agree with the person you quoted in the elevator. The room sounded amazing.

Generous, gracious and gentlemanly reply to Mr. Connakers comments of your efforts at AXPONA. I will definately seek your products out and try some for demo purposes. Nice review in Absolute Sound by the way!

David

Gracious, generous and gentlemanly response to Mr. Connakers comments about your efforts at AXPONA. I will definately seek out and obtain some of your recordings in the near future. Also, congratulations on the article in Absolute Sound!

David

• 2 weeks later...
Very well said indeed!

Don't understand all this new digital stuff?

Oh, are you referring to the fact that NO ONE ever says - "gee, my system doesn't sound "digital enough" ?. I really prefer a more cold, sterile, grainy and overly bright presentation - yea, you know that "digital sound" - the sound with less than "organic harmonics" - yea, that's what I want!

Nope, nobody ever says that.

What analog guys want - is the way music was meant to be heard. The computer was never designed to transmit digital data representing an organic sound. Digital data simply provides a convenient "simulation of sound", the computer offers significant flexibility when re-arranging the playback selection for your "simulated sound".

If I'm wrong, then please let me know why all reviewers consistently comment about DACS they like by saying -" ....the most analog sounding Dac I have ever had in my system" - they never compliment a Dac by saying - "The most digital sounding dac, I've ever heard." That's why Analog guys don't get it, they aren't willing to settle for less. Why are you ?