IGNORED

Call for testers! Daphile

Hi all

I have a really peculiar issue. When I set PCM>DSD at DSD64, everything is fine. In fact great, I am incredibly impressed with the conversion SQ. BUT when I set PCM>DSD to DSD128 and play native DSD256 files, I get stuttering!! Back to PCM>DSD at DSD64 and DSD256 files play perfectly.

I know this sounds stupid. I mean, when I'm playing native DSD256 files the PCM>DSD conversion program is not being used! But illogical as it sounds, this is what happens. (Incidentally, the PCM>DSD128 plays PCM files just fine.)

My server is the Lampizator Komputer but I don't imagine that is relevant since it is altering the settings in Daphile that creates the issue.

Any ideas, any one? Cheers

Philip

I just tried downsampling DSD256 to DSD128 using my SMSL M8. It worked with no issues as I suspected. CPU Load (see info tab, g4400 Pentium cpu, system load) is 1.3. For a dual core CPU peak would be 2.0

The Transcode log file shows

Untitled.png

Are you using Native DSD or DoP in the audio settings? If you are using Native try DoP. I have also had issues with this setting depending on the DAC.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

I have just discovered the "Play From RAM" option in the bottom right hand of the main page. I think it improves the SQ significantly, but this could be expectation bias! Have other people tried this?

Also, the processing wait for a DSD file was about 90 secs whereas for a FLAC file it was over 5 mins. Is this variation to be expected?

Philip

Hello All

I was using daphile some months ago but had to stop using as my PC had conked off. Was using a raspberry as source

I did install the latest daphile yesterday and was happy to know now we can play from RAM and upsample as we can do on Hqplayer

I could manage to enable PLAY FROM RAM but somehow cannot find settings for PCM upsampling

All I could find is some settings in audio devices but it has no noise shaping option

So if possible please guide me where the settings are

Also my dac does not show what bitrate signal is from transport so anywhere I can confirm up sampling happening

Thanks in advance

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I noticed some strange noise, like RF static, converting the 48kHz rates (96kHz; 192 kHz) to DSD and streaming DSD in native mode.

Strangely it doesn't appear when I do the same with 44,1kHz group of rates, i.e. 88,2kHz; 176,4kHz, or streaming all rates in DSD DoP mode...

Since I'm not sure if it's Daphile or my DAC (Geek Pulse XFi 2V0), asking the testers and developer kindly to respond.

Alex

• 3 weeks later...

I'm looking at building a high quality fanless silent music server using daphile based on a mini itx mobo with m.2 ssd, 4tb of storage and capable of dsd 256 up sampling. Itx gives me flexibility re the inclusion of a pcie usb card.

What is the recommended CPU? I have tried an Intel g4400 which runs 50%.

Should I consider a dual core 4 thread i3 6100.?

Would an i5 or i7 add any value other than cost?

Why do windows music audiophiles insist on an i7?

Would a nuc with external USB drive be much of a compromise?

What about a second hand notebook as a dedicated server?

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all

I have just discovered the "Play From RAM" option in the bottom right hand of the main page. I think it improves the SQ significantly, but this could be expectation bias! Have other people tried this?

Also, the processing wait for a DSD file was about 90 secs whereas for a FLAC file it was over 5 mins. Is this variation to be expected?

Philip

Hi Philip ----- I also have a Lampizator Komputer - but with a Big 7 DAC -- but have not had much luck trying to upconvert to DSD.

I've read all the messages in this thread & made various adjustments/ tweaks over the past few weeks - I've also set it to play from RAM ( but realize this step needs to be re-activated whenever the power is toggled). But I can't seem to get it to play DSD without massive stuttering/ buffering -- even converting just to DSD64. ( my Big 7 is only capable of DSD 128 -- but I'd be happy just getting DSD64 to work -- not that I'm unhappy with the PCM sound quality)

I've checked PCM resampling steep filter -- set attenuation to -5 db ---Noise shaping to SDM-4--- it will play fine for about 5 minutes - but then starts buffering -- so I switch back to straight PCM

Are you having any difficulties playing DSD & what sample rate can you play at ?

thanks for any help or advice you can provide on the settings you are using.

Bart

Hi Philip ----- I also have a Lampizator Komputer - but with a Big 7 DAC -- but have not had much luck trying to upconvert to DSD.

I've read all the messages in this thread & made various adjustments/ tweaks over the past few weeks - I've also set it to play from RAM ( but realize this step needs to be re-activated whenever the power is toggled). But I can't seem to get it to play DSD without massive stuttering/ buffering -- even converting just to DSD64. ( my Big 7 is only capable of DSD 128 -- but I'd be happy just getting DSD64 to work -- not that I'm unhappy with the PCM sound quality)

I've checked PCM resampling steep filter -- set attenuation to -5 db ---Noise shaping to SDM-4--- it will play fine for about 5 minutes - but then starts buffering -- so I switch back to straight PCM

Are you having any difficulties playing DSD & what sample rate can you play at ?

thanks for any help or advice you can provide on the settings you are using.

Bart

Check the cpu usage (system load) in the info tab. This gives the sum of the cpu thread utilisation (eg. 4 threads @ 50% usage would be 2.0). This should have an Intel i5 cpu with 4 threads. More than 60% (?) and you will probably get some stuttering. Make sure you tick all the boxes in the settings -> power section and raise the cpu frequency to max. Finally check the attenuation in the audio devices advanced player settings.

Hi Bart

My Komputer/GG plays native DSD fine all the way to DSD256 so long as I set PCM>DSD64 but native DSD256 stutters when I set PCM>DSD128 (don't have a clue why!!).

It will convert PCM to DSD without stuttering on both PCM>DSD64 and PCM>DSD128, but I keep the setting at PCM>DSD64 for the reason described above.

My Audio Device Advance settings are:

PCM Resampling filter: Quality Very High, Phase Response Minimum Phase, Bandwidth Steep Filter Unchecked, Attenuation -3db, Track Transition Delays both 1000ms, Player buffering both at 2048MB, Buffer time 400ms, Period Count 10.

Hope this helps. Let me know how you get on.

Cheers

Philip

Thanks Philip & Triplefun -- I also have 16.07 ------- CPU usage is at 0.24 0.19 0.15 -- which I assume is okay.

I've revised my Audio Device Advanced settings to the ones you are using -- in most areas - mine were not even close to yours. I'll stick to DSD 64 rate for now & see how it handles it -------- Do you play from Ram or not & what Noise shaping settings do you use in the audio devices settings?

thanks again

Bart

I only tried playing from Ram yesterday & with the load times -- it's impossible to do any meaningful A/B -- I'm sure it can't hurt - but I don't think it's worth the trouble. I seem to be playing PCM to DSD at 64 now -- but I had to make some changes to my settings that differ from yours ( see attached) -- but at least it's working for now.

I'm a little nervous changing the CPU load settings -- the unit has a 3.6 Ghtz Xeon E3-1200 V3 4th gen -- but the CPU settings are set at 1.000 Ghtz -- likely to reduce overhead and heat -( I'm just guessing) - & I assume the lower the settings the better as long as it's not stuttering -- which seems to be under control for now - Hyperthreading is off an all the power management boxes are unchecked

thanks again settings.JPG

I i'm new in the forum. I want to use daphile on a netbook with touchscreen and i would use the web interface, to reach the goal i've downloaded the beta version to access via ssh and install necessary packages. Unfortunately apt and dpkg are missing. Have you ever done this before? is there a different way to obtain the same thing? i don't like jivelite of the local ui and i would prefer the original web interface. Thanks and sorry for my english

I i'm new in the forum. I want to use daphile on a netbook with touchscreen and i would use the web interface, to reach the goal i've downloaded the beta version to access via ssh and install necessary packages. Unfortunately apt and dpkg are missing. Have you ever done this before? is there a different way to obtain the same thing? i don't like jivelite of the local ui and i would prefer the original web interface. Thanks and sorry for my english

My-fault!! Daphile is gentoo based, all my toughts had no sense considering that. Thanks anyway

Check the cpu usage (system load) in the info tab. This gives the sum of the cpu thread utilisation (eg. 4 threads @ 50% usage would be 2.0). This should have an Intel i5 cpu with 4 threads. More than 60% (?) and you will probably get some stuttering. Make sure you tick all the boxes in the settings -> power section and raise the cpu frequency to max. Finally check the attenuation in the audio devices advanced player settings.

Hi Triplefun

How do you manage to raise the cpu frequency in Daphile settings? Or do you in your pc bios ?

I have stutters converting to DSD256 "on the fly", but cpu load remains low ..

Thanks, Alex

Hi,

Strangely, the CPU frequency tab doesn't display in Power section on my Daphile setup, that's why I asked you.. Maybe it's due to BIOS Power Management not being enabled on my PC. Can't check it now (run it headless with no graphic card installed). It's i5 CPU of older generation, converting to DSD256 online it stutters with 1.0 load, a 25% per core. Converting to DSD128 online and original files in DSD256 play just fine.