IGNORED

Call for testers! Daphile

Thank you. From your post it looks like DSD processing is going on in server not in player. However you can't say for sure since there's no visual evidence like choosing the option force to server in case PCM. There is no CPU load data in Daphile Info, you can judge on temperature though. Pity it's not documented in manual.

There is CPU load data. See the info screen. Shows average load for the last 1,5 and 15 minutes. The number shows the % sum of all cores. See Understanding Linux CPU Load - when should you be worried?

I tried the PCM to DSD conversion option last night. The system is a 7 year old Sony VAIO laptop feeding a Benchmark DAC2. Set to DSD64 (the Benchmark's max DSD rate) and the 5th order (safe) filter, RBCD files played back with a more natural, organic flow than I'm used to hearing. Engaging and colorful, but a bit too diffused sounding for my taste. This would be a good setting for overly harsh sounding RBCD files. I jumped to the 7th order filter and the sound maintained the same organic flow and added more precise instrument delineation and clean, extended treble energy. This is a more of a resolution microscope kind of sound but without hyped, edgy treble. Really impressive but a little too intense for me. The 5th order (fast) filter hits it just right to my ear. I'll leave it on this setting for a few weeks to find out if the PCM to DSD sound works for me long term. It's nice to have choices.

I used the CPU load data on the info screen to monitor the VAIO's single core CPU. Moving from native rate to PCM-DSD conversion increased the CPU load from around 0.4-0.5 to 0.7-0.8 and I experienced no issues with dropouts or stuttering. I would not have thought this old laptop could handle up-conversion, but it seems to be working just fine.

Russ

I tried the PCM to DSD conversion option last night. The system is a 7 year old Sony VAIO laptop feeding a Benchmark DAC2. Set to DSD64 (the Benchmark's max DSD rate) and the 5th order (safe) filter, RBCD files played back with a more natural, organic flow than I'm used to hearing. Engaging and colorful, but a bit too diffused sounding for my taste. This would be a good setting for overly harsh sounding RBCD files. I jumped to the 7th order filter and the sound maintained the same organic flow and added more precise instrument delineation and clean, extended treble energy. This is a more of a resolution microscope kind of sound but without hyped, edgy treble. Really impressive but a little too intense for me. The 5th order (fast) filter hits it just right to my ear. I'll leave it on this setting for a few weeks to find out if the PCM to DSD sound works for me long term. It's nice to have choices.

I used the CPU load data on the info screen to monitor the VAIO's single core CPU. Moving from native rate to PCM-DSD conversion increased the CPU load from around 0.4-0.5 to 0.7-0.8 and I experienced no issues with dropouts or stuttering. I would not have thought this old laptop could handle up-conversion, but it seems to be working just fine.

Russ

Except I do feel like missing some bass after up converting to DSD.

Russ

I think the problem with older cpus starts with trying to upsample to DSD256 and above...

• 3 weeks later...

HELP!!

Hi all

I have just bought a Lampizator Komputer and am using it with Daphile. I have loaded all my files (metatagged with Yate) into the internal hard drive, and am using iPeng9 with an iPad. All my files show up in the Music Folder but lots of them don't appear in the Albums or Artist folders. I have also tried Squeezer with a Samsung Galaxy tablet, with the same result.

Has anyone got any idea what is wrong please?

Cheers

Philip

Hi again!

False alarm!! My mistake- they are all there.

But I do have an issue- some of the files are split into two Albums, with most of the tracks showing on the first Album and the rest on the second, even though in Yate they all show as being in the one file.

This must be a metatagging issue. I thought I would try an alternative metatagging app. Preferably it would work on my MacBook Air, although I could manage on Android if necessary. Any recommendations please?

Philip

Hi again!

False alarm!! My mistake- they are all there.

But I do have an issue- some of the files are split into two Albums, with most of the tracks showing on the first Album and the rest on the second, even though in Yate they all show as being in the one file.

This must be a metatagging issue. I thought I would try an alternative metatagging app. Preferably it would work on my MacBook Air, although I could manage on Android if necessary. Any recommendations please?

Philip

I have discovered the problem, and i case it helps anyone else, I thought I would report back.

I found that most of the files that gave problems were files that I had previously applied conversion software to, either to convert them from FLAC to AIFF or from AIFF to DSD. When I went back to the original files, they loaded on Daphile with no metatagging problems. The rest of the problem files were CDs ripped using iTunes, although strangely most CDs ripped using iTunes were fine. I re-ripped the problem CDs using the CDRipper in Daphile (which is very very good) and everything was fine, although I usually had to add Cover Art using Yate.

I did at one point but removed it when I started using my Tidal subscription.

What's the issue?

How do I put it on. Is in plugins, I can see spotify is there but is provided by logitec and I dont have a subscription to them so have always kept away from them.

Thanks

Using ickStream and Logitec plugins together is the only way I am aware of.

You only have to register with Logitec, not subscribe (pay) to set it up and access Spotify and other applications.

Thanks Core32 I will give that a go tomorrow when my brain is fresh.

Using ickStream and Logitec plugins together is the only way I am aware of.

You only have to register with Logitec, not subscribe (pay) to set it up and access Spotify and other applications.

I did as you advised but spotify is only available on daphile if I have a subscription to spotify. I will have to do with spotify free on the notebook at the moment.

Thanks anyway

• 3 weeks later...
Core32 you seem to understand daphiles plugins so here goes if you dont mind.

Is there anyway to record the stream I am listening to with daphile. Like I would like to record bbc radio 3 concerts.

Thanks

Sorry. I did not see your question until now.

I have not tried to record any streams to this point.

Hi all

I have a really peculiar issue. When I set PCM>DSD at DSD64, everything is fine. In fact great, I am incredibly impressed with the conversion SQ. BUT when I set PCM>DSD to DSD128 and play native DSD256 files, I get stuttering!! Back to PCM>DSD at DSD64 and DSD256 files play perfectly.

I know this sounds stupid. I mean, when I'm playing native DSD256 files the PCM>DSD conversion program is not being used! But illogical as it sounds, this is what happens. (Incidentally, the PCM>DSD128 plays PCM files just fine.)

My server is the Lampizator Komputer but I don't imagine that is relevant since it is altering the settings in Daphile that creates the issue.

Any ideas, any one? Cheers

Philip

Hi all

I have a really peculiar issue. When I set PCM>DSD at DSD64, everything is fine. In fact great, I am incredibly impressed with the conversion SQ. BUT when I set PCM>DSD to DSD128 and play native DSD256 files, I get stuttering!! Back to PCM>DSD at DSD64 and DSD256 files play perfectly.

I know this sounds stupid. I mean, when I'm playing native DSD256 files the PCM>DSD conversion program is not being used! But illogical as it sounds, this is what happens. (Incidentally, the PCM>DSD128 plays PCM files just fine.)

My server is the Lampizator Komputer but I don't imagine that is relevant since it is altering the settings in Daphile that creates the issue.

Any ideas, any one? Cheers

Philip

Have you looked at the advanced player settings and increased the attenuation

Thanks for the suggestion Triplefun. I will try this at the weekend. But just out of interest, how could changing a PCM resampling filter setting affect the playing of a native DSD256 file? I just don't understand- not trying to be clever!

You would be surprised. I have used it to smooth out DSD playback for both my Gustard X20u and SMSL M8. I don't think it is PCM resampling but specific to DSD and the xcore USB Audio 2.0 driver (assuming this is what you are using). I've copied the settings for my SMSL M8 - set attenuation to -5db to get rid of 'stutter'.

Untitled 2.jpg

Untitled.jpg