IGNORED

Call for testers! Daphile

CHANGES:

• PCM-to-DSD conversion improved: noise-shaping filter and rate options. Thanks to "mansr" for his excellent work on SoX DSD support!
  • Minor web interface improvements (e.g. fullscreen webapp mode for mobiles)
  • Some audio driver and application updates
  • Many bug fixes and various small improvements

There is also an updated version of Daphile Installation Instructions available at Daphile web site.

Any feedback is warmly welcomed - please use the contact form on Daphile web site.

CHANGES:

• PCM-to-DSD conversion improved: noise-shaping filter and rate options. Thanks to "mansr" for his excellent work on SoX DSD support!

There is also an updated version of Daphile Installation Instructions available at Daphile web site.

Any feedback is warmly welcomed - please use the contact form on Daphile web site.

Well done guys!!! Welcome to the major league!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
CHANGES:

I installed the rt version on my HP 8440p notebook (i7 920, 4gb ram) and smsl m8 dac. After a lot of playing with settings I was able to play music upsampled to DSD128 using dop and noticed a sharper and deeper sound than that with win 10 pro and foobar.

I then spent the rest of the afternoon experimenting with my xmos gustard u12 and x20u. I could get dsd128 with dop on the u12 but no native and no dsd256 which I could get with foobar and a modified thesycon driver. I could not get the x20u to work without stuttering (even with clipping set to max). I found you had to ensure the CPU power freq settings were set to max (2.5 GHz). If anyone has the x20 working please send me your settings. By the way, up sampling to 340k was delicious. Shame no DSD!

Also please confirm if there would be any advantage trying the non rt kernel version. Note I switched the rt setting to off.

I installed the rt version on my HP 8440p notebook (i7 920, 4gb ram) and smsl m8 dac. After a lot of playing with settings I was able to play music upsampled to DSD128 using dop and noticed a sharper and deeper sound than that with win 10 pro and foobar.

I then spent the rest of the afternoon experimenting with my xmos gustard u12 and x20u. I could get dsd128 with dop on the u12 but no native and no dsd256 which I could get with foobar and a modified thesycon driver. I could not get the x20u to work without stuttering (even with clipping set to max). I found you had to ensure the CPU power freq settings were set to max (2.5 GHz). If anyone has the x20 working please send me your settings. By the way, up sampling to 340k was delicious. Shame no DSD!

Also please confirm if there would be any advantage trying the non rt kernel version. Note I switched the rt setting to off.

Actually it is advised to NOT use the rt kernel, unless you really need to. Try the normal kernel as well and compare between the two...

I tried to boot it from USB drive twice. On the setting page, RME 9632 showed with 'HW 1,0'. When playing, the music coming from the controlling laptop instead of the PCI interface.

Has some one successfully used Daphile with RME 9632 PCI interface?

Also, I selected installation target to another USB and used it to boot the server. The server booted to single-end mode without network accessibility any more.

Great server. It will be perfect with a more detailed manual.

Thx!

Hi,

Does anybody knows how the File Types configuration in advanced configuration works ?

It used to be more or less obvious before, but recently it has changed and i get lost.

By default almost all possibilities are enabled but then which one is taken into account ...?

Also, what is the field player for ?

Hereafter my conf for FLAC and MP3 ... for example.

Conf-FileTypes-daphile.jpg

Many thanks for any help.

Is there a possibility to use Daphile as a ROON compatible system? I've seen some discussion of using ROON with Squeezebox on the ROON site.

SteVe's V's

Speakers- Legacy Audio Vs & 2 Legacy LF Extreme Subwoofers, Amplifiers- 2 Coda 15.5 Amplifiers Biamped, Preamp- TRL Dude, DAC- Lampizator Golden Gate Legacy Audio WaveletPC Software-ROON, HQplayer, jPlay, Fidelizer, AudiophileOptimizer 2.10, jRiver, WSY2K12V2 Roon Server PC- , HqPlayer PC- Turntable- SOTA Sapphire, Sumiko FT3 Arm, Audioquest Cartridge, CODA Phono stage, Accessories- HAL Footers, PS Audio Powerbases, Aurios, HiFi Tuning Supreme Fuses, Power- PurePower+ 2000 & 3000, PS Audio: Powerbases, LAN Rover, Noise Harvester, Quintet, Ultimate Outlets HC, Welborne Labs & HdPlex LPSUs,

Cables- Clarus Crimson USB, Lampizator Silver Ghost USB, Clarus Crimson PC, Western Electric 10 gauge DIY Speaker Cables and Best-Tronics Belden 8402 Balanced Interconnects Equipment Racks- SolidSteel

Help! Since I updated to the latest release two days ago, Daphile will not connect to either of my USB2 DACs. I can't get any sound out of my Benchmark DAC2 or Behringer UMC202, both of which are 24/192 USB2. Daphile will connect and play through a Nuforce uDAC3 which is limited to 24/96 USB1.

Please let me know how I can roll the S/W back to the previous version that worked just fine. In the mean time I will reset my Benchmark to USB1 mode, which I haven't tried but should work like the uDAC3.

Russ

​I just discovered this option in Advanced Player Settings (only for PCM resampling) which I found very helpful when using Daphile in 2xPC setup (Player-Server) where the resource consuming operations are relayed to the more powerful Server machine with higher bandwidth etc.

However I couldn't find this option by doing PCM to DSD resampling. Is it not yet possible by design that we cannon force the Audio Processing to the Server when we convert PCM to DSD or would it also be there with the next Daphile updates?

Anyway thanks to the developers for this great breakthrough priceless!

Just connected a NAD C510 DAC to my Daphile streamer. Although the DAC saw my streamer (it showed the right sampling freq.), there was no sound. It turned out that you need to tick the boxes with mixer controls: pls tick NAD audio 2.0 output and also the next one NAD audio 2.0 output, 1. I hope this helps for others who search online for this issue. Enoy!

​I just discovered this option in Advanced Player Settings (only for PCM resampling) which I found very helpful when using Daphile in 2xPC setup (Player-Server) where the resource consuming operations are relayed to the more powerful Server machine with higher bandwidth etc.

However I couldn't find this option by doing PCM to DSD resampling. Is it not yet possible by design that we cannon force the Audio Processing to the Server when we convert PCM to DSD or would it also be there with the next Daphile updates?

Anyway thanks to the developers for this great breakthrough priceless!

I have been using one better computer as Daphile server, and other less powerful computer as player which is connecting to the DAC for a while.

I have had the server doing the PCM to DSD up sampling. I have a great result about that! I don't have buy a more powerful computer to do.

I am using the Celeron UN2957 as the server.

If I use it to do everything; the sound is not that good and hiccup too.

I have been using one better computer as Daphile server, and other less powerful computer as player which is connecting to the DAC for a while.

I have had the server doing the PCM to DSD up sampling. I have a great result about that!

If I get you right, using the x2PC configuration with Daphile you could set up the server to upsample PCM to DSD and send the DSD to player? Could you please inform which settings did you use for both: player and server?

On server I could resample the PCM only: in Advanced Player Settings I check "Audio Processing > Force to Media Server". When using upsample PCM to DSD I don't have this option in Advanced Player Settings to force audio processing to server, i.e. the upsampling to DSD - in player? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'd be grateful if you would point me to this.

If I get you right, using the x2PC configuration with Daphile you could set up the server to upsample PCM to DSD and send the DSD to player? Could you please inform which settings did you use for both: player and server?

On server I could resample the PCM only: in Advanced Player Settings I check "Audio Processing > Force to Media Server". When using upsample PCM to DSD I don't have this option in Advanced Player Settings to force audio processing to server, i.e. the upsampling to DSD - in player? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'd be grateful if you would point me to this.

I am using an old laptop which is no way to do the up sampling and play DSD at the same time before.

General: Media server: External(another Daphile as server)

Audio Devices: Convert PCM to DSD Rate: DSD128

Daphile Server( Celeron UN2957 mini computer):

Media server: internal

Audio Devices: Device: Disabled

After I setup as above, I can play up sampling without problem.

Please point me out if I am wrong.

I am using an old laptop which is no way to do the up sampling and play DSD at the same time before.

General: Media server: External(another Daphile as server)

Audio Devices: Convert PCM to DSD Rate: DSD128

Daphile Server( Celeron UN2957 mini computer):

Media server: internal

Audio Devices: Device: Disabled

After I setup as above, I can play up sampling without problem.

Please point me out if I am wrong.

I have forgotten to tell you that I am using the server address to control rather than the player address.

Also I have 3 other Picoreplayer using this server at the same time without any problem. The only problem is I cannot sync with all rooms if I am playing DSD and the others are playing PCM only. I guess the server is not powerful enough to handle DSD and PCM at the same time. If I sync all others and leave the one playing DSD alone at the same time is not a problem. Well if I really need to sync all of them, I can just configure all rooms are playing PCM when need.

I have forgotten to tell you that I am using the server address to control rather than the player address.

Also I have 3 other Picoreplayer using this server at the same time without any problem. The only problem is I cannot sync with all rooms if I am playing DSD and the others are playing PCM only. I guess the server is not powerful enough to handle DSD and PCM at the same time. If I sync all others and leave the one playing DSD alone at the same time is not a problem. Well if I really need to sync all of them, I can just configure all rooms are playing PCM when need.

Thank you. From your post it looks like DSD processing is going on in server not in player. However you can't say for sure since there's no visual evidence like choosing the option force to server in case PCM. There is no CPU load data in Daphile Info, you can judge on temperature though. Pity it's not documented in manual.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you. From your post it looks like DSD processing is going on in server not in player. However you can't say for sure since there's no visual evidence like choosing the option force to server in case PCM. There is no CPU load data in Daphile Info, you can judge on temperature though. Pity it's not documented in manual.

PCM to DSD conversion is always done on server side that's why there is no option for that ;-).