IGNORED

Audirvana and room correction/equilization

I started playing with the free two week demo of Dirac, despite having been put off by the shameless appropriation of the name of one of the world's greatest physicists.

Anyway, I have made a few measurements. Here are before and after correction screenshots from my primary listening position, using a somewhat reasonable USB mic.

I would prefer to do the room correction with an audirvana plug-in system, if that indeed is where it is headed. Anyone know any more about this than I do?

Screen Shot 2013-01-19 at 12.58.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2013-01-19 at 12.59.26 PM.png

I've only tried playback so far with iTunes and the Dirac room correction program. If there are audible differences, they are fairly subtle. The graph of the correction is somewhat reassuring, but I worry I could do more harm than good, and the software is quite pricey. I've also experienced some skipping during playback, which would be a deal-breaker for me.

So how bad is the room to begin with? Given that it is my living room, I am somewhat limited to how much mammary foam I can glue to the walls and ceiling.

It appears in Audio MIDI. You set it to play back through that, and then select your DAC or bridge or whatever from within the DIRAC software, so the signal path is player software --> Dirac --> Audio Out --> DAC --> etc. So the advantage is it does everything on the computer in the digital domain. I think it is limited in terms of output only by the limits of the DAC.

To my ears, minimally, but you know how that is.

How bad is the uncorrected graph?

The uncorrected graph doesn't look too bad to me for an in-room response. Could be why you don't hear much difference.

Antipodes DXe > MSB Analog DAC (Quad USB input) > Bent Audio AVC-1 > Border Patrol SE300B > Edgar-inspired front horns

It appears in Audio MIDI. You set it to play back through that, and then select your DAC or bridge or whatever from within the DIRAC software, so the signal path is player software --> Dirac --> Audio Out --> DAC --> etc. So the advantage is it does everything on the computer in the digital domain. I think it is limited in terms of output only by the limits of the DAC.

Thanks for that information, so the limitation of the sample rate after Audio out would still be the DAC per normal.

The technical information on the Dirac site limits the sample rate and bit depth to 96/24. For EUR470 it needs a little more resolution than that, and this feature is a major shortcoming (hope Dirac are watching this thread :)) however the Swedes think outside the box very well, if there is a way, they usually find it.

"The Dirac Live Room Correction Suite supports up to 8 channels and up to 24 bit resolution at 96 kHz sampling rate. The technology is unique in that it corrects not only the frequency response but also the all important impulse response. This is in contrast to the common minimum-phase room correction systems that by definition do not optimize the impulse response. Correcting the impulse response yields improvements in the stereo image, clarity and transient reproduction of the music. Read more about the technical aspects of Dirac Live.

So the stream is

Player software as LPCM<=96/24, set Audio device to Dirac --> Dirac (corrects Room response) --> Midi Audio Out --> DAC --> OK

If room correction is a plugin to the player software, that loop is inside the player software, so the loop moves in a different spot rather than above. would it make that much difference if it did, I guess the player software would have to make accommodations. Whereas the Dirac approach although not unique, doesn't require a plugin and player software programming. Unless it's easy to do so.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Thanks for that information, so the limitation of the sample rate after Audio out would still be the DAC per normal.

The technical information on the Dirac site limits the sample rate and bit depth to 96/24. For EUR470 ...

Sorry. Mine only goes to 96 KHz so I did not notice.

If it was EUR100 I would probably buy it. My wife informed me in a very irritated voice that I wasn't going to spend 500 on it. (We just spent $400 on a vacuum cleaner we don't need, but I digress). I haven't played with it extensively, but I have noticed some playback glitches or skips. Maybe my 8 processor mini could handle it better. It does seem to do distributive processing.)

Sorry. Mine only goes to 96 KHz so I did not notice.

If it was EUR100 I would probably buy it. My wife informed me in a very irritated voice that I wasn't going to spend 500 on it. (We just spent $400 on a vacuum cleaner we don't need, but I digress). I haven't played with it extensively, but I have noticed some playback glitches or skips. Maybe my 8 processor mini could handle it better. It does seem to do distributive processing.)

How does the vacuum cleaner sound?

;)

MacPro Xeon/Audirvana-ITunes/USB/W4S DAC2 SE/ADAM Delta

Euro487 is only the intro price...normal price is 700euros. Plus you need a mic and they suggest one for another 110euros.

The Dspeaker AM 2.0 is a better deal...

Apples & oranges...

EAC -> FLAC -> Oyen Digital miniPro 2TB -> USB -> Lenovo ThinkPad X200 WIN XP -> Dirac Live Room Correction Suite -> AlbumPlayer -> Audioquest USB cable -> Hegel H100 DAC & amplifier -> 2.5mm copper -> AVI Trio loudspeakers

• 3 months later...

I have been using this software for a couple of years now.

First, the effect depends upon the room in which it is used, i e the more "difficult" the room, the more pronounced the effect. However, of all audio tweaks I have tried during the years, this is overwhelming in it´s effect compared to most other tweaks. Dirac make a huge difference compared to the more subtle changes resulting from the more "ordinary tweaks".

But, you will not be able to utilize the full potential of the software if you do not get an accurate measurement. Therefore, a calibrated microphone is a must, unless the microphone used are not one of the few very transparent and very expensive microphones.

Regarding the price of the software, if it is expensive or not, I would say price is something very relative. But as far as it has to do with value it has to be compared to other investments in audio equipment. As many audiophiles don´t hesitate to put hundreds of dollars into DAC:S, computers etc.. I would say, compared to most other investments, as long as the hardware are of decent quality, in most cases I think Dirac is one of the most sound improving investment possible.

To my ears, minimally, but you know how that is.

I read mixed reviews of room correction software/devices. Some love them, others, like Pierre Sprey (Omega Mikro/Mapleshade) and Barry Diament do not like them. I had been interested in trying something for myself, but I think this may be put on permanent back burner status.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Anyone try the IK Multimedia ARC System 2 yet?

From the specs page, it appears to support 44.1 kHz to 192 kHz.

I know it has been mentioned by someone in another thread before. Definitely more affordable than the Dirac.

Intel NUC NUC8i7BEH Roon Server running Audio Linux in RAM -> Sonore UltraRendu (Roon Endpoint) -> Uptone ISO Regen -> Singxer SU-1 KTE -> Holo Audio Spring Level 3 DAC -> Nord One UP Monoblocks -> Spendor LS3/5as | Music controlled via iPad (Power Conditioning: Audience adeptResponse aR12).  Twitter: @hirezaudio

Anyone try the IK Multimedia ARC System 2 yet?

From the specs page, it appears to support 44.1 kHz to 192 kHz.

I know it has been mentioned by someone in another thread before. Definitely more affordable than the Dirac.

"Definitely more affordable than the Dirac" How do you know?