IGNORED

Great Jazz Piano Artists - Their “Must Have” Recordings

Hope you enjoy it, as I have.

Wife and I were invited to friend's for dinner, a pretty serious wine collector who pulled out a half dozen great wines for dinner: Caymus Special Select, Vigna al Sorbo Chinati, a killer Brunello and Kathryn Kennedy Cab...all from magnums with a decade of age in his custom cellar...so bringing wine is a little silly. (I buy relatively inexpensive wine $20-30 that deliver as well as $40-60 labels. And the two bottles of 2009 Langoureau St Aubin En Remilly I did bring disappeared, tiny, passionate producer from vineyards yards from the fabled Montrachet that tastes as good as any $100 Premier Cru Puligny Montrachet, @$30).

So, my friend doesn't know music, so made a gift of PO3, BE Live at Vanguard, HH Maiden Voyage, Bill Evans + Jim Hall, Wes at the Half Note...some of the Grand Crus of the jazz world.

Another fun one, Fred Hersch and Bill Frisell on Songs We Know. Seek out guitar stuff...but there are several Fred Hersch discs that are very good.

All the titles you refer to are already in my library. The Frisells are different. And I need to discover Fred Hersch. Not that I do not have enough music to listen to. Rather, there is never enough music to listen to.

OP, excuse my brief excursion into OT land. I tend to make it easy on myself. I just order 4 cases of wine from Dr. Frank of the Fingerlakes tradition having enjoyed the consistency of his Dry Reisling/Gewürztraminer, Reserve/Rkatsiteli/and one other or a combination. I can only drink white because I suffer intolerable headaches drinking certain reds, which I have given up. In any case (pun alert), I find your formula with price and what to accompany after pouring a glass is a simpatico activity.

Again thank you for providing entertainment, anecdotes and wine recommendations which compliment a nicely chilled BE/HH/Hall and so many vintage players.

Salute,

Richard

Richard,

Only Rieslings I know are the Austrian and Alsatian ones...was in Riquewihr for a few days this summer on a family trip. Very serious about their Rieslings in that part of the planet!

And stayed in Burgundy for a few days at great white producer Olivier Leflaive's place...see you live in NY and you (unlike me) can get wines by young maker Patrick Piuze whose Chablis are just fantastic, try anyone!

Another pianist that I enjoy is Alan Broadbent, Better Days or Pacific Standard Time.

Tone with Soul

Richard,

Only Rieslings I know are the Austrian and Alsatian ones...was in Riquewihr for a few days this summer on a family trip. Very serious about their Rieslings in that part of the planet!

And stayed in Burgundy for a few days at great white producer Olivier Leflaive's place...see you live in NY and you (unlike me) can get wines by young maker Patrick Piuze whose Chablis are just fantastic, try anyone!

Another pianist that I enjoy is Alan Broadbent, Better Days or Pacific Standard Time.

Who is also an excellent arranger and conductor. Just listened to his arrangements of Marian McPartland's Silent Pool, Hybrid SACD M.ch/Stereo. Her compositions, his arrangement and conducting the strings. The work is entertaining but nothing special. Wanted some of her work in my collection as she is described as the first lady of jazz piano who I have been hearing on and off for decades.

Thank you for all your recommendations. Gives me something to do when I am not listening to music ;>}

Richard

Can do both at same time, wine and jazz work for me.

Didn't know that Alan B arranged music, but his playing is very lyrical...so not surprised. It's what I play when non-jazzers come by for a glass of wine...pretty, very well played, complexity without serious outside stuff going on.

Then there is Cyrus Chestnut...his Revelation is a great performance!

Tone with Soul

Now that I have said my peace, let me start off with my “Must Have Recording”. I first heard the recording in 1976 and it never fails to move me. It altered the way I not only listened to jazz and but more importantly how I related to it.

Keith Jarrett’s The Koln Concert

Please join the thread.

Great recommendation, the HDTracks download of this concert is excellent. Thanks for starting this thread Alex, I have picked up some great music as a result.

2012 MBP (OSX 10.11 and Amarra Symphony w/IRC)-> Revelation Dual Conduit USB -> Berkeley Alpha USB -> Verastarr Silver Signature AES -> Devialet D250-> Siltech 550L -> KEF 104/2 (Steve Nugent Custom).

Power conditioning Audience Adept AR2p -> Verastarr Grand Illusion, Siltech Explorer 270p and Crystal Cable Standard Diamond

Analog: VPI Classic 3, Sumiko Pearwood Celebration ii, Siltech 770i RCA

Richard,

Only Rieslings I know are the Austrian and Alsatian ...

Guys I know we are getting seriously OT but if you haven't had a good German Riesling yet you've missed something. Austrians do some good stuff, Alsace has been resting on their laurels since the 1980s, but good German Rieslings from Rheingau, Nahe or Mosel can be and should be counted among the worlds absolute top whites at still rather reasonable prices.

As a historic reference, at 19th century auctions in the UK, German Riesling (called Hock, short for Hochheim) was more expensive than a Chateau Lafite.

Great recommendation, the HDTracks download of this concert is excellent. Thanks for starting this thread Alex, I have picked up some great music as a result.

My pleasure, Todd... and thanks for your contribution

This in 192 khz is exceptional

Sleeper.jpg

Alex

Always on the learning curve...

MBPro i5 > Audioquest Coffee USB > Emotive Audio Customized Valve Preamp > Emotive Audio Custom E-Linear 6L6GA Amp > Modified Custom Quad57s (Wayne Piquet)

Moving into yesterday... give a listen to Tempus Fugit & Celia

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3877[/ATTACH]

I'm gonna take a break to listen to all the wonderful albums you've given me... Many thanks... My listening cup runneth over... :)

Alex

MBPro i5 > Audioquest Coffee USB > Emotive Audio Customized Valve Preamp > Emotive Audio Custom E-Linear 6L6GA Amp > Modified Custom Quad57s (Wayne Piquet)
Guys I know we are getting seriously OT but if you haven't had a good German Riesling yet you've missed something. Austrians do some good stuff, Alsace has been resting on their laurels since the 1980s, but good German Rieslings from Rheingau, Nahe or Mosel can be and should be counted among the worlds absolute top whites at still rather reasonable prices.

As a historic reference, at 19th century auctions in the UK, German Riesling (called Hock, short for Hochheim) was more expensive than a Chateau Lafite.

One last OT reference to Riesling, which I am drinking tonight with Evans June 1980, Corea and Burton, Barron and Locke: As I am part Austrian (on my father's side), I shall seek out some of your recommendations Musicophile and while expanding my library of music, I'll redirect some currency to German Rieslings. Thank you for cue.

Bill Evans Turn Out The Stars.jpg

Chick Corea & Gary Burton Hot House.jpg

Kenny Barron & Joe Locke But Beautiful.jpg

Enjoying the music and the Riesling,

Richard

Never been able to figure out which German rieslings to try..ones I have have bought in states have been too sweet for food...English used to drink D'Yquem with dinner, not this cowboy.

Though, prior to staying in Alsace this summer, spent two nights in the southern black forest and did have some very tasty rieslings with dinner, very local recommendations from the lovely inn we stayed, Hotel Adler.

Austrian-Wachau and Alsatian wines have labels that I can figure out and are for the most part bone dry. OK...I quit OT posts, too.

Need to hear "Sleeper", have a discount coupon for HD Tracks...thanks 27Globes.

Tone with Soul

Never been able to figure out which German rieslings to try..ones I have have bought in states have been too sweet for food...English used to drink D'Yquem with dinner, not this cowboy.

Though, prior to staying in Alsace this summer, spent two nights in the southern black forest and did have some very tasty rieslings with dinner, very local recommendations from the lovely inn we stayed, Hotel Adler.

Austrian-Wachau and Alsatian wines have labels that I can figure out and are for the most part bone dry. OK...I quit OT posts, too.

Need to hear "Sleeper", have a discount coupon for HD Tracks...thanks 27Globes.

Have Sleeper in my library, but the redbook edition, which is more than worth the price of admission. Have not heard the DL. Let us know what you discern if you should acquire the DL edition.

Best,

Richard

Have Sleeper in my library, but the redbook edition, which is more than worth the price of admission. Have not heard the DL. Let us know what you discern if you should acquire the DL edition.

Best,

Richard

I definitely will, Richard... if I can get a hold of a RB version. I downloaded 192khz version from HDTracks. In truth, I have been wanting one of Jarrett's albums in that rez and this was a perfect excuse especially with Garbarek joining him. Unfortunately, which I would love to, have had the opportunity or budget to compare the same recording in the variety of recorded or remastered forms that may be available. I've been relying on posts and members like yourself that have shared their listening experiences. It's extremely helpful to the rest of us. I say this with the exclusion of vinyl and/oror original master tapes which I heard from Steve Hoffman's collection - which to me are very distinct in their listening experience not only in sound, but texture and feel. Sometimes, I find myself doing a internet search to glean which is the best recorded format of an album... and then decide if I can pull it off or not :)

Alex

I definitely will, Richard... if I can get a hold of a RB version. I downloaded 192khz version from HDTracks. In truth, I have been wanting one of Jarrett's albums in that rez and this was a perfect excuse especially with Garbarek joining him. Unfortunately, which I would love to, have had the opportunity or budget to compare the same recording in the variety of recorded or remastered forms that may be available. I've been relying on posts and members like yourself that have shared their listening experiences. It's extremely helpful to the rest of us. I say this with the exclusion of vinyl and/oror original master tapes which I heard from Steve Hoffman's collection - which to me are very distinct in their listening experience not only in sound, but texture and feel. Sometimes, I find myself doing a internet search to glean which is the best recorded format of an album... and then decide if I can pull it off or not :)

With no intention to discourage a DL from HDtracks.com, in my experience, too many of their DLs in 192/24 resolution or other resolutions as well, some of which are excellent as with Waltz For Debby in 192/24, the other non-DL editions are its equal and unfortunately too often its better. I know this is highly subjective and equally system dependent and anything else in the mix (pun alert). Even among the SHM-SACD/SACD/Hybrid SACD/K2HD 100/24 there are discernible differences. I sometimes scold myself (and quickly forgive myself) for purchasing the same album in different editions and then after a comparison settle on one that to my ears is good enough (the best one) to be my go-to. Over time, despite the reviews of DLs (not all) I find I already have that go-to edition and the DL approximates and rarely if ever betters what I already have. Again highly individual in discernment.

You are correct to point out that there is no vinyl in my collection (recent) so I am totally ignorant of the benefits in SQ that I have intentionally ignored by decision not to return to vinyl. Many times, I click on a disc, sit back and I am back at the Village Vanguard or Birdland or... as close to the venue as one can get through cables. The waiters at Birdland made so much ambient noise during the recording of John Pizzarelli's Live At Birdland, TelArc Hybrid SACD I thought something in my system had broken and a guest snapped her head in my direction wondering the same.

Oh well, the nuances can be myriad to make our experiences memorable both from the past into the present..Pardon my OT references. But a good performance may get me pardoned (or not).

Enjoying the music,

Richard

John Pizzarelli Live At Birdland.jpg

Yes, I have heard that exact same sentiment/opinion form others regarding DLs from HDtracks. Even those that have actually complained to them. So, I am hesitant especially looking at prices that are 3 or even 4 times the cost of RB - which mean I could have purchase another 2 or 3 used RB albums on Amazons. I think one of the wonders that a good DAC offer today is how well they make RB recordings sound It probably is me or my system, but I recently purchased Bud Powell's Jazz Giants in 2001 remastered format. But, to my ears, something was overly digital in comparison to the original Verve recording. On certain sought after CDs, I think you have to wary of third party rip-offs.

Alex

Yes, I have heard that exact same sentiment/opinion form others regarding DLs from HDtracks. Even those that have actually complained to them. So, I am hesitant especially looking at prices that are 3 or even 4 times the cost of RB - which mean I could have purchase another 2 or 3 used RB albums on Amazons. I think one of the wonders that a good DAC offer today is how well they make RB recordings sound It probably is me or my system, but I recently purchased Bud Powell's Jazz Giants in 2001 remastered format. But, to my ears, something was overly digital in comparison to the original Verve recording. On certain sought after CDs, I think you have to wary of third party rip-offs.

Quite rightly. That possibility is in the mix. And the advantages being one of CA's members/subscribers/visitors is to benefit from our shared knowledge of what is out there not only as a composition worthy to own but its assets as a production compared to much of what is also available that tends to disappoint us for a myriad of reasons none of them founded in values of a Barry Diament of Soundkeeper Recordings and so many others of his ilk who actually live their values by the quality of what they deliver to us. I am very grateful for Barry and the others we can rely upon. The art in recording music has a value in the equation that influences our enjoyment of what is being created. As I observe, music rules and the equipment seduces (including the production).

Best,

Richard

Just in passing,

Something for You: Eliane Elias Sings & Plays Bill Evans

Eliane Elias Something for You- Eliane Elias Sings & Plays Bill Evans.jpg

Ahmad Jamal: The Complete Ahmad Jamal Trio Argo Sessions 9 Disc redbook Box Set. XLD conversion to AIFF. Disc 9. Must be heard. Extraordinary technique and musicality. In the mode, mood, magic as Alex intended this thread to reflect. I'll bet a ham sandwich on this one.

No matter how many times I play this discs, it is like hearing them for the first time accompanied by a "wow". His spirit shines through with a great supporting cast.

Enjoying the music,

Richard

Ahmad Jamal The Complete Argo Sessions.jpg

I've been tempted by Sleeper but haven't purchased yet as my desert island disc for all time is Jarrett's album entitled "Belonging" played with his group of the time, J. Garbarek, P Danielsson and J. Christensen....magic, pure inspired magic....a lessor but still significant piece is Arbour Zena with the same team and an orchestra.

wdw

I've been tempted by Sleeper but haven't purchased yet as my desert island disc for all time is Jarrett's album entitled "Belonging" played with his group of the time, J. Garbarek, P Danielsson and J. Christensen....magic, pure inspired magic....a lessor but still significant piece is Arbour Zena with the same team and an orchestra.

wdw

I don't know if MOG is available to you in Vancouver... but it would be a great way to see if the two albums present a sufficient interest in their differences for you. It did for me. I'm a major devotee of Jarrett's so even if there are 2 or 3 tracks on an album that intrigue me, I will go for it.

Alex

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Well if nobody else is taking Bill, I'll sacrifice myself :-)

Just listening to this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3632[/ATTACH]

After having participated to probably the greatest Jazz album of all times, Kind of Blue, he came up with this in 1959. Some people have called this album one of the most influential game changers for the Piano Trio. And yet the guy looks like a bored accountant on the picture. What a great album. Look out for the XRCD if you can.

With Bill, it's hard to pick out single records, as pretty much all is good to great. The obvious Waltz for Debby has already been mentioned earlier, so let me suggest some of my personal favorites:

The Bill Evans Album from 1971:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3633[/ATTACH]

Some tracks using an e-piano, which I usually don't like, but this album has so much energy that I don't mind the least.

Interplay (1962)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3634[/ATTACH]

Also available as XRCD.

And finally, already discussed on a separate thread:

Consecration Part 2, an album collection with his final live recordings before his drug abuse took him away.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f15-music-general/how-get-hold-bill-evans-consecration-lives-part-2-a-14424/

This incidentally is the thread then that started the idea for this Great Jazz pianist thread.

If you are interested in some revealing, albeit sad reading, I recommend this book:

The Big Love... About and where to Buy | The Big Love - Life and Death with Bill Evans

It is written by Laurie Verchomin, who inspired song "Laurie", and describes the time when above mentioned box was recorded.

Totally agree with you!

Bill Evans forever :-)

A buddy of mine who is a composer and partner in a small boutique music company knew that I was attempting discover or uncover - as you will - exceptional jazz pianists who were exploring their own voices. I had never heard of him before... Giovanni Mirabassi... he's Italian born living in Paris. His site lets you listen to a full track of each album... but doesn't give you access to purchase that I could find. I emailed him to find out. Amazon has several of them being sold by third parties at highly inflated prices... or seem inflated to me. Let me know if any of you find resources... Hopefully, he will interest you and add to the pool of "current and upcoming"

When you click on an album a full track from it plays..

Giovanni Mirabassi

Just got my first Mirabassi album, the 2000 Architectures.

Only one word: amazing!!!!!

Best,

Richard

Just in passing,

Something for You: Eliane Elias Sings & Plays Bill Evans

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3899[/ATTACH]

Excellent album Richard!

I get a kick out of this video from Kenrick Audio in Tokyo demo'ing Rey Audio studio monitors to a cut off this very album.

[video=youtube;y-JfHjn9LC4]