IGNORED

Great Jazz Piano Artists - Their “Must Have” Recordings

What started out in a prior thread as an inquiry for Bill Evan’s Consecration Live Part2 Box Set at a sane price – and all the why’s and wherefore’s that such a jazz momentous recording was not more easily accessible, etc., etc. – segwayed into a far more interesting conversation worth sharing – the great appreciation and personal resonance each of us had with certain great jazz piano artists’ recordings. Those that we continually come back to over and over again regardless of how extensive or varied our collections had become. There was something with which we identified, perhaps; something that was inimitably personal and intimate - always endlessly fulfilling in the journey they offered. And no matter how often one listened, it was never quite the same – there was always something different, something fresh and new. What marks them for us is that they are artists and recordings that have staid with us; that have had an imbiding impact on us.

Two Requested Guidelines, If I May:. Let’s not turn this thread into a list of great jazz pianist – we can do that with a Google search - but rather let's have this be a sharing of those specific recordings/sessions that these great artists have made which always call to us. Secondly, this thread should not become a dedication to the artists of the past, but also include those that are current, those who belong to the next generation.

Now that I have said my peace, let me start off with my “Must Have Recording”. I first heard the recording in 1976 and it never fails to move me. It altered the way I not only listened to jazz and but more importantly how I related to it.

Keith Jarrett’s The Koln Concert

Please join the thread.

Alex

Always on the learning curve...

MBPro i5 > Audioquest Coffee USB > Emotive Audio Customized Valve Preamp > Emotive Audio Custom E-Linear 6L6GA Amp > Modified Custom Quad57s (Wayne Piquet)
What started out in a prior thread as an inquiry for Bill Evan’s Consecration Live Part2 Box Set at a sane price – and all the why’s and wherefore’s that such a jazz momentous recording was not more easily accessible, etc., etc. – segwayed into a far more interesting conversation worth sharing – the great appreciation and personal resonance each of us had with certain great jazz piano artists’ recordings. Those that we continually come back to over and over again regardless of how extensive or varied our collections had become. There was something with which we identified, perhaps; something that was inimitably personal and intimate - always endlessly fulfilling in the journey they offered. And no matter how often one listened, it was never quite the same – there was always something different, something fresh and new. What marks them for us is that they are artists and recordings that have staid with us; that have had an imbiding impact on us.

Two Requested Guidelines, If I May:. Let’s not turn this thread into a list of great jazz pianist – we can do that with a Google search - but rather let's have this be a sharing of those specific recordings/sessions that these great artists have made which always call to us. Secondly, this thread should not become a dedication to the artists of the past, but also include those that are current, those who belong to the next generation.

Now that I have said my peace, let me start off with my “Must Have Recording”. I first heard the recording in 1976 and it never fails to move me. It altered the way I not only listened to jazz and but more importantly how I related to it.

Keith Jarrett’s The Koln Concert

Please join the thread.

I hope I will not have to keep referring to the OP of this thrilling thread as 27Globes much longer. In any case, marvelous Prologue to a thread I am thrilled to participate in. Your introduction is worth the price of admission. So as to not diminish the poignancy of The Koln Concert, I will first refer to Bill Evans' What's New with Jeremy Steig which includes my favorite theme, The Love Theme from Spartacus with a close second Abraham's Theme from Chariots of Fire.

Bill Evans with Jeremy Steig SHM.jpg

It did not take me long to OT myself.

In keeping with the request of the OP, I submit a contemporary who while I do not know personally, I do know his father personally as he was our office mate. His son, Emmet Cohen's first CD In the Element. Emmet is still in music school at Miami but has already placed third in The Monk Competition. He's a brilliant pianist. I call your listening attention to his work.

Enjoy the great pianist now and then.

Thank you, er' 27 for starting this thread as it has and will continue to be a source of inspiration and a resource to expand us all.

With deep appreciation,

Richard

Emmet Cohen In The Element.jpg

I hope I will not have to keep referring to the OP of this thrilling thread as 27Globes much longer. In any case, marvelous Prologue to a thread I am thrilled to participate in. Your introduction is worth the price of admission.

Thank you, er' 27 for starting this thread as it has and will continue to be a source of inspiration and a resource to expand us all.

With deep appreciation,

Richard

My pleasure, Richard and thank you for your support... and as you will note below the line of my thread... is what you may always call me... Alex. :) Thank you for contribution.

Alex

MBPro i5 > Audioquest Coffee USB > Emotive Audio Customized Valve Preamp > Emotive Audio Custom E-Linear 6L6GA Amp > Modified Custom Quad57s (Wayne Piquet)
My pleasure, Richard and thank you for your support... and as you will note below the line of my thread... is what you may always call me... Alex. :) Thank you for contribution.

Alex,

Pardon my carelessness in not seeing your name.

I'll add Tsuyoshi Yamamoto and his Trio with Midnight Sugar already referenced at Album of The Evening. Newly re-released and remastered Hybrid SACD.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio Midnight Sugar.jpg

HDTracks hi-res "Waltz for Debby", Bill Evans Trio - sorry for the obvious.

I'm not going to list albums by Jarrett or Herbie Hancock - most anything of theirs is great.

Here are a few lesser known albums, though some of the artists are quite well known.

Don Pullen -New Beginnings

cover.jpg

Egberto Gismonti, Danca das Cabecas, Part 2 (side 2 on vinyl)

cover.jpg

side one is also great, but it is basically an acoustic guitar piece. Not many people are as accomplished on 2 different instruments as Gismonti is.

McCoy Tyner - Focal Point. Not considered one of his very best albums, but maybe the one I enjoy listening to the most.

folder.jpg

Randy Weston, The Spirits of Our Ancestors

cover.jpg

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Whoa, this is going to be long.

Let me start with the first Jazz CD I ever got, from the Canadian genius Oscar Peterson.

He's been on stage for about half a century, and if you are into Jazz at all, there is a good chance you have a recording where he's playing, be it e.g on the famous Ella and Louis, or a number of recordings with Billie Holiday.

But this thread should be about his career as a leader.

The problem to me is that unlike some other artists there aren't really any weak albums, at least to me. I could probably skip some of the stuff he's done with strings, but even those are bearable if you are in the mood.

Let me suggest the following:

Of his "classical" period of the 1950's-60's trio with Ed Thipgen and Ray Brown on Verve, I'd recommend the following 3:

Night Train (even available as Hires remaster):

Night Train [24_96].png

Let's Get Requests (You Look Good To Me is a common track heard at Hifi Shows), I recommend the K2HD remaster here:

51K7dEYShSL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

And one of my personal, less known favorites:

Oscar Peterson plays the Cole Porter Songbook

Oscar Peterson Plays The Cole Porter Song Book.png

From the late 60s-70s, I strongly recommend the "Exclusively for my Friends" box on MPS; with recordings from producer Hans-Georg Brunner-Schwer that are both very intimate and very well recorded. There are both Trio (in a couple of different combos) and solo recordings on here. A lot of amazing little gems:

Cover_Box_Set.jpg

Now to Keith Jarrett.

The next Jazz album I ever bought (vinyl this time) was this:

My Song with Jan Garbarek

133027.jpg

This one survived the test of time and I still like it today. It is an excellent entry album if you're not into Jazz yet.

I disagree with Firedog though that you can recommend most of their albums. There are some I simply cannot bear to listen to, not surprisingly in such a huge output (e.g. Survivors Suite, Byablue, Ruta and Daita)

I'd separate between his solo and trio works.

On the solo side, while I usually don't like every single track, usually as a whole pretty much every one of them is worth it.

In addition to the above mentioned Köln Concert (apparently the most sold solo piano album in the world), I'd especially recommend the following:

Paris, London Testament (also available in Hires):

Paris_London - Testament.jpg

Vienna Concert:

Vienna Concert.jpg

Rio:

Rio.png

From his trio work, pretty much everything that has the title "Standards" on it is worth a listen, my favorite one is this one:

1986 Standards Live ( with Gary Peacock & Jack DeJohnette ).jpg

Most of his live trio albums (e.g. At the Blue Note) are quite nice, but my favorite is this one:

Tribute:

Tribute.png

Finally, I'd like to highlight that Jarrett has done his occasional classical recording, some of which even on harpsichord (e.g. Handel Suites, the Goldberg Variations). I'd like to recommend slightly OT my personal favorite:

Shostakovich: The Preludes

jarrett_shostakovich_24_preludes_and_fugues_op87.jpg

One warning: most of the Jarrett recordings are audiophile gems, as luckily he recorded pretty much everything on ECM. However, if you have never listened to Jarrett before, there is one MAJOR sonic nuisance on nearly every one of his albums: Keith loves humming and "singing" (for the lack of a better word) around while he's playing. Somebody on this forum already suggested developing a "Jarrett linear phase brickwall filter", and I'd be the first one to buy that.

Copying from the other thread that started this discussion some recommendations on more contemporary piano trio highlights:

Anat Fort Trio - And If

https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?f...e=602527332161

Helge Lien - Hello Troll

Linn Records - Hello Troll

Helge Lien - Natsukashii

Linn Records - Natsukashii

Marcin Wasilewski - Faithful

https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?f...e=602527591056

Julia Hülsmann - Imprint

https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?f...e=602527442624

Esbjörn Svensson - Live in Hamburg

Amazon.com: Est Live in Hamburg: Esbjorn Svensson: Music

Enrico Pieranunzi: Ballads & Live in Japan

Amazon.com: Live in Japan: Enrico Pieranunzi: Music

Amazon.com: Ballads: Enrico Pieranunzi, Marc Johnson, Joey Baron: Music

Alex,

Given your guidelines, let me know if my next reference pushes the boundaries of your guidelines. I believe this pianist qualifies as a Cuban/Afro-Cuban jazz artist and an extraordinary talent now in his 80s.

Ruben Gonzalez's Chanchullo

Ruben Gonzalez Chanchullo.jpg

Enjoying the music,

Richard

These unrehearsed sets with Stan Getz stand out as does the session with Kenny Barron and Charlie Haden. Again, do not know if referencing another musician with a great jazz pianist violates or expands Alex's guidelines favorably.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

Kenny Barron with Stan Getz: People Time.

Stan Getz and Kenny Barron People Time Box Set.jpg

Charlie Haden and Kenny Barrons.jpg

Stan Getz and Kenny Barron People Time 1.jpg

Brad Mehldau:

Lots of promises, but somehow never got as far as I hoped.

Some absolutely amazing albums (see below), some (e.g. Highway Rider) where I cannot stand half of the tracks.

My personal favorites:

The Art of the Trio vol. 3 - Songs

Unknown.jpeg

The Art of the Trio vol. 1

51CfvrskS9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Now to Keith Jarrett.

The next Jazz album I ever bought (vinyl this time) was this:

My Song with Jan Garbarek

One warning: most of the Jarrett recordings are audiophile gems, as luckily he recorded pretty much everything on ECM. However, if you have never listened to Jarrett before, there is one MAJOR sonic nuisance on nearly every one of his albums: Keith loves humming and "singing" (for the lack of a better word) around while he's playing. Somebody on this forum already suggested developing a "Jarrett linear phase brickwall filter", and I'd be the first one to buy that.

I was so entranced with The Koln Concert... one felt so present to being there in the moment... that I immediately followed with Facing You and The Sun Bear Concerts. I've attended about a half dozen of his concerts both on the West and East Coast. Once I saw him start something and then turn around to the audience and say "I'm going to start over." Another time, a phone was ringing off-stage; no one was answering it; he stopped his playing, got up went off, took it off line, returned and continued playing. And, yes his humming or moaning (to my ears) can reach moments of ecstasy - however, I think they are on key ;) If I remember correctly there are several other greats that groan their work out as they are creating it. I get where it can be distracting, but I take it as their invitation to dive into it as they do. You get that their are spans of time that they are totally owned by the music... that it is in front of them... taking them somewhere... just as it does to us often.

BTW, the beauty of MOG will allow us to hear many of the recommendations full track/album to see if one relates and connects. This is awesome and appreciated.

Facing You.jpg

SunBear Concerts.jpg

Alex

Brad Mehldau:

Lots of promises, but somehow never got as far as I hoped.

Some absolutely amazing albums (see below), some (e.g. Highway Rider) where I cannot stand half of the tracks.

My personal favorites:

The Art of the Trio vol. 3 - Songs

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3578[/ATTACH]

The Art of the Trio vol. 1

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3579[/ATTACH]

Perhaps his trials with substance abuse have taken its toll on occasion. It killed Bill.

Allow me for as good as or not:

Brad Mehldau Introducing Brad Mehldau.jpg

Brad Mehldau the_art_of_the_trio_5.jpg

Brad Mehldau Elegiac Cycle.jpg

Of note, Brad Melhdau's playing at Town Hall with Joshua Redman et al. and on the album, MoodSwing is extraordinary, imo.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

Joshua Redman Moodswings.jpg