IGNORED

Great Jazz Piano Artists - Their “Must Have” Recordings

f190e03ae7a0f673800ab110.L.jpg

Some may see George Shearing more in the catagory of the 'American Songbook', but I will take liberty to bend the 'Jazz' genre just a bit.

His is a prolific career with many individual works worth possessing, but one I recommend bends our OP's topic even further. I orginally purchased the LP for Mel's sake, but with each listen find myself in constant appreciation of Georges prowess on the 88's.

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob

....just an "ON" switch, Please!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3687[/ATTACH]

Some may see George Shearing more in the catagory of the 'American Songbook', but I will take liberty to bend the 'Jazz' genre just a bit.

His is a prolific career with many individual works worth possessing, but one I recommend bends our OP's topic even further. I orginally purchased the LP for Mel's sake, but with each listen find myself in constant appreciation of Georges prowess on the 88's.

Also in my library. His rendition of Señor Blues endures.

Enjoying the music,

Richard

Mel Torme George Shearing Top Drawer.jpg

John Pizarelli & George Shearing the rare delight of you.jpg

51GlFWpITHL._SS500_.jpg

It would be foolhardy to attempt to describe Hine's contribution to the great American art form that is Jazz. His early collaboration with Armstrong defined the foundation that is Jazz. His influence is still found even in today's young future 'greats'.

Boastfully again, a native of my birthplace.

Bill

There are four of these and all are superb. One is called Christmas jazz piano. Three are called Marian mcpartland and friends 1, 2, and 3. These were limited editions but they do pop up on amazon, although I had to wait a year before I found volume three . All have great performances and great audio quality.

mac mini 2011, Transparent audio usb cable, bryston bda-2, hegel h300 integrated amp, audio physic virgo 25 speakers, transparent audio speaker cables interconnects and digital cables.

There are four of these and all are superb. One is called Christmas jazz piano. Three are called Marian mcpartland and friends 1, 2, and 3. These were limited editions but they do pop up on amazon, although I had to wait a year before I found volume three . All have great performances and great audio quality.

I join you in your appreciation of Ms. McPartland. She (had?) a radio program where she invited guest players to share their art in speech and in actual playing and joined them in what I believed was unrehearsed duets done in the moment. I'll look for your pursuits and make them mine. Thank you for the recommendations.

Alex if we are stretching the intent of this thread, be merciful if only for our enthusiasm for the art.

Best,

Richard

Hey guys, you are making me spending more money!

Now downloading "Consecration Part 2".

This remember me a quote from when I was a 'serious and dedicated fisherman': "The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing." ~ Herber Hoover.

We can adapt this to: "The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in listening to music."

Life is so short and music so nice, thanks anyway...

Roch

@Roch

May I ask from where you are downloading "Consecration Part 2"? Is it the full 8 disc set? Been dying to get hold of it at a sane price.

Alex

Always on the learning curve...

MBPro i5 > Audioquest Coffee USB > Emotive Audio Customized Valve Preamp > Emotive Audio Custom E-Linear 6L6GA Amp > Modified Custom Quad57s (Wayne Piquet)
Isn't this one part of the Consecration box?

Hmmm... interesting... I don't believe so... I'll have to compare tracks on MOG... Maybe Richard can help us out with this one since he owns both sets. There is also a chance that it may contain similar numbers, but were different because he played them within different recording sessions... Richard, Help!!!

Alex

MBPro i5 > Audioquest Coffee USB > Emotive Audio Customized Valve Preamp > Emotive Audio Custom E-Linear 6L6GA Amp > Modified Custom Quad57s (Wayne Piquet)
Hmmm... interesting... I don't believe so... I'll have to compare tracks on MOG... Maybe Richard can help us out with this one since he owns both sets. There is also a chance that it may contain similar numbers, but were different because he played them within different recording sessions... Richard, Help!!!

Nope, got it wrong. If I understand it right, Consecration seems to be the penultimate, and the Last Waltz the very last recording session, however, both at the same location and with the same personnel.

From Amazon.com notes.

Best,

Richard

Box set for Consecration 8 Discs: Milestone's second eight-disc collection of Bill Evans's next-to-last nightclub engagement at San Francisco's Keystone Korner contains some of the influential jazz pianist's most creative and impassioned playing extant. Inspired by his strong and fervently supportive rhythm section of bassist Marc Johnson and drummer Joe LaBarbera, each selection on these eight discs attests to the pianist's vitally transformed style. Evans's singular, pastel-tinted chord voicings now emerge in bolder, primary colors, and his penchant for rhythmically displacing phrases against the basic meter reaches dizzying heights. Note the jagged urgency of his extended piano intro to "My Romance" (in no less than six similar yet never redundant versions), the newfound dynamism in ballads like "Polka Dots and Moonbeams" and "My Foolish Heart," and plenty of hard, unfettered swinging. After a hailstorm of notes gush from Evans's solo on "Someday My Prince Will Come," it as if Clark Kent has changed into Superman before your eyes and ears. Such uplifting artistry is amazing from a pianist who was seriously ill and had less than two weeks to live.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3663[/ATTACH]

Box set for The Last Waltz 8 Discs: This eight-CD set was recorded at San Francisco's Keystone Korner between August 31 and September 8, 1980, just a week before Evans's death on September 15. With Evans were bassist Marc Johnson and drummer Joe LaBarbera. It was an unusually well-balanced rhythm team for the pianist, perhaps the best combination of talents since he first developed his trio style with Scott LaFaro and Paul Motian two decades before. They provide Evans with responsive support that can shift from the quietest underpinnings to aggressive stimulation. There's often a characteristic movement here from introspective solo passages to vigorous trio dialogues that shows just how hard Evans could swing when he had the right drummer.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3664[/ATTACH]

Here it is from his online biography... his last performance at Keystone comprised two 8 disc box sets

His last officially recorded performance was at San Francisco's Keystone Korner between August 31 and September 8, 1980, just a week before his death resulting in two eight-CD sets Last Waltz and Consecration.

His very last gig, from 9/9 - 14, which turned to be a two days one, happened at the Fat Tuesdays jazzclub in NYC. After two days of playing, Evans was much too sick to go on. An unofficial bootleg recording of this last performance on September 10 ends very touching with his composition "Turn Out The Stars".

Alex

515eFX3uLAL._SS500_.jpg

Brought to my attention many years ago by a fellow music lover at a similar site.

This work is not stereotypical of what one would expect when the name Dave Brubeck is mentioned. It is somewhat reserved, melancholy, almost dark in nature, being introspective to the time, place & events that left deep impressions on a man's soul.

IMHO, best appreciated on a late evening, dim ambiance, fireplace optional, single malt at hand.

Bill

@Roch

May I ask from where you are downloading "Consecration Part 2"? Is it the full 8 disc set? Been dying to get hold of it at a sane price.

Alex,

It is available on Qobuz and yes it is the entire 8 disc set for 28 euro.

Todd

2012 MBP (OSX 10.11 and Amarra Symphony w/IRC)-> Revelation Dual Conduit USB -> Berkeley Alpha USB -> Verastarr Silver Signature AES -> Devialet D250-> Siltech 550L -> KEF 104/2 (Steve Nugent Custom).

Power conditioning Audience Adept AR2p -> Verastarr Grand Illusion, Siltech Explorer 270p and Crystal Cable Standard Diamond

Analog: VPI Classic 3, Sumiko Pearwood Celebration ii, Siltech 770i RCA

Here it is from his online biography... his last performance at Keystone comprised two 8 disc box sets

His last officially recorded performance was at San Francisco's Keystone Korner between August 31 and September 8, 1980, just a week before his death resulting in two eight-CD sets Last Waltz and Consecration.

His very last gig, from 9/9 - 14, which turned to be a two days one, happened at the Fat Tuesdays jazzclub in NYC. After two days of playing, Evans was much too sick to go on. An unofficial bootleg recording of this last performance on September 10 ends very touching with his composition "Turn Out The Stars".

That clearly means I need to get the Last Waltz box as well, thanks for clarifying. Anybody knows where to download it? Qobuz doesn't seem to have it.

thanks for clarifying !

Nope, got it wrong. If I understand it right, Consecration seems to be the penultimate, and the Last Waltz the very last recording session, however, both at the same location and with the same personnel.

Alex, Musiciophile as I posted, these are two different sets (of sessions) when Bill was dying from his years of abuse. Yet he toughed it out at the Keystone Corner in San Francisco. The last set of sessions ended on September 7/8. On September 15, 1980, Mr. Evans passed.

With respect,

Richard

Consecration Part 2: Bill Evans Trio: Bill Evans (piano); Marc Johnson (bass); Joe LaBarbera (drums). Recorded at the Keystone Korner in San Francisco, California, between August 31 and September 7, 1980. While it's true that this eight-CD box set was issued in Japan and in Europe briefly, none of its performances have been heard in any form in the United States. This is the companion piece to Milestone's previously issued eight-CD The Last Waltz. Like the previous collection, these live dates with Evans' final trio -- Marc Johnson on bass and Joe LaBarbera on drums -- were recorded at the Keystone Korner in San Francisco between August 31 and September 7, 1980, about a week before Evans' death (September 15, 1980). What separates the two is that this set is comprised primarily of first sets. If one assembles these two collections with the Warner Bros. -released final Village Vanguard concerts, Turn Out the Stars, there is undeniable evidence that not only was Evans in a state of creative rebirth at the end of his life, but was perhaps at his zenith as a composer, arranger, and -- above all -- as an improviser. The excellent and technically revelatory liner notes to this collection by Bob Doerschuk go a long way toward explaining exactly what it was that Evans was up to on that stand with his piano and his band. They offer lucid, accessible, and picturesque descriptions of the mechanics of the music here, so there is no reason to discuss them in this review. What is most important is the intensity and emotional honesty of the performances, and, of course, the nearly spiritual communication between the members of the trio. Over eight CDs, listeners are treated to 68 performances of 28 tunes, the vast majority of which are foundation planks of American pop song composers from Rodgers & Hart to Jimmy Van Heusen to Henry Mancini to Paul Simon to Bobbie Gentry. Many are Evans staples, with "Polka Dots and Moonbeams," "My Romance," "My Foolish Heart," "But Beautiful," "Like Someone in Love," "Someday My Prince Will Come," "Days of Wine and Roses," "I Do It for Your Love," etc., among them. There are nine Evans originals (and one that should be): "Re: Person I Knew," "The Two Lonely People," "Your Story," "Laurie," "Turn Out the Stars," "Knit for Mary F., " "Bill's Hit Tune," "Tiffany," and "Letter to Evan." The one that should be is "Song From M*A*S*H (Suicide Is Painless)." No one should harbor the illusion that the music on Consecration is in any way inferior to that found on The Last Waltz. First and second sets are, more often than not, articulated in different languages. The proof here is in the grooves: The Evans trio comes out of the box on disc one from August 31 steaming. This version of "Re: Person I Knew" sounds like it's an encore after a full evening spent in deep concentration with the band. The fluidity of whirlwind improvisational ideas around the tune's changes and its rhythm is startling for a first track. There is no hesitation anywhere in the heart of the music, with Evans swirling around his rhythm section and Johnson and LaBarbera turning all of those ideas into a shifting, swirling mass of harmonic elegance that turns not back on itself, but toward the heart of musical communication and blows it wide open for the common listener to take in. Elsewhere, such as on the three versions of "Song From M*A*S*H," Evans and Johnson take the introspective melody, clip its ends, and create a dynamic and shimmering tension that LaBarbera then moves into scintillating overdrive. The contrapuntal middles of the versions by Evans, as he runs through and around the basslines with trills and dropping fat open chords in the syncopation, are exhilarating almost beyond measure. On "Two Lonely People," Evans tosses a changeup into the mix that turns around the balladic nature of the tune and instead puts forth its swinging harmonic shifts and chromatic shapes. The interplay between Evans and Johnson halfway through is a nearly symbiotic communication, JazzTimes (4/03, pp. 84-8) - "... This is Bill Evans at his lyrical peak. There's not one hint of diminution - each of his searching, contemplative intros setting an unforgettable mood... ".

1 Re: Person I Knew See All 7

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 5:54 $0.99

2 Tiffany See All 2

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 5:46 $0.99

3 My Foolish Heart See All 6

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 5:24 $0.99

4 Suicide Is Painless (Theme From M*A*S*H)

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 4:27 $0.99

5 Knit For Mary F See All 2

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 8:11

6 Days Of Wine And Roses See All 2

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 9:42

7 Your Story See All 2

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 5:02 $0.99

8 Two Lonely People See All 2

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 8:11

9 My Romance See All 6

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 11:15

Disc 2

1 Tiffany See All 2

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 6:19 $0.99

2 Polka Dots and Moonbeams See All 7

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 7:20

3 Like Someone In Love See All 2

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 7:46

4 Letter to Evan See All 2

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 8:59

5 Gary's Theme

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 7:15

6 Days Of Wine And Roses See All 2

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 8:36

7 I Do It For Your Love See All 2

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 7:01

8 My Romance See All 6

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 9:19

Disc 3

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 5:04 $0.99

2 Tiffany See All 2

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 5:50 $0.99

3 Knit For Mary F See All 2

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 6:44 $0.99

4 Like Someone In Love See All 2

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 7:12

5 Your Story See All 2

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 4:42 $0.99

6 Someday My Prince Will Come See All 6

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 7:20

7 I Do It For Your Love See All 2

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 6:18 $0.99

8 My Romance See All 6

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 10:10

Disc 4

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 5:06 $0.99

2 Tiffany See All 2

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 5:56 $0.99

3 Polka Dots and Moonbeams See All 7

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 7:07

4 Suicide Is Painless (Theme From M*A*S*H)

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 5:03 $0.99

5 Your Story See All 2

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 4:43 $0.99

6 Like Someone In Love See All 2

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 6:48 $0.99

7 Knit For Mary F See All 2

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 6:51 $0.99

8 Two Lonely People See All 2

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 8:23

9 My Romance See All 6

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 9:28

Disc 5

1 Up With the Lark See All 3

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 7:15

2 Mornin' Glory See All 3

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 4:07 $0.99

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 6:38 $0.99

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 7:21

5 Turn Out the Stars See All 3

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 8:36

6 Your Story See All 2

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 4:36 $0.99

7 Emily See All 3

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 5:10 $0.99

8 I Do It For Your Love See All 2

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 6:15 $0.99

9 My Romance See All 6

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 8:57

Disc 6

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 4:37 $0.99

2 Tiffany See All 2

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 5:33 $0.99

3 Knit For Mary F See All 2

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 6:52 $0.99

4 My Foolish Heart See All 6

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 4:54 $0.99

5 Who Can I Turn To See All 2

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 6:20 $0.99

6 Emily See All 3

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 4:48 $0.99

7 Laurie See All 2

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 8:05

8 You And The Night And The Music

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 6:21 $0.99

Disc 7

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 4:37 $0.99

2 Laurie See All 2

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 7:02

3 Bill's Hit Tune

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 7:35

4 Two Lonely People See All 2

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 7:53

5 Suicide Is Painless (Theme From M*A*S*H)

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 4:17 $0.99

6 My Foolish Heart See All 6

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 4:13 $0.99

7 Days Of Wine And Roses See All 2

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 8:23

8 But Beautiful See All 2

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 3:11 $0.99

Disc 8

1 Emily See All 3

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 4:47 $0.99

2 Polka Dots and Moonbeams See All 7

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 6:17 $0.99

3 Like Someone In Love See All 2

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 6:51 $0.99

4 Knit For Mary F See All 2

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 4:20 $0.99

5 Who Can I Turn To See All 2

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 7:55

6 I Do It For Your Love See All 2

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 6:27 $0.99

7 My Romance See All 6

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 5:01 $0.99

8 I Do It For Your Love See All 3

with The Bill Evans Trio 5:46 $0.99

9 My Romance See All 8

with The Bill Evans Trio 9:03

The Last Waltz: Recorded live at Keystone Korner, San Francisco, California from August 31-September 8, 1980. Includes liner notes by Todd Barkan and Derk Richardson. Digitally remastered by Joe Tarantino (2000, Fantasy Studios, Berkeley, California). A moving finale to a remarkable career, The Last Waltz was recorded during a nine-night stand at San Francisco's legendary Keystone Korner one week prior to jazz piano icon Bill Evans' death at age 51. With the youthful rhythm team of Marc Johnson and Joe LaBarbera providing telepathic support, Evans turns in some of the most magnificent performances of his 25-year career. Aware that his days were numbered, he played with the creative drive and improvisational intensity with which he had long ago made his mark. This eight-disc set's 65 tracks include takes on 32 different tunes of which nine are Evans originals. Revisiting, reworking, and revitalizing many of his signature pieces, he finds new dimensions to explore in each. The set lists range from standards like "My Foolish Heart," "If You Could See Me Now," "Autumn Leaves," and "Polka Dots and Moonbeams" to the pianist's own classics, "Turn Out the Stars," "Letter to Evan," and "Waltz for Debby." The lengthy solo piano introductions to six different renderings of Miles Davis' "Nardis" are breathtaking in their beauty. This is simply gorgeous music, powerful and moving, a fitting farewell from one of the finest. ~ Jim Newsom Bill Evans Trio: Bill Evans (piano); Marc Johnson (bass); Joe LaBarbera (drums). Mojo (Publisher) (4/01, p. 106) - "... With Bill as intense and inventive as at any time, it's hard not to hear this stupendous music as the grandest, most defiant of finales."

1 After You

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 2:41 $0.99

2 Like Someone In Love See All 2

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 6:56 $0.99

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 7:03

4 Emily See All 3

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 5:43 $0.99

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 9:14

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 6:33 $0.99

7 Nardis See All 11

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 7:18

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 4:49 $0.99

Disc 2

1 Yet Ne'er Broken

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 6:40 $0.99

2 Knit For Mary F See All 2

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 7:03

3 Touch of Your Lips

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 5:29 $0.99

4 My Man's Gone Now See All 2

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 6:52 $0.99

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 6:31 $0.99

6 Your Story See All 2

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 5:12 $0.99

7 Nardis See All 11

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 17:41

Disc 3

1 Peau Douce See All 2

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 5:43 $0.99

2 Yet Ne'er Broken

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 6:08 $0.99

3 My Foolish Heart See All 6

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 5:13 $0.99

4 Up With the Lark See All 3

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 5:52 $0.99

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 8:01

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 6:07 $0.99

7 Nardis See All 11

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 15:55

8 Noelle's Theme / I Loves You, Porgy

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 7:30

Disc 4

1 Yet Ne'er Broken

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 6:06 $0.99

2 Spring Is Here See All 5

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 4:16 $0.99

3 Who Can I Turn to (When Nobody Needs Me) See All 2

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 5:59 $0.99

4 Letter to Evan See All 2

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 6:44 $0.99

5 If You Could See Me Now See All 6

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 5:28 $0.99

6 Two Lonely People See All 2

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 6:43 $0.99

7 Sleepin' Bee See All 2

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 5:18 $0.99

8 Haunted Heart See All 5

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 4:49 $0.99

9 Five

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 4:19 $0.99

Disc 5

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 4:02 $0.99

2 Tiffany See All 2

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 5:36 $0.99

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 6:16 $0.99

5 Your Story See All 2

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 4:26 $0.99

6 Someday My Prince Will Come See All 6

7 Letter to Evan See All 2

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 6:28 $0.99

8 My Romance See All 6

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 9:15

9 But Beautiful See All 2

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 4:03 $0.99

Disc 6

1 Mornin' Glory See All 3

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 3:59 $0.99

2 Emily See All 3

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 4:59 $0.99

3 For Mary F

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 6:25 $0.99

4 Days Of Wine And Roses See All 2

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 7:46

5 Up With the Lark See All 3

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 5:19 $0.99

6 My Foolish Heart See All 6

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 4:17 $0.99

7 Nardis See All 11

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 15:17

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 3:50 $0.99

Disc 7

1 My Foolish Heart See All 6

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 4:02 $0.99

2 Nardis See All 11

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 17:47

3 Mother of Earl

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 5:04 $0.99

4 If You Could See Me Now See All 6

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 5:49 $0.99

5 My Man's Gone Now See All 2

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 4:36 $0.99

6 Who Can I Turn to (When Nobody Needs Me) See All 2

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 6:05 $0.99

7 Waltz For Debby See All 6

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 6:20 $0.99

8 Spring Is Here See All 5

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 3:51 $0.99

9 Five

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 3:53 $0.99

Disc 8

1 Letter to Evan See All 2

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 8:07

2 My Man's Gone Now See All 2

3 34 Skidoo

4 Spring Is Here See All 5

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 4:43 $0.99

5 Autumn Leaves See All 6

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 5:39 $0.99

6 Knit For Mary F See All 2

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 6:31 $0.99

7 Nardis See All 11

with Bill Evans (Trio), The Bill Evans Trio 19:35

Alex,

It is available on Qobuz and yes it is the entire 8 disc set for 28 euro.

Todd

Todd,

You must be in Europe. It is not available yet for distribution in the states. Qobuz doesn't have the license to release it. I've been waiting for a friend to go to Europe and give him a flash drive to download it on. How large of a file is the complete box set?

Alex

Richard, I assume you have both. Would you recommend getting The Last Waltz if I already have Consecration? I'm pretty tempted.

You can listen to both sets on MOG... and decide whether you have strong enough interest for The Last Waltz. That what I did.

Alex

Alex, Musiciophile as I posted, these are two different sets (of sessions) when Bill was dying from his years of abuse. Yet he toughed it out at the Keystone Corner in San Francisco. The last set of sessions ended on September 7/8. On September 15, 1980, Mr. Evans passed.

With respect,

Richard

Yeah, Richard.... I finally got cleared up on that via his biography website. Thanks

Alex

You can listen to both sets on MOG... and decide whether you have strong enough interest for The Last Waltz. That what I did.

Here the licensing chaos plays the other way: no MOG in my country...

The full consecration set is 4.5 GB in AIFF, and approximately half that in ALAC.

Here the licensing chaos plays the other way: no MOG in my country...

The full consecration set is 4.5 GB in AIFF, and approximately half that in ALAC.

I love this... It's an international thread :) So, both you and Todd are on the other shore... and have access to the Consecration Part2.... and from what I know both Richard and I are in New York. The 4.5 GB makes sense... between 450 and 500MB is a single disc.

From what I have heard and having neither. My first buy would be Consecration... and because I so enjoy those sessions... I personally would then want to get the The Last Waltz... so i could take the total trip. But, that's me... I tend to spend long stretches of time with a single artist/player... I think I did about 6 weeks of intensive listening to Richter before I moved on :) But that's me... when I connect I like to dive in deeply and stay awhile. The music tends to become part of me that way.

Alex

Todd,

...How large of a file is the complete box set?

The complete set is 2.45 GBytes in FLAC.

2012 MBP (OSX 10.11 and Amarra Symphony w/IRC)-> Revelation Dual Conduit USB -> Berkeley Alpha USB -> Verastarr Silver Signature AES -> Devialet D250-> Siltech 550L -> KEF 104/2 (Steve Nugent Custom).

Power conditioning Audience Adept AR2p -> Verastarr Grand Illusion, Siltech Explorer 270p and Crystal Cable Standard Diamond

Analog: VPI Classic 3, Sumiko Pearwood Celebration ii, Siltech 770i RCA

Richard, I assume you have both. Would you recommend getting The Last Waltz if I already have Consecration? I'm pretty tempted.

Yes, and I will share with you my reasons. Firstly, not from how great Bill is, but how compelling his will to play despite his dire health. One can feel the changes he's going through energetically. I felt this with Monk as well. The week before he passed he still played at Keystone Korners. I can understand if my criteria does not match your criteria (or you might find it a good enough reason).

My second reason: I am Standards lover. And I love what Bill Evans does with them. His renditions are never the same. Compare his playlists and decide if what tunes in one collection of sets is worth the expense to you compared to what tunes are in the other collection.

I am recalling that when I beta test for Amarra, I have played The Complete Village Vanguard Collection 1961 Disc 1 for every build to compare the SQ of the betas as they go through the build changes (if I can discern the change). Then on one occasion I changed to Consecration Part II and there was a profound difference (not better, different in feeling, what was happening for Evans over time). I was moved. Then I had the idea to play The Last Waltz Disc 2 and I could hear the change. Admittedly, I am a devoted audience when it comes to Evans so please factor this into your equation for whether or not to invest. I do admit to favoring Consecration over The Last Waltz but that has to do with the level of performance. The change in Bill's playing historically and as as human being pursuing his art drives me. I am glad I made the decision.

The reason I copied the tracks for the discs for each collection was to provide you and Alex and anyone interested in perusing what standards, tunes, his compositions are attractive to you.

I believe you can hear in the last set he played his fatigue. But if I am imagining it, I was there in spirit, clapping him on. (Excuse the melodrama, but I am afraid I am being serious.)

Let me know what you decide. If you care to. I always appreciate the sensibilities of an avid music lover.

I wondered if the business end of the business that has to do with the financial end of it prompted the second box set. Heard it and stopped wondering. But I believe for some in the business that is their criteria.

I invite you to sample as much as you can and decide for yourself. I'll say yes to your query rather than just be safe. And hope you enjoy the decision after the fact.

Let me know.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

Full disclosure:

Before I saw the latest posts re Bill Evans, I ordered Turn Out the Stars: Final Village Vanguard Recordings [box Set] from Amazon.com. The time frame precedes Consecration and The Last Waltz. Like Alex, I, also immerse myself into an artist's work as I listen better as I become more familiar with each track. Is it not the same in watching a movie for a second or third time and realizing that I just saw something or heard a line I had missed before. I am hoping more of his work is being made or will be made easier to acquire. Downloads are nice, but I feel better with the goods in my hands. Will report back when the box set arrives and I have heard a disc or two.

Enjoying the music,

Richard

Bill Evans Turn Out The Stars.jpg

Richard, I really didn't need a lot of convincing in the first place. So I'll try to find it somewhere.

By the way, I have "Turn out the stars" as well, it is a very nice set.

I just checked my library, turns out I now have 6 days of Bill Evans... Would be a rather crazy non-stop week if I ever played that in one go.

Richard, I really didn't need a lot of convincing in the first place. So I'll try to find it somewhere.

By the way, I have "Turn out the stars" as well, it is a very nice set.

I just checked my library, turns out I now have 6 days of Bill Evans... Would be a rather crazy non-stop week if I ever played that in one go.

Thank you for the confirmation about Turn Out The Stars. I miscalculated the import of your question to me. Sometimes, it is difficult to read a post and discern the poster's actual state of mind about a decision. Hope you find what you are looking for in the format you prefer.

Best,

Richard

Richard,

I have been following your Bill Evans posts with great interest. I know you have a vast collection and in many cases own several formats of the same recording. Can you please give me some recommendations on your favorite formats for a few of the must have Bill Evans recordings? Although I have switched to a MBP running Amarra and longer have a "real" CD player (other than my Oppo 93, which I am not impressed with), I would entertain buying a good SACD player if need be to get the best SQ. I am interested in starting with:

[h=1]The Complete Village Vanguard Recordings[/h][h=1]Last Waltz: Final Recordings Live[/h][h=1]The Complete Riverside Recordings[/h][h=1]Consecration: The Final Recordings Part 2[/h]Todd

[h=1][/h]

Interesting, Todd.

Your question gives me pause for several reasons. In choosing a format for a pre-recorded selection to render the highest SQ in the playback as you refer to is dependent on the system you employ. I am stating the obvious. For example, I do not play vinyl which some individuals prefer. I can not rip a SACD for conversion to PCM or to leave in DSD domain and play the files in that format. My SACD player is an Oppo BDP-95. My system is very decent to my ears. I therefore play SHM-SACD on the Oppo BDP-95, and convert everything else to PCM/AIFF. Hi-Res files are to my ears mostly hit or miss (more miss than hit). I actually prefer to buy the best media and rip them. Redbook CD rip and sound as good as Hi-Res on my 2ch system. In one of my posts in this thread, I compared 3 editions of Waltz For Debby concluding that the SHM-SACD had a slight edge (to my ears in my subjective judgment) over the HDtracks DL in 192/24 and that edition edged out the Analogue Production edition, Hybrid SACD, of Waltz For Debby.

I purchased the HDCD 20Bit The Complete Village Vanguard Recordings 1961 3Disc box set, ripped it using XLD to AIFF, and on my system I am extremely happy with the results. The other titles you refer to in your post are also in my collection as redbook CD formatted ripped by XLD to AIFF and again sound excellent. In my opinion, Amarra Symphony (formerly the Full/flagship program) renders those AIFF files best to my ears on my system with Audirvana Plus (latest build) in second place. Others would reverse that order.

When I compared Brubeck's Tim Out album which I do not have in SHM-SACD (is it?), the K2HD 100/24Bit version sounded best to my ears over the SACD M.ch and Hybrid SACD.

I have many SHM-SACD editions of Bill Evans' oeuvre. Ironically some of them do not always sound as good as the ripped redbook CD and many of them sound as good and better. The HDtracks DL of Waltz For Debby is a safe purchase in 192/24. Not better than my SHM-SACD edition. The others you mention are redbook CD rips and, as I wrote above, sound excellent. The only way for you to assess which format is best for you is to first create your system to the best level you can afford. Then listen to the various formats and decide for yourself. I have pretty much described how I do it; and, for me, it works to my satisfaction. Not playing vinyl I am totally ignorant of that format as a source of high SQ.

Perhaps, I am just repeating myself and providing you with a rather pedestrian description, but I am happy. And I hope you will arrive at a similar result. If anything I have written helps or you have specific questions about a specific title, feel free to PM me.

Enjoy the journey and the music,

Richard