IGNORED

Great Jazz Piano Artists - Their “Must Have” Recordings

Whoa, this is going to be long.

Let me start with the first Jazz CD I ever got, from the Canadian genius Oscar Peterson.

He's been on stage for about half a century, and if you are into Jazz at all, there is a good chance you have a recording where he's playing, be it e.g on the famous Ella and Louis, or a number of recordings with Billie Holiday.

But this thread should be about his career as a leader.

The problem to me is that unlike some other artists there aren't really any weak albums, at least to me. I could probably skip some of the stuff he's done with strings, but even those are bearable if you are in the mood.

Let me suggest the following:

Of his "classical" period of the 1950's-60's trio with Ed Thipgen and Ray Brown on Verve, I'd recommend the following 3:

Night Train (even available as Hires remaster):

Let's Get Requests (You Look Good To Me is a common track heard at Hifi Shows), I recommend the K2HD remaster here:

And one of my personal, less known favorites:

Oscar Peterson plays the Cole Porter Songbook

From the late 60s-70s, I strongly recommend the "Exclusively for my Friends" box on MPS; with recordings from producer Hans-Georg Brunner-Schwer that are both very intimate and very well recorded. There are both Trio (in a couple of different combos) and solo recordings on here. A lot of amazing little gems:

Great Choices. Definitely ditto Night Train (which got me turned onto wanting more) and Exclusively For My Friends. Right off the shoulders of Art Tatum.

Alex

Always on the learning curve...

MBPro i5 > Audioquest Coffee USB > Emotive Audio Customized Valve Preamp > Emotive Audio Custom E-Linear 6L6GA Amp > Modified Custom Quad57s (Wayne Piquet)
If I may add to Keith Jarrett Collection we are all entertaining, one of those not yet mentioned (?) that I also go back to:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3588[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3589[/ATTACH]

one more time.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3590[/ATTACH]

Second all of these.

Dear Alex,

I get so much pleasure from the thread you conceived. Thank you time and again. Better to shout this out than Whisper Not. I also highly regard the contributors who generously share their knowledge, taste (avoiding qualifying that taste as it is obvious that music is either good or ... something else whether it be Bill Evans or the Christy Minstrels). Any one who is new to CA and also looking for wonderful music to enjoy playing through the systems has found a mine of golden recommendations. This forum, these threads, this thread is a joy to read and contribute to.

Thank you for making it happen. Do you agree, Chris? (;>})

Best,

Richard

I love so much Evans, and Jarret but I thought I would post a couple lesser known favorites :

-- Mingus Plays Piano which is mesmerizing and soulful

-- Merle Saunders "Meridien Dreams"...not great jazz, but fun to listen to (he was Jerry gGarcias piano player frequently )

(Don't know how to upload art, sorry)

mac mini 2011, Transparent audio usb cable, bryston bda-2, hegel h300 integrated amp, audio physic virgo 25 speakers, transparent audio speaker cables interconnects and digital cables.

I love so much Evans, and Jarret but I thought I would post a couple lesser known favorites :

-- Mingus Plays Piano which is mesmerizing and soulful

-- Merle Saunders "Meridien Dreams"...not great jazz, but fun to listen to (he was Jerry gGarcias piano player frequently )

(Don't know how to upload art, sorry)

That's the idea of the thread. Do not stop go directly to Jail (in this case) or your favorite megaphone and let us know what you discover. I recently purchased Charles Mingus - The Jazz Workshop Concerts 1964-65. I believe Charles Mingus plays piano on one of the several discs in this collection which I have yet to get to. Thank you for the heads up just in case it is there waiting for me.

Enjoying the music,

Richard

Charles Mingus Jazz Workshop Concerts 1964-65.jpg

215AKYJ95RL._AA160_.jpg

I was listening to our local Jazz internet station as I often do for some ambient fill in the early evening prior to settling in for dedicated session with hand-picked work. When a cut from this album caught my attention, I immediately was compelled to email the station for information. The CD, Ahmad's Blues, was ripped in my NAS within a few days.

It seems Ahmad is such a stalwart of the genre as to be taken for granted in this instance. I was embarrassed to not have recognized the style & realized that within my library a massive hole was present. As was the hole in my mind's understanding of the significance of his contribution. Always referenced, but not experienced left my understanding incomplete.

This work inspired more learning of his gift & thus the continuation this wonderful journey.

I too, must brandish my pride of being from a town who has & continues to produce 'greats' such as Ahmad, Hines, Strayhorn, Mary Lou Williams, Garner, Sonny Clark, Horace Parland, Dodo Mamarosa, Orlando DiGirolamo, Johnny Costa, and David Budway.

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob

....just an "ON" switch, Please!

impromptu.jpg

I recently heard a cut from this wonderful cd on an internet radio station. The song literally snapped me to attention as I was reading. I put my book down, checked out who this pianist was, and found a review or two of "Impromptu". I would encourage you to give this cd a listen. It can be found on MOG and here is one of the reviews I found prior to purchasing.

Bob Mamet: “Impromptu”, jazz review by Dan Bilawsky

I'm a big fan of Kenny Barron and this disc is one I listen to time and again .. I never tire of it.

I'm fast becoming a fan of Tord Gustavsen thanks to Musicophile.

I love the focus of this thread Alex .. great idea.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3595[/ATTACH]

I was listening to our local Jazz internet station as I often do for some ambient fill in the early evening prior to settling in for dedicated session with hand-picked work. When a cut from this album caught my attention, I immediately was compelled to email the station for information. The CD, Ahmad's Blues, was ripped in my NAS within a few days.

It seems Ahmad is such a stalwart of the genre as to be taken for granted in this instance. I was embarrassed to not have recognized the style & realized that within my library a massive hole was present. As was the hole in my mind's understanding of the significance of his contribution. Always referenced, but not experienced left my understanding incomplete.

This work inspired more learning of his gift & thus the continuation this wonderful journey.

I too, must brandish my pride of being from a town who has & continues to produce 'greats' such as Ahmad, Hines, Strayhorn, Mary Lou Williams, Garner, Sonny Clark, Horace Parland, Dodo Mamarosa, Orlando DiGirolamo, Johnny Costa, and David Budway.

Gentlemen, amen to your taste and sentiments and appreciation of Alex's idea for centralizing great taste in great artists who produce great work. Perhaps that's enough Great (in one sentence). One more (as if)...

Denny Zeitlin. It has taken me a bit longer to appreciate his artistry. If you're willing to try on for size, given Alex's caveat. Denny arrives, it just took me longer to get here with him. Pardon me if I sound un-appreciative of what it took me to get to appreciate.

Denny Zeitlin.jpg

Gentlemen, amen to your taste and sentiments and appreciation of Alex's idea for centralizing great taste in great artists who produce great work. Perhaps that's enough Great (in one sentence). One more (as if)...

Denny Zeitlin. It has taken me a bit longer to appreciate his artistry. If you're willing to try on for size, given Alex's caveat. Denny arrives, it just took me longer to get here with him. Pardon me if I sound un-appreciative of what it took me to get to appreciate.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3601[/ATTACH]

This thread is really great, discovering new stuff all the time now.

Let me add one more, that has only been mentioned in passing in this thread yet: Erroll Garner.

I adore him not only as a great pianist (easily recognizable by his very particular style in the left hand), but also as the composer of one of my all time favorite ballads, Misty.

Two recommendations:

Concert by the sea - recorded in Carmel:

Concert By The Sea.png

And of course:

MI0002519395.jpg

56312.gif

Walter Davis Jr passed shortly after completing this recording.

A week prior to its completion while rehearsing, by his own words, he was visited by Monk (deceased 8 years prior).

This is not a tribute to Monk.

It is Monk, thru Davis.

Not recognized as a soloist, he supported among others, Dizz, Blakey, Rollings & Miles.

Here, on this work, his old friend Monk, is present to a degree that to my mind, transcends even Monk.

When I first listened to this work many years ago, it fell on deaf ears. I was not ready for such clarity in raw inspiration. I was compelled to search for meaning & studied Monk & Davis even more. After watching a documentary, 'Thelonious Monk: Straight, No Chaser', I then revisited this marvel. It was then that I was hit with the proverbial 'ton of bricks'.

From that point on, neither Monk or Davis were mere musicians to my mind.

Nor where they mere mortals.

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob

....just an "ON" switch, Please!

Dear Alex,

I get so much pleasure from the thread you conceived. Thank you time and again. Better to shout this out than Whisper Not. I also highly regard the contributors who generously share their knowledge, taste (avoiding qualifying that taste as it is obvious that music is either good or ... something else whether it be Bill Evans or the Christy Minstrels). Any one who is new to CA and also looking for wonderful music to enjoy playing through the systems has found a mine of golden recommendations. This forum, these threads, this thread is a joy to read and contribute to.

Thank you for making it happen. Do you agree, Chris? (;>})

Best,

Richard

This serves and contributes well... I am really delighted! It creates a deep and rich pool of selective personal listening choices. By it not making it arbitrary; listing something for the sake of listing it; or a boastful show of what we think or have been told are great jazz pianist recordings - it will provide a unique discovery for us all. I've listened to several selections already and have gone, "Wow... where have you been all my listening life!!!" :) Keep it true... Keep it personal.... and all of us and those that follow will definitely be enriched by this discography of exceptional personal recordings. You will all have shared your ears and listening personalities. Very cool!

Alex

MBPro i5 > Audioquest Coffee USB > Emotive Audio Customized Valve Preamp > Emotive Audio Custom E-Linear 6L6GA Amp > Modified Custom Quad57s (Wayne Piquet)
This thread is really great, discovering new stuff all the time now.

Let me add one more, that has only been mentioned in passing in this thread yet: Erroll Garner.

I adore him not only as a great pianist (easily recognizable by his very particular style in the left hand), but also as the composer of one of my all time favorite ballads, Misty.

Two recommendations:

Concert by the sea - recorded in Carmel:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3602[/ATTACH]

And of course:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3603[/ATTACH]

Erroll Garner belongs here as you rightly identify him. Misty is a gorgeous song. Erroll Garner could not read music yet can play anything he hears and then gives it his own special rendition. He also makes sounds when he plays as some musicians are apt to do, i.e., Peterson, Jarrett, Ray Brown. I have a special affection for Mr. Garner he plays like he looks when he is playing, happy in the music. One can love the music and him in the same moment.

And another marvelous musician,

Horace Silver: Song For My Father

Horace Silver song for my father.jpg

Cape Verdean Blues

Horace Silver Cape Verdean Blues.jpg

There's always more to enjoy,

Richard

Erroll Garner belongs here as you rightly identify him. Misty is a gorgeous song. Erroll Garner could not read music yet can play anything he hears and then gives it his own special rendition. He also makes sounds when he plays as some musicians are apt to do, i.e., Peterson, Jarrett, Ray Brown. I have a special affection for Mr. Garner he plays like he looks when he is playing, happy in the music. One can love the music and him in the same moment.

And another marvelous musician,

Horace Silver: Song For My Father

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3619[/ATTACH]

Cape Verdean Blues

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3621[/ATTACH]

There's always more to enjoy,

Richard

You may want to add The Tokyo Blues.

1962TheHoraceSilverQuintetTheTokyoBlues.jpg

Plus a gazillion of other albums where he played as a sideman (Miles Davis' Walkin', Art Blakey at the Cafe Bohemia, etc.)

I was listening to KJ "still live" yesterday, which was really the album that turned me on to his music, and, despite how great the performance is, I would note that it isn't anywhere near as well recorded as some of his magnificent sonic recordings , such as the blue note live six cd set. Of course, the music is most important but jarret has done so many great performances AND great sonic recordings that I tend to look for ones that have both.

mac mini 2011, Transparent audio usb cable, bryston bda-2, hegel h300 integrated amp, audio physic virgo 25 speakers, transparent audio speaker cables interconnects and digital cables.

The Amazing Bud Powell, Vol. I

budpowell.jpg

Need I say more :) I get engrossed with days of Jarrett, Evans and Powell.

Alex

@ Musicophile

That Anat Fort Trio - And If is great. Thanks!!!!

Glad you like it.

She deserves a double recognition as one of the few female jazz artists around (except for those who sing obviously). Julia Hülsmann mentioned above is another example.

I yet have to check out Anat's earlier albums, Peel and A Long Story.

Well if nobody else is taking Bill, I'll sacrifice myself :-)

Just listening to this:

tumblr_m6vgunGQHi1qat741o1_500.jpg

After having participated to probably the greatest Jazz album of all times, Kind of Blue, he came up with this in 1959. Some people have called this album one of the most influential game changers for the Piano Trio. And yet the guy looks like a bored accountant on the picture. What a great album. Look out for the XRCD if you can.

With Bill, it's hard to pick out single records, as pretty much all is good to great. The obvious Waltz for Debby has already been mentioned earlier, so let me suggest some of my personal favorites:

The Bill Evans Album from 1971:

The_Bill_Evans_Album.jpg

Some tracks using an e-piano, which I usually don't like, but this album has so much energy that I don't mind the least.

Interplay (1962)

1292046033_bill_evans__interplay.jpg

Also available as XRCD.

And finally, already discussed on a separate thread:

Consecration Part 2, an album collection with his final live recordings before his drug abuse took him away.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f15-music-general/how-get-hold-bill-evans-consecration-lives-part-2-a-14424/

This incidentally is the thread then that started the idea for this Great Jazz pianist thread.

If you are interested in some revealing, albeit sad reading, I recommend this book:

The Big Love... About and where to Buy | The Big Love - Life and Death with Bill Evans

It is written by Laurie Verchomin, who inspired song "Laurie", and describes the time when above mentioned box was recorded.

Warren Bernhardt Trio: Trio '83. He has played with all the great musicians. The cousin of a colleague, I saw him at the Blue Note in NYC with Eddie Gomez on Bass, ? on drums. I believe he qualifies as one of many under-rated pianists of considerable talent in the Bill Evans tradition. The Blue Note is an intimate room and listening to him live and up close are moments to treasure.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

Warren Bernhardt Trio Trio'83.jpg

Well if nobody else is taking Bill, I'll sacrifice myself :-)

Just listening to this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3632[/ATTACH]

After having participated to probably the greatest Jazz album of all times, Kind of Blue, he came up with this in 1959. Some people have called this album one of the most influential game changers for the Piano Trio. And yet the guy looks like a bored accountant on the picture. What a great album. Look out for the XRCD if you can.

With Bill, it's hard to pick out single records, as pretty much all is good to great. The obvious Waltz for Debby has already been mentioned earlier, so let me suggest some of my personal favorites:

The Bill Evans Album from 1971:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3633[/ATTACH]

Some tracks using an e-piano, which I usually don't like, but this album has so much energy that I don't mind the least.

Interplay (1962)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3634[/ATTACH]

Also available as XRCD.

And finally, already discussed on a separate thread:

Consecration Part 2, an album collection with his final live recordings before his drug abuse took him away.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f15-music-general/how-get-hold-bill-evans-consecration-lives-part-2-a-14424/

This incidentally is the thread then that started the idea for this Great Jazz pianist thread.

If you are interested in some revealing, albeit sad reading, I recommend this book:

The Big Love... About and where to Buy | The Big Love - Life and Death with Bill Evans

It is written by Laurie Verchomin, who inspired song "Laurie", and describes the time when above mentioned box was recorded.

Kind Of Blue remains my favorite album of all time. When I give music to another, Kind Of Blue is the album I gift. In the same, Bill Evans rising to the top of list as my all time favorite jazz pianist. There's no co-incidence (don't believe in coincidences) that Bill Evans is also playing in my favorite album.

On the side of excess, these are only a few other mentions in his discography when so many other remain unmentioned. The depth of his oeuvre is apparent. I have never heard him other than brilliant (excuse my excess):

Enjoy the excess,

Richard

Bill Evans The Complete Riverside Recordings.jpg

Bill Evans Conversations With Myself.jpg

Bill Evans Eloquence.jpg

bill evans new jazz.jpg

Stan Getz & Bill Evans.jpg

Bill Evans Sunday At The Village Vanguard unisai90151.jpg

Bill Evans Trio Live Top Of The Gate.jpg

Bill Evans Trio How My Heart Sings.jpg

Warren Bernhardt Trio: Trio '83. He has played with all the great musicians. The cousin of a colleague, I saw him at the Blue Note in NYC with Eddie Gomez on Bass, ? on drums. I believe he qualifies as one of many under-rated pianists of considerable talent in the Bill Evans tradition. The Blue Note is an intimate room and listening to him live and up close are moments to treasure.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3636[/ATTACH]

I actually have 3 albums of Warren, my first "audiophile" recordings i bought back in the early 90's. Very nice sound quality, but somehow the "spark" is missing a bit for me. Don't go back to these very often, they are a bit too polished.

Marian McPartland's body of work deserves mention. Whether or not she's the greatest, she deserves the recognition as perhaps a stylist and an-in-the-moment pianist that conveys the enormity of jazz improvisation so fecund that a standard or a cover of another composer's work one has heard a 100 times takes on a nuance that McPartland hears and one (we) may be hearing it for the first time. An example of her work: Silent Pool, M.ch SACD

Enjoying hearing the familiar richly, creatively, effortlessly (that qualifies for me as greatness...)

Richard

Marian McPartland.jpg

I actually have 3 albums of Warren, my first "audiophile" recordings i bought back in the early 90's. Very nice sound quality, but somehow the "spark" is missing a bit for me. Don't go back to these very often, they are a bit too polished.

Fair comment as it fits your experience. Perhaps (not contradicting you) the larger body of his work that includes other great musicians he has played with including Gerry Mulligan, Clark Terry, George Benson, Jeremy Steig, Jack DeJohnette reveals more to that polished sound you rightfully describe. In any case, he deserves the mention.

Best,

Richard