IGNORED

Great Jazz Piano Artists - Their “Must Have” Recordings

I actually have 3 albums of Warren, my first "audiophile" recordings i bought back in the early 90's. Very nice sound quality, but somehow the "spark" is missing a bit for me. Don't go back to these very often, they are a bit too polished.

I agree with you. DMP recorded great artists, like the Warren Bernhardt Trio, but until today specs on digital they sound compressed to my ears, like lacking dynamics (and dynamic contrast). But that was the tendency on those days, because recording engineers didn't allow the pointer in the db meter to even touch the "0", since this 'could cause distortion'. Today it's allowed, maybe thanks to better digital recording equipment (and conversion from analog).

I own several DMP's CDs, must of them corroded by some kind of fungus, plus regular aluminum corrosion, thanks to the heat and humidity climate where I live. On this CDs XLD ripper makes an outstanding job (if the CD is on databases).

Roch

Well if nobody else is taking Bill, I'll sacrifice myself :-)

Just listening to this:

After having participated to probably the greatest Jazz album of all times, Kind of Blue, he came up with this in 1959. Some people have called this album one of the most influential game changers for the Piano Trio. And yet the guy looks like a bored accountant on the picture. What a great album. Look out for the XRCD if you can.

With Bill, it's hard to pick out single records, as pretty much all is good to great. The obvious Waltz for Debby has already been mentioned earlier, so let me suggest some of my personal favorites:

The Bill Evans Album from 1971:

Some tracks using an e-piano, which I usually don't like, but this album has so much energy that I don't mind the least.

Interplay (1962)

Also available as XRCD.

And finally, already discussed on a separate thread:

Consecration Part 2, an album collection with his final live recordings before his drug abuse took him away.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f15-music-general/how-get-hold-bill-evans-consecration-lives-part-2-a-14424/

This incidentally is the thread then that started the idea for this Great Jazz pianist thread.

With Evans like Jarrett, they were prolific and there are so many recordings that are above the mark - or tracks within them that are sensational... but then there are those that are exceptional (according to one's ears) that grab you and won't let go... their venture and exploration are addictive - and there is something inexplicably wondrous about them. A depth in their structure and composition that just resonates throughout you.

@Musicophile. If you throw in Evans' The Last Waltz... I think one would be set for life :)

Last Waltz.jpg

Alex

Always on the learning curve...

MBPro i5 > Audioquest Coffee USB > Emotive Audio Customized Valve Preamp > Emotive Audio Custom E-Linear 6L6GA Amp > Modified Custom Quad57s (Wayne Piquet)
HDTracks hi-res "Waltz for Debby", Bill Evans Trio - sorry for the obvious.

I'm not going to list albums by Jarrett or Herbie Hancock - most anything of theirs is great.

Here are a few lesser known albums, though some of the artists are quite well known.

Don Pullen -New Beginnings

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3541[/ATTACH]

Egberto Gismonti, Danca das Cabecas, Part 2 (side 2 on vinyl)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3542[/ATTACH]

side one is also great, but it is basically an acoustic guitar piece. Not many people are as accomplished on 2 different instruments as Gismonti is.

@firedog: Gismonti recorded several innovative keyboard based albums in the 1980s. In some cases it was pure electronic music. In others, he combined advanced technology with acoustic instruments. Some of these outstanding recordings like Fantasia, Cidade Coracao, have not been available outside of Brazil. But, for the most part - at least in terms of this thread - I think he belongs among the innovative jazz guitarists.

Alex

MBPro i5 > Audioquest Coffee USB > Emotive Audio Customized Valve Preamp > Emotive Audio Custom E-Linear 6L6GA Amp > Modified Custom Quad57s (Wayne Piquet)
Fair comment as it fits your experience. Perhaps (not contradicting you) the larger body of his work that includes other great musicians he has played with including Gerry Mulligan, Clark Terry, George Benson, Jeremy Steig, Jack DeJohnette reveals more to that polished sound you rightfully describe. In any case, he deserves the mention.

Best,

Richard

Richard, fully agree that he deserves the mention.

And anyhow, we already seem to have 95% overlap in taste, having 100% agreement would have been too spooky.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3597[/ATTACH]

I recently heard a cut from this wonderful cd on an internet radio station. The song literally snapped me to attention as I was reading. I put my book down, checked out who this pianist was, and found a review or two of "Impromptu". I would encourage you to give this cd a listen. It can be found on MOG and here is one of the reviews I found prior to purchasing.

Bob Mamet: “Impromptu”, jazz review by Dan Bilawsky

Thanks, Melvin. Very... but very nice... Moves you right into his groove.

Alex

@Musicophile: I've tried several times, but never had been able to fully go with Melhdau even knowing that he is exceptional player.

Alex

@Musicophile: I've tried several times, but never had been able to fully go with Melhdau even knowing that he is exceptional player.

Which albums have you tried? I agree that there is a lot of variability in his work. Have you checked any of the albums I called out in my initial post?

At least Art of the Trio vol. 3 is a really great album IMHO.

Which albums have you tried? I agree that there is a lot of variability in his work. Have you checked any of the albums I called out in my initial post?

At least Art of the Trio vol. 3 is a really great album IMHO.

It was some time last year and can't recall the albums or tracks that I listened to... but will def give the Art of The Trio Vol 3... serious listening.

Alex

It was some time last year and can't recall the albums or tracks that I listened to... but will def give the Art of The Trio Vol 3... serious listening.

It's playing on my system right now. I'd be seriously surprised if you wouldnt like this particular album. It is really a nice mixture of influences from both Jarrett and Evans on this.

I'm particularly impressed by Larry Grenadier on bass here. Maybe a starting point for a "great bass players thread"? Charlie Haden, Scott LaFaro, RayBrown, Marc Johnson, ....

...Bill Evans rising to the top of list as my all time favorite jazz pianist. There's no co-incidence (don't believe in coincidences) that Bill Evans is also playing in my favorite album.

On the side of excess, these are only a few other mentions in his discography when so many other remain unmentioned. The depth of his oeuvre is apparent. I have never heard him other than brilliant (excuse my excess):

Enjoy the excess,

Richard

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3637[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3638[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3639[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3640[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3641[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3642[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3643[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3645[/ATTACH]

Richard,

I have been following your Bill Evans posts with great interest. I know you have a vast collection and in many cases own several formats of the same recording. Can you please give me some recommendations on your favorite formats for a few of the must have Bill Evans recordings? Although I have switched to a MBP running Amarra and longer have a "real" CD player (other than my Oppo 93, which I am not impressed with), I would entertain buying a good SACD player if need be to get the best SQ. I am interested in starting with:

[h=1]The Complete Village Vanguard Recordings[/h][h=1]Last Waltz: Final Recordings Live[/h][h=1]The Complete Riverside Recordings[/h][h=1]Consecration: The Final Recordings Part 2[/h]Todd

[h=1][/h]

2012 MBP (OSX 10.11 and Amarra Symphony w/IRC)-> Revelation Dual Conduit USB -> Berkeley Alpha USB -> Verastarr Silver Signature AES -> Devialet D250-> Siltech 550L -> KEF 104/2 (Steve Nugent Custom).

Power conditioning Audience Adept AR2p -> Verastarr Grand Illusion, Siltech Explorer 270p and Crystal Cable Standard Diamond

Analog: VPI Classic 3, Sumiko Pearwood Celebration ii, Siltech 770i RCA

It's playing on my system right now. I'd be seriously surprised if you wouldnt like this particular album. It is really a nice mixture of influences from both Jarrett and Evans on this.

I'm particularly impressed by Larry Grenadier on bass here. Maybe a starting point for a "great bass players thread"? Charlie Haden, Scott LaFaro, RayBrown, Marc Johnson, ....

While you are mentioning Charlie Haden, I think his bass playing goes great with a pianist as a duo. His two albums with Hank Jones are great piano records:

51cYrPoJFXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

51wS5gq6gpL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

And also Charlie Haden and Keith Jarrett's Jasmine album:

51aY5JnLtmL._SS500_.jpg

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot

While you are mentioning Charlie Haden, I think his bass playing goes great with a pianist as a duo. His two albums with Hank Jones are great piano records:

And also Charlie Haden and Keith Jarrett's Jasmine album:

I love Charlie Haden! The perfect match for the left hand of any great jazz piano player.

Roch

This thread may be very interesting in that it presences and distinguishes the different levels of playing... that there is a strong representation, a clear marking of great or promising players... but then there is that which is extraordinary... that has never been quite like that before. I think we may be surprised that there are only a handful if that.

Alex

Hey guys, you are making me spending more money!

Now downloading "Consecration Part 2".

This remember me a quote from when I was a 'serious and dedicated fisherman': "The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing." ~ Herber Hoover.

We can adapt this to: "The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in listening to music."

Life is so short and music so nice, thanks anyway...

Roch

Todd,

Happy to respond. It's late and the DreamTime is calling me. I will return on Monday and respond. Of course we have fine circle of contributors at this thread who can, if they care to as well, also give you the benefit of their listening experience and taste. Until then...

Richard

Isn't this one part of the Consecration box?

From Amazon.com notes.

Best,

Richard

Box set for Consecration 8 Discs: Milestone's second eight-disc collection of Bill Evans's next-to-last nightclub engagement at San Francisco's Keystone Korner contains some of the influential jazz pianist's most creative and impassioned playing extant. Inspired by his strong and fervently supportive rhythm section of bassist Marc Johnson and drummer Joe LaBarbera, each selection on these eight discs attests to the pianist's vitally transformed style. Evans's singular, pastel-tinted chord voicings now emerge in bolder, primary colors, and his penchant for rhythmically displacing phrases against the basic meter reaches dizzying heights. Note the jagged urgency of his extended piano intro to "My Romance" (in no less than six similar yet never redundant versions), the newfound dynamism in ballads like "Polka Dots and Moonbeams" and "My Foolish Heart," and plenty of hard, unfettered swinging. After a hailstorm of notes gush from Evans's solo on "Someday My Prince Will Come," it as if Clark Kent has changed into Superman before your eyes and ears. Such uplifting artistry is amazing from a pianist who was seriously ill and had less than two weeks to live.

Bill Evans Trio Consecration.jpg

Box set for The Last Waltz 8 Discs: This eight-CD set was recorded at San Francisco's Keystone Korner between August 31 and September 8, 1980, just a week before Evans's death on September 15. With Evans were bassist Marc Johnson and drummer Joe LaBarbera. It was an unusually well-balanced rhythm team for the pianist, perhaps the best combination of talents since he first developed his trio style with Scott LaFaro and Paul Motian two decades before. They provide Evans with responsive support that can shift from the quietest underpinnings to aggressive stimulation. There's often a characteristic movement here from introspective solo passages to vigorous trio dialogues that shows just how hard Evans could swing when he had the right drummer.

bill evans trio the last waltz.jpg

Without getting so deep into his oeuvre and just adding a few more to Oscar Peterson's already excellent references in this thread:

Very Tall

Oscar Peterson Very Tall.jpg

Nigerian Marketplace

Oscar Peterson Nigerian Marketplace.jpg

The Complete Clef/Mercury Rec. Of Oscar Peterson Trio

Oscar Peterson The Complete Mrc Cleft.jpg

Hope I am within the guidelines in acknowledging Jimmy Smith on the Hammond B-3:

Angel Eyes

Enjoy the music,

Richard

Jimmy Smith angel eyes.jpg

Without getting so deep into his oeuvre and just adding a few more to Oscar Peterson's already excellent references in this thread:

Very Tall

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3666[/ATTACH]

Nigerian Marketplace

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3667[/ATTACH]

The Complete Clef/Mercury Rec. Of Oscar Peterson Trio

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3668[/ATTACH]

Agree with all of the above. Oscar is one of the few where you can pretty much buy everything.

Hope I am within the guidelines in acknowledging Jimmy Smith on the Hammond B-3:

Angel Eyes

Enjoy the music,

Richard

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3669[/ATTACH]

Welll, an Organ got keys as well right? And opening up a hammond thread probably doesn't make sense, it would be rather short.

From Amazon.com notes.

Best,

Richard

Box set for Consecration 8 Discs: Milestone's second eight-disc collection of Bill Evans's next-to-last nightclub engagement at San Francisco's Keystone Korner contains some of the influential jazz pianist's most creative and impassioned playing extant. Inspired by his strong and fervently supportive rhythm section of bassist Marc Johnson and drummer Joe LaBarbera, each selection on these eight discs attests to the pianist's vitally transformed style. Evans's singular, pastel-tinted chord voicings now emerge in bolder, primary colors, and his penchant for rhythmically displacing phrases against the basic meter reaches dizzying heights. Note the jagged urgency of his extended piano intro to "My Romance" (in no less than six similar yet never redundant versions), the newfound dynamism in ballads like "Polka Dots and Moonbeams" and "My Foolish Heart," and plenty of hard, unfettered swinging. After a hailstorm of notes gush from Evans's solo on "Someday My Prince Will Come," it as if Clark Kent has changed into Superman before your eyes and ears. Such uplifting artistry is amazing from a pianist who was seriously ill and had less than two weeks to live.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3663[/ATTACH]

Box set for The Last Waltz 8 Discs: This eight-CD set was recorded at San Francisco's Keystone Korner between August 31 and September 8, 1980, just a week before Evans's death on September 15. With Evans were bassist Marc Johnson and drummer Joe LaBarbera. It was an unusually well-balanced rhythm team for the pianist, perhaps the best combination of talents since he first developed his trio style with Scott LaFaro and Paul Motian two decades before. They provide Evans with responsive support that can shift from the quietest underpinnings to aggressive stimulation. There's often a characteristic movement here from introspective solo passages to vigorous trio dialogues that shows just how hard Evans could swing when he had the right drummer.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3664[/ATTACH]

Looks like the answer is yes...

Forgot somebody: Gene Harris!

He's been discussed on this forum several times, and seems to have received unanimous praise, which I'm happy to join.

If this doesn't get your foot tapping, I don't know what does.

I can recommend the following 2 albums:

Listen here

0013c700_medium.jpg

Plus One

MI0001730103.jpg

Both have excellent sonics, and I believe them to be available on SACD. However, haven't seen any hi res downloads of the albums yet.

Forgot somebody: Gene Harris!

He's been discussed on this forum several times, and seems to have received unanimous praise, which I'm happy to join.

If this doesn't get your foot tapping, I don't know what does.

I can recommend the following 2 albums:

Listen here

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3670[/ATTACH]

Plus One

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3671[/ATTACH]

Both have excellent sonics, and I believe them to be available on SACD. However, haven't seen any hi res downloads of the albums yet.

Back to 100%: I have both Harris titles.

TGHT+1 in Hybrid SACD with Misty as one of the tracks. The plus one being Stanley Turrentine, who I heard live in D.C. with his then quartet. He played for 90 minutes and our host ordered champagne for the entire set. Wow (not the champagne). The inimitable Ray Brown on bass, Hamilton et al. I'll join you in your praise here. What was I thinking?

Best,

Richard

Charles Earland on the Hammond B-3 (not ignoring the other great Hammond B-3 musicians just keeping the posts lean but rich in content). Greatest as a criterion may be so subjective an assessment as to either challenge the ear or the sensibilities, so I'll just be either OT (on) or OT (off).

Enjoying the music,

Richard

Black Talk

Charles Earland Black Talk.jpg

Cookin' with The Mighty Burner

Charles Earland Cookin' With The Mighty Burner.jpg

Good News From Africa_Dollar Brand.jpg

Dollar Brand (now Abdullah Ibrahim), with his very own style on piano jazz, and plays a lot of instruments. This is my preferred one from him. I own the LP since a long time and until 2008 the CD, when issued.

Roch

PS/ He adopted his muslim name a long time ago, before the muslim terrorist era.