IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

Dear Eloise,

Minisever already installed in the Synology Nas..

Everiything, now, is fine.. Sound is beautiful..smooth!

Great, Lumin!

Thank You very much for the Help and precious informations.

All the Best!

Ignazio

Glad you got it sorted and I was able to help.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

• 2 weeks later...

My new Lumin sees both JRiver and Minimserver servers and plays from the JRiver library (gloriously) Lumin as a zone. Firmware 5.08, App 3.0.4. Huge step-up from tweaked Macs and Window Server 2012 etc. I have 2 problems for which I'd be grateful for suggestions/hints:

App problem: Selecting a playlist just results in the playing now icon cycling through the playlist in succession. Nothing plays irrespective of server. I use the app only for settings, which seems a shame.

DAC problem: BNC digital out to external DAC (DEQX HDP-4) suffers frequent dropouts at anything over 16/44.1. I can't use the Lumin DAC because it's 2-ch.

Thanks

App problem: Selecting a playlist just results in the playing now icon cycling through the playlist in succession. Nothing plays irrespective of server. I use the app only for settings, which seems a shame.

Thanks

I've experienced this problems several times and, although I don't know the root cause, it appears to be because some characteristic of the file naming or extension has changed since the music was imported or the files were not in the original location. I was able to restore normal operation by either deleting the folder/files in question and adding them back and asking the Lumin application to reload or update the music library.

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

Have you checked that it is not set to convert DSD to PCM under the app's options?

Mine shows DSD/1 bit. What additional bits of information are shown in the top left window?

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

I've experienced this problems several times and, although I don't know the root cause, it appears to be because some characteristic of the file naming or extension has changed since the music was imported or the files were not in the original location. I was able to restore normal operation by either deleting the folder/files in question and adding them back and asking the Lumin application to reload or update the music library.

This happens when the uPnP server is not found.

US companies, living on venture capital largesse, will all get their butts kicked. Someone needs to simply buy Squeezebox Touch from Logitech, then re-brand and relaunch it. Price point $300-$500, before Simple Audio (UK/Scotland) arrives.

Source: TIDAL HiFi/Masters, Pandora One > iPeng 9.2.1 on iPhone6s/iPad

Great Room: SBT#1 > Cullen Coax > PS Audio DL3 DAC > Audio Envy cables > Martin Logan (ML) 200Wpc Purity.

SBT#2 >JVC 110w amp > ML Motion 4 & AudioEngine 5.

Garage: SBT3 > Audioquest TOS > Wyred mINT > Cullen Cables > Martin Logan Motion 12

Carry Anywhere: TIDAL/Pandora >iPhone 6s > Bose Mini Bluetooth speaker.

This happens when the uPnP server is not found.

Note that some servers, notably Twonky, change the file uri/location after a restart. This doesnt happen with Minimserver, but I'm not sure about Jriver.

Thanks BlueSkyy, Distinctive & Bloodwound, this solved both my problems. Deleting & rebuilding playlists restored functionality & with it no dropouts using Minimserver. I was using JRiver because of tagging issued logged by Minimserver (caused by a Jriver bug, ironically).

Now I'm on a roll, Lumin say this about UPnP browsing. "By tapping on [folder view] you can drill down through physical folders on the server, so you can organise your own structure . As an example, you could have folders named DSD/High Res/Redbook/Lossy, etc. to achieve something not possible with normal browsing.

I'd like that but how to do it? I have UPnP search on but a whole list of random albums in that folder view that I have no idea where they came from.

Thanks

Martin

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks BlueSkyy, Distinctive & Bloodwound, this solved both my problems. Deleting & rebuilding playlists restored functionality & with it no dropouts using Minimserver. I was using JRiver because of tagging issued logged by Minimserver (caused by a Jriver bug, ironically).

Now I'm on a roll, Lumin say this about UPnP browsing. "By tapping on [folder view] you can drill down through physical folders on the server, so you can organise your own structure . As an example, you could have folders named DSD/High Res/Redbook/Lossy, etc. to achieve something not possible with normal browsing.

I'd like that but how to do it? I have UPnP search on but a whole list of random albums in that folder view that I have no idea where they came from.

Thanks

Martin

OK, I worked that out for myself. It's about custom tagging in Minimserver & there's a new thread on Minimserver forum about that.

Now, the Lumin App - what's with the constant spinning wheel to the right of the selected view (File, Album, Genre)? Mine never stops, like it's constantly searching the NAS or rebuilding the database. Any ideas? Kinsky doesn't do it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I have a questen i have been thinking about. Is it possible to use lumin for movie audio, without any delay to the picture. i currently use a htpc for music and video, connected to my eximus dp1 dac.

In my question i assume that it is possible to playback video on my htpc and stream the audio to lumin player.

Is it possible?

FWIW, I tried the ARIES -> EmmLabs XDS1v2 (same as Dac2x) over the weekend with two outputs: SPDIF and USB. I found the former sounded more forward and "crisp" (not overly so) than the latter which was more relaxed but had female sibilance that was just a tad too soft when compared to the former. The mini sounded more like ARIES over SPDIF than over USB (playing with Audirvana 2.0.4). See my profile for system details.

Thanks for this important feedback.

In fact, the difference is so marked that I think Auralic (Mr. Wang) should check why the differences are so significant.

Hi

I have a questen i have been thinking about. Is it possible to use lumin for movie audio, without any delay to the picture. i currently use a htpc for music and video, connected to my eximus dp1 dac.

In my question i assume that it is possible to playback video on my htpc and stream the audio to lumin player.

Is it possible?

Anyone?

Hi

Is it possible?

I don't know for sure Langendorf, but LUMIN can accept a stream from UPnP or Airplay, so if you can get your HTPC to deliver the movie audio in either of those while keeping the video to itself, I can't see why it wouldn't work.

It's not something I've done (although I have watched iPad videos with the audio going to LUMIN).

My feeling is that Airplay is the way to go, as it automatically takes over the LUMIN Play Queue. You'll be limited to 16bit 44KHz, but that shouldn't be a problem.

Associated with LUMIN - The Audiophile Network Music Player.

I am running Lumin with Minimserver on Synology DS1815 and the Lumin app . I am about to acquire a large number of WAV file that have been ripped from CDs. They are organized by artist and album. I use BLISS to automatically tag my music and find album art. My concern is whether I can successfuly tag WAV files using BLISS or some other tool If not, then I need to consider converting to another format that is more tag friendly (ALAC, FLAC, etc). If I need to convert I am interested in knowing if there are any tools that would allow a batch convert of all the files. Has anyone run into this issue before and what approaches were successful such that these albums show up on the Lumin app in the artist and album listings...I am still a little bit of a newbie on this...but very willing to learn. Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi. WAV files don't support tags. And you will have problems with display in Lumin App of performers and names of albums. It is better to use FLAC and to register tags what you will consider the necessary. I use for this JRiver but also Foobar2000 is possible. There it is possible to register or change tags and in DSF files. I pay your attention that DFF as well as WAV don't support tags.

[video=youtube_share;qVnQAJw_NRI]http://youtu.be/qVnQAJw_NRI

Hi psme. Thanks for your work. After the Lumin App 3.0.6 updating the image still badly works. After I wrote down new albums MinimServer rescan even after reset of Qnap doesn't work at Qnap. Only Update Music Library works and it is necessary to make it after reset 2 times and only then I have new albums. Such wasn't on Lumin App 3.0.4. Correct please. Thanks Nikolay.