IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

I will try to use BubbleUPnP Server created OpenHome renderer for a while and check if any issue.

@pisatel, the cover image delay is due to the now playing (upper left corner) image is always fetched from the server each time. If the cover image is large (few hundreds KB to MB etc), it may take a few seconds to load, especially on a weak wi-fi speed setup. Will try to think of some way to speed up the process...

Psme. That playlist handling bug was introduced with 3.0.7. Version 3.0.6 worked fine. I can also verify that it is a problem with upmpdcli. Haven't tried https://github.com/PeteManchester/MediaPlayer yet. iOS 8.1.1/iPad 4.

Also 3.0.4 (if I remember correctly) didn't have the cover image bug. The delay is not the problem. The problem is that it shows an empty picture and then the actual cover image scrolls up , over the empty picture.

Yay!

@pisatel, what you shown is the correct behavior!

The top left corner "now playing" artwork is displayed immediately, is because the full artwork is already loaded in the app, when the track became the "now playing" track. For example, if the now playing track changes to a new track with a new artwork, you will see the top left corner artwork will take 1 or 2 seconds to be shown, because the app will load the live artwork from the server.

But, all the other artwork you see in the app, are just a cached scaled down, size reduced version (in order to save storage space on the iPad and to speed up operation). When you do a tap-and-hold and tap the full screen artwork, the app will again ask the server for a live full resolution artwork, which takes some time.

There is no perfect solution. We can either:

- always use cached artwork, operation will be faster, but quality may be lower

- always store full resolution full quality artwork on iPad, operation will be slower, needs more iPad storage space

IMO, I don't think it's a big issue anyway. There are still lots of more important work to be done...

associated with LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

• 2 weeks later...

I installed firmware 6.0 on my S1 expecting maybe some fixes or enhancements I could use only to find that the purpose of the firmware was to allow me to spend money on some streaming service called Tidal. Oh well.......

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

LUMIN app TIDAL integration also works on a LINN renderer.

On Android, you can also use BubbleDS Next app's TIDAL support on LUMIN renderer with the new firmware.

I installed firmware 6.0 on my S1 expecting maybe some fixes or enhancements I could use only to find that the purpose of the firmware was to allow me to spend money on some streaming service called Tidal. Oh well.......

Hi. And you can write that didn't arrange you in the previous version of the software. Thanks.

Do Aries work with BubbleDS Next for TIDAL integration? Both LUMIN app and BubbleDS Next app use the same protocol for TIDAL integration. Linn Kazoo app also use similar protocol, but sadly Kazoo also check if it's a Linn renderer, so it won't work on LUMIN renderer!

Thanks for the latest update with TIDAL implementation. Works great!!

Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not." — Nelson Pass

@Distinctive, are you using a LUMIN renderer with firmware 6.0? (Or a LINN renderer with latest firmware?) BubbleDS Next TIDAL integration work with LUMIN renderer, meaning after you added and playing TIDAL content on LUMIN, the playlist playback will continue, even you completely killed BubbleDS app or totally shutdown the Android device.

Ok, I see the confusion (I think).

I thought it was clear that I used the A1 (post #860).

Tidal works great with Lumin - Lumin, but not Lumin - Aries. If you look at the pix you see that the Tidal icon is not shown in the Lumin app the moment you select Aries as the renderer (#862) and reappear the moment you select the A1 as the renderer.

@Distinctive, maybe it's me causing some confusion? We already tried to be more compatible with existing software/hardware on the market, that's why we use the open protocol same as Linn is using. Hence BubbleDS Next app works with LUMIN renderer, and LUMIN app works with Linn renderer. LUMIN app does not work with other pproprietary system (Aries etc) is not really a LUMIN app problem...

I can appreciate this, but I don't understand your comment about the Lumin app not being compatible with the Aries? The Aries is OH compliant and works well with the Lumin app. The issue under discussion is why I can't get Tidal to work with this combination. For the record Tidal is well implemented on the Aries when using their Lightning DS app so it is not a big deal, really.

I do not rule out that it is an interoperable problem residing on the Aries side, but I was just puzzled why it didn't work and wanted to explore the reason.......

@pmse

Is there any likelihood that in the future Lumin (app) will read ArtistSort, AlbumSort, etc tags so that music is organised as I want it rather than as the app decides? Yes I know I could use "folder" view but that's not the answer to the question as in folder view I'd rather just use Kinsky or Kazoo.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

@Distinctive, sorry, I meant the method of accessing TIDAL login/account information is proprietary between Aries and it's controller app, I think! I don't have a Aries, hence I ask if Aries works with BubbleDS Next app for TIDAL integration. If it works, it should work with LUMIN app.