IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

DFF do not support any tags

DSF support tags.

Anyway, to have an album picture, just put an image folder.jpg in the same folder as the tracks. The picture must have this name: folder.jpg

IMHO, it is a bad idea to integrate pictures in an audio file.

Thierry

When there are norms and standards, yes. When there are not, I do not like.

What is the maximum image size in a Flac? AIF? 1MB, 10MB, 1 GB?

I would have appreciated to also integrate the names, addresses, birth dates, hobbies, of the audience at Woodstock :)

Even some tags in AIF files raise issues, Jriver, Foobar, Lumin, etc.

If you were talking about renderers that provide the image on a screen (which is not a good idea IMHO), to be included in the file or outside is the same. If the image is too big, you can break gapless, because image and audio takes the same Ethernet path.

Let us talk about a container as MKV for video, with audio, pictureS, PDF: OK. But to include different data types in the file is not, IMHO, a good format, for any computer development, or with very strong norms, then it is OK

Kind regards.

Thierry

When there are norms and standards, yes. When there are not, I do not like.

What is the maximum image size in a Flac? AIF? 1MB, 10MB, 1 GB?

I would have appreciated to also integrate the names, addresses, birth dates, hobbies, of the audience at Woodstock :)

Even some tags in AIF files raise issues, Jriver, Foobar, Lumin, etc.

If you were talking about renderers that provide the image on a screen (which is not a good idea IMHO), to be included in the file or outside is the same. If the image is too big, you can break gapless, because image and audio takes the same Ethernet path.

Let us talk about a container as MKV for video, with audio, pictureS, PDF: OK. But to include different data types in the file is not, IMHO, a good format, for any computer development, or with very strong norms, then it is OK

Kind regards.

Max image size doesn't have to matter if the renderer is designed to handle reasonable sized images. I can send files with several large embedded images to a JRiver renderer without breaking gapless whereas most Bridge Co / Stream Unlimited products will choke on the files. Different data types shouldn't matter. I want to store all kinds of stuff inside the file. This reduces complexity greatly. For example the file named folder.jpg is different from the file named Folder.jpg and both are different from FOLDER.jpg. Setting an app like MPaD to find this album art doesn't work because it can only look for one filename. Not the best design, but it wouldn't matter if everything was embedded.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Don't worry, LUMIN is a good renderer! Embedded artwork size doesn't matter!

Whether to use embedded artwork, or standalone artwork file, depends on one's preference and practice I guess. If you often move audio file between systems, then embedded artwork is more convenience.

associated with LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

• 2 weeks later...

Hi psme,

Regarding your plugin for Foobar for conversion of DSD to FLAC files, is it a possibility that function can be extended to ALAC or even AIFF format?

Thanks

J

Macbook Pro/MacMini/dCS Debussy/Cambridge 650BD[br]Vitus Audio SS-010/Living Voice OBX-R2 Speakers/Ultrasone Edition 8 phones[br]Airport Express/Meridian AD88[br]

Hi psme,

Regarding your plugin for Foobar for conversion of DSD to FLAC files, is it a possibility that function can be extended to ALAC or even AIFF format?

Thanks

J

The foobar2000 DoP file output plugin is independent of output file format. You can set the output file format in any PCM lossless type, including WAV, AIFF, FLAC and ALAC (or even APE or TTA I guess!).

do you intend to propose a DSD5.6 / DSD128 compatible version of the Lumin ? (with other DAC chips ?) is it useful ?

The face is there is really not much DSD128 content. (yes, I understand some want to do everything to DSD128 upsampling...)

We want to try our best on the most available content first. When more and more DSD128 content becomes available, I'm sure there will be even better hardware to support those new formats!

In the meanwhile, tons of redbook CD, hi-res PCM and SACD rip to be enjoyed! :)

• 3 weeks later...

hi djvitamind,

Yes, you can remove those "grayed out" music library from LUMIN app.

In the list of music library, select a "grayed out" library. LUMIN app will show the cached library content. Then go to the Music Library->Options->Remove Music Library. Then LUMIN app will delete all cached data of that library from the iPad.

• 2 weeks later...
Dear All,

After almost three weeks of hard work, the final ultimate version LPS for Lumin is out!!

Handcrafted by myself in Hong Kong, and finally bring Lumin to another world!

Attached some pictures for your reference!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6424[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6425[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6426[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6427[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6428[/ATTACH]

yes, upgrading the PSU brings gains in transparency and details !

Lumin1.jpg

the PSU upgrade seems to peel a layer of noise from the sound allowing more of the music to be heard, another difference is how much grip and control the power supply gave to the bass, the music has a more threedimensional feel..

thank you, Kenneth !

Did the price go up from $4K to over $7K????

Norman, yes, the intro price (Lumin always said it was intro) was below $3900, then it went to $5500 and now it's at $7200 list. !

For those of you that have used the unit, is it worth $7k?

You may want to read Chris' review...

Computer Audiophile - Lumin Network Music Player Review

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.