IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

Thanks PSME.

Double check before upgrading to next firmware :)

Would it be possible to have a download link for those (Cubase is a friend of mine) who do not have an iPad?

A http server for configuration would be nice for such people who already have Android stuff.

Maybe it would be faster to develop than an android application...

Kind regards

Thierry

But that only means old DoP file cannot use on other USB dsd dac without lumin?

Not exactly true. With a USB DAC on a PC/Mac, when playing a native DSD file (.dff .dsf or ISO etc), the software player (foobar2000, jRiver etc) will do realtime DSD to DoP conversion. You don't need a pre-generated DoP file. It's a completely different operation.

associated with LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

Not exactly true. With a USB DAC on a PC/Mac, when playing a native DSD file (.dff .dsf or ISO etc), the software player (foobar2000, jRiver etc) will do realtime DSD to DoP conversion. You don't need a pre-generated DoP file. It's a completely different operation.

i have a question. Actually can I use/fit these pre-generated DoP files for other DSD USB DAC?

My understanding the advantage of using DoP files in lumin is they allows me using sophisticated tagging? Onces I tagged them well sure I don't want to tag those dff/dsf files again in other software.

thanks.

Well, if you want to use those DoP files on a generic USB DAC, then you need to redo them. I guess you need to start with the original DSD file (ISO/DSF/DFF), with the new plugin to create a new DoP file. Assuming your DoP file is in FLAC/ALAC format, then you can use MP3TAG, open the OLD DoP file in FLAC/ALAC, which is already tagged, select all files, do a "Tag Copy" in MP3TAG. Then open the NEW DoP file (with no tag yet), select all files (make sure the file list order is the same as old file), do a "Tag Paste" in MP3TAG to copy tag in old DoP file to new DoP file.

Well, if you want to use those DoP files on a generic USB DAC, then you need to redo them. I guess you need to start with the original DSD file (ISO/DSF/DFF), with the new plugin to create a new DoP file. Assuming your DoP file is in FLAC/ALAC format, then you can use MP3TAG, open the OLD DoP file in FLAC/ALAC, which is already tagged, select all files, do a "Tag Copy" in MP3TAG. Then open the NEW DoP file (with no tag yet), select all files (make sure the file list order is the same as old file), do a "Tag Paste" in MP3TAG to copy tag in old DoP file to new DoP file.

Thanks! psme.

Kevin

LUMIN firmware 3.01 is out! Remember to also update LUMIN app to the latest version to see the new DoP option.

Since a major DoP marker bug is fixed, now LUMIN works with MinimServer DoP transcode and jRiver DoPE (DoP over Ethernet).

With the latest jRiver version, when DoPE is enabled (Tools->Options->Media Network->Add or Configure DLNA servers->Advanced->Bitstream DSD (requires DoPE compliant renderer)), you can directly play a SACD ISO file to LUMIN in native DSD bitstream mode.

Enjoy! :)

Streaming from SACD ISO in Jriver DoPE mode works!!!!!!!!!!!!

No mode DoP needed, no more DSF extracts!

For me it is a giant step and a huge simplification.

GREAT!!

if you could put the firmware online, it would be great for people like Cubase who do not have an iPad.

Best and kind regards

Thierry

Hello psme. Thanks for Lumin. With the last insertion and after warming up a sound not transmitted. The bass, permission, tembralny reliability, width and depth of a scene are indescribable. I have DSD rip Sony about 120 already and all increase. Thanks.

Dear all,

I've built a Audioplile Linear power supply and handmade a DC cable with 6N OCC copper wire for lumin, the result is great!

This is the version one I made, super low noise, plug & play with better performance than the stock one!

The performance result is better than ever, high becomes more open, a more sweet midrange, and the bass becomes more solid. The background is much much more darker and more clean than before!

This power supply squeeze out the performance of the Lumin!

I will build another one later call version II by using a better ultra low noise regulators and a smaller size case for a better performance and outlook.

971451_663493090331450_572584641_n.jpg

The size of the aluminium case used in this project is around W190mm H70mm D310mm

1010761_663493103664782_1441962017_n.jpg

The same DC output socket used in Lumin's stock power supply

954838_663493140331445_1540911547_n.jpg

100VA Hi-Fi grade O-Type transformer and super low noise regulators

1012368_663493273664765_1808990792_n.jpg

Another look of the power supply

5825_663493303664762_414509077_n.jpg

The new power supply with Lumin

993587_664090573605035_1454887261_n.jpg

Handmade 6N OCC copper DC cable for Lumin

969708_664090590271700_149345424_n.jpg

The set of power supply and the DC cable

Thanks for looking!

Regrads,

Kenneth Lau

Excellent! That´s one of the thing I look for to make the Lumin really shine. Maybe two Rcore transformers, mkp and pio decoupling capacitors... Looking inside some of the most musical gears tells what are the best ideas for the best power supplies, I love the Lumin and the outside power supply is an opportunity for diyers, and for Lumin itself...maybe... :-)

MSB Reference> Ypsilon Aelius 2 >Vivid G1 or Andra3

HQPlayer >Diretta DST>Holo May>Holo Serene>Kinki ex-m7>Leedh e2 glass or DIY (Davis/Heil).

Excellent! That´s one of the thing I look for to make the Lumin really shine. Maybe two Rcore transformers, mkp and pio decoupling capacitors... Looking inside some of the most musical gears tells what are the best ideas for the best power supplies, I love the Lumin and the outside power supply is an opportunity for diyers, and for Lumin itself...maybe... :-)

Hi Nicoben45,

Thanks for your reply, yet, the R-core is not good as my custom bulit O-Type transformer, I test it before, O-Type is the best one, much more musical and details, trust me!

Regards,

Kenneth Lau

@LA1209

Do you plan to have them built on a larger scale than DIY and sell them?

Best and kind regards

Hi ThierryNK,

I've sourced 10 sets of parts, and planning to build an upgrade version II belong with handmade 1M long 6N OCC copper DC cable and a custom made smaller size full aluminium chassis, anyone have interest can PM me for details. Thanks for interested.

Regards,

Kenneth Lau

Parts for version II are all ready!

992889_665549346792491_1115795020_n.jpg

New ultra low noise regulator of version II

1000163_665549296792496_453108970_n.jpg

Precision parts used on the regulator, Vishay MRS-25, Vishay ERO MKP, custom order Tantalum Capacitor, Panasonic FC, etc...

971647_665549366792489_605707575_n.jpg

Tiny size with ultimate performance

1014254_665549350125824_343388668_n.jpg

944712_665549436792482_2145484498_n.jpg

Hi Nicoben45,

Thanks for your reply, yet, the R-core is not good as my custom bulit O-Type transformer, I test it before, O-Type is the best one, much more musical and details, trust me!

Regards,

Kenneth Lau

Well if everything has been tested, I can trust you (but earth have many power supply models with many différent résults in term of quality of music reproduction) I am just a bit afraid because what matter once is the musicality, and I have had some smal ones with the best régulators ever made, the best performance that can be measured but it wasn't enough to give musicality, only performance was here, like many digital gears in the world as you for sure know, so for me no matter at all of the case dimensions to have this...:-) I am not a power supply maker so.... but some of the best ones I have heard in term of musicality are made of much more capacitors , research for best découpling capacitors, for some we can find coke bottles of mkp capacitors to give the right energy, to come close to a battery supply, and one power transformer per rule for example.

These are questions of course, for the best :-)

Regards, Nicolas.

MSB Reference> Ypsilon Aelius 2 >Vivid G1 or Andra3

HQPlayer >Diretta DST>Holo May>Holo Serene>Kinki ex-m7>Leedh e2 glass or DIY (Davis/Heil).

Lunim v/s WEISS 301 v/s Aurender v/s....

Gentlemen, may be you can help me to choose. I am hesitating between several solutions for my next Audio Server. I don't want a PC based solution but a physical server like this one.

In my list are the LUMIN, but also the WEISS 301 (with or without internal DAC), the Aurender, and the QAT M5, and to some extend the Audioresearch REF DAC. I am forgetting some ??

I know that the various solutions are note in the same price range, the WEISS 301 being the maximum price that I can afford. LUMIN and WEISS are the two DSD capable, which is a plus (in a long terme vue).

Question is: Does the LUMIN reach the same sound quality than the WEISS that cost twice ? Does Lumin sound better than the AUrender S10 that has a very nice iPAD interface, internal storage and a long track record (but... no DAC and no DSD so far) ?

Are you sure that the Weiss supports DSD?

Weiss :: High End : MAN301 NETWORK PLAYER

The Aurender is not a network player. 1/ tracks decoding is made inside the Aurender and the audio fux has to be transported by SPDIF or AES/EBU to a DAC 2/ it does not include a DAC.

The Aurender is in fact a computer by itself, with a motherboard, a processor, memory, hard drives, a SSD and an Operating System.

The need to transport audio flux to a DAC is the drawback that network players solve

With Network players as the Lumin or the Weiss 301, you need a UPNP server (software) that runs on a PC, a Mac of a NAS.

For products comparisons, it may be difficult to find people who have a Lumin AND a WEISS 301 or an Aurender with an external DAC.

Best regards

Thierry

In a similar vein to those listed: Linn Akurate and Klimax DS and Naim NDS and NDX. I'm hearing good reports of the new T+A streamer too. The Marantz NA11-S1 is getting great reviews too.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

In a similar vein to those listed: Linn Akurate and Klimax DS and Naim NDS and NDX. I'm hearing good reports of the new T+A streamer too. The Marantz NA11-S1 is getting great reviews too.

Eloise

None of these do DSD over network.