IGNORED

Article: Computer Audiophile Pocket Server C.A.P.S. v3 Carbon

Stupid question, but if you are not doing USB and you also want the machine to do ripping, etc...why did you come to the conclusion that a CAPS Carbon is it??

Good question. There may be better solutions out there, but I'm not aware of them. CAPS interests me due to the impressive research, intergrated design, and testing done by Chris for my desired use (audiophile music server). Carbon seems right due to internal real estate and PCI connections most likely supports my Lynx card and CD Drive - but I'm not sure, so therefore my questions. Since I wont be using USB fo rmusic (for now), I would not puchase the SOTM USB card.

I'm open to any other suggestions people have.

Thanks!

out: Windows 7 > jriver mc14 > asio4all > Lynx AES16e > Redco custom Gotham AES/EBU cable (70ft) > Antelope DA Clock > Harmonic Technologies Magic Digital 1 AES/EBU cable > Berkeley Alpha DAC > AudioQuest Cheetah RCA interconnects > NuForce Ref 9 v2 SE amps > Nordost Red Dawn II speaker cables > Magnepan 3.6R speakers.[br]vinyl in: Lucid AD9624 > Redco custom Gotham AES/EBU cable > Lynx AES16e > Windows 7 > Goldwave

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chris

A couple of questions on the RWA battery supply:

- if you have fed the mother board and the USB board from the RWA, then what is powering the SSD? The Mobo?

- would the dual battery Black Lightening (one for the motherboard, one the USB card) make only a marginal difference to how long it can play while not charging - I assume almost all the 25 watts is the motherboard?

Thanks

Source: Pink Faun Ultra - Chord DAVE

Amps: VTV Purifi

Speakers: Trenner and Friedel RA

Cables : JCAT reference USB, Tellerium XLR, Kubula-Sosna Elation speaker

Plus CEC TL 5 Cd transport - Blackcat Tron BNC - Chord DAVE

Hi Chris

A couple of questions on the RWA battery supply:

- if you have fed the mother board and the USB board from the RWA, then what is powering the SSD? The Mobo?

- would the dual battery Black Lightening (one for the motherboard, one the USB card) make only a marginal difference to how long it can play while not charging - I assume almost all the 25 watts is the motherboard?

Thanks

Hi Kaka - The motherboard has several DC to DC converters to convert power from the RWA supply to the other components such as SSD.

The dual battery unit doesn't separate the output for the MB and USB card. It just gives you longer battery life.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Hi Chris,

one thing really interesting for me is if you have run the Carbon only with

monitor/display or headless as well?

I much more would like to have an "audio component" instead of a computer

in my audio room.

So (after installing Windows 8 and J.River with mouse, monitor and keyboard)

if I put J.River in the Windows autostart and using J.Remote on my iPad it

should work to start. But how to shut down Windows correctly?

How did/would you manage to run a headless server?

Hi RaceDoc,

I personally use TeamViewer (which is free for personal usage) to control my MusicPlayer from any other PC. You should also setup the BIOS so that the MusicPlayer restarts automatically after every power interruption. JRemote is great but will work only if the MusicPlayer is on.

Hi Marc,

thanks for your input. I just realised that TeamViewer is already available for the iPad

as well.

So if I understand this right using TeamViewer would mutate the iPad into a touchscreen

monitor of the Windows 8 music server. Sounds fine... ;-)

Any other favourites to use Windows 8 headless?

You could use the iPad for that purpose, but I prefer using a real computer with a keyboard for the type of tasks I have to perform when I have to go beyond JRemote. And TeamViewer is so easy to use and works flawlessly. Furthermore, it works regardless of the network you are on.

Hi Marc,

thanks for your input. I just realised that TeamViewer is already available for the iPad

as well.

So if I understand this right using TeamViewer would mutate the iPad into a touchscreen

monitor of the Windows 8 music server. Sounds fine... ;-)

Any other favourites to use Windows 8 headless?

If using Windows 8 Pro then remote desktop is available. Or for the iPad I use Splashtop (a VNC which also has a free pc version so I can use it from my desktop...easier to type, etc for major maintenance issues, JRiver tagging, etc).

You could use the iPad for that purpose, but I prefer using a real computer with a keyboard for the type of tasks I have to perform when I have to go beyond JRemote. And TeamViewer is so easy to use and works flawlessly. Furthermore, it works regardless of the network you are on.

You can easily install a second copy of JRMC on your desktop computer and then connect to the remote database of your audio-pc / CAPS. This is my preferred way for administration. I even use it over vpn or ssh tunneling.

Performance is much better than VNC, RDP, Teamviewer, ...

Bernhard

EuroChamp,

Yes, thanks for that reminder for JRiver (I also tag and do all my work from same JRiver database on my desktop; I think many do) but how does this recommendation address rebooting, Win8 administrative tasks, running optimization scripts like JD's or CAD's, etc...i.e all the other headless tasks outside of JRiver. And even within JRiver, running things like custom views, etc. need to be GUI based (I think)....i.e I have 2 JRIver installs accessing same db, but each has very different categories, views, etc.

EuroChamp,

Yes, thanks for that reminder for JRiver (I also tag and do all my work from same JRiver database on my desktop; I think many do) but how does this recommendation address rebooting, Win8 administrative tasks, running optimization scripts like JD's or CAD's, etc...i.e all the other headless tasks outside of JRiver. And even within JRiver, running things like custom views, etc. need to be GUI based (I think)....i.e I have 2 JRIver installs accessing same db, but each has very different categories, views, etc.

Yes Ted, you are right in general. But now the jremote app allows a reboot. To be true, the other tasks are only accessible via screensharing (VNC, RDP, ...)

In daily business, I don't know, what these tasks are, after a successfully configured CAPS.

My audio-pc is totally locked down, the OS state is frozen. I remember, last time, when I needed console access, it was when I added a new query for my iPad view. This is not very often.

I for myself use UltraVNC from my iPad or from my desktop.

I know, it is neccessary - but interested people, new to CA or CAPS/JRMC should not care too much about this type of access, cause for music playing und using the server, it is really not necessary to practise a desktop session half of the time.

They only need a Windows with autologon and a installed JRMC (autostart with windows).

I would not pay extra for a Win PRO or ULTIMATE. A HOME version and VNC, Teamviewer, Splash..., ... are fine! :-)

Bernhard

P.S.: Categories and views are best configured on the server, the remote JRMC install will copy these.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone measured the actual consumption of the SOTM TX card when externally powered? I've just got one and see the the max current drain for an external supply is quoted as 2 amps, but given the carbon server mobo and sotm card drew 25 watts I can't see the SoTM taking 9x2=18 watts

Really like what Chris has done here and BTW seems like a good crowd here so I'll ask the dumb question. The Carbon V3 looks to be what I have been looking for. Simple audio only PC. I would like to run Jriver for music only and output via USB to a QB9. Desired storage is external Sata drive. 2 questions actually.

Will I need a separate card like that mentioned in the options to connect to a external sata drive or is there a installed esata port available? Second question is will the as configured USB2.0 ports function correctly with the QB9 to include 24-192 output (should I ever get any content beyond 16/44? I have been reviewing the thread but as a noob on this I'm still confused. thanks much for any advice.

Time to build a carbon and looking at the low profile case but I have a PCI e Firewire card that I'll need to use with my WEISS DAC. Since with this case I'll need to mount the firewire card using either a riser card or a cable (if one exists) does anyone have a recommendation on an appropriate solution? Does it matter?

Thanks!

Definitely a flex riser card like this one. I use it and it works great. If your Firewire card requires a power connector, verify the distance to cover vs. length of the cable used to power the card (I've experienced the issue with a Asus Xonar Essence STX card) - easily solvable as long as you have the right cable with you!

Or one from Larry at HD-Plex - he also makes the best enclosures!

Flexible PCI and PCI Express Riser Card - HDPLEX INC

Speakers: Egglestonworks Andra III front left/right and centre; Egglestonworks Rosa as surround; Rel Stentor II subwoofer. Synergistic Research Element Copper speaker cable. Cardas Clear Light interconnect. Amps: Krel FPB-200 and 2 x Krell KAV 150a. Theta Casablanca IV with multichannel Dirac Live. Oppo 103. Isotek GII Titan power conditioning. Acoustic treatments: 2 x RPG Modex Plates; RPG 100mm BAD panels; RPG Skylines.

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone measured the actual consumption of the SOTM TX card when externally powered? I've just got one and see the the max current drain for an external supply is quoted as 2 amps, but given the carbon server mobo and sotm card drew 25 watts I can't see the SoTM taking 9x2=18 watts

I have done the measurement - 40 ma so it will last a long time off battery

However I am finding an external linear supply is producing more dynamic sound than a 9V cell which was also tried.

• 2 weeks later...
Definitely a flex riser card like this one. I use it and it works great. If your Firewire card requires a power connector, verify the distance to cover vs. length of the cable used to power the card (I've experienced the issue with a Asus Xonar Essence STX card) - easily solvable as long as you have the right cable with you!

How do you properly connect the back plate to the motherboard? Does the metal fittings in the sockets for the ports bent in anyway or do you just press to board up against it? Or are they removed all together? Doing the build tomorrow (hopefully) so any feedback would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I am a newbie to the site and I expect to be going the C.A.P.S. v3 Carbon route in the near future.

I am looking for comments or opinions regarding the advisability of including a slot DVD drive in a Wesena case for the Carbon. From a convenience point of view, having a drive to rip directly from the server to a NAS would be preferable as all my CDs are located in the room where the server and DAC will be located. In addition, with J River, I believe I can simply play CDs using the C.A.P.S. as a transport should I want to listen to an album before deciding whether I want to rip it. Chris has mentioned the slot drive case as an option both on this site and at RMAF seminars.

OTOH, I have heard that a DVD drive is not part of the C.A.P.S. specification and that it could introduce undesirable electrical noise. Is this likely to be audible or affect the sound quality? I have a Luxman DA-06 DAC on order which will be served by the C.A.P.S.

Assuming the inclusion of a drive to be a viable option, any suggestions as to a particularly reliable slot drive to use?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

• 4 weeks later...

Greetings Chris,

In your description of my you use Windows 8 on the Carbon v3 you state that it allows for a touch screen like one of the Dell's to be used. These monitors need to have a USB cable attached to the computer to operate the touch feature. Will connecting another USB device to the computer compromise the SQ since the USB host now has more work? I remember you stating that you should not use a USB drive and the SOtM USB output for that reason.

Thanks.....Frank

2 channel : full Innuos suite / Black Cat USB cables / Kii Three BXT

Desktop : Innuos PulseMINI / Roon ROCK / SaBaj A20d amp-DAC / DCA E3 headphones

Greetings Chris,

In your description of my you use Windows 8 on the Carbon v3 you state that it allows for a touch screen like one of the Dell's to be used. These monitors need to have a USB cable attached to the computer to operate the touch feature. Will connecting another USB device to the computer compromise the SQ since the USB host now has more work? I remember you stating that you should not use a USB drive and the SOtM USB output for that reason.

Thanks.....Frank

Andrew at Small Green Computer replied back to me saying the SOtM board has it's own host controller so using USB peripheral is OK like a Bluetooth keyboard/mouse or the USB cable to a touch monitor.

My CAPS v3 from SGC did not come with any documentation or driver CD. I am having a problem with using a new Dell monitor... resolution and aspect are way off and I cannot control it through Win8. Intel site doesn't list a driver for Win8 on this motherboard? Also, the left front panel USB is not connected inside as per SGC. Took me awhile to discover that, again no docs. Having a few leaning glitches with this product but it does sound GOOD so I'll keep at it.

Any suggestions?

2 channel : full Innuos suite / Black Cat USB cables / Kii Three BXT

Desktop : Innuos PulseMINI / Roon ROCK / SaBaj A20d amp-DAC / DCA E3 headphones

Andrew at Small Green Computer replied back to me saying the SOtM board has it's own host controller so using USB peripheral is OK like a Bluetooth keyboard/mouse or the USB cable to a touch monitor.

My CAPS v3 from SGC did not come with any documentation or driver CD. I am having a problem with using a new Dell monitor... resolution and aspect are way off and I cannot control it through Win8. Intel site doesn't list a driver for Win8 on this motherboard? Also, the left front panel USB is not connected inside as per SGC. Took me awhile to discover that, again no docs. Having a few leaning glitches with this product but it does sound GOOD so I'll keep at it.

Any suggestions?

You may have problems with monitors because of the lack of drivers for Windows 8. The only available driver is for Windows 7 32bit (which should be installable if you run the installer as Adminitrator in Windows 7 compatibility mode.

I believe this is a real shortcoming of the CAPS "recipe" if you want to run it with a monitor (rather than headless as many people do).

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

First time poster just dipping my toe into audiophile grade computer audio. I have been a 10 year Sonos user and love the ease of setup and user interface but cant help but feel the audio quality is not doing my 2-ch system justice. I have built several Atom powered HTPCs using XMBC as the interface to wireless stream 1080p movies in my home so I am familiar with computer based media streaming. That being said I have two questions:

1. If I wanted to stream my music wirelessly what is the preferred solution? Should I just get one of these USB wireless dongles? I use a wireless N product from Linksys for one of my HTPCs and have no issues streaming movies.

2. Is there a way to eliminate the need for an external USB>SPDIF converter? Why cant a CAPs server be built with SPDIF output?

I apologize if these are noob questions or previously covered. Thank you.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

First time poster just dipping my toe into audiophile grade computer audio. I have been a 10 year Sonos and love the ease of setup and user interface but cant help but feel the audio quality is not doing my 2-ch system justice. I have built several Atom powered HTPCs using XMBC as the interface to wireless stream 1080p movies in my home so I am familiar with computer based media streaming. That being said I have two questions:

1. If I wanted to stream my music wirelessly what is the preferred solution? Should I just get one of these USB wireless dongles? I use a wireless N product from Linksys for one of my HTPCs and have no issues streaming movies.

2. Is there a way to eliminate the need for an external USB>SPDIF converter? Why cant a CAPs server be built with SPDIF output?

I apologize if these are noob questions or previously covered. Thank you.

1. If you want to go wireless you'll have to test the best solutions in your environment. If you've had success already with one product chances are good it will work for this project. There is one caveat with wireless I just stumbled upon today and I'm working with a company to pin down the issue and solution. I'm writing an upcoming article on extending one's wireless network to places where wired networking isn't possible.

2. CAPS could be built with SPDIF output but the quality would be far worse than a USB to SPDIF converter that's built well. The motherboard SPDIF headers produce sub par quality in my tests. Of course you could get an ASUS card or similar with SPDIF output if you want. I prefer the isolation a USB to SPDIF converter can offer in some cases.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png