IGNORED

Article: Computer Audiophile Pocket Server C.A.P.S. v3 Carbon

Thank you for the reply. Is there any degradation in audio quality if I go wireless through the USB?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Thank you for the reply. Is there any degradation in audio quality if I go wireless through the USB?

If you use a USB audio device you may run into problems with a USB wireless dongle. If you must use wireless you may want to go out your PC wired Ethernet into a wireless access point that can connect to your wireless network.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

If you use a USB audio device you may run into problems with a USB wireless dongle. If you must use wireless you may want to go out your PC wired Ethernet into a wireless access point that can connect to your wireless network.

Right, that is precisely what I am afraid of. What kind of "problems" would I face if I use both USB ports at the same time? Will these problems negatively impact the sound?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Right, that is precisely what I am afraid of. What kind of "problems" would I face if I use both USB ports at the same time? Will these problems negatively impact the sound?

You will likely run into USB bus contention because of the way USB operates. That will result in drouputs.

One thing just came to mind. I purchased a new Intel Dual Band 802.11AC 7260 MiniPCIe card that I put in a CAPS server and it worked. I would go this route long before the USB WiFi route.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

You will likely run into USB bus contention because of the way USB operates. That will result in drouputs.

One thing just came to mind. I purchased a new Intel Dual Band 802.11AC 7260 MiniPCIe card that I put in a CAPS server and it worked. I would go this route long before the USB WiFi route.

Perfect! I assume this version of the CAPS server has an open slot for this?

Other components:

You may have problems with monitors because of the lack of drivers for Windows 8. The only available driver is for Windows 7 32bit (which should be installable if you run the installer as Adminitrator in Windows 7 compatibility mode.

I believe this is a real shortcoming of the CAPS "recipe" if you want to run it with a monitor (rather than headless as many people do).

Eloise

Eloise - You were correct - I downloaded the Win 7 32 bit Intel drivers and it worked, did not even have to use compatibility mode. Monitor works great now. I did confirm with Intel tech and they said the same - the Win7 drivers will work on Win8.

Thanks.....Frank

2 channel : full Innuos suite / Black Cat USB cables / Kii Three BXT

Desktop : Innuos PulseMINI / Roon ROCK / SaBaj A20d amp-DAC / DCA E3 headphones

Curious if anyone has had good experience upgrading the power supply to a high quality one from a company like MCRU (Mains Cables R Us). A few folks I know used these upgraded power supply for their DACs with very good results.

Other components:

First time poster just dipping my toe into audiophile grade computer audio. I have been a 10 year Sonos user and love the ease of setup and user interface but cant help but feel the audio quality is not doing my 2-ch system justice. I have built several Atom powered HTPCs using XMBC as the interface to wireless stream 1080p movies in my home so I am familiar with computer based media streaming. That being said I have two questions:

1. If I wanted to stream my music wirelessly what is the preferred solution? Should I just get one of these USB wireless dongles? I use a wireless N product from Linksys for one of my HTPCs and have no issues streaming movies.

2. Is there a way to eliminate the need for an external USB>SPDIF converter? Why cant a CAPs server be built with SPDIF output?

I apologize if these are noob questions or previously covered. Thank you.

1. If you go the Intel DN2800MT route, use the ±$40 Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 WiFi card. It mounts on the motherboard directly and is supplied with an antenna. Works beautifully.

There are also Access points that extend your WiFI network that can be used, some of which come with an Ethernet port.

2. I've experimented with an alternative to the DN2800MT motherboard in order to have digital output straight from the motherboard, but also to be able to use a touchscreen monitor (Acer T232H) with Windows 8 which requires a USB 3.0 port. The alternate motherboard I used is the Gigabyte GA-H61N-USB3. I've paired the Celeron G540 CPU with a Zalman CNPS2X thin/silent fan. In addition to the CPU fan, I've only plugged in one of the 4 case fan in the Wesena HTPC-e5. The result is an almost silent music server with significantly more power than from the Intel motherboard. I've compared the sound quality from both the coax S/PDIF and the USB (feeding a NAD M51 DAC) and could not detect a difference in WASAPI mode; ASIO is only available with the USB out.

Keep in mind that if you use the 802.11AC miniPCIe card you need the 64 bit version of Windows 8. I had to reinstall the OS just to test this card.

Why is that? Is there another option that does not require the 64 bit version? Will the Centrino Advanced N card mentioned above work?

Other components:

Why is that? Is there another option that does not require the 64 bit version? Will the Centrino Advanced N card mentioned above work?

I use the Centrino card with Windows 8 32 bit without any issues whatsoever. And I have never experienced any performance issues, even with any of the 24/96 HDTracks files I've streamed using a WiFi connection.

Keep in mind that if you use the 802.11AC miniPCIe card you need the 64 bit version of Windows 8. I had to reinstall the OS just to test this card.

And keep in mine then the graphics drivers are non-existent.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

• 2 months later...

I swear I have read these CAPS threads for hours but sadly most comments are a bit over my head.

Would someone mind a few basic questions that I can't figure out?

I currently use a mac-mini both music and general computing. Music is on a Drobo and I use Audirvana but have tried Jriver and like it.

If I switch to a CAPS for music only:

1. Do I need to buy a monitor, keyboard and mouse to set it up?

2. Do I need a monitor, keyboard and mouse to change things beyond what a remote on my phone will do?

Thanks!

I swear I have read these CAPS threads for hours but sadly most comments are a bit over my head.

Would someone mind a few basic questions that I can't figure out?

I currently use a mac-mini both music and general computing. Music is on a Drobo and I use Audirvana but have tried Jriver and like it.

If I switch to a CAPS for music only:

1. Do I need to buy a monitor, keyboard and mouse to set it up?

2. Do I need a monitor, keyboard and mouse to change things beyond what a remote on my phone will do?

Thanks!

The short answer is yes, to set it up, you will need temporarily a monitor and keyboard/mouse. Not familiar with the usability of a MAC monitor and keyboard on a PC? I suspect that the monitor is usable but not the keyboard/mouse.

Afterwards, you can control remotely your Music Server (including logon, restart, shutdown, transfer files, etc.) from either a Mac or PC. I am a huge fan of TeamViewer which works great and is completely free. Obviously, it only works with a network connection on both the Music Server and the device used to control it - but you do not need to be on the same network.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I have been following this post for a while now and am beginning to plan out my build. quite exciting! This is my first time post so would appreciate any feedback on the following.

I plan to use the AudioEngine D1 DAC which is a USB powered DAC. I read the comments regarding playback issues with a USB hard drive and was wondering if anyone has successfully used the Carbon with a USB powered DAC or if I can expect similar problems to an external HD due to it being a power issue?

thanks again,

sam

• 4 weeks later...

I have decided to order a Carbon but have one concern. I need to control it from a first gen. iPad. Microsoft has released an iOS app for Remote Desktop but it requires iOS 6 or higher so I can't use it. I've done some searching but don't really understand what other options there are for controlling Windows. I have no experience in this area and would appreciate any help.

Any help appreciated!

I just purchased my CAPS v3 Carbon from Small Green Computer. My DAC is an Eastern Electric MiniMax Plus. I installed the driver for the DAC, but it's Windows 7. I also installed Media Center 19 and that's working. However, the MiniMax will not show up under Audio Device in MC, and it will not show up under Device Manager (Control Panel) despite restarts, etc. Whether, I use the motherboard's USB ports or the SOtM USB port, there is no sound. I tried the other Audio Device choices recommended by MC (WASPI, Direct Sound), but no luck. I keep my files on a Synology NAS and originally set up the Library from there, but after that didn't work I tried the same from the Carbon's SSD. Still no success.

I do have one problem with the Carbon out-of-the-box that may actually be normal for its setup, but not sure. I asked Andrew with Small Green Computer, but he was not sure either, so maybe this community can help. When I go under Device Manager for Universal Serial Bus Controllers, there is the yellow caution icon for Texas Instruments USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller. The comment reads, This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed. I clicked to update driver, but Windows reported that it has the latest driver.

I was hoping that maybe someone here could identify my problem, or perhaps someone is successfully using my MiniMax DAC with their Carbon, and can help me set it up.

I have decided to order a Carbon but have one concern. I need to control it from a first gen. iPad. Microsoft has released an iOS app for Remote Desktop but it requires iOS 6 or higher so I can't use it. I've done some searching but don't really understand what other options there are for controlling Windows. I have no experience in this area and would appreciate any help.

I hate to ask, but why do you need full control of Windows from the iPad?

When I go under Device Manager for Universal Serial Bus Controllers, there is the yellow caution icon for Texas Instruments USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller.

That's definitely why yo don't have sound from a USB device connected to the SOtM card. Can't think of a reason why this would happen though.

I hate to ask, but why do you need full control of Windows from the iPad?

I'm planning to run the Carbon headless and have no other computer nearby. I can use another Win machine upstairs if necessary but for day to day operations I want to use my iPad in the listening room.

I'm planning to run the Carbon headless and have no other computer nearby. I can use another Win machine upstairs if necessary but for day to day operations I want to use my iPad in the listening room.

I understand.

Once the Carbon is setup you won't need to do any day to day operations. That said, have you tried Splashtop?