IGNORED

Article: Computer Audiophile Pocket Server C.A.P.S. v3 Carbon

I did not realize I had to do that. My DAC is USB 2.0, but I was told this would work with the SOtM, right?

Your DAC might be USB 2.0, but the connectors on the SOtM card are USB 3.0. Not sure it will resolve everything but I would play it safe in installing them.

Once the Carbon is setup you won't need to do any day to day operations. That said, have you tried Splashtop?

Thanks, Chris and MarcB—I will check out Splashtop and Teamviewer. In addition to playing music, this machine will run Vinyl Studio so I can rip LPs, and for that I'll need normal access to Windows.

I looked up and researched the driver version (6.3.9600.16459) for the TI USB 3.0 Host Controller that has the Device Manager problem. The download for that version is listed as Windows 8.1 64-Bit. Could this be the problem with my 32-Bit System?

I looked up and researched the driver version (6.3.9600.16459) for the TI USB 3.0 Host Controller that has the Device Manager problem. The download for that version is listed as Windows 8.1 64-Bit. Could this be the problem with my 32-Bit System?

You definitely need to have 32-bits drivers on a 32-bits system. They do not mix at all! But I've seen install files that had both 32 and 64 bits version within the install program, and the program was smart enough to figure out which Windows version it needed to install. But if on the download site, it explicit say it is a 64-bit program, then it is.

You definitely need to have 32-bits drivers on a 32-bits system. They do not mix at all! But I've seen install files that had both 32 and 64 bits version within the install program, and the program was smart enough to figure out which Windows version it needed to install. But if on the download site, it explicit say it is a 64-bit program, then it is.

That's how the download site displayed it. Perhaps, that's why went I tried to update the driver in Device Manager, it told me I already had the latest driver.

Thanks everyone, I am playing my DAC through the Carbon. It all works after installing the SOtM drivers from SOtM. The Windows 7 driver from Eastern Electric obviously works.

Windows 8 is automatically updating the drivers for new hardware. After, starting up and not having sound again, I saw that the previous driver that I uninstalled was back! The driver that I downloaded from SOtM was replaced. I found the Windows setting to stop that, so hopefully all is good.

• 10 months later...

Hello,

I'm new here and in the process of building a virtual V3 Carbon Clone. I have the DN2800MT motherboard and the Seasonic Power Supply, however the Seasonic Plug does not fit into the DN2800MT. It seems like the motherboard center pin is too big. Have you all had this issue before? What did you do to resolve it?

Thanks in advance,

Robert

Hello,

I'm new here and in the process of building a virtual V3 Carbon Clone. I have the DN2800MT motherboard and the Seasonic Power Supply, however the Seasonic Plug does not fit into the DN2800MT. It seems like the motherboard center pin is too big. Have you all had this issue before? What did you do to resolve it?

Thanks in advance,

Robert

Hi Robert,

I had my Carbon built for me, so I have not run into this problem. I'm using the SoTM multi-rail power supply for the mother board and separately for the SoTM USB card.

Kenny

• 1 month later...
HI,

Interesting read, im new to this CAPS technique coming form a Bryston BDP/BDA and usb-hdd and Nas libraries.

Why is it you write "When connecting a USB DAC to the Carbon server readers should avoid using USB hard drives due to how the USB protocol operates." Cant the 2 usb techniques be used simultaneously?

Would the same issue occur when using a usb-spdif converter and usb-hdd's?

Thanks,

Marius

I am also worried about the above issue as I am planning to buy a CAPS V3 Carbon.

I would like to know if it is possible to run two 4TB WD USB hardrive with Carbon server.

• 6 months later...

Hi Guys - i have just been able to get my hands on a CAPS Carbon v3 server and have also just installed one of those Intel Dual Band AC 7260 PCI express mini wireless adapters. Now not realising these actually need to be attached to an antenna to work effectively I was wondering just how in fact you get the anternnas to attach to this thing? With the card installed with no antennas attached I can actually attach to the network when the server is in the same room as the wireless router. But when i move the CAPS server into the music room the signal is attenuated so much that i am unable to establish a connection. It has been driving me nuts and then i just did a bit more research and saw the card needs to be connected to antennas. The back of the Server just has one large plate which doesn't really allow to attach any other plates so that i can connect to the outside of the server. Just wondering what you may have done to resolve this issue? Are there internal antennas that can be used for this particular brand of Intel Wireless Adapter?

• 4 years later...

I have one of these "Computer Audiophile Pocket Server C.A.P.S. v3 Carbon" servers that has served me well for years. Solid!

I was thinking of upgrading it to run the new jCat card. Can anyone suggest a faster motherboard I can use that would be plug and play maybe accept for reloading the operating system? No fans/moving parts or bars that attach to the case for heat distribution. 12V so I can use my HDPllex I currently use for a Sonictransporter I7.

Falcon LS3/5A Gold Badge • Octave V70 SE • Thorens TD-124 (full STS service and all mods)/MusiKraft DL-103 • Chord Qutest • SRC•DX USB to Dual-Coax Bridge • Melco N1Z 
Other sources: Nakamichi Dragon, Tascam BR-20 Reel to Reel and more. 
Power/Cables: Audioquest Niagara 3000, Hurricane HCs, Van den Hul The Mainsstream Hybrid Power Cord - Source Power Cables, Audioquest Thunderbird Speaker Cables, BPT