IGNORED

Article: Computer Audiophile Pocket Server C.A.P.S. v3 Carbon

^ I mean this is where CAPS is heading folks..

Raspberry Pi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The rasberry pi costs $25 runs Linux right now, soon XBMC..who knows even Frodo XBMC and 24/192 files. Probably other Linux based audiophile media players too ... Heck I don't know! "

Actually the RPi runs XBMC Frodo (Release Candidate 2) via Openelec or Crystalbuntu very well and outputs 24/192 via HDMI without any issue. As an irrelevant aside (for this site) I was also gobsmacked when it output 1080p video too.

I have said it before elsewhere on these fora, XBMC absolutely should not be discounted as a serious alternative to iTunes/Amarra/etc or JRiver given the new audio engine developed for Frodo which is specced to perform way beyond 192khz. It is too simplistic to write it off as a 'mere' media centre.

My two ha'porth!

Marc

"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions"

I've just sent a (somewhat lengthy) e-mail to Mini-Box asking for them to post a 'dummies guide to OpenUPS for C.A.P.S' here on C.A.

A simple 'suggested configuration' with parts list/instructions would make OpenUPS much more approachable to simple folk like myself.

I have a huge 36V electric bicycle battery that I think would power a C.A.P.S for ages, but without instructions I'm probably more likely to fry something than power anything, so finger crossed for some help eh?

very curious...did anybody get back to you on this?

I think I am going to make an attempt next month, but having some guidance would be nice.

Here I am with most all components to build this, just awaiting a case as many are, I'm sure. Which leads me to think...perhaps too much!

I've read here and elsewhere that many prefer to run these servers sans monitor, aka headless. Is this a nod to sound quality or simply an esthetic choice? These's no TV in the room where this will reside and I was planning on using remote desktop, but am questioning why.

I probably intend to run this a little differently than some in that I'll sometimes have internet radio on as background music when not actually in the room listening. The room is sort of central to the house and this is something I've done in the past but with music channels on cable.

Is there a downside to introducing a monitor? My thought, since using Windows 8 was to utilize the touch capabilities, but rather than an expensive touch screen monitor, use a conventional monitor with this touch pad;

Newegg.com - Logitech T650 910-003057 USB RF Wireless Touchpad

Wouldn't give all the versatility of a mouse and keyboard, but perhaps everything needed?

Silver box with blue light > smaller silver box with tiny lights > black box with blue display > black and silver box with glowing glass > reddish brown boxes > living room

I think I am going to make an attempt next month, but having some guidance would be nice.

Nothing from them yet, but that's hardly surprising, with the holidays and all.

I suggested that they might post a guide here on CA themselves if they prefer, but if they don't I'll certainly pass on any advice they might offer to me directly, to the CA massive.

If you'd like to encourage them further yourself, or simply ask them for advice, the e-mail address do do so is:

[email protected]

Mentioning CA might be worthwhile if you do this :-)

I was reluctant to pay $900 for the Red Wine Audio battery power supply. Instead I looked on their site to see what kind of battery they use. Managed to buy one with the same chemistry, capacity and voltage for $160 including charger.

Thought someone here might appreciate the information. No matter how much money one has it's not nice to pay $900 for something that can be found for $160 (minus the fancy case).

Combo: Tenergy 12.8V (4-Cell) Intelligent 1.5A LiFePO4 Battery Charger + 12.8V 10Ah LiFePO4 Rechargeable Battery (DGR-A)

I was reluctant to pay $900 for the Red Wine Audio battery power supply. Instead I looked on their site to see what kind of battery they use. Managed to buy one with the same chemistry, capacity and voltage for $160 including charger.

Thought someone here might appreciate the information. No matter how much money one has it's not nice to pay $900 for something that can be found for $160 (minus the fancy case).

Combo: Tenergy 12.8V (4-Cell) Intelligent 1.5A LiFePO4 Battery Charger + 12.8V 10Ah LiFePO4 Rechargeable Battery (DGR-A)

In the Zuma article, Chris describes that his RWA is getting a custom regulator to keep voltage at 12 VDC. So, it might not be simply the case that is different. Either way, I'm curious to hear how your solution works. Please post again.

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

I did quite a bit of checking on regulators and it's actually cheap and simple to do. You can buy them for a couple dollars or make one from diodes. Even an electronics dunce like me can manage a regulator that introduces no noise and keeps you right at your target voltage.

Here's one really useful link that shows how to do it or search for DC voltage regulator. Parts are a couple dollars from Amazon. Also when you read up it turns out the devices already have regulators in them. So, for example the CAPS 3.0 motherboard accepts a wide range of voltages because it has a built-in regulator anyway.

Just plugged in my new LCD3 headphones 30 mins ago. Listening now.

Hi Chris - these are great projects, and must have taken a huge amount of work. One thing concerns me; the issue of noise. You say that even on the top-end $1k system "I still heard harsh electrical noise through my speakers." until you went for a battery power supply. To me, that is pretty horrific. Does it mean that the less expensive C.A.P.S. still suffer from this problem? Does it affect all DACS? Or is there some problem perhaps with the DAC you are using that makes it poorly isolated? Would it be worth speaking to EMM about this issue?

AjCrisci, any news about the graphic card? :)

Hey. I did not wind up ordering. Instead I bought a wireless card and spent some dollars on a room correction system (ARC 2 from IK Multimedia.....going to really test out the power of this computer...fingers crossed). I've run out of pcie ports. Will reassess once I get the wessna case (I might just use the 500 GB of internal storage I have and scrap the (ExpressCard to mini-PCIe adapter/Firewire card).

Cristi Ciubotaru from Mini-Box.com replied to my request for guidance here on CA regarding a guide that the technologically challenged like myself could follow to get Open UPS power supply working with Chris's C.A.P.S. designs.

His reply was encouraging:

" Thank you for contacting us and your interest in our products! We will consider this mail and we will study this issue. We are also working at a new version of the OpenUPS which will have batteries and might fit very well to the mentioned setups. Should you need other details, please contact us!"

Christi is a support engineer at Mini-Box, so hopefully they can provide a simple guide for us to follow?

Fingers crossed...

Small Green Computer is now offering as an option, the Zuma Case for the Carbon since the Wesena e4 won't be available for awhile. Any comments to using this case as an alternative? Pluses or minuses compared to the one Chris recommends.

I think the Wesena E4 is now available.

Cristi Ciubotaru from Mini-Box.com replied to my request for guidance here on CA regarding a guide that the technologically challenged like myself could follow to get Open UPS power supply working with Chris's C.A.P.S. designs.

His reply was encouraging:

" Thank you for contacting us and your interest in our products! We will consider this mail and we will study this issue. We are also working at a new version of the OpenUPS which will have batteries and might fit very well to the mentioned setups. Should you need other details, please contact us!"

Christi is a support engineer at Mini-Box, so hopefully they can provide a simple guide for us to follow?

Fingers crossed...

So, is the idea to use the Minibox regulator with something like the battery/charger posted above?

That would be a cool solution!

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

So, is the idea to use the Minibox regulator with something like the battery/charger posted above?

That would be a cool solution!

If I'm reading their description right, the Minibox board would be the charger and perhaps regulator. If that's the case, this board and batteries would be all one needed. Probably a switch to disengage charger so one would use battery power only, connectors wire and a pretty box.

I know just enough to be dangerous, though, so take that FWIW.

Silver box with blue light > smaller silver box with tiny lights > black box with blue display > black and silver box with glowing glass > reddish brown boxes > living room

If I'm reading their description right, the Minibox board would be the charger and perhaps regulator. If that's the case, this board and batteries would be all one needed. Probably a switch to disengage charger so one would use battery power only, connectors wire and a pretty box.

I know just enough to be dangerous, though, so take that FWIW.

Customize LiFePO4 26650 Battery: 12.8V 9.9Ah (126.72Wh, 7A rate) with PCB in Triangular Shape

this battery appears to be able to fit in the case. This is what I got my eyes on.

Has anyone actually received the Wesena case? I see PHT has removed the "incoming on 10th January" note on their website. An email query about my order has gone unanswered.

Has anyone actually received the Wesena case? I see PHT has removed the "incoming on 10th January" note on their website. An email query about my order has gone unanswered.

Sorry, can't answer your question but, if were me, I'd get an HDPlex case. Looks better, IMO, and made in USA (albeit it costs ~$100 more).

Sorry, can't answer your question but, if were me, I'd get an HDPlex case. Looks better, IMO, and made in USA (albeit it costs ~$100 more).

I agree they look nice, and I did consider as an alternative to the Wesena but $100 is $100 and will be better used in some other part of this (my first) audio server setup. In time I may build another and perhaps then I'll splurge on something else.

For those interested, I spoke with Zygmunt of PHT this morning. Freight is in Boston, but tied up somehow at shipping company (customs?). He hopes to get that straightened out and start shipping by end of week. I suspect he's got quite a backorder list.

Should coincide well with DACs I've got coming...I'm excited!

Are you sure?

Hmmm, no!

I thought I read on these forums a couple of years back that they were but i cannot find, on the HDPlex website, where they are made. Seems like they'd be highlighting it if they were US-built. So, it seems that I'm wrong here. My apologies.

After a quick internet search, here *is* a US-made case:

A-Tech Fabrication Home Page

Looks super nice . . . obvious quality. But the 2500 model starts at $569.