IGNORED

Article: Computer Audiophile Pocket Server C.A.P.S. v3 Carbon

Hi Peter it's a screen from the preferences of Windows Remote Desktop.

Chris, I've been thinkin' about this. Are you talking about "Remote Desktop Connection" or Remote "Desktop Assistance" . I'm at a loss to find this. FWIW, both are windows computers.

Any insight?

Silver box with blue light > smaller silver box with tiny lights > black box with blue display > black and silver box with glowing glass > reddish brown boxes > living room

Chris, I've been thinkin' about this. Are you talking about "Remote Desktop Connection" or Remote "Desktop Assistance" . I'm at a loss to find this. FWIW, both are windows computers.

Any insight?

Peter, make sure you have Windows 8 PROfessional. If it's not the PRO version you don't have RDC.

Peter, make sure you have Windows 8 PROfessional. If it's not the PRO version you don't have RDC.

Thanks for your response, Ted, it is Pro. I can't for the life of me find the screen which Chris showed, looked at both 7 Pro and 8 and they look nearly identical.

Any chance you could direct me down the path to that screen?

Silver box with blue light > smaller silver box with tiny lights > black box with blue display > black and silver box with glowing glass > reddish brown boxes > living room

Thanks for your response, Ted, it is Pro. I can't for the life of me find the screen which Chris showed, looked at both 7 Pro and 8 and they look nearly identical.

Any chance you could direct me down the path to that screen?

The screenshot is from my computer I use to connect to the caps server from. I use the Microsoft Remote Desktop client to remote control caps servers from other computers.

Nothing to do with remote assistance. Just enable Remote Desktop on caps.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

The screenshot is from my computer I use to connect to the caps server from. I use the Microsoft Remote Desktop client to remote control caps servers from other computers.

Nothing to do with remote assistance. Just enable Remote Desktop on caps.

If anyone else should encounter the problem I had and is befuddled as I was, there's a pulldown "options" screen when you open Remote Desktop Connection.

Pull down the "Options" arrow, click on the "Local Resources" tab and this will give you the "Remote Audio" box where you'll see "settings" click that for the options shown in Chris's post.

I'm sure I'm not done with my duh moments, but perhaps will be useful to someone else.

Hi David - The SSD isn't attached to the case. I see no need to attach it.

The RWA supply connects to the external DC inputs on both the motherboard and SOtM card. If using the RWA supply make sure not to connect the internal power connector to the SOtM card.

Chris, here is the quote from the other thread (response from SOTM)...

"I got an email with this information. I quote:

When you use tX-USBexp with applying the external power, you don't need to

connect the molex 4pin connector, but we recommend you to use it for the

safety. for example, when the external power is suddenly blocked, the

tX-USBexp will be damaged, but when you connect it to the molex 4pin, you

don't need to worry about the damages.

Thank you.

Best Regard,

May Park

Tel : +82-41-576-7663"

Equipment:

Auralic Vega DAC, Auralic Taurus Preamp, KEF LS50 Speakers, Hypex Ncore400 monoblock amps, CAPs V3, Paul Hynes SR5 (12v and 9v rails), Audioquest King Cobra XLRs, Signal Cable speaker cable, Furutech power and USB cable

Any insight?

Hi Peter J

I have a DAC-2 firmware V1.4, 2010.

Hoping they will offer a firmware upgrade soon. Even then I will want a guarantee that it will be compatible with the latest Sotm device

You might consider the original Sotm device which does work on USB 2.0.

Steve[br]Gear:[br]Dedicated 10mm copper mains spur, T1 Windows 7 PC, J-River 18, Audioquest Carbon USB, Auralic Vega, F5 DIY power amp, DIY fine silver cables, Troels Gravesen designed 2 way TQWT speakers.

Has anybody tried the KingRex linear power supply to power up the motherboard? If so, please describe the impact on sound you achieved with that change. Thank you.

Hi

I'm using an old school TTI lab bench Psu, with just 1mv ripple. Compared to the budget 12v switch mode psu that I bought, the sound is so much nicer. The 'noise' made by the budget psu just disappeared.

In fact it makes it sound so good I'm wondering if a battery is going to make much improvement. Bought a used one of Ebay ;-)

Steve[br]Gear:[br]Dedicated 10mm copper mains spur, T1 Windows 7 PC, J-River 18, Audioquest Carbon USB, Auralic Vega, F5 DIY power amp, DIY fine silver cables, Troels Gravesen designed 2 way TQWT speakers.

Hi Peter J

I have a DAC-2 firmware V1.4, 2010.

Hoping they will offer a firmware upgrade soon. Even then I will want a guarantee that it will be compatible with the latest Sotm device

You might consider the original Sotm device which does work on USB 2.0.

I was just on the phone with W4S yesterday, they're up to 1.6 firmware now, but still questionable compatibility with the SOtM. My card is on the way back to Simple Design, never did get it working. I didn't know there was more than one version of the card, is it available in the PCIe format?

• 2 weeks later...

After reading the great CAPS threads I do see recurring issues with the USB to DAC connection. Since PCIe connection is possible, I would love to see a taste test between a PCIe card to DAC connection using an AES/EBU balanced (XLR 110ohm) connection. There is a reason why PCIe and balanced connections are so prevalent in pro audio / audio studios environment. A bit obvious, I know, but getting rid of unwanted noise is key.

There is a wealth of info on Digital Audio Workstations (DAW) building, DACs, cabling, jitter, etc. on a site (recording.org) that provided me with most of my info when I built DAWs on a pc platform a few years back.

If it is good enough for recording you would think it is good enough for playback...

From info on OS tweaks for audio, what HD and mobo to use, etc. Links:

http://recording.org/daw-pro-audio/

http://recording.org/recording-computers/

Cheers.

After reading the great CAPS threads I do see recurring issues with the USB to DAC connection. Since PCIe connection is possible, I would love to see a taste test between a PCIe card to DAC connection using an AES/EBU balanced (XLR 110ohm) connection. There is a reason why PCIe and balanced connections are so prevalent in pro audio / audio studios environment. A bit obvious, I know, but getting rid of unwanted noise is key.

Without putting words into anyone's mouth (I hope) I believe the majority of people who have tested and compared prefer a USB to SPDIF (or AES) converter rather than a PCI(e) card with AES or SPDIF output.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Thanks Eloise.

It is just that I am reading a lot of threads pertaining to needing gadgets to clean up USB power, specialized usb cables, specialized battery packs for a separate USB PCIe card and still noise impacting speakers.

Fun hobby, but a daunting amount of possibilities!

There is a wealth of info on Digital Audio Workstations (DAW) building, DACs, cabling, jitter, etc. on a site (recording.org) that provided me with most of my info when I built DAWs on a pc platform a few years back.

If it is good enough for recording you would think it is good enough for playback...

From info on OS tweaks for audio, what HD and mobo to use, etc. Links:

Computer Audiophile - The Preeminent Source for Computer Audio & Music Server Information and Reviews

Computer Audiophile - The Preeminent Source for Computer Audio & Music Server Information and Reviews

Cheers.

Tranz,

Take a few minutes to read this link (http://www.laventure.net/tourist/cables.htm); there is a section on the benefits of balanced cables and the condition under which a benefit is gained. It might answer some of your questions.

Marc

I feel foolish asking this question, but is there a way for me to check if my Sotm filter is operating or not?

While I'm able to use my other USB ports I can't get this port to work.

I've switched the power on and off on the Sotm filter with no success on getting anything from a DAC to even a flash drive to respond.

I realize this could be a connection issue as well but I'm not sure that's the issue.

I'll appreciate any suggestions, including a check list, anyone has to offer.

Thanks,

Joel

I feel foolish asking this question, but is there a way for me to check if my Sotm filter is operating or not?

I've switched the power on and off on the Sotm filter with no success on getting anything from a DAC to even a flash drive to respond.

I realize this could be a connection issue as well but I'm not sure that's the issue.

Thanks,

Joel

I'm guessing you're talking about the SOtM card not the filter? Do you have internal or external power to the card, in other words a power cable connected to the card inside or outside the case?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Apparently I am not the only one who was having a problem getting a 1920 x 1080 screen resolution. I found an answer. Go to the Intel download center - Intel Download Center. Do NOT use the driver update utility. Instead use the search downloads field and enter the motherboard - DN2800MT. There are 40 downloads. Go to page 3 and download Graphics: Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver for Windows* 7.

Remember me in your will.

Thanks,

Joel

Joel, I'm afraid I don't have a definitive answer for you, but perhaps some food for thought. I never got the card I had working and have abandoned it for now. There are some chipset drivers available from Intel that might have had an effect. I've since downloaded and installed them, but don't have the card any longer so can't test.

If I were to imagine a troubleshooting routine, the first thing I'd do is install the card in my desktop and see if I could get it functional there. If that was a go, I'd attach it with the cable riser to see if if there was a problem there. This would eliminate the (remote) possibility of a cable problem. Assuming those had positive results then I'd have to assume it's either the something in the mobo or header, but more likely a driver or interface problem.

Does the card show up in your device monitor? For whatever reason I could never get it too.

My patience ran out with the SOtM, but I would really have liked to hear the difference that the card is purported to make. Currently I'm running off mobo usb port into iFi iUSB then to Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 balance cables to amp. Also using Fidelizer. This setup is significantly better in sound quality than what I could get out of CD player (this is my first music server), but of course, this nutty hobby always has me wondering what I might be leaving on the table.

Thanks for your reply, Peter J.

Your idea of trying the card in another PC is a good one.

I'll see what I can arrange.

In the meantime, would you be good enough to send me the link for the Intel chipset drivers you had mentioned?

I'd like to give that option a shot.

Thanks again.

Joel

Thanks for your reply, Peter J.

Your idea of trying the card in another PC is a good one.

I'll see what I can arrange.

In the meantime, would you be good enough to send me the link for the Intel chipset drivers you had mentioned?

I'd like to give that option a shot.

Thanks again.

Joel

This is a bios update:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3382&DwnldID=22418&keyword=Intel+Desktop+Board+DN2800MT&lang=eng

And Chipset drivers;

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=20208&ProdId=3382&lang=eng&OSVersion=%0A%09%09%09%09%09%09%09%09%0A%09%09%09%09%09%09%09&DownloadType=

Both found here:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&keyword=Intel Desktop Board DN2800MT

Don't know why those links are not completely highlighted, you'll probably have to copy and paste in your browser.