IGNORED

Article: Computer Audiophile Pocket Server C.A.P.S. v3 Carbon

Chris can you please tell my the polarity for adding external power for the SoTM USB board? The board comes with no instructions. I've bought a battery to power it but don't want to destroy the board hooking it up the wrong way around.

BTW found some interesting adapters for the board. They allow you to convert the mini pci express to pci express and the other is a riser so you can convert the half pci express mini to a full one.

SINTECH PC ADAPTER WORLD

SINTECH PC ADAPTER WORLD

other cool stuff here: CF(compact flash)-IDE-SATA-SD-PCI adapter,PC diagnostic post card,digital photo frame,PC ANALYZER,DEBUG CARD,RS232 to RS485/RS422 converter,CF(compact flash) card,IDE-ZIF-1.8"HDD-PCE E-CF-PCI adapter,mini PCI to PCI adapter,card reader,pc cable,other

Finally got the case. First time building a pc. I'm following the pics closely from the article. I don't understand how the Samsung SSD is attached to the case how its positioned in the picture. The screws to the case are facing up...confused. If I turn it over then that puts the Sotm SSD filter in a bad position.

Also, how do you hook up the Red Wine Audio battery supply to the mobo and Sotm USB card?

thanks a bunch.

David

Finally got the case. First time building a pc. I'm following the pics closely from the article. I don't understand how the Samsung SSD is attached to the case how its positioned in the picture. The screws to the case are facing up...confused. If I turn it over then that puts the Sotm SSD filter in a bad position.

Also, how do you hook up the Red Wine Audio battery supply to the mobo and Sotm USB card?

thanks a bunch.

David

Hi David - The SSD isn't attached to the case. I see no need to attach it.

The RWA supply connects to the external DC inputs on both the motherboard and SOtM card. If using the RWA supply make sure not to connect the internal power connector to the SOtM card.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Can I use a Wireless Expresscard from D-Link in this unit (I've need to have a means to access the 'net but the distance to my router is prohibitive for a cable)? Or is a Wireless Repeater like a NETGEAR WN2500RP-100NAS Universal Dual Band Wi-Fi Range Extender a better solution?

Steve Schaffer

Grimm MU1 / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - APEX DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia V /  Wilson Lōkē subs / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata Omega interconnects, power cables, Ethernet / Shunyata Altaira / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2 LPS / HRS racks - Vortex footers - damping plates

Thanks. I'm thinking instead that a better and less limiting solution would be to put in a Securify Almond router/range extender. I believe it will create a bridge though it may well set up a different network. I can live with that and then consider the Lagoon as a less expensive alternative to the Carbon as a dedicated music server.

Steve Schaffer

Grimm MU1 / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - APEX DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia V /  Wilson Lōkē subs / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata Omega interconnects, power cables, Ethernet / Shunyata Altaira / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2 LPS / HRS racks - Vortex footers - damping plates

I've got Carbon up and running as described sans the Red Wine for the time being. Not without a few hiccups, but I expected that having built computers before. I'm running with a monitor for now, but would like to do away with it as soon as installation is solid. I'm not at all impressed with Windows 8 and this has certainly convinced me that it will find a home only on this server.

I have a number of questions I'd like to pose and undoubtedly more as time goes by and I get to know it better.

1. If CAPS is, uh, serving music and I start RDC it stops Jriver and requires a reboot to fix. Normal?

2. Has anyone gotten a Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 to work with the SOtM card? I bought it in hopes that the problems described were addressed with Win 8, but I tried and tried to no avail. Currently using iFi iDac and iUSB successfully, but like what the W4S did for my CD player on coax with balanced output. If I can't make it work, I'd appreciate recs on a similar product (balanced output) that's compatible with Carbon. Budget $1k

I'm sure there'll be more as I progress...thanks for help.

Silver box with blue light > smaller silver box with tiny lights > black box with blue display > black and silver box with glowing glass > reddish brown boxes > living room

Chris, I just wanted to mention in particular that, to me, the most important parts of your CAPS design are: Bit perfect playback, headless JRiver service via remote JPad, NAS centric, and USB research on SOtM tX-USBexp card. Silent parts are critical as well, but I had silent parts before but without knowledge of clean USB, remote control, or a BitPerfect path and therefore was lacking. Other parts may come and go, but these core aspects actually fundamentally changed and liberated my digital experience and increased my enjoyment of digital audio fidelity. No other place has made it clear how to achieve this result, end to end, which seams important to the success of digital HIFI. So thank you most sincerely for that. Cheers, SF

X2!

By looking at Chris designs I think the same, the coordination of these core features is great and put people in the right direction...

My only question is how to ensure gapless, the same neat way that Linn uPNP AV (ds in Playlist mode) ensures....

Until now, I could never make gapless work on JRMC!

Your feedback about gapless in JRMC is very welcome!

What USB receiver chip is used by the Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 (xmos, tenor, M2Tech, etc...)?

Chris, I believe it's the M2Tech...this info from SOtM site. I did call W4S, they confirmed there might be compatibility issues, but couldn't elaborate. I did buy this used so I can see their reluctance to dive into problem. I'll move on if need be.

Silver box with blue light > smaller silver box with tiny lights > black box with blue display > black and silver box with glowing glass > reddish brown boxes > living room

Hi David - The SSD isn't attached to the case. I see no need to attach it.

The RWA supply connects to the external DC inputs on both the motherboard and SOtM card. If using the RWA supply make sure not to connect the internal power connector to the SOtM card.

Chris, there was another comment in the forum on this and I believe the person email SOTM and they replied stating to leave the internal molex powering the SOTM card even if you use an external power supply. Seems odd but I think this was their response. Their reason was that if the external ps has an interuption the molex provides a backup which could otherwise damage the card.

It would be great to land this one as I plan an external PS on the card also.

Equipment:

Auralic Vega DAC, Auralic Taurus Preamp, KEF LS50 Speakers, Hypex Ncore400 monoblock amps, CAPs V3, Paul Hynes SR5 (12v and 9v rails), Audioquest King Cobra XLRs, Signal Cable speaker cable, Furutech power and USB cable

I've got Carbon up and running as described sans the Red Wine for the time being. Not without a few hiccups, but I expected that having built computers before. I'm running with a monitor for now, but would like to do away with it as soon as installation is solid. I'm not at all impressed with Windows 8 and this has certainly convinced me that it will find a home only on this server.

I have a number of questions I'd like to pose and undoubtedly more as time goes by and I get to know it better.

1. If CAPS is, uh, serving music and I start RDC it stops Jriver and requires a reboot to fix. Normal?

2. Has anyone gotten a Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 to work with the SOtM card? I bought it in hopes that the problems described were addressed with Win 8, but I tried and tried to no avail. Currently using iFi iDac and iUSB successfully, but like what the W4S did for my CD player on coax with balanced output. If I can't make it work, I'd appreciate recs on a similar product (balanced output) that's compatible with Carbon. Budget $1k

I'm sure there'll be more as I progress...thanks for help.

I have a Leema Acoustics DAC with balanced outs working fine with the SOTM card. I had to install the driver in compatibility mode in Windows 8 and it uses ASIO but all works great. In case you cant get your W4S to work.

Equipment:

Auralic Vega DAC, Auralic Taurus Preamp, KEF LS50 Speakers, Hypex Ncore400 monoblock amps, CAPs V3, Paul Hynes SR5 (12v and 9v rails), Audioquest King Cobra XLRs, Signal Cable speaker cable, Furutech power and USB cable

change this setting

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3968[/ATTACH]

Forgive my ignorance Chris, is that a Windows screen or JRiver?

Hi Peter it's a screen from the preferences of Windows Remote Desktop.

Am I an idiot? I can't find that screen on either Win 7 or 8 Remote Desktop Control control panels.

Bigger fish to fry right now though. In an effort to get the W4S Dac working last night I plugged into motherboard USB port and failed to change back to SOtM card when I installed iFi DAC. When I shut down and reconfigured with SOtM card I came back to many of the same problems that I now have to attribute to the card, meaning no output among other weirdosities. It's driving me a little nuts!

Does the SOtM card show up in device manager? If so what does it appear as? I can't find anything associated with SOtM except the TI drivers in USB controllers.

Help!