IGNORED

Audiophile-grade refrigerator?

My refrigerator is within earshot of my listening area, and the noise the damn think makes irks me, and it seems to be getting worse. It came with my house when I purchased the house, so it would not break my heart to replace it. I want something very quiet and energy efficient, with no whistles and bells.

Soundproofing the alcove it sits in appears to be the best you can do for many refrigerators.

I had a similar problem at a previous address.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Really though, they do make some pretty quiet ones. If it really does bother you I'd look into that, and possibly cabinetry that surrounds it.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

My refrigerator is within earshot of my listening area, and the noise the damn think makes irks me, and it seems to be getting worse. It came with my house when I purchased the house, so it would not break my heart to replace it. I want something very quiet and energy efficient, with no whistles and bells.

The rubber feet of the compressor has hardened because of aging.

Take a six-pack to your local refrigerator repair guy and get 4 new rubber feet.

Exchange and enjoy.

Believe me, it's that simple.

I'd be a rich man if I went round and "fixed" peoples loud fridges, I'm sure I could charge USD 100 a pop.

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

Depending on how old your fridge is, the newer models could actually be quieter. I'm subscribed to Consumer Reports online, so if you let me know what style (freezer top or bottom, French door, side by side) and price range, I can tell you what's highly rated with less than average noise (that's part of the ratings).

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Another suggestion - buy a refrigerator thermometer for $5 or so, and turn up the temperature a little at a time until it stabilizes at around 5 degrees Celsius. This will help reduce the frequency and length of time the compressor runs for.

Don't stand there with the door open, gazing absentmindedly at the contents. ;-)

Regards,

Geoff

Jud's spot on as usual.

The ice box drip is simple to ameliorate, just spiral the drain tube, and you could always consider having the compressor moved into the basement or crawl space.

Forrest:

Don't stand there with the door open, gazing absentmindedly at the contents. ;-)

Ouch, I resemble that!

Forrest:

There are two ways:

• Turn off the refrigerator when listen to music.

• Listen only to Heavy Metal music, you will finished nuts and crazy (like me), but you wouldn't notice any ambience noise!

If you are looking for a new one, try to find those with a Tecumseh reciprocating compressor, they are very low noise and energy efficient. They used some kind of infinite screw, instead of pistons. Store owners (and employees) will think you are nuts, because you are looking at the back low side of the refrigerator, but who cares?

Don't trust the brand name regarding "Made in America" since most of them are made in Mexico or China, or at least the compressor are made in China

There was a incredible brand Maytag (or is still in business?). This company was formed by retired employees of this industry in the USA, but Whirlpool bought it, in order to disappear it.

But I think you can still find one. I own one since 10 years ago, the only repair was the starting relay (thanks to the continuos power failure this side of the world), but it was very ease to find the part over the web. Now I fit it with an external retarding & low/high power relay.

Oh look they are still in business: Refrigeration Maytag | Refrigeration, Cooking, Dishwashers & Laundry Appliances but I don't know is the same quality of the NOS.

Roch

one, try to find those with a Tecumseh reciprocating compressor, they are very low noise and energy efficient. They used some kind of infinite screw, instead of pistons.

Roch

Now you are talking! I have seen air compressors like that and they had outstanding performance- quiet and powerful.

Forrest:

The problem IS your power cord. Now if you upgrade to a Z3000 Mk 2 solid silver power cord ($4500.00) the offending machine will not make a sound. The ice may taste funny tho.........

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

I've got a 10 year old LG fridge. It's a side-by-side fridge/freezer, has bells-n-whistles but, oddly, no noise.

None, it is very quiet, well, except for the ice maker but that is a once-n-awhile noise source.

Very common brand in this market, I would buy another LG fridge and would also recommend them.

I find the furnace makes considerably more noise, but it's also easy to turn the heat down while listening.

But I have yet to find a way to get my parrot to stop singing to the music ...

Our daughter's two cockatiels get cranked up too by music.

You have quite a menagerie ... I'm stull trying to work out what your dog is upto in your current profile/avatar photo

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

That is (the other) one of two. The apparent vertical tiled part is actually the floor, and he has removed the springy door stop. He looks to be in mid-flight, but this is an optical delusion.

I finally got rid of the reef tank. When that was in the house, it really cranked up the background noise (both audible and electrical, thanks to a bunch of pumps and 550 W of metal halide and compact fluorescent lighting).