IGNORED

Audiophile-grade refrigerator?

does the parrot sing in key ?

I'll trade you a miniature dachshund which barks in perfect rhythm to any Jimmie Buffet song

Well, ... I think the singing part is perhaps overstating things a bit, not that he isn't responding to the music because he is. And he does seem to have tastes as he just sleeps through some pieces while getting quite vocal during others. AT first I wondered if he was really cognizant of what I was playing, but now I am convinced that like me, he has distinct tastes.

Waldo is a double yellow head Amazon parrot that has been with my wife and I for about 33 years now, hows that for a long term pet ... and he is still somewhat adolescent, and he likes the noisier stuff (The Shins, Big Wreck, Wintersleep).

Well, ... I think the singing part is perhaps overstating things a bit, not that he isn't responding to the music because he is. And he does seem to have tastes as he just sleeps through some pieces while getting quite vocal during others. AT first I wondered if he was really cognizant of what I was playing, but now I am convinced that like me, he has distinct tastes.

Waldo is a double yellow head Amazon parrot that has been with my wife and I for about 33 years now, hows that for a long term pet ... and he is still somewhat adolescent, and he likes the noisier stuff (The Shins, Big Wreck, Wintersleep).

33 years, wow

The Truth Is Out There

Getting back on track, my listening/family room also adjoins our kitchen. We're getting new appliances, so I've been researching this same issue. Interestingly, dishwasher manufacturers publish the noise level for their models, but not so for refrigerators. We're going to deal with a higher-end appliance store, so I'm hoping they'll be able to dig up some compressor and fan noise specs.

Squeezebox Touch/Benchmark DAC-1 and Oppo BDP-95 > Conrad-Johnson CT5 preamp and Premier 350 amp > ML Summits. Member of the Suncoast Audiophile Society.

. . . Interestingly, dishwasher manufacturers publish the noise level for their models, but not so for refrigerators.

Well, plus modern dishwashers comes with a build-in timer, so you can delay the little noise until you are sound asleep.

A true audiophile appliance!

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

That is (the other) one of two. The apparent vertical tiled part is actually the floor, and he has removed the springy door stop. He looks to be in mid-flight, but this is an optical delusion.

I finally got rid of the reef tank. When that was in the house, it really cranked up the background noise (both audible and electrical, thanks to a bunch of pumps and 550 W of metal halide and compact fluorescent lighting).

Aw, you should have gone LED! Of course, my tank is a little more manageable in size at 14 gallons.

Roon Rock running on a Gen 7 i5, Akasa Plao X7 fanless case. Schiit Lyr 2, Schiit Bifrost upgraded with Uber Analog and USB Gen 2, Grado RS1s, ADAM A3x Nearfield Monitors.

Getting back on track, my listening/family room also adjoins our kitchen. We're getting new appliances, so I've been researching this same issue. Interestingly, dishwasher manufacturers publish the noise level for their models, but not so for refrigerators. We're going to deal with a higher-end appliance store, so I'm hoping they'll be able to dig up some compressor and fan noise specs.

Unfortunately, the way the noise is measured won't give you a sense for how loud the appliances actually are. Since the spectra are different for different appliances and the average to peak levels are different something quiet by the numbers could be really annoying in reality.

I would go by personal reactions, and even in store won't help because very few stores are even near the quiet of a home (or if they are they won't be around in a few weeks).

I think there are something like 4 manufacturers of major appliances offered in the US but many brands. My Jennair (Kitchenaid) is pretty quiet as is my Bosch dishwasher but they are both 10 year old models so its not much of a recommendation.

Demian Martin

auraliti http://www.auraliti.com

Constellation Audio http://www.constellationaudio.com

NuForce http://www.nuforce.com

Monster Cable http://www.monstercable.com

We replaced a Maytag dishwasher that was rated as very quite with a Bosch, which was less expensive and dead silent. The only noise we ever hear from it is when it pumps the water out. Then we hear it gurgling down the drain.

I am planning on replacing the Maytag fridge, which is very quiet except for the ice maker, with a Bosch unit if I can find one. :)

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Aw, you should have gone LED! Of course, my tank is a little more manageable in size at 14 gallons.

LEDs weren't an option then, but I really like the Kessel units. I still have a maroon clownfish in a 28 hex in my office. I was thinking of setting up something nicer, maybe a 20L, with a Kessel LED and a bubble-tip.

My sump is bigger than your tank.

Now THAT is one noisy thing, even with a Derso.

For the buy USA fans most of the Bosch appliances sold in the US are made in the US. I don't know if LG has moved manufacturing to the US. And I would not be surprised to find that many of the internal assembly's of these appliances (all manufacturers) come from 2-3 China factories.

Typically more money will get a quieter appliance (except for Sub Zero, who used to have some of the noisiest on the market).

Demian Martin

auraliti http://www.auraliti.com

Constellation Audio http://www.constellationaudio.com

NuForce http://www.nuforce.com

Monster Cable http://www.monstercable.com

20Ls are not a lot of fun for watching, unless you can mount them up pretty high, like at eye level. Then you wind up doing all the maintenance on a step ladder. :/

Might try a micro-reef - eight gallons or so, depending upon the size of the clown. I have a micro 12 gal here with LEDs that a bubble tip and some soft corals just adore. ;)

-Paul

LEDs weren't an option then, but I really like the Kessel units. I still have a maroon clownfish in a 28 hex in my office. I was thinking of setting up something nicer, maybe a 20L, with a Kessel LED and a bubble-tip.

My sump is bigger than your tank.

Now THAT is one noisy thing, even with a Derso.

Robert A. Heinlein

I have a new LG from best buy all stainless with something called a "linear compressor"...I don't know what it is, but I can't hear anything at all from it....even when it starts and stops.....complete silence ......

win8 (on Fujitsu ah532 , 6Gmem), Musical Fidelity vlink192, Benchmark Dac1-usb, Jriver mediacenter 18, HDTracks 192/24 (mostly), DROBO FS, 2xNuForce Ref. 18 monoblocks, Paradigm Sig s8's, 2xParadigm Sub2's (240v, two seperate, independent electrical circuits feeding these), various high-end analog cables, ZeroSurge power filters (except on subs), sennh. hd800 headphones.

20Ls are not a lot of fun for watching, unless you can mount them up pretty high, like at eye level. Then you wind up doing all the maintenance on a step ladder. :/

Might try a micro-reef - eight gallons or so, depending upon the size of the clown. I have a micro 12 gal here with LEDs that a bubble tip and some soft corals just adore. ;)

-Paul

If I can find a 40 gallon acrylic breeder, I will get that. I was also thinking of one of these:

yhst-32494300360055_2234_252811

The idea of looking in through the top has always appealed, and for clams it is ideal.

I have a new LG from best buy all stainless with something called a "linear compressor"...I don't know what it is, but I can't hear anything at all from it....even when it starts and stops.....complete silence ......

That sounds ideal. I also saw that it has one of the highest energy star ratings.

Those huge rectangles are awesome when done right, but they take a lot of light (LEDs are fantastic for this, if expensive...) and they can get noisy as all get out. They need a rather efficient skimmer on 'em, which is noisy. Any chance you have a location where you can can plumb the support gear into a nice soundproof closet? That way you can use one or two nice sized pumps and be done with it. :) )

-Paul

If I can find a 40 gallon acrylic breeder, I will get that. I was also thinking of one of these:

yhst-32494300360055_2234_252811

The idea of looking in through the top has always appealed, and for clams it is ideal.

Robert A. Heinlein

Well I have the pump and (Octopus) skimmer for a 100 gallon tank with 20L sub, so it could handle this as well. My main problem is I can't keep this in our house, because of the power failures (we've had 3 this morning, for no apparent reason). Sometimes it goes out for several days at a time during winter storms (Coastal Santa Cruz mountains). So I have to keep this in my office. I've had this hobby since 1998, and probably blew more money on it than half of the people here spent on their audio systems. So small and cheap and low-maintenance is key. I found having it at work provided a huge psychological impediment to maintaining it properly.

Yeah- I am thinking of putting one of these little 2g Temperate systems into my office, mostly because it is easy to maintain. I have found a small tank is not only calming to me, but makes a great tool to calm down excited people. :)

-Paul

Temperate Systems -  Micro-Reefs LLC... Smallest Temperate/Tropical Aquariums!

Robert A. Heinlein

Hi,

I joined to reply to this thread. Google "Absorption refrigerator" for a selection. They are often found as mini bars in hotel rooms and have no moving parts and are silent. Domestic kitchen sized ones are also available. They can be reassuringly expensive!

You will are unlikely to find a freezer which uses the same method though.

Hi,

I joined to reply to this thread. Google "Absorption refrigerator" for a selection. They are often found as mini bars in hotel rooms and have no moving parts and are silent. Domestic kitchen sized ones are also available. They can be reassuringly expensive!

Thanks very much. I appreciate the advice and will look them up. I think I would need a freezer though...

They are a bit trendy I suppose- but gorgeous. :)

Also they include adequate (but not exciting) lighting, pumps, etc. Kinda nice, but as you say, hefty on the wallet.

-Paul

The 10.4 rimless acrylic looks great. It costs more than 1/2 of my 100 gallon acrylic tank though. WTF?

Robert A. Heinlein

Hi,

Absorption or adsorption refrigerators consumes a lot of energy.

Some run on lpg or kerosine, some on electricity and yet some have both options.

They run on heat, so it is theoretically possible to drive them primarily by thermal solar panels.

It would probably have to have ray concentrating mirrors in vacuum tubes to work.

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

Ack! Bubbles! Oh you cannibal you... (grin)

-Paul

I didn't see that it came with the other stuff. That makes much more sense. When I think of the thousands of dollars I've dumped into keeping a few pieces of sushi over the years, it makes me question my own sanity.

20040203-Nemo-Found.jpg

Robert A. Heinlein