IGNORED

The Next C.A.P.S. Design Is Underway

I would sure love to have a simple direct RF remote with Pause, Volume Up/Down, Track Next/Previous buttons. No display needed.

The latency intrinsic to wifi-based remotes drives me nuts (I use an iPad). I would love to just be able to grab an old fashioned remote and instantly press Pause when the phone rings. (A remote is also a great place to attach a beer bottle opener.)

I use my IR remote for all that with my CAPS v2. I wouldn't be without it. I hate waking up the iPad just to jump to the next track or answer the phone.

Right now I'm 99% certain Thunderbolt will not be part of any design.

NO thunderbolt

NO CAPS 3.0

Sorry

Thunderbolt is needed for playing large multi-channel music files through fast access to RAID.

The new Mac Mini Quad looks like a fine option.

PS. I'll opt for a iPad Mini remote over some cheap looking piece of plastic.

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

NO thunderbolt

NO CAPS 3.0The new Mac Mini Quad looks like a fine option.

If you want a cute desktop computer then yes, I agree. As the source of high end audio there are too many issues (such as PSU) which you can do nothing about... The aim with CAPS is to reach the next level of audio performance, new iPad remote or not!

Various >i2s> NAD M2 > Quad 2905s

...Thunderbolt is needed for playing large multi-channel music files through fast access to RAID...
I have a widget that shows data rates and it always surprises me how low the bit rates need to be for music files (albeit 2 channel). I have gigabit switches and Cat6, so the constraint is HD read speed.

... I'll opt for a iPad Mini remote over some cheap looking piece of plastic...
Yeah, it's a nice remote. I would love to have an RF remote though to eliminate the line-of-sight constraint of IR.

Peachtree Audio DAC-iT, Dynaco Stereo 70 Amp w/ Curcio triode cascode conversion, MCM Systems .7 Monitors

NO thunderbolt

NO CAPS 3.0

Sorry

Thunderbolt is needed for playing large multi-channel music files through fast access to RAID.

The new Mac Mini Quad looks like a fine option.

PS. I'll opt for a iPad Mini remote over some cheap looking piece of plastic.

It is not as if Chris is trying to sell you one.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

In theory the display would add noise. So let's skip it.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I second all the votes for KISS design as more options/bells/whistles always seem to cause problems. I would also love to have an AEU/EBU output; I'd rather not have a remote that requires wireless (main reason I never bought the Bryston or Auraliti units); it would be nice to have an option for a floorstanding (vertical) case. I also thought V2.0 was great, so I'm not sure you need to go whole hog on overhauling the new server. Giving us more RAM, an SSD, and a standalone USB or Fireware or NAS storage device would make me a happy purchaser. Oh, and a primer on how best to migrate from iTunes AIFF/ALAC to JRiver WAV/FLAC would also be great since I'll be moving everything from my MacBook to your new server,

I would also like to say apparently elsewhere on this site someone has tested usb3 against FireWire and it is very noisy ,he thinks it might be something to do with a chip within the USB cable.

If this is true then USB 3 would be a very bad idea at least until this noise issue is resolved

Baron K

I agree with the KISS principle. As an IT professional (not hardware alas) I see scope creep all to often. I really like that you havent tried to do everything, eg music server software, caps remote control, storage systems. Im glad you havent addressed multi-channel and cinema like Jriver.

Now some questions:

• I want to make a CAPS and wonder if you have a deadline?
  • What are the criteria for V3 - is it the original brief and just want to update/improve the CAPS 2?
  • Are there any components that you've decided on that we can start to collect?

Now some questions:

• I want to make a CAPS and wonder if you have a deadline?
  • What are the criteria for V3 - is it the original brief and just want to update/improve the CAPS 2?
  • Are there any components that you've decided on that we can start to collect?

Hi Bill - I'd like to have the next C.A.P.S. designs published by the end of the year. Much of the work is complete. I'm listening to once version of the server right now as I type. Another version is running right next to it and requires a tiny amount of tweaking before completion.

One server component is due to be released the first week in November. I should have it here within a couple days after release. Testing will only take one day for that piece. One other component is a custom design that requires work from another manufacturer. Assuming all goes well that work will be done before the end of the year. This work by another manufacturer is only being done on one version of the C.A.P.S. server.

The criteria for v3 is probably identical to v1 and v2 for the most part. I had to stray from a couple criterion for two of the designs but hopefully readers will see it was worth the trade off.

I don't want to list any of the components just yet. These things get cheaper as time passes. Plus, I don't want a component to be end of life before the new designs are published. I try to avoid that very hard. Extended life components are selected whenever possible.

The plan right now is to have a C.A.P.S. week in December where one of the five designs is published each day. Don't hold me to that as things often change, but that's the plan so far.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

The plan right now is to have a C.A.P.S. week in December where one of the five designs is published each day. Don't hold me to that as things often change, but that's the plan so far.

I am very late to learn that you're building a v3.0 of C.A.P.S, and I consider it very exciting! Due to my source, I really want to second an earlier request in the thread for a 24/192 SPDIF output at the highest quality possible: I've got a Chapter Audio Sonnet-S CDplayer/preamp, which has bot USB and SPDIF inputs, where USB is limited to 24/96 and SPDIF has 24/192. Naturally, I'd like to be able to use the widest range ;).

A sidenote if I may: please try to review the Sonnet-S, it's an awesome machine which should compete at a very high level!

A BluRay ripping option would be perfect, as a CAPS would be my only Windows machine.

I suppose it could be an external drive, but an internal option would be more elegant.

I would probably also use this machine for downloads when not playing music, no reason to have good (energy efficient) equipment be idle.

The whole point of a CAPS is for it to be a low power dedicated music server, not an all around computer. If one wants that, just buy/build a Windows box with any/all of the bells and whistles. The extra stuff in the box will just make that poor little Atom processor work harder and create a larger noise foot print. Exactly what you do not want.

Then again, we'll soon see what Chris is cooking up!

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

24/192 spdif yes of course,but a few top end manufacturers are starting using their own proprietary sockets /plugs for higher rates. msb to name one.

spdif has its limitations just like the old usb2 so I am wondering if we will ever see a future more efficient upgrade in this area?

I guess if we start going higher than 24/192...

Baron K

Put my first post here as I'm going to build one soon.

I wish it could be a pc that

1) run a dedicated OS, either a mini Linux distro or something based on Windows embedded standard 8 (I just know it by a search)

2) run headless, better without a GUI

3) music player run as service, which is remotely controlled

4) only usb output. (There're so many options to convert usb to s/pdif or aes, thus no need to put any specific one inside the CAPS)

4) only usb output. (There're so many options to convert usb to s/pdif or aes, thus no need to put any specific one inside the CAPS)

Bravo and welcome!! A really intelligent observation, and backed up by peoples reviews of the Aurender where, despite the dedicated sound card, many appear to favour output via USB....

. . .The plan right now is to have a C.A.P.S. week in December where one of the five designs is published each day. ..

Now that's what I call a treat for X-mass :-)

Chris, if you have such headroom for variation, may I suggest a high(er) CPU-powered solution with latest lowest power IvyBridge (35w?) i5/i7 + JPLAY hibernation mode?

It might clarify (or deepen.. :-) ) some of the confusion/opinions around on what sounds best (a big engine on minimum revs or a very tiny engine running slightly higher revs). Such build would likely also imply different Mobo + PicoPSU, hence it might not be 100% likes for likes besides the CPU.... but then, we don't want things to be conclusive... for the sake of this hobby..

Hans

Bits to analog: Server [i9-10850k; Win10Pro, Roon Core + HQPlayer4 >all DSD256x] -> mRendu -> Regen -> Lampi GG

Analog to sound: ASR Emitter II Exclusive, Battery -> Gryphon Mojo S + 2 x REL G2

Details: Audio System

Thanks for doing this Chris.

I'd appreciate being able to take advantage of the i2s input on my W4S Dac-2 (assuming you even found i2s to be worthwhile).

I also hope it would have the horse power to let me play streamed 1080P from my slingbox.

Windows® or Mac® Minimum Requirements

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo or better

DirectX 9 Class video card with more than 256 MB of dedicated memory for Windows PC

More details here: Slingbox.com - Tech Specs

As a PS Audio Bridge and PWD II owner,

I'd like to know if there are better Ethernet connections available? There are quite a few tweaks for USB other digital inputs/outputs but how about optimizing Ethernet? Or is this even possible? I do hear a difference and see a performance difference between Cat 5, 6,and 7 cables. And what would be the best Caps design for PWD II?

SteVe's V's

Speakers- Legacy Audio Vs & 2 Legacy LF Extreme Subwoofers, Amplifiers- 2 Coda 15.5 Amplifiers Biamped, Preamp- TRL Dude, DAC- Lampizator Golden Gate Legacy Audio WaveletPC Software-ROON, HQplayer, jPlay, Fidelizer, AudiophileOptimizer 2.10, jRiver, WSY2K12V2 Roon Server PC- , HqPlayer PC- Turntable- SOTA Sapphire, Sumiko FT3 Arm, Audioquest Cartridge, CODA Phono stage, Accessories- HAL Footers, PS Audio Powerbases, Aurios, HiFi Tuning Supreme Fuses, Power- PurePower+ 2000 & 3000, PS Audio: Powerbases, LAN Rover, Noise Harvester, Quintet, Ultimate Outlets HC, Welborne Labs & HdPlex LPSUs,

Cables- Clarus Crimson USB, Lampizator Silver Ghost USB, Clarus Crimson PC, Western Electric 10 gauge DIY Speaker Cables and Best-Tronics Belden 8402 Balanced Interconnects Equipment Racks- SolidSteel

Thanks for doing this Chris.

I'd appreciate being able to take advantage of the i2s input on my W4S Dac-2 (assuming you even found i2s to be worthwhile).

I also hope it would have the horse power to let me play streamed 1080P from my slingbox.

Windows® or Mac® Minimum Requirements

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo or better

DirectX 9 Class video card with more than 256 MB of dedicated memory for Windows PC

More details here: Slingbox.com - Tech Specs

A good option for owners of W4S DACs is an external USB-I2S converter, Sonore, produces one of these which uses asynchronous USB (XMOS based), and has onboard linear power supply and HDMI output compatible with the W4S and PS Audio standards.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

As a PS Audio Bridge and PWD II owner... I do hear a difference and see a performance difference between Cat 5, 6,and 7 cables. And what would be the best Caps design for PWD II?

It may be of interest that Meridian inserted ferrites on their ethernet wires for their 40th anniversary kit (sorry, I've no idea of the dimensions) with EMI/RFI insertion a major concern with going hardwired.

Surely your best option for the PWDII is PS Audio's own SilentServer so you can use the superior internal i2s interface of the Bridge. Otherwise I recall an i2s adapter for the Julia@ soundcard...