IGNORED

The Next C.A.P.S. Design Is Underway

Hi Guys - All the design and testing is complete for C.A.P.S. v3! I'm working on the articles right now. I hope to start publishing everything early next week :~)

Where's that "like" button? I spend too much time on Facebook . . .

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Hi Guys - All the design and testing is complete for C.A.P.S. v3! I'm working on the articles right now. I hope to start publishing everything early next week :~)

I can't wait. Specially signed up to hopefully participate in the building logs the coming next month :) Go Chris!

Mobile: iPhone 6s 128Gb > Chord Hugo > Shure 846

Stereo: PPA dual streamer setup with JPlay and AO > Lampizator Golden Gate SE > Classe Omega Preamp MKII > 2xNord On UP NC500DM > Linkwitz LX521

Thanks, Chris. This site is awesome. After many years I've finally upgraded to some decent speakers (GoldenEar Tritons) and boy is the sound great. I'm currently using a Denon 3910 CD/SACD player but ready right now for a music server. After hours of reading everything from Mac Mini's as "noiseboxes" to "Windows is crap", I was left puzzled at the tendency (elsewhere) towards rancor. Of course the ultimate test is listening, BUT...short of spending $2,500 for an SOtM server, I'm really looking forward to your #3 build. A month ago purchased a copy of Amarra HiFi, but with all the "anti-Mac" and "anti-laptop" comments due to the inherently noisy environments, I was afraid to 'hack' my 2012 Air 13" software as advised to start SOMEWHERE and begin downloading in AIFF. Then I could at least use it as my music server for now, so I can start seeing what it sounds like after I start loading my library of 200+ CD's into its 200GB internal drive...Now you're (about to) provide the ideal solution for me...C.A.P.S. v3. WhooEee!! Can't wait. Building it could be very cool...

Two caveats on my $723 comment (relevant for this thread cuz it responded to a future CAPS Lite request):

1) Full production Windows 8 will be intro'd at $69 once it is released in two weeks. So add that in.

2) A good power supply is king, but many of you use a linear with whatever you are using now, so it is simply making sure it has a 2.5/5.5mm dc plug. The board is rated 8v-19v so most good linears that folks have mentioned will power it just fine. A separate ps is optional for the SOtM USB, but I haven't found it necessary for the best digital I've heard.

Hi Ted, I'm new to the forum but have been studying your build and have ordered the parts to start it. I'm going with the same mobo, a similar case, a msata SSD, and have ordered a Paul Hynes SR5 to power the mobo. On powering the USB card... Do you go straight from the mobo sata power to a molex into the USB card? or do you insert a SoTM sata filter in the middle? Also, if I wanted to to add a DVD to the unit, how would you suggest to power that and the USB card from the mobo? Using another external ps is not something i want to do.

Thanks!

ejn1

Equipment:

Auralic Vega DAC, Auralic Taurus Preamp, KEF LS50 Speakers, Hypex Ncore400 monoblock amps, CAPs V3, Paul Hynes SR5 (12v and 9v rails), Audioquest King Cobra XLRs, Signal Cable speaker cable, Furutech power and USB cable

Hi Ted, I'm new to the forum but have been studying your build and have ordered the parts to start it. I'm going with the same mobo, a similar case, a msata SSD, and have ordered a Paul Hynes SR5 to power the mobo. On powering the USB card... Do you go straight from the mobo sata power to a molex into the USB card? or do you insert a SoTM sata filter in the middle? Also, if I wanted to to add a DVD to the unit, how would you suggest to power that and the USB card from the mobo? Using another external ps is not something i want to do.

Thanks!

ejn1

Well, first off, welcome to CA. I guess, with Chris's official CAPS V3 less than a week away I would wait on the design...mine was of course an interim CAPS until the great and powerful brought his instructions down from the mountain. :)

Yes, to power the SOtM card internally (I now power it via the SOtM battery case, as per my thread) you go SATA power connector to the SOtM molex, period.

I did not recommend or allow for an internal DVD drive, so your guess is as good as mine. The Wesena case has the bracket fro it, and it would be powered viz the umbilicals hanging off the SATA cable from above. Again realize that the extra power from the mSATA and the DVD are not tested in my spec.

Well, first off, welcome to CA. I guess, with Chris's official CAPS V3 less than a week away I would wait on the design...mine was of course an interim CAPS until the great and powerful brought his instructions down from the mountain. :)

Yes, to power the SOtM card internally (I now power it via the SOtM battery case, as per my thread) you go SATA power connector to the SOtM molex, period.

I did not recommend or allow for an internal DVD drive, so your guess is as good as mine. The Wesena case has the bracket fro it, and it would be powered viz the umbilicals hanging off the SATA cable from above. Again realize that the extra power from the mSATA and the DVD are not tested in my spec.

Thanks Ted.... I agree with your comment on the CAPS v3. I was going to have everything installed minus the SOtM card and software and wait to see the next version CAPS specs as my power supply will not be ready until February. I assume the Intel MB, case, drives and memory would be still fit for purpose in future designs... hopefully :)

Equipment:

Auralic Vega DAC, Auralic Taurus Preamp, KEF LS50 Speakers, Hypex Ncore400 monoblock amps, CAPs V3, Paul Hynes SR5 (12v and 9v rails), Audioquest King Cobra XLRs, Signal Cable speaker cable, Furutech power and USB cable

Hi,

Perfect timing.

I have wasted, er i mean invested, loads of money on digital front ends in the past, so wanted to use a convection cooled, low noise front end, that stores all of my music to play into a DAC / Pre.

Once we have the build notes and reasons for component selection, i am ready to go!

Cheers, and great website by the way.

Sheriff

Chris, did you get a chance to test USB power regulators that go between the server and the USB DAC? Any thoughts if they improve in a similar level as an SOTM card and/or RWA power supply?

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

Just noticed that sotm had a new usb card out thanks to the caps v3 lagoon article.

Does anyone know what sort of differences there are between the original PCI design and this new "exp" pcie design besides the obvious pci/pcie. The boards look very different, just wondering if they have improved anything.

Robbby,

The card has been out for some time (several months), and there are several threads here about it. It is the card I included in my CAPS V2+ design thread, and therefore the card I use. It is smaller, is PCIe, only one USB port, better filtering, has an external dc power connector, and is USB 3.0 compliant (not a big deal). All other aspects (power on/off from front of card, etc) are similar.