IGNORED

Article: Weiss Engineering DAC202 Review

Chris's review states "the Weiss DAC202 offers a critically and consumer acclaimed asynchronous FireWire interface."<br />

<br />

But Gordon Rankin makes a distinction at audio asylum:<br />

<br />

"No they use the TC Electronics parts and then use an asyncrhonous upsampler. Got prodded pretty much in the press for that one.<br />

<br />

So no Weiss does not do async Firewire, only Metric Halo that I know of."<br />

<br />

Thanks<br />

Gordon<br />

J. Gordon Rankin<br />

<br />

Given the mostly prevailing view about async interfaces, I'm curious how important this distinction may be? Or does the Weiss method fall into the category of asynchronous? If there is a previous discussion on the topic, please feel free to redirect me.<br />

Nick

• 4 months later...

I'm planning to use the Weiss DAC202 with a valve amplifier (without a pre-amp). <br />

I hear annoying hum and hiss noise at full volume in my dead silent country side home.<br />

So I can't use a digital only volume control. <br />

<br />

I'm not sure if "coarse analog volume control" of DAC 202 stops noise of power amplifier. <br />

I have plenty of power for my room dimensions and I mostly listen at 1/4 of volume level.<br />

<br />

What does analog volume control of DAC202? <br />

Does it help me to reduce amplifier noise like a real pre-amplifier?

Dear Daniel,<br />

<br />

Thank you for your prompt reply.<br />

<br />

Do you mean 'setting output level to minimum' does what an analog passive pre-amp does exactly? I think this solves my problem, since I don't hear any hum or hiss at my listening levels.<br />

<br />

or do you think I should look for another power amp or use DAC202 with a pre-amp with my noisy amplifier through my monitor speakers in my dead silent room? I listen very close to speakers at low volumes.<br />

<br />

• 3 months later...

Here's a guy who uses a passive preamp. He tried without and told it was better. his output voltage is probably to high though to go straight.<br />

<br />

/>

<br />

I was hoping he liked it just as good with the preamp.

Fully Balanced Differential Stereo: Jamo R909 < Emotiva XPA-1 < XLR < Emotiva XSP-1 < Weiss DAC2 < Oyaide d+ FW400/800 < iMac < Synology DS1815+ NAS

Software: Amarra Symphony iRC, XLD, iTunes.

• 1 month later...

Well after much deliberation I ordered the Weiss dac202(today) largely based on Chris's review.I had been contemplating whether to go with the Weiss,Meitner or Invicta dac. It will be paired with Bryston 7b sst2 amps, Bryston bp26 pre and B&W latest 800 diamond. I am new to computer audio so I hope I don't have too much trouble trying to figure it all out.....

B&W 800 Diamonds, Bryston BP26 preamp, Bryston 7B SST2 amps, dac is evolving.....

and, IMHO, one of the best. You will love it. <br />

<br />

I think you amp and preamp are very revealing and will do well with the Weiss. While I have listen to the Bryston stuff quite extensively, I have never done so with the B&W.<br />

<br />

I know others would disagree, but right now Amarra is running a sale, so I would get Mini for their "bargain" price. The program is filled with bugs, but sounds fantastic and supposedly are fixing the bugs with tomorrow's release.<br />

<br />

As long as you went the distance with the Weiss, go for Amarra.<br />

<br />

Enjoy the music.

Ok, so I want the best sound possible out of this dac202. I know very little about computers but gather that a mac with amarra or Pure music feeding the dac202 via firewire is what it takes.<br />

So, what MAC do I need and with what options?Will a Mac mini do or would it be a compromise? Be as specific as you can.ANy input would be greatly appreciated.....

B&W 800 Diamonds, Bryston BP26 preamp, Bryston 7B SST2 amps, dac is evolving.....

and Amarra Mini.<br />

<br />

Get the Mini with the least memory and upgrade it to the most memory from OWC. <br />

<br />

I think Amarra is the best but very buggy right now.<br />

<br />

That would be my choice.<br />

<br />

You will also want a external storage. Since you will be using Firewire with the Weiss, get a Thunderbolt drive. LaCie makes a small one and Promise a large Raid.

Well,I ordered my server, amarra software and now $1500 into this the Canadian Weiss distributor( planetofsound) backed out on the dealer I was getting the DAC202 from( with no explanation) but the dealer believes the distributor wants to sell it to me directly through his retail outlet .I have been dealing with this brick and mortar dealer for 25 years and he is a real standup guy and No, there isn't any Weiss dealer in the area(not even close).Infact there isn't any Weiss dealer in the entire province.Infact there is only one Weiss dealer besides the distributor in the entire country.It isn't much wonder Weiss sells so little in this country. I hope Weiss changes their distributor and gives it to someone who actually has a brain.<br />

So, I guess it will be between the Meitner and Invicta now but I am sure as hell not putting anymore money into players etc until I have the dac in hand. So, as it stands I am not very thrilled with Weiss...<br />

Be sure to tell them exactly what you told us. They may have no idea what the distributor is doing, but let them know they are about to lose the sale and are getting bad press as well.<br />

<br />

Supporting your local guy is the Right Thing, and in my opinion, more important than saving a few bucks.

I can understand them turning down a dealer/dealers etc but to agree to give it to the dealer and then back out of it 2 days after the unit is ordered is very unprofessional.It was also embarrassing for the dealer( who was quite apologetic).<br />

I am quite upset as I put all this other money into a server etc based on a firewire dac. I hope I can still use it ok for a usb based dac....

<br />

I just got off the phone with Meitner.Then called my dealer and ordered the Meitner ma-1 and it will be here by the end of next week.<br />

I was also able to cancel the server/amarra for a small fee so not all bad....

I had my son (who is a computer engineer) look at Chris's criteria for the CAPS 2.0 server and he assembled what he thought might be a system that would better suit my needs.<br />

<br />

http://www.thejayzone.com/htpc.png<br />

<br />

This system is a bit cheaper, albeit not as small and compact as the CAPS 2.0. The AMD E-350 is faster than the Intel D525, and is passively cooled as well. The motherboard also supports newer and cheaper DDR3 RAM (up to 8GB). It also allows for 2 PCI expansion slots (for dedicated USB and Firewire cards), and natively supports USB, Firewire, and TOSLink. The power supply is a high quality fanless modular power supply. The case, while not as compact as the Oregon M10, will allow for any micro-ATX system and should be more friendly towards future upgrades. The SSD is made by Intel, which although a little more expensive than Sandforce drives, has proven to be more reliable in the past.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...