BrianEno-Lux_zps36b56945.jpg

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Dizzy Gillespie

School Days

dizzy-gillespie-school-days.jpg

Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not." — Nelson Pass

This afternoon in the tropical heat; two of my favorite Qobuz purchases:

Giovanni Mirabassi Trio: Live at the Blue Note Tokyo (redbook).

Live At Blue Note Tokyo.jpg

Thanks 27Globes for pointing out this great artist to me.

Followed by:

Bach: Orchestral Suites - Freiburger Barockorchester (24/44).

Bach_ Die Orchestersuiten - Freiburger Barockorchester [24_44].jpg

By far my favorite version of these immortal classics.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6688[/ATTACH]

Followed by:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6689[/ATTACH]

+1 on Mirabassi (though I still struggle to understand how the picture relates to the music but that's perhaps the point) and the Bach Overtures by the Freiburger Barockorchester. The Freiburger get the bronze medal in my personal podium for the Bach Overtures after Savall (slow-paced gold, 2SACDs) and Fasolis (fast-paced silver, 1SACD).

Mike Oldfield, Tubular Bells, SHM-SACD. A bit dated at times, but very well recorded.

Vangelins, Blade Runner, Audio Fidelity SACD. The redbook layer is very good sonically, and the SACD layer even better. Of course Vangelis is not Bach or Beethoven, but it is nice music.

Zador, 5 Contrasts and Children's Symphony, Naxos No: 8.572548 CD.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6688[/ATTACH]

Followed by:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6689[/ATTACH]

Ciao, Sig. Musico!

How cool is this. I read your post, go to Qobuz, select the Mirabassi and immediately appreciate your recommendation(streamed in flac 16/44). We live in an interesting time. Salute.

iMac - iTunes(AIFF) - Squeeze 7.9- QOBUZ flac streamer - Vodafone Revolution Router - Transporter - Pathos Classic One MkIII - JM/Focal Daline 3 - dhLabs & Xindak xlr cables - Mapleshade header and footers - AppleTV3

Ciao, Sig. Musico!

How cool is this. I read your post, go to Qobuz, select the Mirabassi and immediately appreciate your recommendation(streamed in flac 16/44). We live in an interesting time. Salute.

Buona notte Italia! I suppose I need to check out their streaming offer at some point.

The Freiburger get the bronze medal in my personal podium for the Bach Overtures after Savall (slow-paced gold, 2SACDs) and Fasolis (fast-paced silver, 1SACD).
Haven't heard any of the above versions, but I adore Masaaki Suzuki/ Bach Collegium Japan doing these. Has anyone heard them all, for comparison?

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

Haven't heard any of the above versions, but I adore Masaaki Suzuki/ Bach Collegium Japan doing these. Has anyone heard them all, for comparison?

For once I disagree with Boris. I very much like Savall on many recordings, but for these suites, that are dances after all I don't like his tempi.

Suzuki does what he always does, same with the cantatas, same with the oratorios: everything is perfect, but the recordings can sometimes be a bit "clinical" if you know what I mean.

In my collection I have Freiburg, Fasolis, Suzuki, Savall, Pinnock, and in non-HIP Münchinger (my first), Rilling, and Marriner. These days I wouldn't recommend any non historically informed performance any more, and of the HIP my ranking would be Freiburg first, Fasolis 2nd, and no clear favorite among the others.

For once I disagree with Boris. I very much like Savall on many recordings, but for these suites, that are dances after all I don't like his tempi.

Suzuki does what he always does, same with the cantatas, same with the oratorios: everything is perfect, but the recordings can sometimes be a bit "clinical" if you know what I mean.

In my collection I have Freiburg, Fasolis, Suzuki, Savall, Pinnock, and in non-HIP Münchinger (my first), Rilling, and Marriner. These days I wouldn't recommend any non historically informed performance any more, and of the HIP my ranking would be Freiburg first, Fasolis 2nd, and no clear favorite among the others.

Forgot to mention Café Zimmermann, as the suites are spread across several albums. The one I have is really nice though.

Nusrat Ali Khan & Michael Brook

Night Song

s3573348.jpg

Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not." — Nelson Pass

As I am very fond of Masaaki Suzuki in the cantatas and on the harpsichord, your post means that I'll probably end up buying yet another version... Thank you Snowmonkey :-)

Forgot to mention Café Zimmermann, as the suites are spread across several albums. The one I have is really nice though.

You're very right to mention the Café Zimmermann takes - they are absolutely excellent. I had not tought of them as they are scattered across the albums. I bought them all separately just before they sold the whole set at a discounted price which annoyed me except that buying them one by one allowed me to buy the last ones in high res. They are part of the "fast bunch" and quite close to Fasolis in my opinion. One set of Bach Overtures I haven't listened to in a long time is S. Vegh and the Camerata Academica. I have a faint memory that the interpretation is good but the sound quality mediocre. One set I have never listened to is Klemperer's, but I have my doubts I would enjoy it now that I am used to period instruments in this repertoire.

Back on topic: Saint-Saens, Symphony No. 3 by Fremaux and the Birmingham SO. Thanks to those who recommended the disc. The sound quality is indeed excellent as advised. In terms of interpretation, I think this recording lacks the punch of Paray or Plasson and the Birmingham SO does not have the orchestral magnificence of the BPO with Karajan or the Paris Opera Orchestra with Chung.

louis-fremaux-saint-saens-organ-symphony-the-carnival-of-the-animals-etc.jpg

Off-topic again: yesterday evening I listened to organist Franz Hauk playing pieces by Martin Helmschrott in Notre-Dame de Paris: these pieces (Haghia Sophia and Ex Oriente Lux) and the Cavaillé-Coll were so bass rich that the printout for the concert was shaking under the soundwaves. I reached for the SPL app on my iPhone (which I calibrated with a proper SPL): it oscillated between 75 and 81 to 84dBa. The Great Organ of Notre-Dame de Paris is a powerful sound system...

Ethan_Johns_-_If_Not_Now_Then_When.jpg

Ethan Johns - If not now then when?

Producer (Ryan Adams, Laura Marling et al) passes to the singer-songwriter side. Solid effort and good songs.

Happy evening (night here)

Oscar

MBP 2012 ML 10.8.3 16 Gb and itunes 10.7 > Amarra Symphony with IRC, A+, PM> Tellurium Q Black Diamond USB + AQmicroUSB adaptor> Chord Hugo> Zensati #3 RCA > McIntosh C2500 preamp> Atlas Mavros XLR> McIntosh MC452 amplifier >Atlas Mavros speaker cable > Focal Scala Utopia > Ears > Brain > Enjoyment

Essential Audiotools Filtered Mains Multiplier/Sablon Audio Gran Corona

Analogue:Clearaudio master solution+SME V+Benz micro LP-S+Clearaudio Sixtream phono cable

HP: Ipod Classic 160Gb>Centrance Hifi-M8>Audeze LCD-X/Audeze LCD-XC

BladeRunner2013_zpsded1d7e8.jpg

Finally had a free moment to rip my Hybrid SACD of Kevin Gray's 2013 remaster of the Blade Runner Soundtrack. I have no ability to listen to the SACD layer in my system, so my comments are with respect to the redbook cd layer.

Richard, you are dead on with your assessment of the sonic quality of this release. The sound is spectacular. Mr. Gray knocked it out of the park. At certain points in the soundtrack, the sound is so incredibly spacious your room seems to become one giant speaker. The sound envelops you. There are so many details, nuances and soundstaging elements I had not noticed with the earlier cd release.

If you like this soundtrack and have an older version, you really need to check this one out. Well worth the price of admission. I love it.

Oscar, Richard, Blake: many thanks for your recommendation. I listened to this SACD tonight after I got it in the mail yesterday: it is a real pleasure. Now I want to see the movie again.

Oscar, Richard, Blake: many thanks for your recommendation. I listened to this SACD tonight after I got it in the mail yesterday: it is a real pleasure. Now I want to see the movie again.

Boris,

You're welcome. I have four editions of Blade Runner including the HD-DVD edition which I refuse to part with even though I do not play my HD-DVD collection for years now. You may already have this edition: I recommend the Blu-ray 5 Disc Complete Collector's Edition which also includes the work print. The score is beautiful in the blu-ray edition in Dolby Digital 5.1.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

Blade Runner Blu-ray.jpg

You're welcome!

Cheers

Oscar

MBP 2012 ML 10.8.3 16 Gb and itunes 10.7 > Amarra Symphony with IRC, A+, PM> Tellurium Q Black Diamond USB + AQmicroUSB adaptor> Chord Hugo> Zensati #3 RCA > McIntosh C2500 preamp> Atlas Mavros XLR> McIntosh MC452 amplifier >Atlas Mavros speaker cable > Focal Scala Utopia > Ears > Brain > Enjoyment

Analogue:Clearaudio master solution+SME V+Benz micro LP-S+Clearaudio Sixtream phono cable

william-tyler-impossible-truth-cover.jpg

William Tyler - Impossible Truth

instrumental guitar folk and rock. A mixture of Fahey and less-heavy Earth (the band) tunes. You can almost feel the sand of the desert....

JonHopkins-Immunity_zpsedb2a799.jpg

breathtaking...

Absolutely fantastic (electronic) music. Just listening right now (my album of the morning ;-). Better than Boards of Canada's Tomorrow's Harvest? I don't know what to say...Anyway, solid candidate for electronic album of this year.