15 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

To appreciate it fully you need to listen via Spotify in shuffle mode 😉

Or return to your teens?

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

20 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

Depends on the specifics of the personal history. As a teenager I listened to Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple mostly. 

I agree. I was listening to alternative rock mostly, and Tom Waits.

• 3 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

Nice album. And very strange painting by Danish artist, Vilhelm Hammershoi on a cover - I guess we discussed it earlier already?

I think it's quite fitting. Could that be intended to portray Brahms' lover, Clara Schumann?

Love Beyond Label: The Tender Letters of Clara Schumann and Johannes Brahms

“I would gladly write to you only by means of music, but I have things to say to you to-day which music could not express.”

BY MARIA POPOVA

https://www.themarginalian.org/2017/02/21/clara-schumann-johannes-brahms-letters/

(...)

In a letter from August of 1855, Brahms writes to his Clara:

Clara, dear Clara… I feel ever more happy and peaceful in my love for you. Every time I miss you more but I long for you almost with joy. That is how it is. And I knew the feeling already but never quite so warm as it is now.

The following May, he amplifies the warmth to a heat:

My Beloved Clara,
I wish I could write to you as tenderly as I love you and tell you all the good things that I wish you. You are so infinitely dear to me, dearer than I can say. I should like to spend the whole day calling you endearing names and paying you compliments without ever being satisfied.

At the end of another letter, penned after Clara and her four youngest children had come to celebrate Christmas with him in Düsseldorf, he signs:

With heartiest wishes for your welfare, and begging you to kiss me,
Your Johannes

(...)

5 hours ago, Musicophile said:

I tried to see if the booklet gives more detail on the cover choice, but only confirms the name of the painting as Interior, Strandgade 30 by Hammershoi, painted in 1901.

The one thing I wouldn't see fit with the Clara story is that it was mostly Clara that was on the road traveling all across Europe as a famous concert pianist, and not her waiting at home waiting for somebody else to return (plus obviously her and Brahms were never formally a couple). 

Why would you say that the woman is waiting? She seem to be facing away from the home, where a chair-less table with a white cloth sits at the keyboard... She could be grieving.

1 hour ago, Musicophile said:

So I did some googling around the picture. It’s actually part of a series that all feature the painter‘s own apartment in Denmark, and the woman (his wife) that is featured on several of the images, often looks away from the painter. 

Couldn’t find a good explanation for this fact, beyond that this position adds to the melancholy that many of these views of a rather sparsely furnished apartment (maybe anticipating Marie Kondo?) express.  

I see, I was referring to the choice of painting/cover for this particular set of pieces not so much to the painting itself.

3 hours ago, TubeLover said:

To me, it looks as though she is awaiting the appearance of someone either returning home to her, or visiting her, whom she cares about. 

But the empty, covered table with no chairs (you cover furniture with plain white fabric in empty houses) speaks to me of loss, and the keyboard stool is missing, which could refer to the person who played it, or composed music... Someone who has left or died and the house is now empty.