John Barry's score to "You Only Live Twice".

image.jpg

Digital system:  NAS (216 play), CAT. 6 cable to Marantz NA6005 network music player. Optical connection to Cambridge Audio DacMagic. Graham Slee Novo headphone amp with Grado Sr80i headphones, and Cambridge Audio 540 amp. Monitor Audio Bronze B2 speakers.

Analogue: Rega RP1, Cambridge Audio Phono stage, amp and speakers as above.

Sonny Rollins - Way Out West

Listening to some Sonny Rollins thank to BobSherman's post!

MI0002077324.jpg

Concur! Also available in DSD DSF64 @ Acoustic Sounds.com.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

Total download size: 2.79GB Total play length: 1:10:47

Cover art included, liner notes not included

Mastered by Doug Sax from the original analog master tapes. DSD Download authored by Gus Skinas.

Mastered off the original two-track tape recorded with a tube AKG-C12 microphone on a tube Ampex 350 machine. Features Ray Brown on bass and Shelly Manne on drums. Over his long and distinguished career, Sonny Rollins has made many dozens of albums. Among those recorded during the fifties, Prestige's Movin' Out and Colossus, Blue Note's A Night at the Village Vanguard, Riverside's The Sound of Sonny, and Way Out West on Contemporary qualify as all-time Rollins classics.

The session for Way Out West, Rollins' first ever in California, was called for 3 a.m. to accommodate everyone's busy schedules. Sonny, who could never be accused of overstatement, announced after four hours of recording: "I'm hot now."

"This SACD reveals the musician's dynamic shadings like never before. Stereo it is, but the sound is so three-dimensional that I didn't mind the lack of 5.1 surround mix. To be honest, I'm thankful they didn't tamper with this classic. I've heard too many botched attempts. The whole affair feels very live, very in the moment - you know, like a jazz record." - Steve Guttenberg, Home Theater

Recorded in 1957.

Sonny Rollins, saxophone (tenor)

Ray Brown, bass

Shelly Manne, drums

image.jpg

Rod Stewart's "Soulbook"...

image.jpg

Digital system:  NAS (216 play), CAT. 6 cable to Marantz NA6005 network music player. Optical connection to Cambridge Audio DacMagic. Graham Slee Novo headphone amp with Grado Sr80i headphones, and Cambridge Audio 540 amp. Monitor Audio Bronze B2 speakers.

The Magic Flute...

image.jpg

IMG_0810.jpg

Finally, MFSL Kind Of Blue Hybrid SACD converted by XLD to AIFF 44.1/16. After listening to the redbook layer through my system employing Amarra Symphony with iRC and also through Oppo 95 coax with only the UpTone Audio JS-2/MMK powering my Mac Mini (thus no Regen Amber in the chain), I can recommend highly the MFSL remaster in SACD as gorgeous and worth adding to my collection which now numbers 9 editions of Kind Of Blue. Prefer the redbook layer played through my computer system, but through the Oppo 95 highly enjoyable. So glad I waited for MFSL to serve up their remaster of Kind Of Blue. It's kinda great!

Enjoy the music,

Richard

Chet Baker, Easy Living, HDt.com DL 192/24 AIFF. The soundstage is as big as your listening room is defined. The SQ is gorgeous and benefits from the latest additions to my system which include a bunch of UpTone Audio thing-a-maghigs. If you enjoy being there, take a front seat and enjoy. Highly recommended but only if you can stand the pleasure of exquisite arrangements et al. (smile)

Best,

Richard

image.jpg

Billy Mintz: The 2 Bass Band ... Live

2-Bass-Band-Live-Cover.jpg

I checked this out on TIDAL based on a 4.5-star rating in the latest Downbeat. Very glad I did, as it's an exciting, entertaining, virtuosic and very nicely-recorded live set from a group I had not heard before. As a new Uptone Audio REGEN (amber) user, I will also point out that this kind of large-band jazz is what the REGEN just chews up and spits out with no sweat. If you want to hear a jazz ensemble with clarity from each player, even when they are all blowing hard, with no congestion or distortion, the REGEN sure helps; this recording is a good test for it. Great stuff!

Thingin' - live recording with Lee Konitz, Don Friedman, Attila Zoller - legends I'd say. Fine sound quality with DR14 and good instrument weight and placements among the stage. Recommended.

0888831619437_300.jpg

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

Really tasty. I'm also working my way through the Hatology catalog on Qobuz. Did not get to this one yet.

grazie - david

Thingin' - live recording with Lee Konitz, Don Friedman, Attila Zoller - legends I'd

say. Fine sound quality with DR14 and good instrument weight and placements among the stage. Recommended.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19532[/ATTACH]

iMac - iTunes(AIFF) - Squeeze 7.9- QOBUZ flac streamer - Vodafone Revolution Router - Transporter - Pathos Classic One MkIII - JM/Focal Daline 3 - dhLabs & Xindak xlr cables - Mapleshade header and footers - AppleTV3

Really tasty. I'm also working my way through the Hatology catalog on Qobuz. Did not get to this one yet.

grazie - david

Yes, they have quite extensive catalogue, mostly free jazz, avant-garde, but with stunning cast, so far I've discovered:

Gary Peacock - Annette

Marc Copland and David Liebman Quartet - Lunar

Marc Copland - Haunted Heart and Time Within Time

and that one mentioned here.

--

Krzysztof Maj

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

Cover.jpg

Christian McBride Trio / Out Here

Mack Avenue

Now being distributed by Blue Coast /Downloads Now in all formats, original recording is in 24.96

This is a very good jazz trio album. But what's even more impressive is the sound quality - it is beyond reproach. I bought the 24/96. Incredibly live and dynamic sounding. "They are in your room" is not an exaggeration here; the drum thwacks sound real and will make you jump. DR of 18 on some tracks, just sounds wonderful.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Nina Simone, Pro Studio Masters, download, Nina Simone's Finest Hour, AIFF 192/24. Highly recommended. I have so many of her albums, why purchase a compilation? Excellent SQ and highly entertaining compilation, e.g.,

This Nina Simone compilation was assembled and released in 2000, part of the Verve Records Finest Hour series. The material on this collection spans Simone's mid 1960s period and includes live and studio takes of some of her landmark and most familiar songs including Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood, I Loves You, Porgy, Wild Is The Wind and Mississippi Goddam.

Also at 96 kHz / 24-bit PCM – The Verve Music Group Studio Masters

Enjoy the music,

Richard

Nina Simone Finest Hour.jpg

Having a Bob Dylan evening;

image.jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19585[/ATTACH]

Christian McBride Trio / Out Here

Mack Avenue

Now being distributed by Blue Coast /Downloads Now in all formats, original recording is in 24.96

This is a very good jazz trio album. But what's even more impressive is the sound quality - it is beyond reproach. I bought the 24/96. Incredibly live and dynamic sounding. "They are in your room" is not an exaggeration here; the drum thwacks sound real and will make you jump. DR of 18 on some tracks, just sounds wonderful.

Thank you for this recommendation. Also sounding extremely good streaming on TIDAL.

A very nice album. :)

Regarding the numbering you mentioned in that article, I did not notice that and really do not know if it was a typo.

Regards

Bob

Is there any place to buy Sax or Grundman remasters as download and as a CD?

--

Krzysztof Maj