IGNORED

SACD ripping using your PS3 (part 2)

My Synchronicity SACD is 2010, Regatta de Blanc is 2013, and Zenyatta Mondatta is 2014 (FWIW Outlandos d'Amour is 2013 and Ghost in the Machine is 2014), I think these are all SHM.

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

Hmmm...the Oppo 93 does not play DSD files, only SACD (meaning HDMi to an AVR or pre-processor). They won't play in your Vega except as redbook.

I don't believe there are any SACD players that are capable of sending a DSD bitstream to an external DAC, except the Vivaldi stack which uses a proprietary connection between their transport and DAC. I think there are licensing issues with Sony that prevent an SACD player (including Sony's own) from outputting a DSD bitstream on their digital outputs. Some may be able to downsample DSD to PCM but not all even will do that.

I don't believe there are any SACD players that are capable of sending a DSD bitstream to an external DAC, except the Vivaldi stack which uses a proprietary connection between their transport and DAC. I think there are licensing issues with Sony that prevent an SACD player (including Sony's own) from outputting a DSD bitstream on their digital outputs. Some may be able to downsample DSD to PCM but not all even will do that.
Yes but, as Ted said, it is possible with HDMI.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

My point was that although the 93 doesn't, the Oppo 103 and 105 have done some limited DSD file playback now for some time. The Oppo 105 has a full fledged USB DAC while the 103 can take some DSF files via local storage; they are both well known to be a nice intro to DSF file playback. Folks like Modwright have modded the 105D and made it a high-end DSD DAC.

My point was that although the 93 doesn't, the Oppo 103 and 105 have done some limited DSD file playback now for some time. The Oppo 105 has a full fledged USB DAC while the 103 can take some DSF files via local storage; they are both well known to be a nice intro to DSF file playback. Folks like Modwright have modded the 105D and made it a high-end DSD DAC.

Right, the Oppo 103 and 105 play Stereo and Multichannel DSD64 files just fine. Handy if you don't own a separate DAC.

EMM Labs and Playback Designs have also made SACD players that send DSD bitstreams to their DACs via an encrypted connection.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

(Please forgive the newbie-ness as I haven't the stamina to read the entire thread here)

so so am I to understand that the only way to backup my SACDs is to use a PS3 and the various hacks and groks listed here and in referenced materials? Is there really no other way using standard PC or Mac hardware?

thanks!

(Please forgive the newbie-ness as I haven't the stamina to read the entire thread here)

so so am I to understand that the only way to backup my SACDs is to use a PS3 and the various hacks and groks listed here and in referenced materials? Is there really no other way using standard PC or Mac hardware?

thanks!

PS3 only...and only 4 models that were in production almost 10 years ago (CECHA, CECHB, CECHC and CECHE).....and...wait for it......they cannot have been updated past 3.5 firmware (or you'll need a hardware mod for another $100-150). Further details in my guide (in my signature).

PS3 only...and only 4 models that were in production almost 10 years ago (CECHA, CECHB, CECHC and CECHE).....and...wait for it......they cannot have been updated past 3.5 firmware (or you'll need a hardware mod for another $100-150). Further details in my guide (in my signature).

Yay.

is it illegal for me to ask someone to do the backups for me?

a

thanks!

FYI

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/funding-making-sacd-ripping-available-through-universal-serial-bus-industry-standard-cables-connectors-and-communications-protocols-between-computers-and-electronic-devices-22124/

sacd-ripper

Hi,

I'm also new in this SACD ripping thing but everytime I got several Errors during the extraction from the ISO like:

Completed: 1% (1,0MB), Total: 0% (54,3MB) at 1,#JMB/secERROR Filter coefficient out of range in frame: 0

ERROR Illegal stuffing pattern in frame: 1

ERROR Illegal stuffing pattern in frame: 2

ERROR Illegal stuffing pattern in frame: 3

ERROR Filter coefficient out of range in frame: 4

Completed: 3% (2,0MB), Total: 0% (54,3MB) at 1,#JMB/secERROR Invalid segment length in frame: 5

ERROR Invalid segment length in frame: 6

ERROR Illegal stuffing pattern in frame: 7

ERROR Illegal stuffing pattern in frame: 9

Anyone knows the reason for this? I used the sacd-ripper.pkg Version 0.37 and made a rip to my USB stick, not via network. Also I used the sacd_extract 0.3.8 and 0.3.7 but without success. It creates a folder and the first track but with 0 KB size.

Thanks in Advance

Regards

Roxanne

• 1 month later...

Hi

This is my first post here. I just purchased a PS3 Fat with SACD capability. It is on FW version 3.55 and I am trying to install the modified FW in order to rip my SACD collection. I am having a problem with the download of the otherOS 3.55 firmware.

I am able to download the file, but I am not sure how I am supposed to extract it. When I downloaded it on my windows 8.1 laptop there didn't seem to be a way to extract it. I downloaded it on my MAC and it looked like it was going to be a zip file (says CFW355-OTHEROS++.zip.download), but when complete the file in my download folder is CF@355-OTHEROS++.PUP Am I supposed to extract this? If so I am not sure how or what program to use. I tried renaming this file to PS3UPDAT.PUP and then creating the folder structure but the PS3 said it didn't recognize any update.

Here is the guide I am using:

https://newtoolbox.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/sacd-ripper-primer-v4-0.pdf

There is a step that mentions if you already have FW3.55 there are other steps to follow, and a link that goes nowhere.

1. If this did not work, you are likely already on stock version 3.55 NOTE: if you are already on
    stock version 3.55 follow these instructions (starting at line 43, to line 60)
    http://code.google.com/p/sacd-ripper/source/browse/trunk/readme

Thanks for any help you can provide!!

--Ray

I managed to get a PS3 with the right firmware. Followed the instructions and am having great results except on two SACDs that result in the PS3 choking: Bob Dylan's "Love and Theft" as well as "Highway 61 revisited". Anyone else have troubles with these discs?

Hi

This is my first post here. I just purchased a PS3 Fat with SACD capability. It is on FW version 3.55 and I am trying to install the modified FW in order to rip my SACD collection. I am having a problem with the download of the otherOS 3.55 firmware.

I am able to download the file, but I am not sure how I am supposed to extract it. When I downloaded it on my windows 8.1 laptop there didn't seem to be a way to extract it. I downloaded it on my MAC and it looked like it was going to be a zip file (says CFW355-OTHEROS++.zip.download), but when complete the file in my download folder is CF@355-OTHEROS++.PUP Am I supposed to extract this? If so I am not sure how or what program to use. I tried renaming this file to PS3UPDAT.PUP and then creating the folder structure but the PS3 said it didn't recognize any update.

There is a step that mentions if you already have FW3.55 there are other steps to follow, and a link that goes nowhere.

1. If this did not work, you are likely already on stock version 3.55 NOTE: if you are already on

--Ray

The link works for me. It has instructions to put the 3.55 bios version into 'Recovery Mode'

Basically you have to shutdown the PS3 from the screen. The restart by holding your finger on the start area until it beeps and then beeps twice. Raise your finger off, and then hold and keep pressed again until the PS3 enters "Recovery Mode" and take it from there.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

Hi

--Ray

Ray, if you have an issue with my guide, I am here via PM< etc.

Use this as a link (if the other doesn't work) for the original install instructions, and follow the reset steps:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/sacd-ripper/sacd-ripper/master/readme

I am novice about SACD ripping, so I have an exploratory question. The Oppo BDP-103 can output the DSD stream via HDMI. Isn't there any possibility to inject the DSD stream into a PC/MAC via an HDMI Audio de-embedder + some other hardware and record the pure digital stream on the hard disk?

The link works for me. It has instructions to put the 3.55 bios version into 'Recovery Mode'

Basically you have to shutdown the PS3 from the screen. The restart by holding your finger on the start area until it beeps and then beeps twice. Raise your finger off, and then hold and keep pressed again until the PS3 enters "Recovery Mode" and take it from there.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I did find the instructions to upgrade in bios mode however it said it could not find the file or something like that. I do have the folder structure setup as noted in the instructions.

I think my problem is that I downloaded the custom firmware, but the instructions say extract/unzip but I am not able to do that. What do I use to unzip/extract the PUP file that I downloaded?

Thanks

Ray

Thanks so much!

I will try this tonight

I found my issue!

The flash drive I was using was 128gb, I guess the PS3 doesn't recognize that. I used an 8gb one and was able to load the custom firmware. I will try loading the SACD ripper tonight.

Thanks

Ray