IGNORED

HiFi Privacy, Data, Groups ... and You May Be The Product

Hi Guys, I figured I'd start a thread on this one because it comes up more and more. Most recently in the Harman Acquired Roon thread, but it's an ongoing concern. We can now just link back to this thread, when it comes up in others, and contain the information to this location rather than derail other threads.

Let's also at least attempt to keep the conversation related to audio and privacy, rather than the CIA hacking into our phones as a general matter. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

10 minutes ago, DuckToller said:

Anyone faces problem with Ubiquiti Edge OS routers, recently?

https://www.securityweek.com/fbi-dismantles-ubiquiti-router-botnet-controlled-by-russian-cyberspies/

Wow. People still leave the defaults in place 😳

“cybercriminals installed the Moobot malware on Ubiquiti Edge OS routers that still used publicly known default administrator passwords.”

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

15 hours ago, Allan F said:

I have never signed up for Facebook because of privacy concerns, so that is not an issue for me. However, what pisses me off is the number of companies that have switched from using their own websites to forcing you to sign up to Facebook if you want to access their site information. Add to that how Facebook and Google encourage you to use them as logins so those behemoths can track your every move.

This is such a shortsighted move by websites. It blows my mind every time I see it. Anyone who has run a website for 15 minutes knows that the more you hook into other sites/services/companies that you don't control, the more hamstrung you are when it comes to making any changes on your site (security, features, etc...). Plus, troubleshooting login problems when you don't control the login process, I'd rather stick a pencil in my neck. 

11 minutes ago, Jud said:

There's a federal law of long standing prohibiting insurers from acquiring or using genetic data for this purpose. And no, there's no financial incentive to try to work around this, for a couple of reasons, which I can get into if anyone really wants to read the technical end of things.

Life insurance is another story though. 

• 4 weeks later...