IGNORED

PGGB and HQPlayer Discussion

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Miska said:

What would be reason for you to try stay anonymous?

MQA was trying to bundle a lossy DRM protected delivery format with 16fs oversampling filters. Delivered in FLAC, but that encryption ruined FLAC's native compression.

IMO, one would want to buy lossless content in standard container without DRM. Just like you buy CD's or such. And then you use what ever playback means you like, This may change over time, the but the content is a separate entity. Not something like SACD, DVD-A, HD-DVD or Blu-ray. Like the HD-DVD's I have, which are not pretty much useless...

People have many reasons for retaining their anonymity. I don’t judge them, but I’ll judge the product or opinions. 

MQA, the company tried to say Archimago’s work exposing MQA was invalid because he was anonymous. I think we all agree that’s senseless. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

10 hours ago, Miska said:

IMO, it would be rather fair to do with that with your own face publicly. Like I did. Mostly those were leveraging other people's work anonymously. So I would say it would be fair to state your sources and present that publicly without anonymity, with your own face. That way you show you are personally standing behind what you are saying.

And I personally value such things as Microsoft AuthentiCode signatures and notarized and signed macOS applications. I generally don't install anything unsigned elsewhere than sandboxed test environments. Not least given current world situation. It is damn about $200/year for Windows and $100/year for macOS to have your proper cryptographic signature on the software! Cannot be too much to ask.

The great thing is that we as consumers can decide what to purchase or not and evaluate risk/reward pros/cons. Fairness and what should be done is in the eyes of the beholders.

There shouldn’t be unnecessary gatekeepers for audio software. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

3 minutes ago, Mista Lova Lova said:

Thanks for sharing this. I've just played it using both PGGB (DSD512) and HQP (gauss-hires-lp and 7EC-Super modulator).

I must say this first - this sounds poor on both, just not a good recording/copy. I can see that the file is 192kHz, so perhaps it's already been upsampled and hence the not-so-great quality.

HQP seemingly has more energy because the soundstage collapses a little and is brought more forward, as in my experience always happens with any of the filters that don't go all the way up to Nyquist.

PGGB restores the depth and space. Transients are therefore a bit further away from me, but if I raise the volume to bring them closer, I can't hear any smearing. Otherwise it's hard to compare because I'm comparing a big, 3D presentation to something more in-my-face.

Have a listen to Tool - Chocolate Chip Factory, especially the drums, on both PGGB and HQP and see what you think.

Stuff like this is way more interesting to me. HQP and PGGB produce different results, like chocolate and vanilla. Whichever one is your taste, that’s fine with me. Even cooler, perhaps use one for certain albums and the other for the rest. Options are fantastic!